Crooked Stave 2014 Cellar Reserve

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Tarheel4985, Oct 23, 2013.

1. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Feb 28, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'll put a cellar reserve beer (anything but bourbon origins or peach whiskey Surette), a BCBS, or $10 of quality locals on it. I felt 90 seconds was generous.

2. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard May 19, 2005 Colorado

Would the 90secs include server fails and acts of Odin?

woodchopper likes this.
  3. FishPondManager

Beer Trader

Any network issues would render a potential agreement void. There haven't been any issues with the extra bottle sales this year so anything during the membership sale would be extraordinary.

4. guyforget

guyforget Nov 12, 2009 Colorado

you think? at most during a bottle release theres 300 people hammering the server, which seems quite unlikely since we all know theres enough that we can all purchase our max allocation. i never purchase right at release. i dont know anyone who has been shut out of a release and someone from CS confirmed that there would always be enough for everyone to purchase the amount allowed.

for the membership onsale, who knows?

5. omgeezo

omgeezo Apr 22, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Lbrett dplum sold out before rerelease date

But yeah there will likely be a lot more people pressing submit during this release

6. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

The "buy what's left" of Persica sold out in less than 5 minutes, but that's a far cry from selling out of $350 memberships. I'd take that 90 second bet.

7. FishPondManager

Beer Trader

Some of you continue to underestimate the beer scene. Nothing surprises me anymore, especially when it comes to sour beer. Those memberships will go fast.

woodchopper and coreymcafee like this.
  8. AAlchemist

AAlchemist Aug 12, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I'm not going to lie i wasn't happy to see a $78 price increase for existing members. (Granted i'm sure legally they were supposed to charge tax last year and may be eating the costs for that) but still that means we are paying $54 more for Less of a membership (we are getting a $25 shirt instead of a $45 sweatshirt)

Now has Crooked Stave begun to make even better beer over the past 2 years? Of course!

I think if they would have included a special Release of a 750ml or anything else then no one would care and would be happy to get the bottle at the price (which obviously wouldn't end up costing them $50) However i have to agree if this is a trend where prices continue to go up i will have to bow out. I understand Supply and Demand and how if they can make money investors are going to push a brewery to persue that path but i also like to think there is a loyalty associated in that if i continue to buy all your beer and support you along the way why do you want me to keep paying increased prices (unless of course your costs to make that same beer is going up)

9. radical

radical Jul 20, 2013 Seychelles

Really? Regardless of where the money is going - tax, cost of production or profits for investors, as you say, it's $78 more. All of the beers in the membership are "special release." That's the nature of being in an exclusive reserve society. Getting one 750 mL or two more 375's would ease the pain, but the cost would still be greater. I think (my opinion and the sense i gather) is that people would rather have none of the 'extras.' As nice as they are(?), I don't need glasses or a shirt, and certainly not another tin tack. I too have signed up for another year, but will also evaluate 12 months from now. So long as my money is right, it is hard to turn the opportunity down.

10. Mebuzzard

I'm with ya on the glasses and shirts thing. It's basically profit advertising, especially with shirts (and obviously CS isn't alone): pay money to advertise a business that isn't yours. While I'm much more lenient with craft breweries, $50 for a shirt that has a Nike swoosh is just dumb. But I digress....

I have about 150 glasses, and plenty of shirts. Don't need more of these, but I do need beer. Priorities, I tell ya :cool:

11. AAlchemist

Beer Trader

Of course the cost would be greater but if it was a 750ml of Walzeblood who wouldn't be thrilled. It would be a nice suprise and a thank you. I know we asked more of you this year but this is our way of taking care of our customers.

Now when it comes to the "crap" with the membership i agree. If they allowed an Opt out to not buy that stuff (assuming it costs $60-75) allowing you to reduce the cost of your membership i would definately take that into consideration. However that still doesn't address the issue that we are paying more money for LESS product and thats my real issue.

claspada likes this.
  12. RuckusDu

RuckusDu Mar 23, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

No more Tin Tackers!!!!!!!

13. melliott2811

melliott2811 May 29, 2010 Arizona
    Beer Trader

The Persica additional bottles didn't sell out in less than 5 minutes. There was a secret trick to that.

That doesn't mean that the remaining memberships won't sell out fast.

14. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Nov 27, 2010 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Just get on the double secret official waitlist for the 2014 Cellar Reserve and you'll be fine.

Gueuze_Goon likes this.
  15. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Random CS question - how many people are planning on hitting them up for the 11/9 final bottle pick-up? That's also the Dry Dock 8th Anniversary so I'm going to have to choose one or the other.

16. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'll be going since it is also a member's party. I'm assuming more members will be at this one.

FYI, That's also the same day as Avery's IPA Fest.

17. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Mar 4, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Are trustees invited to the members party :(

18. AAlchemist

Beer Trader

I feel like Trustees should be invited...(assuming the member can't attend themselves)

What about those that split the membership?

ssteigerwald likes this.
  19. Gueuze_Goon

Gueuze_Goon Sep 4, 2013 Colorado

I'm just a trustee, but I've showed up to other release days no problem, but then again, the tap room was open for the public those days as well. Different now that the Cellar is closed to the public. Either way, I plan on going. Highly doubt it will be a problem.

ssteigerwald likes this.
  20. Prospero

Prospero Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I got a wood card. I'm going. :)

Is the member party a bottle share (IIRC)? I can bring some goods to the party.

21. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Mar 4, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I've got one too...guess I'm going.

22. coreymcafee

coreymcafee May 30, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Shhh...don't speak of that of which we do not speak.

*Cough*Yes*Cough*

buffs9, DividedAvery and joshclauss like this.
  23. saxlover

saxlover May 20, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

i could be a trustee for someone who wouldnt use all of their allocations. send pm.

24. wdeck9

wdeck9 Jun 24, 2008 Colorado
    Beer Trader

What is the deal with the member party aspect of November 9th? Just curious how it will differ from the usual pick-ups.

25. Tarheel4985

Tarheel4985 Sep 14, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Well, this might seal the deal for my exit. Not sure I can justify sticking around with a 26% increase in the cost of membership (with less valuable merchandise, as others mentioned) and a 25% increase in the additional allocations. Plus, I'm not the biggest fan of stricter or more limited pickup times.

While I still believe there are plenty of people who will opt in at these prices, it has probably become a bit rich for my blood. I'm sure I'll regret it later, but I just don't know how I could swing a $200 increase (I averaged about 4 additional allocations per release).

Cellar Reserve Members,
    I would like to take a moment to talk about the 2014 Cellar Reserve membership as we start to look at our year ahead. A lot has happened in the past year- all of Crooked Stave’s growth and additions to the Barrel Cellar have occurred so quickly that it’s hard to imagine that only a little over 12 months ago there were only 2 Crooked Stave employees. This growth has allowed us to introduce more people to Brettanomyces and barrel-aged beers. Within the last year we’ve also grown up and learned a lot about ourselves and our process. Understandably,we have received some questions about how the 2014 Cellar Reserve is going to be run and what is going to be available throughout the year.

The Cellar Reserve will still run similar to 2013, and as returning members the structure will be familiar but with the opportunity to participate in more events throughout the upcoming 2014 year. This last year taught us a lot about putting on Cellar Reserve member releases and what it takes to hold onto beer throughout the year. For this reason in 2013 we are being much stricter about pick up times, and how long after the year we will hold on to allotments. On that note, all 2013 beer must be picked up by March 1st, 2014 or it will go to our brewery bank and possibly be used in 2014 Cellar Reserve member dinners that we are planning. In addition, we recently had to lease a new unit in order to store Cellar Reserve member beer because members are not sending in their trustees and not making it out for Cellar Reserve bottle releases. We never expected that we would have so much beer not being picked up and filling up space in our small unit.

When we started the Cellar Reserve membership it was just Travis and Myself, and the membership was quite small. For the past two years the Cellar Reserve membership has been sold at $300 with tax already included. As the membership has stayed the same price for the last two years, the cost to plan, produce and store these beers has increased greatly and the time and labor is more than we could have ever imagined. That is fine, every beer we release is a labor of love and the Cellar Reserve member beers should have the most passion and creativity go into them. We love making these beers, and the Cellar Reserve exclusive beers are hands down the best beers we make. In order to keep experimenting and producing limited quantities of beers, which we view as our best, it's necessary to increase the price to reflect all the extra costs we never expected.

The price increase will also be seen on the price of bottles throughout the year. Where previously a bottle was valued for retail at $12 and sold with a 15% discount for $10.20, Cellar Reserve member beers in 2014 will be valued for retail at $15 and sold to members at $12.75 per bottle. Given the quality of these beers, their exclusivity for members, and the current market rate of shelf sours in Colorado, we feel that the price fairly reflects the quality and is still discounted for members.

For 2014, Cellar Reserve members will receive even more opportunities to attend special events hosted by the Crooked Stave team. Recently during GABF we held our invitational festival called “What The Funk!?” All 2013 members were given the opportunity to purchase tickets before the general public. For the next year, our goal is to host at least two events that parallel What The Funk!? in 2014, with tickets being made available to Cellar Reserve members first. With our new space at The Source and the Barrel Cellar now available for events, we are looking forward to hosting special events throughout the year and seeing all of you there!

In addition, we would like to start hosting beer dinners for Cellar Reserve members. It is my plan to work alongside chefs and feature exclusive Cellar Reserve member beers. All of this is early in the works and like all things we’ll likely have some kinks to work out, but it’s just one more way that we are trying to expand the scope of the membership.

In hindsight this email should have been accompanied with the announcement that 2014 Cellar Reserve memberships were being offered for sale. We are all very excited about the 2014 membership beers as we start to plan for them and continue to think up ways to make them even better. We hope all of you will join us again in 2014 as we know it will be a lot of fun!

The final release of 2013 is coming up on Saturday, November 9th from 11am-4pm. We are planning to have another big blast with food, bottle shares and some guest beers. Hope you all come out to celebrate what a great year 2013 was and usher in the 2014 year!

Cheers,

Chad Yakobson

26. Denver_Beer_Guy

Denver_Beer_Guy Jun 4, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the email. Really interesting to see the thought process in the email. While I still think this will sell out without a problem, I also think that it is pushing the limits in price point. I'd also venture to say that $15 for 375ml of a high quality sour is well above the current market rate for shelf sours in Colorado. Tough to find a parallel for what CS offers but I've yet to come across a US sour on the shelves in CO for that price at that size. The closest comparison would either be Paradox sours at $20 a 750ml or something like Jester King Atrial Rubicite at $16 for 500ml.

I understand costs and what not just wish the explanation stopped a "quality and exclusivity".

27. Prospero

Prospero Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

It's called AC Golden... still waiting for that membership to open up. Heck that $17-$18 (750ml) Peche, Apricot & Ctayt are looking mighty fine right now....

Oxymoron likes this.
  28. omgeezo

omgeezo Apr 22, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Russian River is at that same $12 price point for same size

29. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

If that happens, everyone can call me "Reserve Member #1." They might not be the best value on the shelf, but their quality is unmatched.

drumrboy22 likes this.
  30. coreymcafee

coreymcafee May 30, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Sorry, I'm already Member #1. How's it feel all the way back there, #2? :D

drumrboy22, jedwards and Domingo like this.
  31. Golden

Golden Dec 4, 2008 California

Any current members on the fence and want to split 2014 with me?

32. FishPondManager

Beer Trader

Exactly, and they fly off shelves. Plus, the RR sours aren't mostly one offs, and IMO, most CS CR beers have been better than RR. Furthermore, I can't go online, buy 8 bottles each of supplication, consecration, temptation, and sanctification, and then go pick them up at my leisure and have a bottle share to boot.

chicano4craft and coreymcafee like this.
  33. Mebuzzard

I wonder about the shelf price of the 2014 beers. Right now, at $6.99 for "regular" stuff, bottles sit for a while. The above-average beer drinker (who would) like to try something new, will not pay that much for a small beer. Beer dorks--like yours truly--will with little problem. This may seem fine, but if the goal of CS is to introduce people to Brett beers, the pricing limits the audience. Now, if the price increases across the board on CS beers, then fewer new customers will come on board. Again, fine for us geeks--more for us--but this may be an interesting intersection of volume v. pricing. I'll be curious and concerned to see how this unfolds...cuz that's some good flippin beer right mmhere.

34. Mebuzzard

Great beer. Brewer is coolio. Still, I can't/won't support the Coors machine. I really feel that they threaten the craft beer world, and if other sour beers climb to ACG pricing, then Coors could flex its distro muscles (although Coors is raising its line pricing).

Maybe I'm paranoid. :eek:

35. Gueuze_Goon

Gueuze_Goon Sep 4, 2013 Colorado

A/C Golden has been putting out some nice beers, Colorambic could be some of the best sours I've had outta the US and Troy is a cool dude from the little I've seen. That said, I don't want to support Coors, and I'm not going to pay those prices to a company that can actually afford to undercut the competition and put some good sours out there.

It's ludacris, kinda like New Beligium charging more to locals while undercutting pricing further out of the state.

36. FishPondManager

Beer Trader

This is a good point. It will be interesting to see the prices on the "shelf" stuff next year. They could probably bear an increase in price for brand new markets, but they will sit even more here locally at $7+.

37. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

The argument I've heard is that both AC Golden and even New Belgium don't want to undercut the competition. That would essentially force breweries like Crooked Stave to match them and lose money or price their beers so high that nobody will pay for them. They're priced high for a reason. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I've read and heard that explanation a few times.
    With AC Golden, I make no claims about their parent company, prices, distribution, strategy, etc.
    I just know that I love their beers and that Troy and Ben are good folks.

38. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Nov 24, 2011 Colorado

Let's be honest. Chad is a smart guy as a brewer and marketer/business man. The price point (which they are super picky about) helps keep that premium imag. He markets more to the beer geek than anyone and Iits working. Distribution is expanding a well as demand.

Mebuzzard likes this.
  39. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Nov 24, 2011 Colorado

Ive had a conversation with a guy over there and asked him specifically what the point of the ac division is. He said all we are really to do is make good beer and have fun.

40. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Maybe the whole thing is an evil plot to take over the craft world by Coors and Troy is just an evil robot…but if that’s true, they certainly aren’t going about it in a normal manner. Beers limited to a single batch sold on a single day in one store? A BA imperial stout priced at 2x the competition? Sours that still haven’t seen a price break after 6 months on shelves? Beers that are only sold and priced high at the Rackhouse? An entire line of beers that are brewed and aged just for small beer events? A flagship non-geeky lager that funds everything else?

Short of “winning hearts and minds,” nothing they’ve done adds up to craft beer industry malice, IMO.

I’m sure if I was a small brewer I might have a different take, but as a geeky consumer I’ve been really happy with their “strategy.” The high price on their stuff means I can actually still buy buy off the shelf 6 months later. Remember when you could do that with Cantillon? I do.

Still, I'm sure there are craft brewers that probably have at least a small tinge of fear in the back of their mind. If I were them, I probably would.

StubFaceJoe likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe