Dallas Craft beer - Downtown

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by DevinK, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DevinK

DevinK Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2013 Connecticut

Hello to my craft beer Texans,

I'm going to be in Dallas this weekend for a conference and am going to be having dinner with one of my counterparts that is big into craft beer as well.

We are having dinner at Sambuca downtown and wanted to know if there were any cool craft beer bars we could go to beforehand for a drink. I saw there is a Gingerman not too far away, but wondering if there's anything else that might be worth checking out that's close by and not a Gingerman chain (nothing wrong with Gingerman but they have them both where I'm from and where my counterpart is from).

Thanks for the advice!
    Cheers
    Devin

2. fl_beer_fan

fl_beer_fan Initiate (85) Jun 9, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Braindead brewing isn't far, I'd check that out. Also, Deep Ellum Brewery is nearby, they've got a pretty decent selection

3. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Defender (632) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

meddlesome moth is worth checking out, braindead is a good one as well

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas likes this.
  4. zizouandyuki

zizouandyuki Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2015 Texas

The Common Table is your best bet in that vicinity. They've had some great tappings over the past month, too -- Vanilla Rye, Firestone Walker XIX, and a number of Saint Arnold's Bishop's Barrels.

Give this link a look-see when you're in town: http://thecommontable.com/ontap.html

BullDoza likes this.
  5. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2009 Texas

If you're directly downtown and don't have a car, you can ride the rail for $5/day. BrainDead Brewing is on the rail (Deep Ellum stop, then a .5 mile walk) has about 30 taps and a lot of great house made beer. The food is amazing too. You can also take the rail to Craft and Growler, which is a little further down but at the Fair Park stop. More like a 100 foot walk from this stop. They have 40+ taps and focus on a lot of local stuff. No food though, so eat beforehand, or plan to order from the pizza lounge a few doors down.

As others have said, if you do have a car or Uber, The Common Table is one of my favorite spots anywhere in DFW. Great food and 28 awesome taps that constantly rotate. Not necessarily focused on local, but generally the best beer available.

Enjoy your visit!

Cheers,
    Chad

kcortez likes this.
  6. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Texas

I'd Uber/Lyft to Meddlesome Moth from there.

7. BullDoza

BullDoza Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2014 Texas

Sambuca is on McKinney, more uptown than downtown (splitting hairs, I guess). That being the case your best bets are going to be:
    1. Common Table (as mentioned above)
    2. Nickel & Rye has a few good/limited beers on tap from time to time. Also some limited bottles on occasion.
    3. Whole Foods Uptown. If you're not liking what's on tap, go buy a bottle to open at the bar. Could get some good local bottles that way.

You can walk to all three of these places from Sambuca, as they're all within a few city blocks/0.5 miles away.

8. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Devotee (438) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Just want to echo the sentiment....Meddlesome Moth is great, especially for a work related thing (good atmosphere, etc.) I haven't been in a long while but if I found myself back in Dallas, MM would definitely be on my to-do list.

9. asong_net

asong_net Initiate (88) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

Any good bottle shops to check out? My friend is in the area and wants to bring back some bottles

10. turfy

turfy Aspirant (240) Mar 17, 2010 Texas
    Trader

Specs on 75 would probably be the closest. 15 or so miles north in Carrolton would be the best place...Lonestar Beverages

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.