1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Damaged box

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Smithrob9999, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2011 Texas

I looked at an inbound trade and saw this, what will likely happen next ? It's soooo close too :-(

Damaged - handling per shipper instructions
    Recommended action:
    No action required. Contact us at https://www.fedex.com/insight/info/contactus.jspfor more information.

2. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,806) Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Get hold of the local hub.... You might be able to go there to pick up what ever is left and not thrown away. I have had to do this a couple of times.... Once after an entire growler of Short's Key Lime Pie leaked and was throw way, but I still got every bottle that was in the box.

If I remember right, I called the 1-800 number and had them transfer me directly to the local hub.

Once you get connected with the local hub, make sure to write down the name of whoever you speak with and get a direct contact phone number.

If they bitch at you about the beer, play dumb and say something like an old college roommate said he was shipping you something to remind you of the good ole days.... Just play dumb and you should be okay.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  3. thaghost

thaghost Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Illinois

Did the sender reach out to you yet, or vice versa?

4. Smithrob9999

Well, I looked up the tracking number

5. JMagee

JMagee Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 New York

Well it will come down to the shipper's instructions it would seem. This damaged box results are quite nebulous, mostly because they don't give you any description of how damaged is damaged.

I recently had an incoming box damaged in transit (this was UPS) and it was determined to be damaged right before it was put on the local truck. UPS packed up the rest of bottles, sent it back to the original shipper, who simply re-boxed and re-sent no questions asked.

There are other instances where the box opened and contents disposed. So there's not really a "go to move" at this point for the shipping company. I'd say just touch base with the guy who shipped the box to you, see if he is aware or has been contacted by FedEx and go from there.

6. Smithrob9999

Okay, I just went to the shipping hub and played dumb, the guy was pretty cool and offered to open in there and file a claim, I said no worries and signed for it. The bottom of the cardboard was soaked and really boozy (BCBBW) I feared the worst, however, when I opened it was only 1 bottle broken (out of 13)

The packing could have been a little better but I'm okay with it, I left good feedback.

7. Smithrob9999

With that said I've had people told me I go overboard on packing. I've never had a broken bottle though.

sportstsar and creepinjeeper like this.
  8. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,806) Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

9. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

I hear ya. Don't listen, and keep on going overboard with the packing. I would rather over wrap and have my trade partner get everything undiscovered and intact, instead of the mess you've just gone through. Did they line the box with a contractors grade garbage bag? So many BA's have said that is a must. So far, I have been fortunate enough to have my boxes survive. It's not that I'm saying I'm perfect and will never have a damaged box. With the number of new BA's, and therefore, new traders increasing daily, I feel like the odds of getting discovered increase daily. I'm willing to take a few extra steps to help sway the odds in favor of my box.

10. Stevedore

Stevedore Grand Pooh-Bah (5,072) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Never, ever, never, ever go underboard or evenboard with packing. Pack the shit out of everything. Better safe than sorry.

11. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It is not possible to go overboard with packing.

Sounds like your trade partner went more than a little "underboard" with packing. Hopefully he/she will learn to do it right, and this one soon to be expensive error will be the motivation for it.

jshusc and creepinjeeper like this.
  12. Smithrob9999

Thanks all, I'm just glad they didn't send it all the way back.

One couldn't get in legal trouble for shipping beer, could they ?

13. beerindex

beerindex Zealot (617) Jun 18, 2007 Michigan

You very much can...but you won't. Shipping alcohol without a license is categorically illegal. But UPS and Fedex don't tend to do anything beyond send the occasional letter telling you that you're not allowed to ship alcohol.

14. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey

I have not 1, but TWO damaged packages inbound to me. Both have been either disposed of already, or sent back to the shipper. So frustrating, especially because 1 of them was in a styro shipper! The other? Who knows. I pack the shit out my boxes, have never lost a single bottle in any trade, ever - and that's going way back to 2006. We're talking 100+ trades - people, pack your boxes well! :-)

creepinjeeper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.