Craft Beer Advent Calendar

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Erik-P, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik-P

Erik-P Savant (996) Aug 19, 2013 Canada (BC)

Just saw this in regards to this years calendar. Good thing we had that whole liquor policy review process to deal with all of these silly things:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR BC CUSTOMERS
    Dear Valued Customers,

The 2015 Craft BeerAdvent® Calendar features some cans and some bottles that are on the re-fill program and due to regulations which prohibit the mixing of such containers within the same package in BC, we will not be able to offer the Craft BeerAdvent® Calendar in British Columbia in 2015.

With knowledge of the rules and regulations, we look forward to offering the craft beer lovers in British Columbia an amazing Craft BeerAdvent® Calendar in 2016.

Thank you.
    The Craft Beer Importers Team

2. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Poo-Bah (5,616) Feb 26, 2006 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

Cans and bottles contained within the same package? How appalling! Thank goodness our benevolent liquor regulator overlords possess the moral fortitude to put a stop to this blasphemy before we slide too far down the slippery slope. Why, soon enough you'd have human sacrifice; cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria!

3. sadsongs

sadsongs Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2015 Canada (BC)

Odd considering Mill St's summer mixer is a package containing 5 bottles and 1 can...

Silly laws aside, I won't be missing that advent calendar this year. Not worth it despite the novelty imo when it's twice as expensive as local options.

markaberrant and Hornet2003 like this.
  4. wesbray

wesbray Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Canada (AB)

I won't be buying this year anyway. I bought the second release and was thoroughly disappointed for the cost. I'll wait until I see a good package and buy the following years. If anyone has a list of this years please pm me :slight_smile:

Erik-P likes this.
  5. Yardsale

Yardsale Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2015 Canada (SK)

I have one because I'm a big dumb idiot when it comes to spending money on beer. I'll post a week by week update for you.

wesbray, Mlkluther and Coronaeus like this.
  6. wesbray

Anyone getting the Central City/P49 or Snowcase this year?

7. Yardsale

I will be looking for both of those. The CC/P49 one was actually pretty decent, and the Snowcase was fun last year too. I'll probably end up sharing them with others just so they get in on the fun, and so I actually remember December. 3 last year made for some hazy weekends and days off.

Electros likes this.
  8. wesbray

Haven't actually seen anything about the CC/P49 one as yet. Philips have the Snowcase on their website/Facebook though.

9. Mlkluther

Mlkluther Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2014 Canada (AB)

I'm undecided about the Advent calendar. I've got it the last two years and I was disappointed last year. Some good beers but a lot of very average beers. Plus, it's getting pricey.

I might look at Philips or CC/P49.

Erik-P likes this.
  10. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

The CC/P49 should feature about 12 new beers (6 each) and 12 regular lineup.

11. westcoastbeergeek

My father and I now make one for each other, much better quality of beer choices and simply fun to do!

12. Erik-P

Erik-P Savant (996) Aug 19, 2013 Canada (BC)

picked up the CC/P49 one this year, with half special ones im hoping it will be good! less then half the price of the craft one too

13. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy Initiate (35) Sep 5, 2014 Canada (NS)

For the first time the advent calendar will be available in NS. I don't care for the price, but I think it's good enough for me to split with a friend.

14. wesbray

Anyone opened the calendar yet? Won't be purchasing but dying to know what's in it.

15. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy Initiate (35) Sep 5, 2014 Canada (NS)

I picked one up to split with a friend. We're not going to open it early, as I'd like to keep the surprise to get something out of the $178 price tag! For the cost of it, we likely won't be buying it again.

16. Yardsale

Ouch. They sit at $150 out here. Last year it started at $180 but in a matter of days the price dropped to $150, and late into December it was $135.

17. westcoastbeergeek

@Hal_Hickey and I make one for each other. I may buy the CC/P49 one, especially if there are leftovers in December. 12 new beers this year, 6 from each brewer, that's exciting.

Hal_Hickey likes this.
  18. wesbray

If anyone does get the calendar and decides to open it early, please PM me with contents :slight_smile:

19. sherpahigh

sherpahigh Initiate (0) May 9, 2009 Canada (AB)

Yesterday I read some visitor posts on the Craft Beer Advent Calendar Facebook page about some people experiencing issues with the box. Apparently some cases had bulged out a bit allowing the bottles to slip out of their little door spaces and fall to the bottom with some reporting broken bottles. The page had replied to these people telling them to message them directly but it appears all visitor posts for the page have now been deleted.

So today being the first, I went and opened my first door up and my box is also affected somewhat but the neck of the bottle hung on and I was able to grab it and pull it out through the door. Had a peek inside at the other doors I could see and it seems the rest are in a similar state so no big problem.

Packaging changes lead to this? I don't recall hearing of any issues last year other than the odd person complaining of the bottles being out of order.

Anyway, I'm excited for the Calendar again. Wife has bought it for me two years running now. :slight_smile: December 1st has brought me an Anderson Valley Fall Hornin'. I've never had it before, but have loved the half dozen or so other styles I've had from them so am looking forward to it even if Pumpkin beers aren't my favorite style.

20. sherpahigh

Looks like it's now been addressed and Visitor posts are back up on the page.

21. westcoastbeergeek

22. sherpahigh

Well 2 days in and all hope is gone for the surprise aspect of the advent calendar now. I re-positioned all the beers as they showed in the video, closed up the box, stood it up and listened as everything slid back out and got mixed up inside. Opened it back up and removed everything so as not to actually break anything. The packaging is most definitely at fault here. Disappointing to say the least.

23. wesbray

Sorry to hear that. Kind of ruins the point of the calendar.

Could you beer mail me the contents list? :slight_smile:

24. sherpahigh

I didn't really have a close look at them as I stuck them in the fridge last night but I'll be getting the list from them to follow along I guess and can pass it on.

25. westcoastbeergeek

Oh well, I guess just grab a mystery bottle each day. I stopped buying this one after two, it was just too pricey and I prefer to make my own and exchange it now. Still a fun idea either way!

Erik-P likes this.
  26. sherpahigh

Ya, certainly not the end of the world and I'll still get to enjoy the beers. Wife's probably more upset by it as she got it for me.

Anyway, they sent the list to me if anyone's still interested. I'd post it up here but that might be frowned upon so let me know if you want it and I'll send it on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.