Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (118) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I think every post of a weather forecast keeps increasing the chance of rain.

2. rjochems3

rjochems3 Initiate (0) May 8, 2017 Ohio

FFF DLD newbie. Have read the entire DLD forum, but haven't seen this questioned asked or answered. What is your choice on glassware for DLD? Pint glass, Yeti, Snifter, hanging tasting glass, red Solo cup?

3. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (218) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

My iPhone is showing Rain now for Saturday. WTF????? Hi of 71.

4. myersk27

myersk27 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Indiana

my yellow rain suit has been in the car for the last 2 weeks......it was the first thing I packed. I'm ready.

Collin7, Billy_Bars and axf4129 like this.
  5. JJH1018

JJH1018 Initiate (173) Sep 13, 2013 Illinois

I'd prefer it to be in the 60's since I'll be drinking RIS all day. Don't get me wrong, I'll take 70's and partially sunny. Just let me stay dry for the day!

I hazily remember 2014. Pretty sure it was in the 50's or 60's and I was in a hoodie and jeans. You won't feel the cold by noon anyway.

JLA1221 and eppie82 like this.
  6. reedmo

reedmo Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2017 Indiana

Billy_Bars likes this.
  7. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Ohio

My Yahoo Weather app and my built in Weather app on my iPhone are both showing mostly sunny for Saturday.

With temps reaching 70 on Saturday, hydrating levels will definitely be elevated.

8. baker2gs

baker2gs Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2010 Illinois

845am from Bartlett and 9am-ish from Schaumburg.

9. rossracing

rossracing Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2013 Illinois

DARK LORD DAY
    Location — Three Floyds / Munster, IN
    Time – 9am-9pm

MAY

Deth by Plums and Loganberry Reserve will be pouring during Dark Lord Day 2017 at Three Floyd's Brewery!
    via revolution

10. BrandonK

BrandonK Initiate (39) Jul 15, 2012 Indiana

I did a tasting glass on a lanyard last year and that worked well. With all the rain rinsing wasn't really an issue but this year I'm bringing a water bottle with a spout for a quick rinse.

Collin7 and Ohiou84 like this.
  11. rossracing

We'll have these American-made, limited edition tees at the Brewers of Indiana Guild booth at the entrance for $25. Proceeds support the Guild's mission to support Indiana breweries through education, promotion, and legislation. Stop by and see us.

[​IMG]

12. rossracing

13. Born_A_Jee

Born_A_Jee Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois

Three Floyds better mix up those tote bags. I can picture the scene...a guy walks up to one of the tables, gets a bag and opens it to find a Handjee. He screams out, "I got a Handjee!" Immediately everyone after him in line runs to that ONE table that gave it to him thinking that person has the "random" pallet of Handjee totes. That will be insane.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Initiate (68) Jul 16, 2014 Illinois

A pint glass might be overkill since you'll probably be drinking 1-3 ounces of beer at a time (unless you give yourself a huge pour). Smaller glasses are much better for pacing yourself throughout the day. If you plan to drink a lot of wild ales, a slightly bigger (but still small) glass can better accommodate excessive foaminess/carbonation.

A snifter or a plastic cup should do fine. I prefer plastic though. In addition to not having worry about broken glass, snifters get pretty sticky/greasy/gross after a few pours (even when I give them rinses from a water bottle).

Additionally, having a bunch of plastic cups is great for doling out pours to people that may want to taste something, but already have a beer (or receiving a pour if you already have a beer).

Lots of guys on here have lanyard rigs with snifters or mini mason jars, but they can better speak to that. I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/Settings-Clear-Plastic-Disposable-Count/dp/B00XPXW7DM

At the end of the day, just don't bring your favorite glass. Things get lost and broken.

JoeSpartan22 likes this.
  15. myersk27

myersk27 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Indiana

i use a mini mason jar, think salt and pepper shakers from target or somewhere, and I attach it to my lanyard with a carabiner clip. I will take a 1-2oz pour of a beer and then a full pour of water after consuming the beer. baby pours followed by water consumption really saves the day.

BigKev23, drac86, eppie82 and 2 others like this.
  16. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (900) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Easiest thing to do is to rent a tank and park it in Veteran's Park which is in the industrial park. They will think it is part of the exhibit. I always fly in to DLD and you'll see my helicopter parked in the bushes there.

17. jmaloney613

jmaloney613 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2012 Illinois

Coffee variants from Dark Matter!

18. HouseofWortship

Trader

And just like FFF, they didn't bring enough variants for everybody....

Also, they seem to have a better grasp of what makes a good variant than FFF.

19. Kejbeer

Kejbeer Initiate (0) May 21, 2016 Indiana

DARK LORD DAY NEWS!!!! WILL THE DARK LORD SEE HIS SHADOW?!!!!!! IS OUR REPORTER GOING TO MELTDOWN?!!!! ENJOY AND STAY TUNED!!!

20. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Ohio

I did not pick up Dark Matter last year (actually, I don't recall if they were there last year). How quickly do you all think these will sell out during DLD?

Askchucky likes this.
  21. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Aspirant (203) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Three Floyds doesn't have water stations during this event right? I wanted to see if I remembered this correctly.

22. HouseofWortship

Trader

You will want to go straight to that line if you are one of the 1st 200 people to get in. That quick. Especially now that the FFF variants are rando...

Collin7 and TheKlevin like this.
  23. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (306) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I definitely think some of that will happen, or people loitering near the front refusing to take it because the last few got vintage or Dia Oscuro.

There will be some stupidity of some type for sure.

Born_A_Jee likes this.
  24. the_ceeeeg

the_ceeeeg Initiate (0) May 10, 2016 Illinois

25. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

Indeed.
    That's what she said.
    C'mon now, give me a little credit :wink:
    You called it lol.

26. Fox82791

Fox82791 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2014 New York

please find me there, if (and/or my +1) gets vintages theyre all yours for $50. Ill be wearing the Buffalo Sabres hat

27. kodt

kodt Defender (618) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yes, there are water stations. Check the map.

ChiCubs78 and Kejbeer like this.
  28. reedmo

reedmo Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2017 Indiana

Welcome back! How was your nap after the big bottle?

HouseofWortship and ChiCubs78 like this.
  29. ChiCubs78

Phenomenal, thank you.

reedmo likes this.
  30. JLA1221

JLA1221 Initiate (186) Oct 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

In a marathon session, yes. On a Wednesday afternoon/night? It'd be more than enough for me.

Speaking of Chocolate Rain they were selling it online as of yesterday.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  31. MasterPenguins

MasterPenguins Initiate (0) May 16, 2014 Indiana

Deal!

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  32. JLA1221

JLA1221 Initiate (186) Oct 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Am curious as to how the logistics will work. Will they put allocations on the tables? If so, do the 6-count bags stand out like Whack A Mole? If they use the black totes they used last year, even 5 bottles aren't a great fit. Would be best if they just hand them out 1 by 1 in a chain as you come through.

33. croush

croush Crusader (789) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I assume (or hope) that the system will entail you being presented with a bag of the beers, and there is no negotiation about whether you take that or another one. You take the one offered, or you get nothing. #NoDLforyou #DLDNazi

34. ChiCubs78

Pretty safe bet that it'll be done this way.
    *Subject to change

TheKlevin and JLA1221 like this.
  35. zach60614

zach60614 Initiate (0) May 1, 2012 Illinois

They should staple them shut so it is a bit of a struggle to open so people can't mill about trying to find the bag they want.

TheKlevin, JLA1221 and ChiCubs78 like this.
  36. mdomask

mdomask Initiate (0) May 27, 2012 Illinois

5oz plastic tumblers. GFS is generally cheapest, but you can also find them at party city:
    http://www.partycity.com/product/clear+plastic+tumblers+5oz+88ct.do

I tend to take a stack of like 20. If one breaks, no big deal. Someone needs an extra glass to double fist? Here, have one. I need an extra glass for a supa-whalez? Got it covered.

No reason to break out fancy glassware. Save that for your home tastings. Disposable all day long.

37. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,406) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Let's hope for no labels at all on the variants. You basically find out after you open with the name on inside of the cap. Would totally ruin secondary market and trade value.

38. zach60614

zach60614 Initiate (0) May 1, 2012 Illinois

It would certainly make for a more exciting (but possibly disappointing) Dark Lord variant share.

39. Hoppity1

Hoppity1 Aspirant (225) Apr 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

You are on the right track, but they should seal the bag by cauterizing it with the blood of aborted Dragons. That would be way more metal!

Born_A_Jee, prg, TheKlevin and 9 others like this.
  40. ChiCubs78

I might be able to make this happen...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.