1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Craft Beer = Collector's Item?

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by BeanBump, Apr 5, 2019.

1. BeanBump

BeanBump Disciple (375) Dec 14, 2016 California

With the news of Stone Berlin transferring to BrewDog, I realized that the couple 1.5L bottles I have will soon be somewhat of a novelty item, as the brewery will cease to exist. That got me thinking, is there a potential future market for these bottles as collector's items? Sure, Ive seen various antique (empty) bottles and cans for sale on eBay alongside freshly emptied, modern Cantillon bottles but it sort of makes you wonder, will there be a larger market for this stuff in the not-so-distant future?

I can't tell you how many times Ive heard my parents wish they'd kept some of their old vinyl records, or how many times Ive wished I still had my old, 80's He-Man toys because of the value they carry nowadays. What are everyone's thoughts on the bottles in fridge/cellar being worth more than a hunk of glass one day?

#1 BeanBump, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,511) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Honestly I don't think they will be worth that much. You may find someone who will want one for a few bucks more but I cannot see them commanding high dollars. If it was me I would maybe keep for my own collection if I had one, but I would not hold them to make a score later, probably won't happen.

beertunes and BeanBump like this.
  3. beer_beer

beer_beer Aspirant (217) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

And beer is known for getting spoilt by time, so full bottles may never take off like whisky and wine.

Jaycase and thesherrybomber like this.
  4. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,677) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

A large portion of those freshly "emptied" bottles and cans on eBay are "emptied". Hence the price that is higher than what you would expect to pay for an empty bottle.

5. BeanBump

BeanBump Disciple (375) Dec 14, 2016 California

Yeah, I hear you. I was thinking that there may be a market even for spoiled full bottles/cans. Sure, you cant drink it but you never know. For instance, the NOFX/Stone cans. NOFX destroyed that relationship and cans got pulled but maybe because of that people might collect them years from now? Who knows. Im probably crazy.

jhavs likes this.
  6. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,677) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

At some point someone may be interested. It is an interesting situation with Stone Berlin.