Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Dark Horse 4 Elf Party

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by ROBSTARR, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Apr 2, 2011 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

I'll bring the funnel and garden hose so we can blast through some BA Monster 29.

raymo55 likes this.
  2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Any of you SE MI locals know of any good breakfast spots (or any breakfast spots) close to Marshall? I'm not coming up with much on Urbanspoon, TripAdvisor, etc...I'd like to get a lil bit of grub in my belly before waiting in line for a while.

3. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Apr 2, 2011 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

I appreciate the offer. See you all around 2:00 or so.

4. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Sep 8, 2007 New York

Warriors come out & play ...
    Cue the sound of clinking beer bottles

burica2020 and founder26 like this.
  5. JakeT469

JakeT469 Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

I actually thought of you right after I posted that and was thinking to myself,"I hope this wont affect our trade." Hahaha! All in good fun my friend. I'm really disappointed I'm missing this event but there's always next year... If I make it to next year that is.

6. founder26

founder26 Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

lol its ok they do suck but hey they are my teams and I still love them! GO LIONS!

7. rjm217

rjm217 Mar 18, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

There is a Denny's right off the exit. Nothing fancy but it's food.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  8. jbck109

jbck109 May 30, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Sofias house of pancakes... awesome! Some of the best pancakes, and very good portions and reasonable prices.

9. raymo55

raymo55 Oct 3, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

How bout dem Colts!! #chuckstrong

denimdemon likes this.
  10. MarcatGSB

The one in Grand Ledge or Kalamazoo? I don't see one in Marshall.

11. jbck109

Beer Trader

Should let you know, this is only on the way if you are coming from the north or west, it is in Kalamazoo. From dark horse it is about 40 min. If you want to leave to waste some time between 11 and 3, it is still worth it, this place rocks!

12. jbck109

Beer Trader

Kalamazoo, would be on your way down, they open at 7, should be early enough

13. MarcatGSB

I'm actually going to be staying in Marshall on Friday, but thanks for the consideration! Probably just eat some milk and cereal with a bagel, cream cheese, and avocado. Nice breakfast until I get some of that Dark Horse za!

14. jbck109

Beer Trader

Good deal, I wondered how you were gonna make it from keewenaw driving in the morning.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  15. MarcatGSB

We are all doomed.

16. danp14

danp14 Dec 12, 2011 Michigan

Hardees!

sarcastro likes this.
  17. sarcastro

sarcastro Sep 20, 2006 Michigan
    Beer Trader

The Frisco burger is to die for.

18. danp14

I love me a big greezy burger. They're breakfast is pretty solid also. Plus, it's right off exit 112 (same number both ways actually) on your way to the brewery.

19. Steimie

Steimie Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

Love me some Hardee's fast food breakfast. Or a 'shroom and swiss.

20. MarcatGSB

Going to start with Monster 29, then hit MMMM, then hit the Oat Wine, hopefully all before being able to purchase bottles. Although this system is flawed, because BBN Perk last year was amazing on tap last year (Top 3 for me), but the bottles never carb'd up so it's an interesting game...

21. danp14

I couldn't agree more about the BB Perk. I thought that stuff was incredible on tap. I was close to tears when i opened my bottle.
    Bourbon Monster will be #1 for me. Had regular at Summer Beer fest, and it was quite good. I will say, one thing that really piqued my interestes they have on is the sour 3 guy. I'm just really not sure what to expect from it.

22. MarcatGSB

Ohhh, I'll be trying that for sure...unintentional or not, I will have some in my belly. These events are a tickers dream! I wont be ticking, but I will be keeping a photo journal with some notes IE Untappd, duh!

23. danp14

I agree! I won't/don't tick. Just after a few choice nugz i've been craving to be inside me (666, citra crooked tree, homobourbonsapien) and some of the standouts to me like the monsters and a few others. I'm too cool for a smartphone, so the untapped photo journal is unfortunately out of the question for me. Oh. and by too cool, i mean, i'm to cheep to spend $200 on a new phone. But awesome enough to spend $200 on some beers.

founder26 and Marti403 like this.
  24. dblab33

dblab33 Dec 9, 2011 Michigan

Falconers Flight Crooked Tree is the best one of the variants in my opinion. I enjoyed it so much that I am going to be brewing an all FF IPA in the very near future.

25. founder26

founder26 Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

I am really looking foward to this one, haven't had an ipa yet that uses falconers flight hops, at least not that I know of?

26. MarcatGSB

I had one from the Keweenaw Brewing Company in Houghton MI and it was equally as good as the rest of their beers...

27. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Apr 6, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

As this is my first year attending 4Elf. Can any veterans of this party reccomend a good time for getting in line for the tokens?

28. JohnB87

JohnB87 Mar 14, 2011 Michigan

Yesterday. No seriously, it's frigging cold out here.

29. dbc5

dbc5 Jun 18, 2009 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I see some people mentioning the issue of line cutting leading to excessively long waits in the beer purchasing line. Shouldn't this be a nonissue given that tokens are being passed out earlier in the day? If I am reading their website correctly, it sounds as if everyone will have numbered tokens and we will simply be finding out spot in line, based on those number, right around 3 when the doors for the party open.

30. steebo777

steebo777 Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

They start handing them out at 11am, and pretty much will be able to buy bottles all day, so need to get there too early.

The line cutting added to the wait last year. This year they are checking numbers once you lineup inside the brewery, so it shouldn't be too long of a wait. It was inside that people were cutting and thus making the wait longer.

31. dblab33

If everyone behaves and realizes that all night camp outs are NOT necessary for this and other releases, you should be able to get there right at 11 and still be good for BA Plead the 5th.

danp14 likes this.
  32. dblab33

Last year no one from DH was checking token numbers, so a shitload of people cut after 3 once we got inside.

Marti403 and raymo55 like this.
  33. JohnB87

Just to let people know (because I know a lot of people coming are new this year): Dark Horse did have a bunch of carbonation issues last year with their 750ml bottles. It's been kind of a crap shoot when it comes to whether you'll get a good one or not.

Who knows what this year will bring, but I just wanted to throw out the word of warning.

That being said, I am getting more excited by the day for this party.

steebo777 likes this.
  34. dbc5

Beer Trader

Good to hear that some steps are being taken to improve things this year. Just so I am clear and don't ruffle any feathers come the day of the party, would it be problematic (i.e., seen as line cutting) if I go my token at 11 am, then returned to the premises sometime around 2:45 to find my spot in line based on my token number? I was planning to make some other beer related stops after picking up my token (checking out Bell's, perhaps the Livery), but will change plans if it is not acceptable to come back just before doors open and jump into my token slotted place in line.

35. JohnB87

Absolutely not. Last year, I went with a friend and stopped by at 12:15 to get our tokens, laughed at all the passed out drunks in their cars, then went to Kalamazoo to get lunch and drink Eccentric Ale while we waited for 4elf to start.

steebo777 likes this.
  36. steebo777

That's what most people are doing I would assume.

37. danp14

In theory that's how it should've worked. But there's always someone who is more important than everyone else so they should automatically get to the front regardless of numbers.

38. dbc5

Beer Trader

Thanks for all the quick and helpful responses. I'm looking forward to what promises to be an excellent party.

steebo777 likes this.
  39. steebo777

Which won't happen because they're checking token numbers at the front, so we won't have to deal with that BS this year!

40. danp14

It's good to hear there are not going to be any diplomats attending the party who need special treatment. :D
    It should make for a way better party. No one should have any reason to be angry at this party. Even if the bottle buying line is long. The party itself is awesome, personally, i'm looking more toward the chance to try some of these beers on tap than the bottle list at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe