Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,093) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

DryHop-hating aside, can someone please explain why a brewery would ever have a non-standard-sized growler? If 32 and 64 oz growlers are like 95% of the country, what do you gain in being special? Forcing people to own more glassware than they need to?

Also, if it actually hits spring/summer-like temps for DLD, I think this is the 3rd part of the trifecta that signals the end of the world: the Cubs winning the WS, Trump miraculously winning the Presidency, and Dark Lord Day not being an incredibly miserable slog (yes, it could rain, and there could be mud, but if you're warm, who gives a shit?).

2. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,388) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I feel like a lot of breweries in the NE have 750 ml, just not necessarily around here.

eppie82 likes this.
  3. SeanBond

Trader

Yeah, that's possible. I guess my question should be rephrased as "why are we not using 2 standardized sizes for growlers?" Bottle sizes can vary, that's fine, but people shouldn't have to have 8 different empty growlers on deck to ensure being able to get a fill at a brewery.

4. chicagopubcrawler21

chicagopubcrawler21 Aspirant (222) Jan 28, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Ha! Beer did survive! Pride and tailbone not so much

SeanBond and aep like this.
  5. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

I agree. It does kind of suck to have 10 left over growlers from a trip to HF. Some places fill them, some places dont. Which is too bad I relaly enjoy the flip top kind. Hell ive taken to turning some of my 750's is to storage for cooking. I keep 2 types of oil in some HF 750's

eppie82 and SeanBond like this.
  6. vikingpillager

vikingpillager Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2017 Illinois

Ouch! Come on man it wasn't THAT bad.
    As for H.A., their stuff is good I agree (minus Supreme Palace--easily the worst beer I sampled). I would've paid whatever they asked for a to-go fill, but the fact that they flat-out refused to fill either of mine and peddled their own twist-top crap really left a bad taste in my mouth..

7. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

I mean can you really blame them? Most breweries refuse all glass that isnt theirs. I dont think you can hate on HA for refusing to fill glass that is 1. Not theirs coupled with the fact that 2 you have odd sizes.

8. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,416) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

The irony of discussing what glassware breweries accept when filling growlers in a Three Floyds thread.:wink:

prg, ChiCubs78, JohnnyHopps and 6 others like this.
  9. vikingpillager

vikingpillager Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2017 Illinois

As you can see I'm having a very hard time distracting myself from the fact that DLD is still 4 months away!

SeanBond likes this.
  10. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Aspirant (292) May 13, 2014 California

Wait, was it you that fell right in front of the porta-potty, maybe 3-4pm? Kinda wallowed around on your back because the backpack was so heavy... almost like a turtle...

After another guy helped you up, you made it into the can, and then got a round of applause when you exited?

kristy7911 and Sabtos like this.
  11. chicagopubcrawler21

chicagopubcrawler21 Aspirant (222) Jan 28, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Nah i fell by one of the beer gardens. I did wallow like a turtle, and am really upset with not receiving a round of applause. That guy won.

SeanBond, Sabtos and croush like this.
  12. SeanBond

Trader

Outside of the fact that I still have yet to get any sort of good BA beer (besides Behemoth) on tap at a DLD, I think my biggest regret is that I rarely see any of the incredibly drunk people that dominate talk on this thread for weeks after DLD (although I did have a beer near the guy who was hanging out on one of the garbage cans last year).

TonyLuvsBeer and vikingpillager like this.
  13. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (953) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Or it possible you don't see them because...YOU ARE THEM? (Mind explodes)

reefer_bob and SeanBond like this.
  14. SeanBond

Trader

Haaaa

Sadly, no. I'm usually one of the most sober people at DLD :slight_frown:

(partially because I'm with my girlfriend, and I feel bad getting trashed all day while she has to play designated driver)

15. TrapJaw77

TrapJaw77 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois

Don't feel bad, use it as an excuse to get even more blasted. That's what I do when my wife is actually willing to drive anywhere.

SeanBond likes this.
  16. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (470) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

It gets harder to pay attention for drunk people as you get sauced yourself. Have no fear however, as there is always some guy shitfaced by 10am. Just pay attention to anyplace with a tent setup near the entrances. That's usually someone's home base and an easy place to find someone passed out in a chair drooling.

SeanBond likes this.
  17. SeanBond

Trader

Assuming I get tickets again this year, I shall be on the alert!

18. kodt

kodt Defender (632) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Learn 2 DLD.

I have had on tap at DLD over the years:

Vanilla Bean Dark Lord 09,10,14,15 (possibly more)
    Coffee Congac Dark Lord
    Dwarven Power Bottom
    Aquavit Dark Lord
    Muerte Dark Lord (multiple years)
    Bourbon Barrel Dark Lord (multiple years)
    Brandy Dark Lord
    CBS
    Apple Brandy Zhukov
    Sherry Marshal Zhukov
    BA Hells Black Intelligencer
    BA Grand Poobah w Cherry
    BBPt5

That's just off my head, I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty

19. ericfoster83

ericfoster83 Initiate (105) Sep 16, 2010 Indiana

Eh, last years guest taps were hot garbage for the most part. I was in line when they tapped Prop and that blew before I got from 7 deep in my line to the front, and that was the coolest beer I saw tapped in my time there. I was A group and inherited a bunch of beer tickets from friends sick of the rain so I pretty much just cycled through the tap lines all afternoon, and outside the random DL variant tapping (power bottom was everywhere and not something I wanted more than one pour of) I didn't see half the cool shit I've seen in years past.

kreg02 likes this.
  20. Ditkastache

Ditkastache Initiate (120) Dec 7, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Jackie o's was the best beer I had on tap last year. Agree that the taps in 2014 were much better than the last 2 years. I'm guessing that the terrible weather kept them from rotating. Hoping for better luck this year.

beerhan and ericfoster83 like this.
  21. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,755) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Pretty much this.

Ok, but how?

I mean I got lucky with DPB (which I actually didn't like very much) and made my old lady stand in a line while I searched around for the next variant, and she got lucky with an MMHJ. However, when I wasn't trying to stay out of the rain and/or standing in line for my bottles, it felt like I was running around from one tap to the next and almost nothing ever popped up. I don't know how I keep hearing reports of people getting almost all of the variants, because unless you stood at a tap station where you somehow had secret info guaranteeing they would tap something (don't think that actually happens), it was a crap shoot, and the stuff kicked rapidly when it did pop up.

Also I feel like hovering by a tap station is really awkward, since they don't let you line up, there's a big cluster of folks you're just standing by or sharing with, then you have to tussle with everyone you've been standing with once they announce a rare keg.

SeanBond and VABA like this.
  22. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,428) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Best beers I was able to have on tap were BBPt5th (which I wasn't the biggest fan of) and Boneyard Notorious Triple IPA. I saw some interesting things like BA Blot out the Sun and a Hill Farmstead IPA, but both were gone by the time I got to the front of the line I was waiting in. I ended up having Dark Lord '16 three separate times but I was really hoping for the variants of any kind. Here's to hoping for some better luck this year (should I be able to secure tickets again).

23. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (431) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Here's a hot DLD tip. If there's a beer on tap that you want. Go to where there's no line. Tell that person you want that beer. They'll run and get it for you. Tip appropriately.

malfunxion and beerhan like this.
  24. Lazhal

Trader

Well aren't you Mr. Elitest. How about becoming a beer advocate too?

xxbassplayerxx and fondyball20 like this.
  25. Lazhal

Trader

This works at some of the tents but not all, at least from my experience. Maybe some are luckier than me.

26. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,755) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

If there is no line, what person are you telling? Or do you mean the staff? Hmm...

27. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (431) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

At the guest taps. Sometimes there's no line at some of the booths. In my experience just because you're on one side of the taps doesn't meant they won't get you something from the other side.

Sabtos likes this.
  28. kodt

Trader

My point was simply that there are in fact good beers on tap at DLD.

Last year was worse than years prior I will agree.

HouseofWortship likes this.
  29. SeanBond

Trader

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I'm well aware that there are good beers on tap, I've just never had the good luck to see ANY of the ones you've mentioned. I don't spend the majority of my time hovering around the taps, so it basically comes down to me getting lucky when I've finished my beer (or want another beer); so far I haven't been lucky (I'm relatively sure I've never even seen regular DL on tap, although it's possible that I've seen it once). I spend most of the time wandering with my girlfriend, and making the occasional pit stop at White Caste for some of their fine cuisine. I'm sure if I spent more time getting a beer and then popping back in line to get another beer while drinking the first, I'd have better luck. I know the beers are out there, they've just been elusive for me in the first 3 years that I've gone.

I also don't spend the entire day at DLD (usually half a day or so), so I'm sure that cuts down on my odds a little, too. But then again, I'm part of last year's Group A that got screwed into buying DL bottles after Group B, so I'm probably just cursed. :sunglasses:

30. SeanBond

Trader

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only person in this weird world where BAVDL isn't on tap at every stand.

Sabtos likes this.
  31. kodt

Trader

Yeah that makes sense. I don't hover by the tents either, but I tend to stay late, a few years closing out the fest. After 6pm it clears out pretty good and you can get BA DL taps much easier. There is some luck in the guest taps but in my group we tend to always have someone who was sent to the taps to get whatever was good and they bring back 2 beers or so to share.

I recall one year Parabajava and Rue D Floyd available with zero line later in the evening. Could get multiple pours of each no big deal,

HouseofWortship likes this.
  32. Lazhal

Trader

Thanks for sharing. Time of day certainly is a good marker for judging tap quality. Let's hope for some better quality taps in 2017, compared to 2016.

kodt likes this.
  33. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (315) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I'm just hoping that they don't have stuff like Yum Yum and Alpha King on all day at multiple taps. That was definitely annoying.

ericfoster83 and eppie82 like this.
  34. kodt

Trader

Yeah, in 14 or 15 they had Baller Stout at pretty much every tent first thing, instead of a regular year round offering. I'm guessing they were just clearing out their stock that year.

35. SeanBond

Trader

I definitely think staying late helps, but I'm kind of torn between two options there, since I can't stay the entirety of the fest (my girlfriend would murder me), but try to get there early to have my pick of bottles (didn't work last year, but that's a different story). All in all I know it's a luck thing, so I'm not super upset, just hoping my luck changes soon.

36. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (224) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Can anyone confirm approximately what time the whales went on tap. I think I read there was BA Abraxas, FVM, Marsh Handjee, etc.... I left around 6 PM last year and I never saw shit at any of the taps. Best I got was regular Dark Lord and that was sometime in the early afternoon (~noon-2PM). If they bring out super stuff later in the night - I'll be staying until they close up shop.

ebe2023 likes this.
  37. SeanBond

Trader

Clearly I'm the wrong person to answer this, but from what I've read in these threads, the good stuff pops up randomly all day. It seems like being around later is a better bet just because so many people have left or passed out (giving you more of a shot to get in line easily), but it doesn't sound like there's a set schedule to the taps (at least one that's public info).

38. dwduncan2

dwduncan2 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2012 Illinois

My experience later in the day has actually been the opposite. The lack of people means the taps do not get rotated often or even at all. Sure if something goes on you can likely get 5 pours if you want before it blows, but it seems less likely you'll find something solid on later in the day.

Just personal experience though..

39. SeanBond

Trader

Oh yeah, that makes perfect sense. I'm just saying that if something good is on tap you'll be likely to get it. I remember someone saying that by the end of the night a few years back, they convinced someone to fill a growler with BAVDL. The bastards.

40. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (953) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

The good stuff goes on in the morning when more people tend to be there and it cycles through quicker, but that being said they don't just blow all the whales as they kick. They also have timed ones all fest long.... If you aren't at the taps, how on earth do you plan to see something that will kick if you aren't already in the line? Game of Lines...only you can decide whether it is worth it to you, but I'm like Kodt, I've figured out how it works and score multiple DL variants and other good stuff on draft every year.

SeanBond likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.