Dark Lord (2018)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Askchucky, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Aspirant (299) May 13, 2014 California
    Trader

And I was 3 people ahead of you in line because I got the next to last glass...

FWIW it was F'ING delicious!!!!

Chackman151 and eppie82 like this.
  2. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,262) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I think you just started the 'what will you be wearing topic'!!

ChiCubs78 and TheKlevin like this.
  3. midmichmatt

midmichmatt Initiate (161) Mar 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

well! I wore my wu-tang shirt last year, because hip hop shirt at DLD.. ironic, right?
    nope. people would walk by and give me pours because 'wutang is for the children'
    so, lets keep that love going.

4. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Savant (952) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

They’re gonna be a handcuff shackle with a mini Teku on the end of the chain. A dude I know on the inside told me.

Boldbrew likes this.
  5. Vitamin_Hop

Vitamin_Hop Initiate (139) Mar 26, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Let’s keep a running list of shirts that may get you an additional pour:

-hip hop artists
    -ironic tees
    -anything metal
    -dragon abortion
    -pro craft beer
    -anti big beer

6. croush

croush Crusader (770) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Thanks for talking about t-shirts guys...we can now guarantee the acid rain will fall and it'll be below 40 degrees. Way to ruin it.

7. drac86

drac86 Disciple (375) Jan 28, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Done. We'll see what they say.

chrismattlin, OccamsPhaser and croush like this.
  8. PBRmeasap1980

PBRmeasap1980 Defender (679) May 19, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

I'm guessing they either buy or swap kegs with other breweries. With all the breweries they have listed, I'm guessing 1-3 kegs per brewery and of course 3 Floyds will pour a metric shit ton of their own. I believe all the beers are poured by volunteers from the community and not by any of the breweries.

9. kodt

kodt Defender (605) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

Don't think it is legal to just swap kegs or buy direct. All the beer probably has to go through a distributor as a legal formality.

10. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (749) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

So if I wear my Bud Light hat y'all are going to kill me?

11. jed_productions

jed_productions Devotee (451) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Society Trader

I was one of the lucky ones to get a pour of Derivation last year. I walked up to get a draft pour of a Jackie O's stout right as they tapped Derivation. Needless to say I changed my order and got a couple of pours of Derivation instead. No offense to Jackie O's, I love their beer, but I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to try Derivation for the first time. It lived up to all of my expectations.

12. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (772) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

How many drunk Dilly Dilly's can you endure in one evening?

13. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (749) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

I shall find out...

14. BrandonK

BrandonK Initiate (53) Jul 15, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

That’s if they haven’t changed the format to be closer to what Hunahpu Day is. Doesn’t each brewery have their own tent there? And didn’t 3F just acquire a metric shit ton of land in that plaza?

15. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (393) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Same. I was about 4 people back getting ready order the Jackie O’s as well, but then just got 3 derivation.

16. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (2,416) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Derivation 3 or 3 pours of Derivation?? was hearing it was D7 they had flowing last year, which is crazy because when I was at SP late May (after DLD) SP had just released D7 bottles for on-site consumption.

17. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (473) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

3 pours of derivation damn...I seem to recall the dl variants being one pour per person last year.

18. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,230) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I just hope Yum yum lasts all day on tap again. When I think DLD, I think session beer. /

19. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (314) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Definitely not, at least for me. I got several pours of Ronaldo.

JJ_17 likes this.
  20. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (473) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

If your not drinking Bruery stouts all day and passed out in the grass by noon, your not doing DLD properly :wink:

drac86, JRGVII, ChiCubs78 and 8 others like this.
  21. OccamsPhaser

OccamsPhaser Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2018 Indiana

Windmill helps balance out things in NWI. I think they have done well brewing what people want - NEIPAs and fruited IPAs and sours. I don't think it is always successful, but they seem to have embraced the niche that is popular right now, whereas FFF has only dipped their toe in, and 18th Street took a while.

I recommend New Oberpfalz in Griffith. They do lots of German styles you don't see many other places brew while still having great IPAs. Taproom is super relaxed, food is great, and the people are awesome. I live equal distance to New O and Floyds and, even if I like FFF beer more, I go to New O far more.

22. OccamsPhaser

I couldn't help but laugh pretty hard when I saw a guy in a Kikkoman shirt last year. Per list, I definitely fall in the "anything metal" group. Nothing like the look on drunk peoples' faces as they try to read the indecipherable logo on my shirt.

Vitamin_Hop likes this.
  23. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (393) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

3 pours

24. doublevision

doublevision Initiate (104) Sep 8, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I had just grabbed my Jackie O's when Derivation was tapped so back in line i went

25. doublevision

doublevision Initiate (104) Sep 8, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

That semi trailer by the band area had a really good run of Beers in the early afternoon

Luscious_Malfoy and OccamsPhaser like this.
  26. s4tk

s4tk Initiate (68) Jan 24, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

A few thoughts:

1) If you’re looking for NE IPA’s near 3Floyds, 18th Street’s game is legit whereas Windmill is gimmicky. Just IMHO as a NWI local.

2) Was chatting with a kiosk guy at the brewery and he claimed “between him, me and the wall” that a rye whiskey barrel variant would be a big one this year. For what it’s worth...could be false but it was a brewery employee.

JRGVII, lotgod, ChiCubs78 and 10 others like this.
  27. OccamsPhaser

I agree with you. Some of Windmill's IPAs have been superb- last fall's batch of Pale Dutch Boy and Two if by Citra blew me away. Their milkshake IPAs and beers brewed with gummy bears are brewed knowing that is a popular shtick right now, and not my thing so much (though that double mango was bonkers after a few weeks).

If you're not from the midwest and don't trade, I'd say Noon Whistle (currently drinking a Gummy Vortex), Transient, Hailstorm, and Hop Butcher are worth tracking down in terms of NEIPAs and DDH IPAs. Transient can be a bit irregular between batches, but overall great. Their recent collab with Hailstorm Boat Socks is another home-run.

The Open Bottle in Tinley is a rad place. I also think Torrence Liquors in Calumet City just over the IL/IN border is great. In NW Indiana, Liquor Stop in Highland (where I live) has a great selection, just check the bottle dates. And of course if you're spending time in Chicago, go to Binny's.

oN3xM, KBlodorn and s4tk like this.
  28. s4tk

s4tk Initiate (68) Jan 24, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

You named some of my favorite places lol.

29. BrewskiBear

BrewskiBear Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2015

I didn't go through all 59 pages of this thread, but does anyone know if there will be a shuttle from Midway Airport to Dark Lord Day? I'm trying to avoid renting a car this year and might plan to just stay near Midway if possible. Any help would be appreciated!

30. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (155) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Heard rumors of a rye whiskey one as well after they let employees taste test the variants.

Same person also mentioned port, sherry and Portuguese apple brandy. Take it for what it's worth.

beerhan, TheKlevin, YoDudeguy and 6 others like this.
  31. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (772) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

ISO Apple Brandy DL....Port and sherry are meh...overdone dessert wine fff styles. The Rye Whiskey might be abrasive enough to offset the DL sweetness, but it also might be a mess like people claim the Scotch was.

YoDudeguy likes this.
  32. RUinOhio

RUinOhio Initiate (113) Nov 12, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I wasn't overly impressed with 18th last year on Friday.

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  33. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,755) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

No way...never had a Rye BA Stout I didn't like more than a regular Bourbon, for some odd reason.

PhilBallins and kreg02 like this.
  34. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (296) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Must be complimentary to your wry sense of humor.

beerhan, Ohiou84, PhilBallins and 3 others like this.
  35. RUinOhio

RUinOhio Initiate (113) Nov 12, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

and Hailstorm should be on the agenda if you want some great beer.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  36. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (629) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

dusting off my spuds mackenzie tank top...sun's out, guns out.

ADTaber, ChiCubs78, HotSelma and 2 others like this.
  37. KBlodorn

KBlodorn Aspirant (292) Oct 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Enough of the f'ing sherry and port, good god

38. kreg02

kreg02 Disciple (363) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

This was almost me last year...

ChiCubs78 and JakeT469 like this.
  39. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (296) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Port barreling is amazing! You heard about the wine pirates, right? Sailing west along the northern Spanish coast, they ran out of good wine, so they turned hard to port.

#TeamPort

40. kodt

kodt Defender (605) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

No, I'm afraid not. There is a generic airport shuttle that goes from Midway to Highland, IN. Then you would need to get a cab/uber from Highland to FFF. That might be a pain though. https://www.airportsupersaver.com/

Option B, take the Orange line downtown to Qunicy/Wells stop in the loop and walk a mile to 130 S Green St for this shuttle: https://festdrive.busbank.com/dark-lord-day/

Option C: Take a Cab down to Open Bottle in Tinley Park (probably not too much cheaper than taking a cab all the way to Munster honestly) and then take their shuttle: http://theopenbottle.com/store/?product=dark-lord-day-2018-shuttle-bus

Option D: Fly into O'Hare instead and take a short cab ride to Beer on the wall in Park Ridge, who also have a shuttle. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dark-lord-day-shuttles-tickets-44729272458

Option E: Just suck it up and rent a car or cab/uber/lyft the entire trip.

Ohiou84 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.