1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Dad's Old Pilsner Glasses

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mklmg, Apr 7, 2019.

1. mklmg

mklmg Initiate (117) Jan 2, 2004 New York

Growing up in the 50s & 60s, my parents used to keep a set of Pilsner glasses in the China Closet or China Cabinet, I forget it's been so long. Anyway, we had these really nice Pilsner glasses; I'm guessing they were etched, but the main thing that stands out about them was that the glass was so delicate, if you brought it to your mouth too quickly, the rim would chip & break, as if the glass was hollow. The Pilsner glasses I see for sale these days, you'd break off your front teeth before chipping the glass, they're so thick. I was wondering if anybody knows if there's a specific name or brand of Pilsner glass like those beauties from years ago ?

By the way, Dad would be pouring ice cold Ballantines into those beautiful Pilsner glasses.

2. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,391) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Yeah, my Dad had (maybe still has?) the same. Would be interested in this as well. I know we still have some old hour glass shaped glasses, and some of these but with vintage Fighting Illini branding (I grew up in Champaign IL, ha second time I've mentioned that today, not intentional)

nc41, puck1225, tzieser and 3 others like this.
  3. riegler

riegler Initiate (85) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

I have a couple of Spiegelau IPA glasses that are super thin walled. Maybe they make pilsner glasses as well?

Sheppard, LeRose, mklmg and 1 other person like this.
  4. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,735) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I absolutely love these old style Pils glasses, perfect for the beers. Have a few 70s glasses left from an old set that I got from my dad. Unfortunately most I managed to break thru hard use. Using one now.

Buckeye55, Tdizzle, Reef and 2 others like this.
  5. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (931) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Ha I was going to joke that maybe Spiegelau made them.

But the OP said this was years ago.

6. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Initiate (97) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

My neighbor found a couple of boxes of these when he bought a house. He gave me one of the boxes which was old and dusty and had obviously sat in a basement for years. There were 12 in the box. They are very delicate. Hand wash only.

[​IMG]

7. mklmg

Yes, they definitely are that shape; short stem with the "coaster" bottom. Now I'm thinking, we took like a million pictures of holiday dinners, with the red & green tablecloth on the dining room table & the China Closet in the background. I hope I don't convince myself to go down the basement & spend hours looking for them. I'm sure my wife will give me a reason sooner or later, though...most likely sooner:rolling_eyes:

8. riegler

riegler Initiate (85) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

According to the Spiegelau site, they've been hand crafting glass for 5 centuries:wink:

It looks as though they do make a pilsner glass now too. Might do the trick for OP

tzieser, BuffaloBill12, mklmg and 2 others like this.
  9. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,662) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Man, that glass will set you back $35-$40 on amazon now. Protect that case with your life :slight_smile:
    This seems like a nice pilsner glass and it is nucleated https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BR3M12...cement - Gift Idea for Men&sb-ci-a=B07BR3M12K
    Also for cleaning, I use a small one of these https://www.amazon.com/Decanter-Cle...1&refRID=P627143ENJ7SFN4HYVZB#customerReviews. A dirty beer glass will give itself away way faster than any other liquid and this has become my main cleaning utensil

#9 donspublic, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    mklmg, Roguer and AlcahueteJ like this.
  10. AlcahueteJ

Ha well crap. I almost wrote “although I bet Spiegelau has been around forever.”

tzieser, mklmg, riegler and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Initiate (97) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Oh wow! I never even suspected. I’ve given some away over the past few years. And now that I think about it, there may not have been 12 in the box. I still have seven.
    Here’s the box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cjgiant, jdell15, AirBob and 6 others like this.
  12. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (876) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Years ago I though Pilsner was a type of glass not a style of beer!

13. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,025) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

The OP mentions that today;'s Pilsener glasses are too thick. Well 16 months ago I bought my wife Sixpoint Pilsener glasses for Christmas. She lovesThe Crisp and Aplen Flo so I thought it was a slam dunk.
    She opened the present and they are super thin, delicate and beautiful. Fast forward to the present and..........we never use them. My wife and I are clumsy and we're always worried about these glasses breaking if we look at them wrong.

14. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (691) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I need that type of brush. Thanks

Enjoy

jdell15, donspublic and mklmg like this.
  15. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,440) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

I'd hit up local flea markets, yard sales, junk stores, thrift shops, Salvation Army/Good Will, etc. You can probably pick some up for 25¢ - $1 each.

16. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (141) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

Rastal ain’t cheap!! Especially if it’s vintage like yours. What a great find! Definitely a gorgeous glass worth holding onto for good. Thanks for sharing!

BuffaloBill12 and Ronmarley1 like this.
  17. AlcahueteJ

Why can't it be both?

Not that Wikipedia is always accurate, I'm fairly certain many places call types of glasses "Pilsner" glasses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_glassware#Pilsner_glass

I always thought that about my Spiegelau glasses...but knock on wood I've only broken one and I use them just about every single week.

woodchipper likes this.
  18. jesskidden

Society

I guess the local corner liquor store in your neighborhood didn't have this former-NJ brewery's neon in their window then, huh?
    [​IMG]
    It was there in "Pete's Liquors" where I grew up as long as can remember (next to this Ballantine Ale neon), and it stayed up long after Krueger brand was bought by Narrangansett and slowly disappeared from the NJ market.

(I still get annoyed when I pass that store and it's filled with Bud and Coors neons now - under new ownership. Pete's long dead and his brother Max retired - who I used to "talk about beer" with and who special ordered many a beer for me, heck, he even used to let me poke around the "employees only" beer cooler.)

steveh likes this.
  19. mklmg

Yeah, I tried that Spiegelau Glass website, no luck there, but I did learn that they call it "thin blown glass"

I checked Ebay, & the nice etched thin blown glasses are quite costly, but I didn't see anything close to what I'm looking for.

Onward, through the fog !

20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,901) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

The concern here is that the Spiegelau Pilsner Glasses did not 'replicate' the glass shape that you would prefer? Maybe you could make a concession to expediency here and purchase them anyway to achieve the aspect of a thin glass Pilsner Glass?

Cheers!

[​IMG]

mklmg and donspublic like this.
  21. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,662) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

My dau
    My daughter has a set of these and they are indeed thin, to the point I won't use them for fear of breaking it. So if you goal is to have a thin pilsner glass, these would fit the bill

JackHorzempa likes this.
  22. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,735) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

On the subject of glass I’m always on the lookout, I found some Waterford Cognac glasses mint on Saturday for $20 a piece at a consignment shop in Mt Airey. They’re easily worth twice that.

beertunes likes this.
  23. jesskidden

Society

Well, as noted often, US beer glass names vary from brewery to brewery, region to region, glass mfg. to glass mfg., etc., and, as noted in the below illustration from AB, they listed 3 different pilsner styles - sham, footed (what the OP is looking for) and I'll call the above closest to the flair pilsner (I'd also call it the "too-easy-to-knock-over pilsner".
    [​IMG]

FBarber likes this.
  24. AlcahueteJ

Kind of looks more like the "hour glass"

The "flair pilsner" reminds me of this glass.

[​IMG]

Victory_Sabre1973 and FBarber like this.
  25. jesskidden

Society

Not to me - the classic US "hour glass glass" looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    Pretty common branded glass at one time - most major brewers used them and if you asked for a "glass" of beer, that or a sham pilsner was usually what you were served.

I'd call that Samuel Adams glass a cross between the Flair and the Sham pilsner styles. "Sham" refers to the thick "bulb" of solid glass at the base - so a "Sham Flair Pilsner"?

But, yeah, as I said - lots of names, lots of variations of glass designs...

nc41, FBarber, Troutbeerbum and 2 others like this.
  26. AlcahueteJ

The Spiegelau is the same shape as the hour glass glass to me, just thinner. But yes, all different variations all over the place. I wouldn't call it a flair though, since there's no flair at the top.

Sham Flair Pilsner works for the Noble Pils glass...or just "Pilsner". :wink:

27. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,026) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I need pics of this circa 1985 55oz beer bucket in action.

Kidding aside, that Heidelberg Goblet looks fascinating but couldn't find any pics...

28. AlcahueteJ

Kind of?

[​IMG]

I also have this one at home...still not quite it though.

[​IMG]

29. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,398) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

The 40oz wax carton caught my eye! :sunglasses:

FBarber, tzieser, AlcahueteJ and 2 others like this.
  30. jesskidden

Society

Oh, those were around into the 80-90s as growlers (except most were quart sized?) When some states started enacting mandatory bottle deposits, brewers encouraged their use again for bars that wanted to sell "beer to go" but didn't want to handles bottle returns.

The round ones with slip on lids like the U.C. below were real common in NJ into the early '70s. Called simply "containers", only thing you could buy when liquor stores were closed on Sunday or after 10 pm, and taverns couldn't sell bottles or cans to-go when liquors store were not open.
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, I never heard of true metal "growlers" being around that late...but, who knows? It's how my grandfather paid for his Harvard education. :grin:
    [​IMG]

Also, I think some of you guys are taking those simple drawings of the beer glasses too seriously. That sham pilsner isn't right (the yellow "beer" shouldn't be in the solid glass "sham"), the shell has too much taper to it, most mugs had false-bottoms, many schooners weren't tapered, etc.

31. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,174) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Bucket! Bucket? Everyone in Chicago knows that's a growler. Just watch that first scene of The Untouchables. :wink:

#31 steveh, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    beertunes and tzieser like this.
  32. steveh

Sorry, I never really took any pictures at McCabe's on Growler Night in Dekalb, IL circa 1980. :wink:

I do remember one of those buckets being used for something other than beer by an over-served patron...:astonished:

FBarber, AlcahueteJ and tzieser like this.
  33. jesskidden

Society

Or check out my GROWLER page.

But, yeah, it is curious that AB choose "bucket". Regionalism? "Growler" came to have a bad reputation by the early 1900s pre-Pro, but that illustration's from the 1980s.

OTOH, Ol' Hank called it a bucket, too.

34. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (264) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

Beer mugs are my favorite kind of beer glass but the model below is my absolute favorite. Just has a perfect balance between the heavy base, the chiseled bottom pattern, and the proportions are just right. Haven't come across one over here sadly, seems like it's solely an American design.
    [​IMG]

FBarber, AlcahueteJ and jesskidden like this.
  35. beer_beer

beer_beer Aspirant (217) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Must use this!

[​IMG]

nc41 likes this.
  36. steveh

Indeed.
    Maybe a bad rep by the 1900s, but it was back in fashion 80 years later! I'd honestly never heard the term until I went to college, but a couple years later I visited the Chicago Historical Society (now called the Chicago History Museum, I believe) and they had a couple of those early 20th century examples on display -- Hey -- growlers!
    Hmm, yeah -- Hank. :wink:

FBarber and beertunes like this.
  37. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (691) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I hate those schooner glasses. A few places use them for Belgian beers. They are heavy and look to be a lot of beer but they don’t hold too much at all.

Enjoy

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  38. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Disciple (384) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I-L-L! Now only if I could find one with a “Kam’s” logo :stuck_out_tongue:

FBarber and champ103 like this.
  39. jesskidden

Society

Only a couple? :wink:
    [​IMG]