Cycle/ccb bottle releases

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Jerseybeerlover609, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Sphilups

Sphilups Initiate (118) Dec 15, 2016 Florida

Thanks, do you know how many of the 400 approx were vip?

2. Freshly_Squeezed_Ry

Freshly_Squeezed_Ry Initiate (142) Feb 9, 2017 Florida
    Beer Trader

I know out of towners would hate that, but I agree with you.

DrinksAlone likes this.
  3. DrinksAlone

DrinksAlone Initiate (125) Jan 18, 2017 Florida
    Beer Trader

It seems like even with these changes it is going to limit the out of towners who are going to attend. Unless the out of towners are traveling alone it is going to be hard for them to get tickets from multiple people. I trade with someone who wants 2 tickets. I was going to get them 1 but how will they be able to get their second ticket? It'll be a little more difficult, that's for sure.

4. NoleBeerNoleFun

NoleBeerNoleFun Aspirant (273) Aug 17, 2015 Florida
    Supporter Beer Trader

And that's a good thing cause I know way too many Cycle Regulars who had been to every previous BA Day even back to the just show up at Peg's on Friday BA Day's who got shut out last year cause of all the Ticket Mules and Profiteers

lionssoccer13 and DrinksAlone like this.
  5. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Initiate (125) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Some dude just put 10 VIP tickets on FB for $350 each. Not sure how he is doing unless he works there are has 9 mules

6. lionelhutz23

lionelhutz23 Initiate (192) Jul 21, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Saw that. Ridiculous.

7. Sphilups

Sphilups Initiate (118) Dec 15, 2016 Florida

How the heck?

8. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Aspirant (264) Jun 30, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Send him name to Cycle so they can look out for this clown.

9. Lapalou

Lapalou Disciple (345) Dec 21, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

I’m sure people that normally go together will both(or all 5 people) will go and camp out and get both tickets and each will sell their extra. Crappy, but not sure how cycle can avoid this.

For those that don’t get tix, there is usually plenty of damn good leftover stuff on tap the night and days following. And for out of towners in for beer week, it’s an easy way to get to try cycle ba stouts.

mumbles44 and johnyb like this.
  10. jloomis

jloomis Disciple (321) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

I'm pretty sure that post isn't serious.

11. yucatown

yucatown Initiate (158) Aug 17, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Cycle can avoid this by requiring 100% in person sales only, one per person. I realize Cycle is trying to split the difference by having the requirement of one person being present for two tickets, but that’s like combining Black Friday at Walmart with Amazon cyber Monday. Won’t work. You either get your ass over there for the deals or sit comfortably at home waiting to hit the button at the right time.

LennyRubio likes this.
  12. Freshly_Squeezed_Ry

Freshly_Squeezed_Ry Initiate (142) Feb 9, 2017 Florida
    Beer Trader

Hopefully I won't get flamed for this, but how do you see the resell market being on these. I would love to go and actually already have a day off work to go, but camping there overnight for a ticket is not an option.

13. ukwildcat1995

ukwildcat1995 Initiate (197) May 24, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Do you mean how much would someone charge you to stand in line and use their second ticket for you? I've seen double the price plus thank you beers. Basically you pay for both tickets and add beers.

14. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Initiate (113) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

I think 2pp is a good number but that's my feeling.

Imagine a couple who want to go and one partner can't wait...kind of stinks.

2pp seems perfect to me.

15. arkitip

arkitip Initiate (111) Mar 10, 2016 Florida

The line has already started per their FB :laughing:

16. johnyb

johnyb Defender (694) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Contemplated heading over to St Pete, but 17 hours waiting in line in changing weather, colder with rain overnight not going to happen with this guy. I've always wanted to go to this event, but Cycle BA and Hunaphu Day back to back is a strain that is more than I can bear. Enjoy all !

macrosmatic likes this.
  17. lionelhutz23

lionelhutz23 Initiate (192) Jul 21, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

I feel the same. I went two years ago then had a beer share that night. An hour into Huna Day I wanted no more beer.

18. shand

shand Meyvn (1,419) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Yep, one big event is more than enough for my weekend.

FLBeerGuy likes this.
  19. arkitip

arkitip Initiate (111) Mar 10, 2016 Florida

I'm continually amazed by beer nerds ability to ruin things. The tone of Cycle's Facebook replies seem to indicate they're considering an end to this festival going forward.

20. macrosmatic

macrosmatic Poo-Bah (2,016) Mar 9, 2006 Florida
    Beer Trader

I have to work tomorrow morning, so no matter what the line situation was I wasn't going to get tickets. But this is nuts.

21. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Initiate (96) Nov 8, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

You guys need to watch the bourbon county thread on thanksgiving night in Chicago when it’s below freezing

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  22. Thirst_trappist

Beer Trader

Seemed more like an end to them giving away friends & family tickets....but that's how I took it

23. Mounty4Life

Mounty4Life Disciple (309) Mar 4, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

What time did tickets sell out? I would have shot down after i got off work at noon if they were more transparent

24. Thirst_trappist

Beer Trader

I believe they sold out before noon....but don't quote me on that

25. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,322) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

4ish

26. wjbent

wjbent Aspirant (277) Sep 24, 2017 Florida
    Beer Trader

Yeah, the last 25 or so tickets hung around for a few hours. My guess is having to put a name on both tickets kept people from snatching them up even when they found out they weren't sold out.

27. s4tk

s4tk Initiate (119) Jan 24, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Just a question from a Midwest guy considering Huna Day. Why are Huna tickets not sold out weeks after going on sale? I do Dark Lord Day every year and am wondering if Huna Day is still worth it, or something that's jumped the shark.

28. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (3,696) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

DL sells out because of the bottle share, and even moreso, the possibility of acquiring the extremely valuable variants. If it was just guest taps and 4 botttles of regular DL, and no shares allowed, it would be the same. Although, the beer culture is a lot more robust in the Chicago area than it is in Florida, at least from my experience.

Not to mention, there's a lot of stout burnout in Florida from what I can surmise--they're drowning in high value BA stouts all year round between Cycle's frequent releases, and then the smaller breweries nearby also creating massive hype. A non BA spiced stout isn't drawing as many of those that live closest to the festival, so it relies on those coming in from further away these days.

Huna day is a great time and there probably would be more tickets sold to locals if it wasn't at the end of an extremely rewarding and busy beer week that is rife with tons of worthwhile events.

VABA and s4tk like this.
  29. s4tk

s4tk Initiate (119) Jan 24, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Great answer, thank you! So no bottle sharing at Huna Day? What (besides BA Cycle Day the day before) are other highlights that week?

30. Sabtos

Beer Trader

You've gotta decide for yourself when all is said and done, because the list is usually pretty ridiculous. I was a little disappointed in the J Wakefield tap takeover at Hawthorne at first--lots of line cutting and everything kicked quickly, but came back later after hitting the beach and the crowd was gone and the taplist already changed to a few BA brews I hadn't had. The sour party at Green Bench seemed pretty wild, didn't get to go to that. Cycle gets crazy by Friday but seems pretty mellow throughout the rest of the week. It was a whirlwind for me last year and I didn't do any events the year before, I'm sure others will have better highlights. My personal favorite was a super mellow hangover event at Arkane, just put on all their stellar beers--total sleepers for me, they really deserve more attention. Angry Chair had a lot on too, even after their releases were all said and done.

31. SPRichard

SPRichard Disciple (363) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey

Hangover Day at 7venth Sun is always a good time. Looks like they're having it at both their locations this year

32. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,322) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

From someone who has gone for 5 years straight, it has jumped the shark.

LennyRubio likes this.
  33. Thirst_trappist

Beer Trader

yeah I'd imagine if CCB offered some Huna Variants....it would sell out more quickly

Sabtos likes this.
  34. Sabtos

Beer Trader

But really what are they doing now that is as absurd as Fonzie jumping a literal shark in a show about Middle Class life in the Midwest during the 50s-60s? :stuck_out_tongue:

VABA likes this.
  35. NDogg44

NDogg44 Initiate (112) Oct 21, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

Isn’t DLD much smaller than Huna Day?

36. Sabtos

Beer Trader

Supposedly 8-10k at DLD, 4k at Huna, although not sure how reliable the numbers are. Anyone seen official counts from CCB?

VABA likes this.
  37. SHODriver

SHODriver Poo-Bah (1,558) Aug 13, 2010 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

When they posted that people were already lining up I wanted to make a post that I would stand in line overnight for somebody if they come in at 7AM and paid me 500 in cash. Mostly as a joke but I figured people wouldn't see the humor.

38. Lapalou

Lapalou Disciple (345) Dec 21, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

I’d say that most beer fests have jumped the shark. There are just so many now, as a consumer you get to pick your flavor. People love cycle day because of the limited crowd and venue. Other locals don’t want to pay to just drink 30 variants of rare dos, when those get releases all year long anyways. I hit up wake fest last year and thought the guest breweries were awesome with minimal lines, 3 years from now it will jump shark like Huna day.

To me it seems like the best things to hit up during beer week are the newer and lesser known ones. They tend to surprise and give you something different. The events keep piling up. 3-4 years ago there were a couple big events and in between some tap take overs. Now its hard to choose which events to go to. For people visiting that week it’s an awesome experience, even if you don’t hit the ticketed events. Just good beer and good beer drinking people all over the place.

LennyRubio, jloomis and shand like this.
  39. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Initiate (125) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

the first year huna was ticketed it was supposed to be 1500-2000 peple, But we all know how that Hunapocalypse happend. The next year they said 2500. It was awesome and handled very well. Then they moved it to park and I think it went o 4-5k people (depending on you ask). This year it looks like the area is much larger, i would assume min of 5k people or maybe as many tickets as they can sell.
    Last year the stopped selling tickets in early Feb to ensure that tickets would arrive in time. This year tickets are going out as you order them so I have no idea when they will shut it down.

Sabtos likes this.
  40. wjbent

wjbent Aspirant (277) Sep 24, 2017 Florida
    Beer Trader

From a practical perspective, there's also the fact that Huna tickets are more expensive than the others, with the cheapest ticket at $200 and the smallest bottle allotment at 4. If there was a $75/one bottle option, I'd imagine it would sell out pretty quickly. Dropping at least $200 on a ticket - especially if you also want to do other events that week - and having to take home four or more bottles of a beer that's good but overshadowed by both its own variants and the BA stouts other locals are putting out is a lot to ask at this point.

• About Us

Founded in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.