Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Dark Lord Vintage Question

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by linnymtu, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linnymtu

linnymtu Zealot (590) Apr 2, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I have a choice between a 2013 and 2014, big difference? If so which do I go for?

Thanks,
    Aaron

alex021224 likes this.
  2. Zimm

Zimm Initiate (0) May 18, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I think it needs time so I would go older for certain.

3. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Champion (838) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I think the general consensus will be go for the 2014. Everyone complains that the 2013 was super sweet.

4. Quickicks

Quickicks Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2013 North Carolina

New coffee. First time I've considered DL pretty good.

I honestly don't know how I feel about aging them anymore. Seems like it would just lose the roast from the coffee and thin out with age. Possibly oxidize.. leading to that whole "soy sauce" thing everyone cries about.

5. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (1,717) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I always recommend people try a beer fresh before tasting it aged

6. rozzom

rozzom Defender (622) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Is "both" an option?

7. Zimm

Zimm Initiate (0) May 18, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Aren't they all super sweet? Had a 2012 that was crazy sweet. Thought he 12 was better than the 13 I had as well. Now with the new coffee used I wanna try the 14 though. Maybe more roasty and a little less sweeter.

8. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The 2012 was the sweetest one.

gibson584 likes this.
  9. gibson584

gibson584 Initiate (164) Dec 11, 2010 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Having tried 2009-2014 I would have to say this year's is easily my favorite. Agreed, 2012 was definitely the sweetest.

10. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

I feel the same way about Huna.
    The 2014 is by far the best I had at a vertical. Maybe we shouldn't be aging these beers after all.

ari32 and gibson584 like this.
  11. Drucifer

Drucifer Devotee (453) Apr 16, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

If you've never had DL, get the 2014 and drink it fresh. I've had 2010-2014, all fresh and aged, and 2014 is among the best. 2012 and 2013 were not great fresh, but have improved in time.

12. linnymtu

linnymtu Zealot (590) Apr 2, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I had a 2012 and thought it was too sweet, didn't like it much. I brought back 12,13,14 year bottles and have traded most of them, but want to keep one to drink.

13. pest

pest Disciple (370) Sep 2, 2007 Ohio
    Beer Trader

They are all super sweet. As a more general rule I prefer them aged around 2 years. Although I haven't tried this years.

14. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (3,808) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Was able to taste 2009-2014 DL about 2 weeks ago. Basically tasting notes go like this:

'14- drinking well, the coffee is actually noticeable in this one, as is some burnt malt character that helps cut the strong sweetness a good bit. Still very sweet, but this is already significantly more balanced than some of the other vintages. As others have said, the new coffee supplier could very well be a gamechanger.
    '13- Very sweet, not getting much coffee at all in it; a little burnt malt but this is overwhelmingly sweet.
    '12- Way, way, way, too sweet. Straight up sugar bomb. Easily my least favorite and in my opinion, the least drinkable.
    '11- Lots of burnt/charred malt, roast coffee, not very sweet at all. It was a nice surprise, but I would still prefer it to be a bit sweeter to help balance out the bitter coffee & burnt malt flavours.
    '10- Perfect combination of bitter coffee, roast and burnt malts, and the diabeetus. This is what's drinking the best right now.
    '09- Way over the hill. The diabeetus has receded a ton while the coffee flavours are incredibly stale with oxidized cardboard flavours. Noticeably thin. But I'd rather have this than 2012.

My order of personal preference: 2010 > 2014 > 2011 > 2013 > 2009 > 2012.

linnymtu likes this.
  15. CerealKillerKP

CerealKillerKP Initiate (0) May 24, 2009 Kentucky

Had some '11 over the weekend and it was drinking great!

16. beerborn

beerborn Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Georgia

Just cracked a '14 and its the first time I've enjoyed DL....every other time I've had it they had been at least 6+ months old already

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.