Crux in WA

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by WhiteJordan, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteJordan

WhiteJordan Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2012 Washington

Looks like we'll be seeing our first delivery from Crux on Monday December 16th. The bottles will be Tough Love, Barrel Aged Doublecross, Freakcake BA Oude Bruin, Impasse Saison, Doublecross, Half Hitch Imperial Mosaic IPA and Outcast IPA. (Assuming nothing changes) Very welcomed addition to the Washington market.

2. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,928) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Well that's a bit of good news.

3. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,115) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Nice! Didn't realize Mosaic was being bottled.

4. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 Washington

5. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (100) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

Very Nice. The return leg of my Portland trips now have become a little lighter.

6. PetitChouffe

PetitChouffe Initiate (101) Sep 28, 2009 Washington

Sweet! I definitely love the Mosaic and the Doublecross!

7. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington
    Deactivated

I love your avatar. That chic has an amazing rack.

LumpkinBrews likes this.
  8. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (100) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

I thought the same thing. Two of my favorite things going on in that picture.

I like geography too. Been forever trying to figure out what maps are in the background.

LumpkinBrews likes this.
  9. GiveMeNoBeer

GiveMeNoBeer Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Washington

Left and right? :sunglasses:

checktherhyme, CaptainQ and fsck like this.
  10. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Poo-Bah (2,805) May 21, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Breasts aside, I have a few beer related questions. ;-)

Is the "Half Hitch" Mosaic the same one listed on BA?

I've had doublecross - but this Barrel Version is different, correct? Anyone had it? I thought doublecross was fine, but nothing I'd seek out again.

And though it doesn't say barrel aged in the name of the listed beer, the Freakcake description on BA says it is barrel aged. Is there a barrel aged and a non-barrel aged version of the Freakcase, or only the barrel aged?

From what I can tell, Crux is using the word "banished" to describe their barrel aged beers rather than calling them barrel aged. I like that they're trying to avoid doing the same type of naming / branding as everyone else ... but it also seems to lead to confusion.

11. distantmantra

Trader

Tough Love, Barrel-Aged Doublecross and Freakcake are all Banished beers. They're all barrel-aged. BA Doublecross and Freakcake bottles were released yesterday at the brewery.

The Mosaic IIPA just got the name Half Hitch for bottling. Same beer.

chinochino and Kurmaraja like this.
  12. PetitChouffe

PetitChouffe Initiate (101) Sep 28, 2009 Washington

I was just there, btw. A dude behind the counter told me they were only getting kegs and had no bottles. It was also super busy with Santa being there and all, so he might just have been twitterpated.

I'm mad at myself for leaving without pursuing it further, because I'd really like some BA Doublecross.

13. distantmantra

Trader

Bottleworks got bottles.

I think I'll wait and have family pick me up bottles when they go visit the Crux Co. for New Year's.

14. GiveMeNoBeer

Picked up 4 bottles today:

Half Hitch IIPA: Meh - Nice nose but the flavor fell off quickly without much of a hop punch compared to other PNW IIPAs.
    Freakcake: Subtle tartness followed by huge breadiness - Not worth anywhere near $18
    Doublecross
    Tough Love

I don't have a lot of faith in the other two after the disappointments I've already tried. Great labels but I don't get the beer so far, especially at the price points for the Banished series.

15. distantmantra

Trader

$18?!? Tough Love was $12 back when it was released at the brewery...

16. GiveMeNoBeer

Tough Love was still $12. Freakcake and Doublecross were $18

17. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,261) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

No spiciness? No zesty fruit? No warm barrel character underneath it all? That sounds very different from the beer I enjoyed so much at the Holiday Ale Fest. And not the good kind of different.

18. distantmantra

Trader

I've noticed some big variations between bottled and tap Crux beers in the past.

19. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,797) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Doublecross was $18? For a 500 ml. bottle?

I thought the DC was a pretty tasty beer, but I wouldn't pay that price if it came in a 750 ml. bottle.

20. distantmantra

Trader

They just released a barrel-aged Doublecross. Same size as Tough Love.

21. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I guess that's a bit more justified. Still seems pretty expensive, but I'll probably try it on draft when (if) I see it.

So far, the only beer from Crux I find myself buying repeatedly is the Mosaic DIPA.

22. distantmantra

Trader

I agree on the pricing, that's too high.

23. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (374) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Craft beer is getting way too pricey. :slight_frown:

24. GiveMeNoBeer

Sounds like 2 different beers. Not good

25. GiveMeNoBeer

Their bottles must have a huge variation from the draft versions because I was really underwhelmed by the Mosaic IIPA too.

26. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

So far I've only had it on tap, and on draft it's pretty yummy stuff. I'll definitely give the bottled version a whirl when I see it (as we don't see a whole lot of kegs down here in Eugene, and when we do, it usually sells out fast), but based on your post, I can't say I'm hugely optimistic.

27. GiveMeNoBeer

At least that one's only about 6 bucks

28. distantmantra

Trader

Freakcake and BA Doublecross are a higher price per ounce than Cascade. Ouch.

I love Crux and the people behind it, but those prices are nuts.

29. LiquidAmber

LiquidAmber Poo-Bah (7,304) Feb 20, 2009 Washington
    Society

I really, really liked the Mosaic IPA. I just had one of the new bottles; perhaps a matter of taste preference but I enjoyed the balance on this one. Not a hop bomb, but nice fresh hop taste.

30. GiveMeNoBeer

Just popped the $12 Tough Love and here are my impressions:

Opened at cellar temp: ~ 60F. Nose is not strong. Light char mixed with a little licorice. Tasting a little fruitiness and some underlying vanilla. Certainly not like most Bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts. No roast. No bourbon. Again, nothing to say this is anything but a below average beer. I'm done with Crux. Perhaps I'll ask for a taster of something if I see it on draft, but for shelling out over $50 for 4 12 oz bottles, I'm really disappointed in this stuff.

I will say Tough Love is the closest of the 3 I opened to being interesting enough to garner some value but it still falls short of a premium beer, which $12 a 12 oz bottle suggests.

31. Lansman

Lansman Aspirant (261) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Trader

Are you describing Tough Love or "Banished" Tough Love? Picked up the barrel aged variant yesterday and heard good things, reason for the question.

32. distantmantra

Trader

There is only one version of Tough Love. It's part of their "Banished" line of barrel-aged beers.

33. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Yeah, I really don't understand the pricing on a lot of their stuff. I personally thought Tough Love was pretty good, and as already mentioned, I'm a fan of the Mosaic DIPA. However, the price for TL at the brewpub was $8 for an 8 ounce pour, and then a 10 ounce glass of the Mosaic was $7. That's considerably higher than any comparable DIPA or BA RIS I know of made in the NW, and I'll be damned if I understand how it's justified.

A new brewery like Crux, just getting started, you would kind of think that they might start off with moderate pricing and gradually raise those prices depending on demand. Like you, I find their pricing a turn off, and given all the other options available in Oregon and Washington, I've pretty much stopped buying their beer (other than the Mosaic, when I see it on draft her in Eugene. Prices for the Mosaic in town are considerably cheaper than what the brewpub charges for the beer, which helps.)

34. Lansman

Lansman Aspirant (261) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Trader

Gotcha. I suppose I was confused due to there being listings for Banished beers on BA and I saw Tough Love without this moniker.

35. LiquidAmber

LiquidAmber Poo-Bah (7,304) Feb 20, 2009 Washington
    Society

It threw me off too and unfortunately, I added a listing for Tough Love [Banished] before I realized the beer was apparently identical to the current Tough Love entry; I asked for removal of my [Banished] entry (which has 0 reviews) and addition of "[Banished]" to the current listing name so it is consistent with the other barrel entries. It'
    s still there and I think there is a backlog for product updates and I just hope it gets fixed before someone reviews under my duplicate entry (the current labels say Banished, so it will be tempting.

36. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Zealot (541) Nov 12, 2011 Washington

Sounds like Crux Sux

37. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Zealot (511) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

ISO: Bottles of Crux Sux! Is it as hoppy as last year's? This really is just Banished Series Substitute, amirite??!?

38. GiveMeNoBeer

Batch 1 was better

39. fsck

fsck Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2013 Washington

I got a Tough Love bottle one trip to Portland and really hated it. Thought one review nailed it: "Very tannic, vinous, and raw".

40. Chelsea1905

Chelsea1905 Devotee (424) Sep 3, 2008 Washington
    Trader

It's Europe. Her right tit is pointing in the vicinity of Paris

chinochino likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.