Damaged can good to drink?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Snowcrash000, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Zealot (558) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Beer Trader

I just received a beer box from the US and one of the cans is slightly damaged. The paper surrounding it was soaked, but I reckon the can is still 2/3 full. It's basically a tiny, tiny hole in the side of the can. Do you reckon the beer is still drinkable or would you rather refrain from that? That box was on the road for two weeks, but the can was wrapped in bubble wrap after all. Any good ideas on how to fix that hole if you reckon the can is still good to drink? I'm currently simply storing it on its side, with the hole pointing up.

2. Shanex

Shanex Crusader (760) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Beer Trader

I wouldn't know about the technical details, infection or anything but a can that has been traveling with a tiny hole from the US to Germany would go to the trash.

Its bad luck, especially if you only had one of these brand.

3. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (420) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

Oxygen and light are the enemy of beer.

Hole in can, 2/3 full, soaked package = oxygen got in

Shanex likes this.
  4. zid

zid Savant (924) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I'd stop storing it and abandon any ideas about fixing it. Open it. If it tastes (and looks) good - drink it, if it doesn't - dump it. Maybe it'll be completely flat. The catch is that if you're worried enough to post about it, then chances are your mind is already set to go into it with the worst expectations.

5. Snowcrash000

Beer Trader

I'm willing to take the risk that the beer will taste off, after all I can still drain-pour it if it does. I certainly won't rate it based on that can. What I was more worried about is any potential health hazard, which is probably silly, but I guess that more than just oxygen could have gotten in there...

6. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Aspirant (220) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

It's not impossible it got something bad in it, but not likely either. Try it. Report back.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  7. zid

zid Savant (924) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Nobody can promise that nothing bad got in the can. Perhaps a tiny fragment of aluminum? Only you can determine how much you want to drink the beer as you weigh the risk vs reward.

Bitterbill likes this.
  8. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,149) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium Member

Oxidation won't occur very quickly, assuming the package was in the mail only a week or so, but I think the beer will be flat. The can has been sitting in the liquid inside the package, so I'd wipe the top clean before opening and pouring. You don't want to pick up any bacteria from the packaging into your glass from the outside of the can.

woodychandler and Bitterbill like this.
  9. Snowcrash000

Beer Trader

Although the can has quite a dent, the hole itself actually is tiny. It is quite flat, but as you swirl it, tiny bubbles are still forming. Still smells and tastes pretty good otherwise. Big on malt and pine, with a rich tropical fruit flavor and without the bubble gum note I often pick up from other DIPAs. A little boozy, but not too bad.

10. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,837) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Glad it worked out for you.

VABA, bbtkd, Bitterbill and 1 other person like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,448) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Drinking a dented can.

You da man!!

Cheers to you!!!!

12. Snowcrash000

Beer Trader

I'm not sure if you guys are being sarcastic, but I just think it's a shame to waste good beer and this is actually a damn good beer, dented can or not. Would have been a real shame to throw it out. A little dent is probably not going to kill me... at least I hope so :stuck_out_tongue:.

I will report back tomorrow, if I don't, let it be known that it was my love of beer that finally did me in. I can think of worse ways to go :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

VABA, woodychandler, Hayden34 and 6 others like this.
  13. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

I agree with you here and that is why I applauded you ("You da man!!").
    One of the things we homebrewers discuss is that while our homebrewed beers can suffer from infections (e.g., unwanted microorganisms like bacteria, wild yeast,...) that nothing can grow in beer that can harm you. In other words a homebrewed beer that suffered from an infection (some prefer the terminology of contamination) may suffer from off-flavors but it will not be harmful in terms of making you sick. Now, if a beer after the fact obtains an infection/contamination (e.g., a small hole in a can) I would think that the same situation applies but I am not a medical doctor so...

Cheers!

P.S. I hope to read your post tomorrow!!

14. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,837) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

Oh no, of course not. I was saying I regret you got a damaged can and am glad you were able to salvage what beer remained.

woodychandler and Snowcrash000 like this.
  15. Snowcrash000

Beer Trader

Whoops, almost forgot: Still alive and kicking :sunglasses:.

VABA, bret717, Mothergoose03 and 3 others like this.
  16. ThinBlueLine

ThinBlueLine Initiate (90) Aug 23, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Of all the comments here and keeping tabs on your demise (or lack there of)....no one asked the question "What kind of beer was it?"

woodychandler likes this.
  17. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

He posted about it above (with a photo): it was a DIPA.

Cheers!

18. ThinBlueLine

Beer Trader

Ok let me rephrase..... What Brand / "Name on Can" Brew was it? DIPA is a bit broad. Wrong wording I guess on my part.

19. ThinBlueLine

Beer Trader

Oh, and I can't see photos..... I can't even see there was a photo on the thread. Or else I would not have posed the question.

Hayden34 likes this.
  20. MikeP64

MikeP64 Aspirant (220) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

I was gonna say just pour it out....then I saw it was a Boy King from Coast Brewery in my hometown!!! Def worth saving!!! Try their Hopart if you can!! Delish!

21. rronin

rronin Initiate (193) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

This is one of the funniest series of posts I've ever read. Thanks to all for giving me a laugh.

JoeBloe and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  22. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,436) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I agree to throw it out. If the can is slightly bulging then I would give it a try but open one of those right away or risk it "exploding."

VABA likes this.
  23. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

It is Coast The Boy King Double IPA.

You can’t see this photo?

[​IMG]

woodychandler and drtth like this.
  24. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,252) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I would toss it but looks like you salvaged it and all good.
    Cheers

25. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,699) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming

I smell zero sarcasm.

woodychandler and JackHorzempa like this.
  26. marquis

marquis Crusader (758) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

This needs to qualified. Oxygen in small amounts can transform a beer. That is why cask ale is so much better than the same one from a bottle or can.If you enjoy a freshly tapped pint go back the next day and enjoy a better one.And if there is any left,better still on the day after.
    Wine lovers have known for years to open the bottle a short time before it is to be drunk. Sometimes the improvement over an hour or so is amazing.
    Oxygen spoils beer over time such as when stored and clearly needs to be kept away.But in this case very little could have entered the can and might actually have benefitted the taste.Oxidation is like water,a small amount keeps you hydrated,a lot drowns you.

27. Hayden34

Hayden34 Defender (650) Aug 10, 2014 Georgia

This happened to me several years ago in a trade where I received the first couple cans of Heady Topper I ever drank. A bottle in the box smashed into the can during transit and poked a tiny hole in the can. Luckily one can was completely intact but I did the exact same thing as you. I took my chances and it was actually quite good.

woodychandler likes this.
  28. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

29. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,478) May 28, 2015 Arkansas

JackHorzempa likes this.
  30. Snowcrash000

Beer Trader

It's funny you guys should mention that, because I actually have been developing a nasty rash over the last couple of days :astonished:. No need to panic though, I do get dry skin when it gets cold in the wintertime, which can cause mild dermatitis. I have a cream for that, usually goes away within a couple of days.

Still a pretty odd coincidence that I should have to deal with this crap just now, thanks for creeping me out with that story @JoeBloe :stuck_out_tongue:.

Bitterbill, woodychandler and VABA like this.
  31. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

Have you recently developed a craving for eating cat!?!:rolling_eyes:

Cheers!

32. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (7,830) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I assume that you drank it. Yes? I CAN tell you that whatever mutations that you might have ingested & experienced are NOTHING CANpared to what happens after drinking a CAN of anything produced by Minhas B.C. Forget Cybermen, try being a CANberman! Ugh. Torchwood is still trying to track me down.

33. Snowcrash000

Beer Trader

Well, I certainly hope it won't come to that!

VABA and JackHorzempa like this.
  34. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

So do the nearby cats!:wink:

Cheers!