1. Join us for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest on Sat, Sept 17 in Portland, Maine. Limited tickets still available: beeradvocate.com/belgian
    Dismiss Notice

CT Sunday Sales

Discussion in 'New England' started by braugon, Sep 25, 2013.

1. braugon

braugon Mar 14, 2013 Connecticut

So it's been almost a year and a half since the law passed allowing Sunday sales.

Any thoughts on how this has played out? Particularly, with regard to the small, local package stores, many of which were against this law.

My anecdotal observation is that I have yet to see a small package store close up shop, since the law was passed.

Curious what someone more involved in the CT beer industry thinks.

HopNuggets likes this.
  2. dortenzio1991

dortenzio1991 Aug 12, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

It has worked out well for some but for most theyre just opening an additional day to see the same profits they would have normally done over the weekend being closed on sunday

3. Ultra-Plinian

Ultra-Plinian Mar 1, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I have heard this too and that it hasn't been worth it for them to be open on Sunday based on the Sunday sales, but that they would be viewed poorly if they were not open on Sunday.

4. braugon

just seems like the day off was a bi-product of the law, rather than by design, being that the law is rooted in puritan belief that people should do two things on sunday, jack and shit.

that being said it would unquestionably suck to have your one day off, go the way of the dodo

i think it's accurate that the same amount of revenue is coming in, people wont buy more just because of an extra day, they will spend the same regardless of hours, if liquor sales were allowed one day per week, i know id be spending a lot more per visit

5. DougC123

DougC123 Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

I live near the NY border and have for all of my drinking life. That said there were always occasions that required a Sunday trip to NY for booze. I spend that money in CT now, and I imagine others in my area now do the same. I can see stores in CT near the border recouping some previously out of state sales.

woosterbill and davey101 like this.
  6. NuclearRich

NuclearRich Apr 10, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

A store that is very close-by to me has really gone downhill in the last year. They used to have a reasonable selection, but now they seem to really be focusing on just selling what they can sell fast. Its a family owned place and I used to keep it on my list of places to find a good random beer for the weekend

7. DougC123

Subscriber

And that's related to Sunday sales how?

8. NuclearRich

NuclearRich Apr 10, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

My own anecdotal observation.

braugon likes this.
  9. rdilauro

rdilauro Mar 8, 2010 Connecticut
    Subscriber

This is a big topic for me. When the bill to allow package stores to be open on Sundays, I was much against it.
    My view as being part of a CT Package Store
    - Additional staff was required to have appropriate coverage.
    - Environment changes. Prior, Coolers set to turn on/off, but off on Sundays, Lighting changes, etc
    - Ordering/Delivery changes. Now for 7 days, ordering needed to be adjusted, deliveries also
    - Negative vibes from employees as well as customers

From a Customer's Point of view
    - I have the extra day to do my beverage shopping
    - I dont have to worry about not having enough come Saturday night
    - I am just curious to see how it works

Now over a year has gone by. From the employee point of view it wasnt good. That just meant an extra day to work. Now for me, being retired 4 years ago from the iBig Blue, I like to have my weekends free. Before, I only had to think about Saturday night working, now its also Sunday working. Puts a crimp on the social life.

I remember listening to one government representative explaining that having stores opened 7 days a week will bring additional revenue to the CT government (via taxes), That really has not happened. Before people would shop on Fri/Sat and the gross proceeds would be $25 (this is just for example) and the customer count would be 100. Now that we are opened Fri/Sat/Sun, the gross proceeds are now $27 and the customer count is 101. Now instead of figuring on two days, its now three days. Its spread out. Yes, there is a slight, so very slight increase, only because you are open.

I know several local package store owners that refuse to open on Sundays. Be in their on views on Sunday being a day of rest, or because of their locations, there is not enough traffic to warrant being opened on Sunday.

I think this Sunday law has different impacts on different parts of the state. Now for us, being located next to Dan bury, which is next to Brewster,NY, people were accustomed to hopping over a few miles to pick up things in NY. Same applies for lower Fairfield county, where people could easily hop over to Purchase, Rye or other New York spots. Again, whats the big deal?

But take folks living in Hartford, there really isn't a quick hop and skip to go to another state to purchase your beverages son Sunday. So for them, this is good.

I would be very interested in seeing some statistics from the different cities in CT to see how they have afared with the additional day.

davey101 and braugon like this.
  10. braugon

Thanks for the thoughtful post.

I'm curious what you mean by "negative vibes from customers", like, customers were upset if you weren't open Sunday? Or..

Thanks again, cheers!

11. DougC123

Subscriber

"I think this Sunday law has different impacts on different parts of the state. Now for us, being located next to Dan bury, which is next to Brewster,NY, people were accustomed to hopping over a few miles to pick up things in NY. Same applies for lower Fairfield county, where people could easily hop over to Purchase, Rye or other New York spots"

My go to spots were Vista Market from Ridgefield and Brewster B&S from Bethel, now like I said I spend in CT, Danbury, Newtown or Bethel.

12. kenpo23

kenpo23 Oct 8, 2009 Massachusetts

Interesting thread. My mother works at a packy in CT and they have decided to remain closed on Sundays. The staff did not want to work the extra day and neither did the owner so they don't bother. It appears to have not effected their sales any and the regulars have yet to complain apparently.

Anyone else noticed some packy's not being open Sundays??

13. rdilauro

rdilauro Mar 8, 2010 Connecticut
    Subscriber

The negative vibes I got from several customers were more or less religious oriented.. They didn't think it was right be open on Sunday (but they came in anyway to buy things)

By now, almost everyone has accepted the fact that CT stores are open 7 days a week. Many other people also think we should be open longer hours (as it is in Florida and some western states)

14. DougC123

Subscriber

I think what they will notice more is that in CT they aren't called packys.

15. braugon

sure they are

phorestfreak likes this.
  16. DougC123

Subscriber

I'm in southern CT, lived here 39 years. Never heard the term until friends from MA and RI used it.

17. paleforce

paleforce Oct 24, 2007 Connecticut

Been in Ct. 42 years. Always been called packy's!

smutty33, jim102864, kenpo23 and 2 others like this.
  18. braugon

i wont bother naming but lots of ct spots have "package" in their name, as a matter fact I passed one on rt 17 going to the Durham Fair today.

19. davey101

davey101 Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Always called them that up here in the Northeast. Probably that 'ol NY/MA divide in the state.

20. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Definitely are "package" stores in Fairfield County too

21. kenpo23

I was raised in CT... and I have never met anyone who did not call them Packy's. What bubble have you been living in?

smutty33 and davey101 like this.
  22. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Sonoma in Glastonbury doesn't open on Sundays. Owner simply cites wanting to spend time with his family as the reason. Great store, btw.

braugon likes this.
  23. DougC123

Subscriber

It wasn't the term package but the slang packy I was referring too. But we digress.

24. DougC123

Subscriber

Every single person you have met called them that? That is an amazingly tight statistic.
    Fairfield County on the NY line. And we continue to digress.

25. braugon

the occurrence of one precludes the occurence of the other, read; mutually exclusive, but i digress, from your original off-topic digression

26. DougC123

Subscriber

Not really but them are some big wurds.

27. braugon

yo dog, states that be havin package stores, be callin them shits packies. nahimsayin? but you got us all digression and what not, now let's get back into this topic playa

phorestfreak likes this.
  28. pbrian

pbrian Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Well, Fairfield County isn't really CT

phorestfreak and kenpo23 like this.
  29. kenpo23

Yeah, I realize that it seems like a tight stat but to be honest it wasn't until I was in my twenties that I heard someone call it a liquor store and I'll admit I was confused. But hey, I come from a family of big drinkers...who come with big drinking friends man... that's what you get when the family works in a... PACKY! ;):)

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe