Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

CT Breweries/Beers

Discussion in 'New England' started by Zbyler, May 8, 2013.

1. codasnap52

Beer Trader

Looks like we have a new one to add to the mix...not sure how I've missed this...
    http://www.shebeenbrewing.com/

It seems as though Shebeen Brewing had their official opening last weekend, here is a recent tap list at the brewery...https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...485953.-2207520000.1368116970.&type=3&theater

I have to say, I'm very intrigued by their Concord Grape Saison, Bacon Kona Stout, and a CANNOLI BEER. Anyone give them a try yet (they are barely reviewed on BA), I may pop up there Saturday afternoon to check them out.

Zbyler likes this.
  2. Zbyler

Those beers sound like they're trying too hard........ anyone try any of this stuff?

3. LambAndTunaPhish

Beer Trader

4. sandman3479

Beer Trader

gpcollen1, CTJman, CTBeerPope and 4 others like this.
  5. dortenzio1991

Beer Trader

Beaver beer is terrible.
    Dont forget about Overshores out of East Haven coming this summer.

sulldaddy and smutty33 like this.
  6. pjs234

I went to the grand opening on Sunday and tried the six beers that they had on tap. For me the stand out was their Black IPA. The Bacon Kona Stout was unimpressive, tasted too thin and not enough flavor. The West Cost Pale was OK, nothing special, the Idaho IPA was not great, and German Cerveza was decent. The Cannoli beer was good, but very gimmicky. They basically have a spicy beer (tasted like nutmeg) that is served in a sugar rimmed glass and has shaved chocolate on top. I mean it was good and the sugar and chocolate worked with the beer, but it was just not something that i would order.

I was hoping to try the concord grape saison, but it was not available on Sunday.

7. sandman3479

Beer Trader

That's how I felt about Beer'd's Imp Stout. It was shockingly thin with little flavor. Like "pilsner with brown food coloring" thin...

8. DougC123

Subscriber

They are set up that way because they are 90% contract brewing. 40 vs. 4 of their own.

9. Zbyler

They actually have about 7-8 beers of their own right now. Some are brewery only tho. The contract brewing allows them some play money to experiment with new recipes as well.

10. DougC123

Subscriber

The 40 and 4 are bbls of beer, not the number of beers. Their first year production is slated to be 44bbls. Contract brewing isn't yielding some play money, it is the backbone of the business.

11. DougC123

Subscriber

BTW those are thousands in my previous post.

12. EDNOSE

I guess my point was that it is surprising or disappointing that they are not devoting some of their capacity to distributed seasonals / one offs. Clearly they mainly want to be in the contract business. Until I can see something they are contract brewing substantially improving the offerings in the CT market ... I could care less about their contract operations.

13. DougC123

Subscriber

I wasn't confused about your post, I was responding to Zybler's posts.

14. woosterbill

Beer Trader

Have you not noticed the dramatic increase in Evil Twin selections, as well as the appearance of reasonably priced Stillwater 4-packs? I'd say that Two Roads contract work has already produced clear benefits for the state, and I would wager these benefits will only become more and more evident as time passes.

While I understand the mistrust that many have for contract brewing, Two Roads seems to be doing it right: Phil knows what he's doing, QC appears to be top-notch, and they don't seem to be contracting for just any profiteering yahoo who wants to cash in on the craft trend with some gimmicky idea. Now, they may well prove me wrong on that last point, but business is business.

I'd much rather see contract beers coming out of Two Roads than Mercury, FX Matt, Minhas, etc.

15. EDNOSE

Down here in Fairfield County ... I have seen none of those benefits at the places I shop.

I'd still rather see the CT brewery with the enormous capacity and the experienced brewer brewing their beers. I am sure I will enjoy benefits from the contract side of it. I'd just rather see Two Roads produce more Two Roads beers that go to market.

16. ILOVESTOUTS

Beer Trader

Amen! Availability to Biscotti Break is already worth it as a consumer in CT. It is still their first year and I only see it getting much better. Can you say Firestone Walker? *crosses fingers*

17. garfscores

Beer Trader

Had the Two Roads Henry's Farm Dopplebock recently. Good quality beer for the style. My wife LOVED it. I think they are going to put out more beers, but are taking a slow/ smart approach to marketing their brewery.

Zbyler likes this.
  18. TheLostGringo

Been meaning to stop here as they are in the next town over. Anyone else been to Broad Brook, actually I am not 100% sure they are even open yet?

http://broadbrookbrewing.com/

19. EDNOSE

I've had the Doppelbock and Igors Dream on tap down in Stamford at Coalhouse Pizza. Again, I just thought they would have bottled more one-offs for retail (i.e. not just the brewery only release on Igor).

20. bootdown21

Beer Trader

21. garfscores

Beer Trader

The dopplebock was a bottle that I bought at a retail store...

22. jim102864

Relic's IPA's have been very enjoyable and Queen Anne's Revenge, an Imperial Porter is one of the best of the style I've had in some time. Mark is eager to experiment and push the envelope whenever he can as evidenced in most of his beers. Give him more time and I think those who haven't tried Relic or don't like the few they've had will be converted. NEBCO anything is solid. Igor's Dream from Two Roads was an excellent effort and I'm hoping they do fewer pedestrian styles that everyone brews and more interesting palate teasers such as ID. I agree with the general sentiment that quantity does not necessarily mean quality. More breweries are great but more cutting edge brews and flavor complexity is what we all want.

codasnap52 likes this.
  23. jazzmac

Strictly speaking from a business side, how much of total beer consumption are BA users? Probably less than 1%. So while we enjoy our over the top triple IPAs and quad barrel aged barley wines, we are a small minority, vocal yet small. The majority of beer is purchased by someone who is brand loyal and doesn't move around much, so Two Roads is catering to those people.

YeastofBurden and Zbyler like this.
  24. Robtobfest

Beer Trader

Not sure if anyine has tried Beer'd brewings black ipa but it is awesome! Great citrusy hop profile. Also thier Wit was solid as well. Imp stout was not good. Try the wit and black ipa before writung them off though.
    quote="sandman3479, post: 1286584, member: 110799"]I agree with you two as well. NEBCO, then a FAR FAR falloff.

I didn't mind Road 2 Ruin, especially at the bomber pricepoint. Thought the White IPA was terrible, that may have been through dirty lines though.

Also thought that Backeast's Imperial Stout was good for it's pricepoint (9.99/750ml). And yes, Relic could use some work.

Was VERY disappointed with Beer'd Brewings Imperial Stout. Was REALLY light with next to no taste.[/quote]

25. Drufus

Agree with NEBCO's awesomeness.

I do enjoy Cavarly's brown ale.

26. DougC123

Subscriber

27. Apuzarne

Beer Trader

I really like the Back East Brewing companies porter and I am also looking forward to the release of their summer ale next Friday.

28. sandman3479

Beer Trader

Going to Shebeen today. Hoping it's atleast decent.

29. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

Ha

pjs234 likes this.
  30. CTBeerPope

Beer Trader

I thought a few of my friends and I were the only ones who...well, now that I really think about it I should have known...

CTJman and LambAndTunaPhish like this.
  31. cheers55

Subscriber

Been very impressed with Shebeen's offerings the times I've been there. Creative beers with balance.

32. sandman3479

Beer Trader

I thought they were ok. The kolsh was decent, as west their West Coast Pale Ale. Some of my buddies liked the Rye Porter.

The Grape Saison was a huge letdown. The Canoli Beer was an interesting gimmick, but I couldn't imagine drinking more than the 5oz taster they gave me.

Like the place itself though. Pretty good vibe, easy to find, busy but not TOO busy. I'd go again.

33. opwog

About Two Roads... I see that most people in this thread simply think that they are OK at best and mainy qualify them as part of a crowd of breweries that are a distant second to NEBCO. But when I look at their beers, they are rated (on this site) better than "just OK" or many of the descriptors used here. Also, the reviews are not too far behind NEBCO beers; versus being a distant second as most people describe in this thread. And while they aren't exceptionally high ratings, breweries and beers that are just OK, should be getting mid to low 70's on their beers, yet the absolute lowest rated beer of theirs is an 81 (good). And I am not looking to see if people in the thread may have been over generous or not in their review versus the opinion that they really walked away with. The whole reason that I mentioned this is because of how many reviews that have on here. For a brewery that has existed for just 5 months, to have multiple beers accumulating 70+ to almost 80 reviews already, is really unusual. I was just wondering how a brewery receives that many reviews over just 5 months that are almost 40% as many reviews as NEBCO's omnipresent Elm City has taken 9 years to get.

I have seen a lot of new breweries come onto this site, many with solid funding and distribution right out the gate and nobody that I have seen has accumulated reviews this rapidly. I am not trying to spin a conspiracy theory here, but just want some insight as to what type of marketing to the BA community has very successfully gotten such a rapidly growing number of reviews and reviews that seem to be disproportionately higher then how people on this site generally speak about the brewery and their beers.

34. Pahn

Beer Trader

two roads is an enormous brewery, and more people casually review than post actively on the NE forum.

35. opwog

I tried to make all the relevant qualifiers in that post and included knowing breweries of similar size and distribution that still don't get reviews that rapidly. An easy comparison would be Golden Road in Los Angeles:

http://www.brewbound.com/news/golden-road-growing-capacity-to-60000-barrels

And that is a year old article, to give you an idea of how large they are in a state (CA) that has far more active BA reviewers than CT. Also, Two Roads capacity is being shared for contracted production, which makes the Golden Road comparison very close.

And I am admiring the marketing to the BA community to get reviews so rapidly and reviews that seem exceptionally generous to what I was reading here.

36. Pahn

Beer Trader

i don't know. maybe there's a conspiracy.

sandman3479 likes this.
  37. RMoeNay

There was a lot of hype about Phil Markowski taking over with boat loads of money... They opened in a good location, for both access to the brewery and the type of cliental they wanted living near by.

38. codasnap52

Beer Trader

The "quick rating" feature has a lot to do with the # of reviews they have. If you look closely they don't have nearly as many full reviews. I think that their high number of reviews is based on the fact that they started off as a new (enormous!) brewery that was visited by a lot of people, and their limited opening portfolio of Two Roads beers only gave you a few options to review. Now that they are pumping out more styles and as their opening hype has slowed I would be surprised if further offerings get the same number of reviews so quickly.

Also, I had a chance to visit Shebeen Brewing and overall I was pleased with the visit. The location in Wolcott wasn't too hard to get to and the brewery itself is a nice size for a start-up. The atmosphere was very pleasant and I really enjoyed the fact that they are pushing creative styles on the CT beer scene. I wasn't blown away by any off their offerings, but most were very solid and the Cannoli Beer was a ton of fun to try! The staff and brewers were enthusiastic and pleasant, and if they stay on their current course I will be happy to support them. So for those who haven't yet visited, pop on over with a couple of friends and enjoy the tasting if you have an hour to kill on the weekend. The prices are REASONABLE too, so grab a growler on your way out. Overall, I'm glad Shebeen has opened and I wish them the best as they continue to help improve our CT beer scene.

woosterbill likes this.
  39. EDNOSE

I also think Two Roads likely has so many reviews because with the money involved they could try things out before they opened and they hit the market with 4 different 12 oz bottled offerings that were very widely available in CT. Almost no start up can pull that off. Throw in that none of these suck and add in the buzz from such a large facility in CT and the number of reviews is not surprising really ...

40. sandman3479

Beer Trader

I would argue the White IPA sucks. Sucks might not even be strong enough, actually...

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe