Craft Beer Snobs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RMF5630, Jun 8, 2018.

1. RMF5630

RMF5630 Initiate (16) Mar 30, 2018 Florida

I am a fan of beer. What I am not a fan of is Beer Snobs. I was in Detroit and had several experiences with Beer Snobs at several restaurants this week. A person does not have to be a Craft Beer fan to be a "worthy" patron at a bar or restaurant. I prefer Speckled Hen, Guiness, Peroni, Boddentens or even Stella to Craft IPA's or whatever is the latest beer of the month the owner created in his garage. I am sick of being lectured about the nuances of the latest pure hops IPA and if I don't agree I am either too ignorant to know or too low class to matter. I miss old bars that served a variety of local crafts AND old stand-bys. Bars that were not scared that if they served Miller Light the craft beer would stay in the tap forever. The new bar/restaurant that forces you to drink craft or not at all have no balls. If your beer is good, it will sell. Give the patron the opportunity to compare a craft pilsner to Labatts Blue.

Sorry for the vent, but I am to the point of preferring the "Champagne of Beers" to the latest Craft offering no matter with the millenial, with the foot long beard and tatoos at the bar says.

Rant over.

2. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,669) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

What do you consider 'snobbish' behavior related to beer in particular?

Genuinely curious of your opinion on this topic. Lecturing to uninterested folks is clearly bad taste no matter the subject, but I'm curious if there is anything in particular that stands out. Is it just craft bars that don't serve a macro beer in one of their lines?

EMH73, mickyge, JFresh21 and 9 others like this.
  3. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (832) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

You're not looking hard enough for the right bars, brah.

Did it ever really begin?

4. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,342) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I never had this happen? Was the person simply going over their list of beers or speaking about new ones they have? If that is the case he/she is just doing their job. I never ran into anyone who lectured me if anything it is the opposite and usually very laid back.
    Cheers

5. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Me neither, though I've heard these stories before and they always made me wonder about what, exactly, one has to do to get another bar patron to lecture them about beer?

6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,236) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Do you have a buffalo wild wings locator available to you? Problem solved.

7. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

Same, I have been in more bars/breweries than I can count and usually everyone is super friendly and having a good time. I always chat about new beers they have etc. and never was lectured. I actually have a lot of good conversations while there and loads of fun lol.
    Maybe the OP can fill us in more as to what happened so we can understand better.

8. RMF5630

Mostly when travelling. Where I live, I know what bars/restaurants to hit. When travelling for work, selection is typically thin. Seems to be a Craft Bar epidemic. Very difficult in downtown Detroit to get a normal beer at a restaurant around the COBO Center. Hotel bars were best choice.

9. montman

montman Disciple (365) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

haha, you must live in an awesome place if you can't find bars that proudly serve Miller Lite and are only full of craft beers.

10. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,280) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

It's "tattoos" bruh, and my beard is not a foot long, that's something else.

11. runbirddrinkbeer

runbirddrinkbeer Initiate (143) Oct 24, 2009 Florida

Pretty much my experience. The right question is "what kind of beer do you like?", and then offering like options.....but if someone walks into what is clearly a craft only enclave or a brewpub, obviously there is no desire to level the playing field with Big Beer, nor should there be.

12. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Your foot?

13. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,280) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Good point. "Big Beer" just wouldn't sell at places that cater to craft beer drinkers - and all businesses are about making money. Thusly, I wouldn't walk into any of the "Big Beer" bars near me and think that I could get a craft brew - one of them ONLY sells Budweiser (yes, just one beer). Drink whatever you want, I don't care. And I'll have a pitcher of Bud please.

BeRightBock likes this.
  14. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (533) Dec 12, 2014 California

Not the first time I have heard, be it my friends or the internet (reddit is full of stories), how unwelcoming a craft beer bar can be to beginners or to just people not interested in beer as much as we do.

Responses so far kind of showing that.

15. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

I think a better word is "intimidating", because that has to do with the person in question, whereas unwelcoming has to do with everyone else. Personally, I've never been to an unwelcoming bar and I've been to a whole array of them. Most people are just at the bar looking to have fun and unwind and if you're a friendly person, they'll be nice right back at you.

16. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,010) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

I've been asked "what kind of beer do you like" which I take as a conversation opener and if I respond in a friendly manner everything goes well.

17. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

I guess I can see this happening if say you walk in and don't really drink beer and maybe ask if they have anything else to drink etc. I probably could imagine the staff getting a little perplexed as to why the person is there if they are not a beer person. I guess it would be like walking into small coffee store that only sells speciality coffee and asking for something else they may give you an attitude.
    My guess and this is just a guess is that most people maybe experiencing snobbery maybe are not actually experiencing it but perceiving it as such. The OP seems to not really care about beer, he does not desire the new stuff or really care, give him a Bud Light and move on. So maybe its not snobbery but his lack of desire to listen to beer talk? My brother is this way, he is a simple beer person and when anyone talks about beer he gives that look of really guys. His response is more a lack of interest.

18. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

There are certainly dickhead bartenders out there, but since part of their wage is determined by you, the patron, that number tends to be on the low side. That said, the OP seems to be having trouble with more than one bar. Maybe he should ask himself, "What's the chance that it's me?".

19. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

Exactly. I can bet there are some real jack ass people out there but if it is happening at most places you go it probably is your lack of tolerance.
    Not sure why the OP cannot find a regular bar either, they are everywhere. I can go 2 miles down the way and hit a old school pub that is dirty, dark and serves nothing but the big boys. I think that may be the way to go, or like someone said hit Buffalo Wild Wings or similar places.

20. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Go to any of these places?

https://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/8/

21. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,477) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

"Hi, do you have any Old Speckled Hen or anything like that?"

(Bartender, rolls eyes, sighs...) "Umm...NO. Like, do you even IPA, man?"

I gotta tell ya, that seems to be the kind of thing the op is relating, and it seems really snobby to me.

22. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,532) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I feel that I am said snob. I go to an establishment and I ask what they have on tap. Especially if there is no tap list . I will not choose beer I do not want to drink , either to review or to have with a meal; and while I have been to buffalo wild wings I tend to order their lemonade rather than the heineken or the one local offering. The idea of craft means changing menus. The chain restaurant cannot seem to understand this idea. Also do not go to a steakhouse and order the pies as they say. Buffalo wild wings specializes in wings the same way that brew pubs or craft breweries specialize in beer !

23. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (442) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

That post came across as rather snobby.....

randal, 5thOhio, Dan_K and 2 others like this.
  24. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Devotee (443) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Dude, you either are patronizing bad bars, or you are a bad patron. I've never had a problem at a bar with being treated poorly. The undertone of every conversation I've had with a bartender is, "How can I get you to spend more money and tip me more?"

25. Harrison8

Premium Trader

Wandered into a bar with a small bottle shop selection at the back during my latest work trip. There was only one staff member there at the time, but he spent a few minutes walking me through some good, local selections. One of the few occasions I've tipped on to-go beers.

26. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,027) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

Detroit is infested with hipsters and neck beards. Bad, condescending service seems to be the norm at a lot of the restaurants and bars lately. My buddy and I twice made the mistake of going to Traffic Jam 'n Snug dressed like we did actual work for a living. We were virtually ignored while the ironically dressed kids at tables around us were treated like they were wanted there.

Some of the bottle shops are getting that way too.

27. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (356) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Without looking at other responses, it sounds like you need to scope out your destinations more. If a place labels itself as a craft beer bar, you should probably call ahead or check online to see if they serve labatt blue. A lot of craft places still have craft lagers to try, so that may be worth your time to check out. Other than all that, rude bartenders are a big turnoff for me too. If they truly were just being turds in turn to your politeness, your gripe is legit.

28. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Abso-fucking-lutely.

GuyFawkes and 5thOhio like this.
  29. RMF5630

There is a difference between educating and embarassing. The restaurant is their for the patron to enjoy their meal, not for the staff to show off. That is the impression I get from many Craft beer houses. To keep saying "we are a fine dining establishment" when you ask if they carry a type of beer or even a wine, implies that my choices are not educated or proper. Worse, it makes the customer defend their choice, which is just bad business. It is not that big of a deal, unless you are paying $400 for a meal. For that money, I should be able to drink Labatts Blue without arguing!

30. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,173) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

Snobs are soooooo beneath me.

BSW, rgordon, bbtkd and 4 others like this.
  31. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Ehh . . . this is everywhere. There are places that the wifey and I go here in Pittsburgh that we know to expect less than stellar service, but we go there anyway because of the atmosphere, food, and drink. They're not snobby, however, just not great at their jobs.

T'was just in NYC and every place that we went was aces, whether it was a "hip" place or otherwise. Never had an issue getting something to drink and having the bartender pay attention to me. Maybe I just look like I'm serious about drinking?

32. RMF5630

33. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (409) Feb 19, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

This is why I drink alone.

34. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

With nobody else?

KentT, cjgiant, LarryV and 6 others like this.
  35. Harrison8

Premium Trader

That's fair. We didn't get much details as to what exactly upset you in the opening post, so I was curious where the frustration was coming from. Although details so far make it sound like you weren't served a macro beer at a craft bar.

If they kept saying "we are are a fine dining establishment" when a request for a macro lager is made then perhaps they are a bit snobbish, but then again, there are much snobbier ways of putting it from their perspective. I suppose it depends on your mood at the time and the tone of the response made. There also isn't a great way to sugar coat "no", aside from potentially offering up a craft alternative.

At the end of the day, craft beer bars and pubs are known for serving craft beer, and in my experience, many don't serve macro offerings.

#35 Harrison8, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  36. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,319) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium

No ink, my beard is neatly trimmed, and I just got my semi-annual haircut so I feel pretty...

I get the idea (well, at least a little) and I think @EvenMoreJesus had the right word - it can be intimidating to walk into a new environment. I've had it happen at some small, local watering holes. You get that "you ain't from around here look" by the devotees clustered at the bar. Then I think fuck it they put their skinny jeans on one leg at a time like I do except mine ain't anywhere near skinny... I am remarkably good at filtering people out of the equation...I can ignore like nobody's business.

I generally don't drink when I got out to dinner and I am not a bar scene guy. Where I have run into snobbery is at tasting events - whether "seminars" at a liquor store or some other somewhat limited event. There's one peckerhead who has to show they are the be all, end all, know it all by talking over the presenters and pontificating loudly to people who could give a rat's ass about what they are saying. I find it pretty amusing when there's more than one of these types in the same room - freakin' hilarious.

Short version, there are asshats everywhere and they need to be ignored.

37. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

I always giggle when someone like this treats my wife like she doesn't know anything about beer. She doesn't drink it, but she knows more than most craft beer geeks just from hanging out with me. The looks on their faces never get old. I just sit back and smile.

riptorn, REVZEB, Amendm and 6 others like this.
  38. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (829) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I'm a lucky guy I guess. Never had anything close to an experience like that. Maybe that's a NJ thing!

Urk1127, GuyFawkes and rozzom like this.
  39. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (356) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I just grew out my beard so hipsters would think I'm one of them and give me good service. Really I'm just too lazy to shave, but everyone with a beard now is a hipster so what the hell...

40. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,319) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium

But you aren't out in an establishment standing on a table telling everybody else what to drink, either (Hmmm...you aren't, are you???)

It sounds to me like the OP is more upset about choices than snobbery. If you walk into what is CLEARLY a craft establishment, what's the expectation? Oh yeah - we got both kinds of beer...Bud and Bud Lite? You want to compare craft vs. non-craft beers, there are certainly other ways to go about it, and I know when I walk in the door of a place what to expect - there's this new thing called Google, right? I don't walk into certain Italian restaurants and ask "where's the chicken at" knowing full well chicken is not part of the cuisine and then get pissed off because the waiter looks at me like I have three heads...