Cycle Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Sabtos, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Gibspeed

Gibspeed Initiate (82) Feb 9, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

The experience was great, you just have to use a business address. With that said, it seems more like Kolo maybe gone for good, but we'll see.

Bottles generally end up being 30-35 per once you factor in shipping, which really isn't bad for what you're getting an the fact you don't have to travel to FL to get them.

With that said... I'm real happy the just posted this, as we'll be flying in tonight and should be able to pick up some anny bottles, along with everything else. Huricane or not, I'm pretty pumped.

2. MJS08

MJS08 Initiate (79) Jul 29, 2014 Florida

FYI, the 11AM track shows the storm going up I95, on the east side. Enjoy your stay.

Gibspeed likes this.
  3. Gibspeed

Trader

Trip ended up being fantastic. Somehow the least amount of rain we've ever seen on a Florida vacation.

Went to Cycle Friday night after we got in, had the BL Collab and Blend 3. Both pretty much blew me out of the water. I know Cycle, as a whole, gets far less hype now than the quality of their beers suggests they should, but I REALLY think that BL collab gets far les hype than it should. Cycle mentioned "Raspberry Scooop?" In their description of it and I think it's dead on.

Stopped at HS for the Saturday release, along with Garagiste and AC. HS Bottles were really delicious, the Maple being a bit more bitter than I'd expect, but it did balance the sweetness nicely. The PB&J was really well done, not overdone on either adjunct. Not blown away by either, but liked both.

Getting to then have Cupcake and BA Cupcake side by side was definitely a treat as well... and Reg cupcake blew away BA for both my wife and I.

Headed from there down to AMI and spent the week there. Went back up into St Pete on Wed and hit Cycle again, tried 2 more vanilla bottles, both were great and clearly different enough to easily pick out the bean changes. Then a quick stop at Green Bench on the way back to AMI, where I grabbed cans for the rest of the week at the beach.

All in all, was a great trip and Cycle impressed once again. I wish I had more room to bring more bottles back from our trip, but I'll gladly buy up almost any bottles they can end up getting up on Tavor.

SWChi, DrinksAlone, SFC21 and 9 others like this.
  4. Piels25

Piels25 Initiate (188) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'll be staying in Tampa next Monday night and wondering what the best bet is for Cycle. I'm entirely confused between their website, Instagram, and posts in here.

1) Is there a spot to see what's on tap currently?
    2) Is there a place to see what's available for bottles?
    3) Is the tap room worth a visit? I'd be driving from downtown or taking what I assume is a costly Uber?

Any guidance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated, as I can't be the only one from out of town asking the same questions. Any additional thoughts or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

5. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Disciple (397) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

1) Is there a spot to see what's on tap currently? Pretty much no.

2) Is there a place to see what's available for bottles? Pretty much no.

3) Is the tap room worth a visit? I'd be driving from downtown or taking what I assume is a costly Uber? Absolutely worth it and bottles and drafts available will usually be well worth the trip.

You can sometimes see current offerings on social media but not usually.

My recommendation is go there and I will tell you that you will not be disappointed.

Piels25 and Scope4Beer like this.
  6. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,122) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

One reliable rule and one rule only when it comes to Cycle: they are not customer friendly.

7. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (95) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

The best you can do is go on Untappd and hope someone post a pic of the board. Seconding sabtos, customer service is not their strong suit

If you’re in Tampa and not St Pete think it would probably be easier/more worthwhile to hit up Angry Chair. Their draft list has been looking really nice lately

Piels25 and SWChi like this.
  8. Piels25

Piels25 Initiate (188) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

I browsed Untappd last night and couldn't find a recent pic (or any pic for that matter) of the board. Does Cycle do tasting size pours or full pours only? Assuming I make it to Cycle, can I assume it's probably worth traveling with a 6-bottle shipper?

I've been to Angry Chair in the past and hoping to experience Cycle for the first time, though the Imperial German Chocolate Cupcake Stout may sway me if it's still on tap.

#128 Piels25, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:13 PM
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 12:26 PM
  9. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Aspirant (270) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

1)The tap room
    2)the tap room
    3) especially if you want answers to the previous lol

Best bet is to go. You'll enjoy

DrinksAlone and Piels25 like this.
  10. Gibspeed

Trader

No tasting size pours, full pours only... because Cycle. So you're looking at a few hundo and waking up naked on the beach if you run through their taplist...

With that said, it is absolutely 100% worthwhile to go. The BA taplist last weekend was...

BL "Raspberry Scooop" Collab
    Jackie O's BA Stock Ale Collab
    Horus Collab
    All 5 BA Nilla's + All 3 Nilla Blends

And for bottles they had everything above + 5 or more other bottles.

SWChi, Sabtos and Piels25 like this.
  11. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,383) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Completely disagree. I’ve never had anything but good service there, atthe bar and with any type of issues with bottles.

Replacing infected bottles or Refunding. They pour the beer you ask for, ask if want another, and close you out. I’m never without a beer when I want one.

Just because they don’t do it with a smile doesn’t mean they are not customer friendly.

7clutch and shand like this.
  12. Sabtos

Society Trader

Not talking about a smile.

I mean like 3 dozen other people in this thread's numerous histories have commented on this.

13. shand

shand Meyvn (1,418) Jul 13, 2010 Florida

I've also always been treated very well at the taproom. I was there a few days after the anniversary bottles were released, it was raining that day and we were let in early and offered a beer while the opener set up.

7clutch likes this.
  14. DrinksAlone

DrinksAlone Initiate (64) Jan 18, 2017 Florida
    Trader

This is the first time I have ever seen someone disagree with their awful customer service. It all starts at the top and extends downward. They are as pretentious as it gets. It's so bad that I don't even enjoy spending time or $$$ there. Rather buy my bottles as go elsewhere.

Viclovescourtney likes this.
  15. Tim3167

Tim3167 Initiate (60) Aug 12, 2014 Florida

I have to say that the folks behind the bar have also treated me well over the years. I mean it is what it is to a certain extent. I don’t think warm banter is their specialty but I prefer the experience here over some others.

7clutch likes this.
  16. Sabtos

Society Trader

Warm banter?

Like wtf are you guys talking about.

I don't give a fuck if someone smiles at me when I'm being served.

I don't give a fuck if someone talks to me. Get me a beer, and let me pay, and move along.

That's it.

And they have performed poorly in that regard every time I've been there, and for many others as well.

DrinksAlone likes this.
  17. SWChi

SWChi Zealot (577) Oct 25, 2012 Illinois
    Society Trader

Excited to be visiting them next week for the first time. I'm hoping to bring home a few bottles.

DrinksAlone likes this.
  18. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (85) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

Lol, the level of service debate is hilarious. If you go in there knowing what you want with the expectation you can only order a full pour and you aren’t allowed a sample before dropping $12 on a pour you’ll be fine.

On the other hand, if you bring your mom who likes to sample beers with you and your dad, but really doesn’t have any beer knowledge and she’s really bubbly and loves asking questions and needs help with a suggestion of what to order and would prefer to taste something before she makes a decision it’s gonna be a little awkward there as opposed to other bars that really want to deliver a positive experience to everyone.

the_bavarian likes this.
  19. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Aspirant (216) Jun 30, 2011 Florida
    Trader

Just being a casual observer of this conversation on hospitality at breweries, I can’t think of many that have been outstanding in the service department. I have been visiting breweries all over the country for many years now and it seems to be a trend that as the quality of beer goes up the more douche bags you’ll come across behind the bar. This isn’t across the board and there are exceptions to the rule but it seems to be the case more often then not.

On the topic of Cycle, I have never felt particularly welcome there but at the same time I don’t take much stock in those things as I don’t expect it. I will tell you that I have been treated worse, at times, by people behind the bar at CCB then the socially inept guys at Cycle. Just my two cents.

Lare453 and 7clutch like this.
  20. Sabtos

Society Trader

That's my ideal experience, and also, exactly the opposite of what occurs there.

There's been a couple times I was 3 seconds away from going behind the bar and pouring a beer myself. Place would run much smoother if it were a pour your own bar, laughable as it is.

Again.

Again!

I don't want hospitality. I want to be able to order a beer and have it in hand with relative, pain free ease. They have failed at this every time I've visited.

I'm not from a generation that expects hospitality for a simple beer pour. That said, they also deliver poor service, whilst being dicks. That doesn't paint my judgment. Simply put, they don't take an order and pour a beer in anything remotely resembling a timely fashion.

Referring to CCB, I've had a number of people be dickish or short with me there, but at the same time, they're processing 10x as many people most of the time, and churning through them rapidly. They at least have a good reason to be assholes, they've earned it.

#140 Sabtos, Sep 12, 2019 at 8:51 PM
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 8:57 PM
  21. Tim3167

Tim3167 Initiate (60) Aug 12, 2014 Florida

You do know it is ok for others to have a different opinion than yours, right? Apparently you have had a different experience than I have....and that's ok. It certainly doesn't invalidate my experience though does it?

22. Sabtos

Society Trader

My problem is not at all with differing opinions. There seems to be a failure of comprehension here, or a total misinterpretation of the criticism.

Every single response is putting words in my mouth, as if only a "SMILE" or "WARM BANTER" or "HOSPITALITY" would make it all better. Or if I were able to order my mom a zillion samples I'd be happy. Those are absurd criticisms for anyone that frequents breweries and typical bars.

At the same time, you're all basically acknowledging that Cycle obviously lacks these things so that must be what I'm talking about. Which in and of itself--being words out of your mouths, not mine--speaks volumes.

But I'm not talking about any of that.

It's about doing their jobs decently, and they don't.

I've always advocated for them simply closing down the bar and focusing solely on to-go sales. Or maybe selling the bar to someone that actually wants to run an active bar in a popular downtown strip. It's clearly not the part of their business they have any love for.

23. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (85) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

I wasn’t calling you out about your mom. I was talking about my own specific experience with my mother where she asked to sample 1 beer and they said “no” and stared her without any explanation so she got a water instead spending a bunch of money on a beer she didn’t know if she’d like or not.

24. Sabtos

Society Trader

Pretty golden though.

25. arkitip

arkitip Initiate (26) Mar 10, 2016 Florida

I'll join the apparent minority that hasn't had any problems at Cycle. They get me a beer in a timely fashion and check back in when it's time for another. There's been a couple of really cool things they've done for me in the past too.

odcardinal and shand like this.
  26. darkwing1

darkwing1 Initiate (136) May 13, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I'm with you...been there quite a bit over the last 5+ years and never had a "bad" experience, but can remember more than a few "good" experiences. From getting 2 pours of a beer week beer that most people didn't get one pour of because I was bellied up at the bar all day, to having the bartender give me a free pour from an open bottle behind the bar, to Doug walking out on the sidewalk and pouring people half glasses of a few rare non-cycle beers. And, I have never felt ignored nor had to wait to get served outside of crazy busy times (beer week).

shand likes this.
  27. DrinksAlone

DrinksAlone Initiate (64) Jan 18, 2017 Florida
    Trader

I could care less about receiving a "warm smile" or seeing a "friendly face" .
    What I do expect though is some basic information about their beers if I have a question. I'm cool with all of the Cycle hatred though, I personally can't stand them, but I do love their BA stouts and it makes it a lot easier to get their bottles (of course there are other factors that go into these bottles being super easy to land).

28. RyanGonzalez

RyanGonzalez Initiate (61) Feb 16, 2011 Florida

I was there that day. We were a group of three that got there right before opening. You must have been right behind us.

shand likes this.
  29. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,383) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Maybe it’s you...

30. Sabtos

Society Trader

I may look like a dick, but no less than the guys behind the bar.

All I do is order my beer and pay, and go sit at a table because it's literally the only brewery where I haven't enjoyed sitting at the bar.