D.C. Shelf beer suggestions

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by keilerdunkel, Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keilerdunkel

keilerdunkel Initiate (174) Apr 8, 2004 Illinois

My family is heading to D.C. For spring break- any suggestions for some good shelf beers that are only available locally or on the east coast? I'm open to any style, but I've been drinking a lot of German/English styles these days (and saison, Belgian pale ales, porters....). I was in Syracuse for my son's hockey tournament and finally got to enjoy some beers from Middle Ages...

We'll be in the Capitol Hill area (eastern market) if anyone has suggestions for bottle shops/restaurants,etc as it's our first trip there. Thanks!

2. b-mc-g

b-mc-g Initiate (181) Mar 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

I'd strongly suggest Craft Beer Cellar which isn't too far from the Hill. They have a really nice selection of German and English styles. They also have a ton of American craft. Schneiders of Capitol Hill is quite good as well. You could probably hit both spots in the same trip if you're so inclined.

I don't know what you get distro'd there in IL, but I'm a big fan of Ayinger as German beers go and Andechs is quite good as well.

Restaurant-wise you could hit up Blue Jacket. They're a brewery and restaurant. Also Salt Line is quite good. Although they're certainly more on the American side of the craft beer spectrum, but great outdoor area and food. Cheers

ArlVABeerGuy and keilerdunkel like this.
  3. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (3,743) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

There is a Trader's Joe (healthy type grocery store) in that area that carries some decent beer (some local as well as foreign), may want to stop by and give it a look.

keilerdunkel likes this.
  4. midegrou

midegrou Initiate (68) Dec 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

When I lived in DC a few years ago, I used to make trips out to DC Brau to load up on OTWOA. I randomly saw a sixer of these at a beer shop in Philly last weekend (canning date of October, sadly), but perhaps this is available on the shelves in DC? Really miss that beer.

keilerdunkel likes this.
  5. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (802) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

I live in Capitol Hill. Craft Beer Cellar is what you're after.

keilerdunkel and b-mc-g like this.
  6. polopaul20

polopaul20 Devotee (419) May 9, 2011 Maryland
    Trader

it is frequently available on shelves in DC, though not always

keilerdunkel likes this.
  7. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Zealot (596) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Society Industry

Another one for Craft Beer Cellars. Excellent selection and nice focus on local beer. If you see Raised By Wolves from Right Proper, that is an excellent 6 pack to take home.

ArlVABeerGuy and keilerdunkel like this.
  8. keilerdunkel

keilerdunkel Initiate (174) Apr 8, 2004 Illinois

Thanks for the suggestions!

9. Patrick_in_DC

Patrick_in_DC Initiate (0) May 8, 2015 Virginia

What I would return with...

Devils Backbone Vienna Lager (20 mi from Charlottseville)... they "sold out" to InBev but they're best option around. The Vienna Lager is their flagship and the best thing going in terms of beers approachable to all.
    DC Brau (DC)... I don't like them but a lot of other people do and so I'll just call me stupid and move on
    3 Stars (DC)... Peppercorn Saison is in cans... closest thing they've got to a year-rounder
    Port City (Alexandria)... their porter is a GABF medalist, they've got other options. Everything they make is good but that's also because they don't release any experimentals.

Otherwise, look for Union (Baltimore), Parkway (Roanoke), and Hardywood (Richmond).

keilerdunkel likes this.
  10. mugs1789

mugs1789 Initiate (170) Dec 6, 2005 Maryland

I came here to mention Raised by Wolves by Right Proper is available in cans. Also, my regional, unsung favorite is Full Nelson pale ale from Blue Mountain Brewery in central VA. Also, Citra Splendor from Manor Hill in MD. Also, Duckpin pale ale from Union in B'more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.