Craft Beer Mustard

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by FondueVoodoo, Apr 28, 2013.

1. FondueVoodoo

FondueVoodoo Feb 12, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Whipped up some beer mustard with a nice stout. Very easy to put together and is awesome on anything.

Rutager, Henamonster and beerserks like this.
  2. arambler

arambler Feb 10, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Nice. I made a stone ground mustard with some horseradish from my garden and made 3 variations: Founders red rye, cigar city maduro, and Bells Kalamazoo stout. It was an interesting experiment, the rye was the best.

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  3. chefjack428

chefjack428 Nov 2, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Once you master the mustard try making a mostarda.
    I recently made a plum mostarda and used gueuze in place of the wine and vinegar, it came out amazing.

4. arambler

Beer Trader

That sounds delicious. What gueuze did you use? I have the trouble the ones that I like I don't want to cook with as they are usually harder to find, rare, or more expensive. I have been experimenting with home made vinegars from red, white, and dessert wine and champagne, but i prefer to work with beer.

I looked up a few recipes for plum Mostarda and was curious as to how you made it? I did not see many that called for vinegar and wine and just want to get a second opinion on how/where to subbstitute beer.

5. chefjack428

Beer Trader

I used Cantillon...Yes I know, but I am a firm believer in cooking with quality beer and wine that I myself would drink.
    That being said, I never really follow a recipe just go off of techniques I was taught. You need wine to cook down the fruit and the vinegar adds a nice flavor to the mostarda. So i decided to substitute a gueuze for those parts. Here is what I have in my head for a recipe.

15 Plums - Cut into medium dice.
    1 Cup of Golden Rasins
    1 Cup of Sugar
    3/4 Cup of Mustard Seeds - I usually use yellow and brown
    1/2 Cup of Dijon Mustard - I usually make my own with Mustard powder, Vinegar, Water and Hot Sauce
    2 Cups of Gueuze - If you feel like you need more liquid once you add the fruit, then add as needed.

Directions -
    Heat the Gueuze and Sugar in a deep skillet, dissolve the sugar and add the fruit. Simmer until the fruit has a jam like consistency. Add the dijon mustard and mustard seeds and simmer for another 5 minutes. Let stand at room temperature to cool or serve warm. You can refrigerate it a save for about 2 weeks.

6. arambler

Beer Trader

That sounds delicious, I think I found a project for the weekend. I wish I could find Cantillon to drink, let alone cook with but I understand the desire to use good beer. I use double bastard for a variety of things and I love using a good barley wine or porter for sauce.

Thank you so much for the info, I can't wait to try it. If you don't mind another question, I was wondering what your thoughts were on a hoppy, IPA/ DIPA vinaigrette? I have tried a blood orange hoppy beer mixture a few times with varying results and was wondering if you could bring your expertise to bare. Thanks again and cheers.

7. chefjack428

Beer Trader

I would recommended either using citrus, chili or honey for making a vinaigrette with an IPA. What you could also do it make a hops infused oil to use in the vinaigrette or get some hop extract and use that as an ingredient.

8. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Beer Trader

I made mustard last year with Stoned Smoked Porter and it was very nice.

Once you make mustard from scratch, you will never go back to buying it.

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  9. FondueVoodoo

FondueVoodoo Feb 12, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

thanks for sharing the mostarda, I'm imagining it might be good with baked chicken, any other suggestions? do you use it in place of mustard? where a sweeter version is appropriate?

10. arambler

Beer Trader

I am thinking pork chops.

11. chefjack428

Beer Trader

Traditionally it is an Italian condiment. I have served it with cheese plates, charcuterie, sandwiches, red meats and offal.
    I made the plum mostarda and served it with crispy sweetbreads.

12. aLenwell

aLenwell Apr 14, 2013 Florida

This has been an eye opener. Never really thought of craft beer and mustard together, might have to try this. Thanks for sharing!

13. arambler

Beer Trader

I made the plum mostrada today and served it with some quickly seared and pan roasted bone in pork chops in a simple marinade and it was great! The mostrada started off a little funky while the gueuze was simmering, but came around to delicious once t got a little thicker, and then with the addition of the Dijon and mustard seed, wow!

I think I have a new staple sauce in my house. Thanks for all the info and if you ever want to share more, please keep me in mind.

14. chefjack428

Beer Trader

Glad it worked out. You can always tweak the recipe and add other fruits to it. I have used - cherries, apples, peaches, pears, figs & orange.

15. ajtorres311

ajtorres311 Mar 13, 2013 Florida

I'm gonna go home after work and try this out. Can't wait!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe