Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (263) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

How many sleeps is this?

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  2. Mitch_Cumstein

Mitch_Cumstein Initiate (146) Apr 17, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

3. SeanBond

SeanBond Champion (844) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Wait...

May?!?

Is it possible that they're actually trying to avoid it being miserable outside?

4. macewank

macewank Initiate (188) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

So much for the "omfg it's the last saturday in april every year you idiots" crowd from the previous thread.......

dogbert617 and SeanBond like this.
  5. Beanblossom

Beanblossom Initiate (139) Apr 29, 2015 Indiana

Everyone quick, call the Hampton Inn and change your reservations!

6. SeanBond

Beer Trader

I was seriously ready to say "OMFG really, a DLD thread for next year, already?"

And then I saw the date, and got excited.

DAMN YOU, FFF!

7. croush

croush Zealot (530) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I was saying, "Great, another thread with a screwed up title".

I'm looking forward to going to my 2nd DLD next year, and as you mentioned, pushing it out a couple weeks SHOULD help with the weather.

dogbert617, Collin7 and Sabtos like this.
  8. SeanBond

Beer Trader

I can't imagine that pushing it back 2 weeks wouldn't at least make it warmer. I think I'm prepared for the rain this year, but a 10 degree increase (or more) would push the enjoyment factor through the roof.

dogbert617, Born_A_Jee and Sabtos like this.
  9. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (309) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Finally. Change can be good.

10. macewank

Beer Trader

Not sayin I just line jumped at the Hampton but I probably just line jumped at the Hampton.

$116/night is less than I paid to stay a few miles away last year.

dogbert617 likes this.
  11. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (2,858) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

How do you guarantee you'll get tickets though? I always feel like I'll jinx it if I make resos--it's such a crapshoot trying for tickets. There's usually still rooms not too far away even if you wait until after the sales are done.

12. chewymangos

chewymangos Aspirant (282) Jun 12, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I bet they made the move because they lost significant business due to the extremely poor weather. Grabbed a room for Friday and Saturday at the Hampton. Already looking forward to May, that is if I get tickets.

JohnnyHopps and JFresh21 like this.
  13. Dactrius

Dactrius Meyvn (1,081) Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Subscriber Beer Trader

As long as you book refundable it's no big deal. Just like it wasn't a big deal that I just cancelled my reservation at the Courtyard for the previously assumed date for DLD. I'm not sure why the Marriotts are almost already full for the May 13th date, the only thing I saw available was some pricey package deal.

So I just booked the Hampton, hopefully they don't cancel my reservation or something because of the waiting list. Price was already up to $140 though.

14. bocky24

bocky24 Aspirant (250) Apr 10, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

FYI this is Mother's Day weekend.

SeanBond likes this.
  15. macewank

Beer Trader

I'm sorry mama... I never meant to hurt youuuuuu.. I never meant to make you cry, but today, I'm goin to DL Day..

16. bocky24

Beer Trader

I just tried to book a room and it wouldn't let me

17. macewank

Beer Trader

Assuming that's hotel management going "ohhhhh shit".

They had the hotel booked full for April 29th under the assumption DLD was taking place that day, and they have a waiting list a mile long for a room.

Be reeaaaaaaaaaal interesting to see how they handle this

bocky24 and -TK421- like this.
  18. puftdank

puftdank Devotee (405) Sep 13, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

That date doesn't work for me.

antoines15 likes this.
  19. bocky24

Beer Trader

I'm 46th on waiting list, hope they honor that.

20. SeanBond

Beer Trader

Uh...this is Beer Advocate, you can choose to subscribe to one of the following two methods:

1) You book your room, and then line up 47 of your closest friends to help you get tickets.

Then you strike out.

And you post back in this thread, asking if someone has an extra.

2) You go with the "Old Money Approach," and either buy tickets off of a scalper for $10,000 apiece, or you trade one of the following:

A - TG Assassin + KBBS + 1 case BCS (per ticket)
    B - One can of three month old King Julius (per ticket)

21. chewymangos

Beer Trader

Yea I'm wondering if they cancel all the bookings made today due to the dates changing. Not sure if I think it's reasonable to do so or not. Allowing people to be put on a list when there was no guarantee of a specific date is somewhat their own fault. Hotel or not I'm sure I will still try and purchase tickets either way and make the trip.

22. Sabtos

Beer Trader

lol. So really, people buy tickets off of others? How does that work on the day of? I mean they literally checked everyone's IDs with their tickets last year. At least the line I was in.

Anyway, never had an issue booking a room after the fact. Now watch...

23. FEUO

FEUO Disciple (325) Jul 24, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

I can't imagine they will do that as they have no idea if I am booking to attend DLD or not.
    The wait list will obviously happen again and many will get rooms once people like me strike out trying to get them on St.Patrick's Day (if thats the day they release them).

24. SeanBond

Beer Trader

I think you have to go as the person's guest, still (so basically you can only buy one ticket per pair, or something). I'm not positive on this, since I've never done so or tried myself, but I think that's how it works.

25. SeanBond

Beer Trader

The St. Paddy's Day thing is one of my favorite things about the whole ticket release. Giving beer nerds something they have to be near a computer/sober(ish) near their phone for on a drinking holiday is pure evil genius.

FEUO likes this.
  26. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Aspirant (270) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Screws over the hotel. They know they can charge higher rates with the higher demand and then I'm sure a bunch of people booked the new date at a cheaper cost than they would have allowed if they knew DLD was on that day.

l1nemup, eifster82 and SeanBond like this.
  27. chewymangos

Beer Trader

With this information coming way earlier than anybody would have expected I wouldn't be surprised if ticket sales go differently this year also.

ECOBOOSTINST and FEUO like this.
  28. SeanBond

Beer Trader

Agreed, although I can't feel sorry for them at all. I'm not a huge fan of demand-based variable pricing (although in the case of Uber, I understand why it's necessary).

puftdank likes this.
  29. Dactrius

Dactrius Meyvn (1,081) Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I've never done it but yes people sell their guest tickets and then have to awkwardly hang out at least for a little bit with the people who they gouged.

beerbelly_mike and mjacks9 like this.
  30. TheKlevin

TheKlevin Devotee (429) Aug 6, 2014 Michigan
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I stayed at the Hampton last year and was put on a list for this year. Saw the date announcement and booked a room for Saturday night. Win win?

31. HouseofWortship

Beer Trader

Yeah, my buddy charged me $230 for a ticket last year, what was that all about?:wink:

croush likes this.
  32. eifster82

eifster82 Defender (651) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

With the earlier event day info for DLD 17, I can see us eclipsing last year's thread length of 110+ pages.

ChiCubs78 and TheKlevin like this.
  33. postmarc

postmarc Initiate (0) May 18, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I hear they pushed the date back to allow for the apple brandy barrels

BuffaloBill12 and TheKlevin like this.
  34. eifster82

eifster82 Defender (651) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I thought it was to increase the amount of time for rumors that people have to speculate about the manner in which the variants will be distributed. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's why.

DrippingI, SoxFan, aep and 5 others like this.
  35. Sabtos

Beer Trader

To put it mildly :grinning:

36. HouseofWortship

Beer Trader

I'm pretty sure regular DLD is still last week in April. The one two weeks later is Orthodox Dark Lord Day...

37. mdomask

mdomask Aspirant (273) May 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

#oldmoney has a much better approach to DLD attendance these suggestions. This seems like the #newmoney approach :wink:

Robyn, mbockstruck30, core42 and 2 others like this.
  38. SeanBond

Beer Trader

You're right, #oldmoney just buys part of the brewery and tells them which bottles to set aside.

FEUO likes this.
  39. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Disciple (300) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It is super early for them to be posting this information. I wonder if they're going to sell tickets soon. The pic was captioned with STAY TUNED..."
    I thought it was for the hot mustard variant.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.