Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. croush

croush Crusader (790) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I had a hell of a time today. Great weather, great run event, great share. Went in the Group B bottle line with @kdawgmoney and one of his buddies...we got 2 FVM and a Handjee. I definitely heard about people getting vintages throughout different groups, so it did seem random.

Great hanging out with @eifster82 and the rest of his crew as well. So much good beer going around that I felt spoiled. Sorry I didn't get to meet up with the rest of you BA/DA guys, especially @That_Bearded_Guy to do the BAVSS/RBAVSS side by side...beer kinda got in the way.

And apparently I was ready to drink my FVM pretty much right way...but that isn't confirmed.

2. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (382) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

As someone that has not been a fan of muerte at all, i grabbed a pour on draft.

It's really good this year. They completely dialed in the pepper. It's complementary, and not overwhelming.

If you drink it, you'll like it.

3. ChWRoCk

ChWRoCk Initiate (44) Dec 9, 2013 Illinois

Even though i got two vintages i don't have, still had a blast. Everyone in my group got a variant so ill get to try one. I might go to hunapuh instead next year, i have no problem with how Floyd's did it, just sick of missing out on variants.

Derivation was probably the best tap i had. Also enjoyed earl, and someone gave me a pour of temeculan, i think i actually really like cardamom in a beer.

Although who am i kidding, il be back still I'm sure :rolling_eyes:

4. here4thebeer11

here4thebeer11 Initiate (0) May 30, 2015 Indiana

That's reassuring to hear, thanks man!

Billy_Bars likes this.
  5. JakeT469

JakeT469 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

So what vintages/variants did people see on tap? All we had was '16, '17 DL and Chemtrail, Meurte and multiple Ronaldo taps. No sign of the vanillas anywhere and we stayed pretty much until the end.

6. CurtisLoew

CurtisLoew Initiate (190) Jun 18, 2010 Wisconsin

Didn't see any vanilla variants. Had a 2015 bourbon ba variant near the end.

Billy_Bars likes this.
  7. Dfonorow

Dfonorow Initiate (0) May 24, 2011 Illinois

Same here, plus '14 DL. Also didn't hear of a vanilla variant on tap anywhere from anyone.

JakeT469 likes this.
  8. jrstar96

jrstar96 Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2016 Texas

Do you know how many chemtrials? I really want to try and trade for that over any other for some reason.

9. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (580) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana

We had bourbon, chem trail, muerte, power bottom

I know they tapped ronaldo

10. Jinx989

Jinx989 Zealot (546) Apr 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

my bottle of Chemtrail says 1505

funhog and jrstar96 like this.
  11. Amluker

Amluker Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2014 Illinois

That is roughly what I had with 2x Chemtrails couldn't tell the last number. It is definitely 150*.

I've Been following this thread from the get go and it was definitely entertaining. I am just starting to get into beer and DLD was a different experience. Plan to do it bigger next year!

12. kidzord

kidzord Initiate (0) May 7, 2013 Illinois

The new labels look bad in my opinion.

13. here4thebeer11

IMO, it looks like they wanted to cut costs and use a very similar logo for everything.

14. kidzord

Sorry, meant for the regular non BA Darklord. I dig the labels on the variants- esp on Handjee and Ronaldo.

TheKlevin and here4thebeer11 like this.
  15. here4thebeer11

Ah got ya, no worries. I didn't even see those two so I don't know lol. I do agree on the regular though, it seems more comic'y than past years.

kidzord likes this.
  16. kidzord

Yeah... and too... close? Let's zoom out on that artwork a bit, eh?

Billy_Bars and here4thebeer11 like this.
  17. prg

prg Initiate (47) Apr 13, 2016 Indiana

That was me. Had a great time today. Need to drink a few gallons of water.

18. TheKlevin

TheKlevin Disciple (300) Aug 6, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Landed two Vintage bottles! My guest got handjee though so I can't complain. Had dwarven power bottom on tap next to the tent. What a day!!!

scola21 likes this.
  19. JJ_17

JJ_17 Initiate (179) Apr 22, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

I can confirm that a fellow BA yelled out Dragon Abortion in group A. He looked
    around to see if anyone knew what he was talking about and I fist bumped him and yelled it out as well. What a great way to start my DLD.

20. Billy_Bars

Billy_Bars Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2014 Illinois

I died. But overall it was a blast. Dragon Abortion forever.

21. Billy_Bars

FWIW, heard muerte was good this yeah.

here4thebeer11 likes this.
  22. Billy_Bars

Had CTM on draft. It's incredible.

JJ_17 likes this.
  23. Billy_Bars

Damn. Wish I saw these. Oh well, great time nonetheless.

24. Billy_Bars

Wanna be in your group next year. Thanks.

Zoomslowik likes this.
  25. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,484) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Unless there was somebody else that did the same, that was me.

Beer_Economicus, Billy_Bars and JJ_17 like this.
  26. vrundmc

vrundmc Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2017 New Jersey

Group A; Handjee and Muerte. We had a blast and are happy with our variants.

jmaloney613 likes this.
  27. FrankenBeery

FrankenBeery Initiate (0) May 6, 2017 Indiana

Outstanding! Great to meet you guys! Thanks for the burger and beers! Full agree on the gallons of water.

28. Narthax

Narthax Crusader (741) Mar 23, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Our group got: FVMx8, HJx3, BBDLx1, Ronaldox1, Arbegx1
    10 Group B, 2 Group C, 2 Group E.

The FVM were all fron group B, 2 HJ were from group E.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  29. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,411) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Hell yeah man! We had a great time. Was happy everyone was able to meet up and share their awesome beers. That Rye BAVSS was one of my favorite beers of the day. The good beer was definitely flowing and fast!

And how about that weather!? If only all DLDs could be so nice.

croush likes this.
  30. ericfoster83

ericfoster83 Initiate (105) Sep 16, 2010 Indiana

Pro tip: drinking 5 gallons of water and then sleeping 15 hours really helps get you back to feeling normal.

31. kodt

kodt Defender (619) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Powerade + Pedialyte + water + more water has me feeling better than the last several years.

32. Crisb184

Crisb184 Initiate (129) Dec 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

For this that tried handjee this year, how was it? How did it stack up to previous years?

33. Shriner

Shriner Initiate (72) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

My thoughts: The fest was well run! We arrived around 9am for Group A and made it into the fest in about an hour. We both got French Vanilla which I would love to trade for a handjee or BBA if anyone is interested.

The guest taps and FFF taps by the stage were awesome and lines were virtually non -existant. I tried the following: Muerte, Ronaldo, Zombie v. Unicorn (amazing), Jackie O Barleywine

34. Mojo9

Mojo9 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2012 Illinois

Weather was perfect. My buddy and I had a great time. Group D, I scored the Dia Oscuro (76/183), he scored the FVM. Lines seemed to move pretty well once you got in the cattle corral. So much sharing we missed most of the taps later in the day. I hope they continue to do the random bags, a lot less stress.

35. ChitownSpartan

ChitownSpartan Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2013 Illinois

Never had previous years. It was quite good tho. Wasn't as much of a vanilla bomb as I expected. Also it was prob a bit warm since I tried a bottle somebody cracked right after walking out with it. Overall I was impressed but it's not something I'd drop half my cellar or hundreds of dollars on. I actually really regret not getting to try chemtrail. Heard amazing things. Had the chem, muerte and Ronaldo all blow when I was within striking distance. So kinda bummed about that. Anybody try the black barleywine collaboration with dark horse? Thought it was pretty good (thats what I got when ronaldo blew)

YoDudeguy likes this.
  36. Bugsmcl

Bugsmcl Initiate (196) May 2, 2016 Ohio

I'm still drunk........

funhog, wcu80, ChiCubs78 and 2 others like this.
  37. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,411) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

So do we know how many of each variant was bottled for DLD? Shouldn't be too hard then to figure how many vintages were given out.

Dia Oscuro 183
    Marshmallow Handjee 1227
    French Vanilla Militia 2896
    Bourbon BADL 644
    Chemtrail Mix 1505
    Muerte 1547
    Ronaldo 600

(Do the numbers above look correct)

#7477 eppie82, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
  38. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

I wanted to give a HUGE thanks to some generous people here. The people that shared these with me, as both were new brewery ticks and both were absolutely incredible!

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

I also want to thank the couple from Iowa that brought enough King Sue and TG Hops to sink a battleship!

[​IMG][/URL]

And the biggest thanks to a random that was kind enough to go through the E allotment with me. For his troubles I gave him a '17 DL, a bba 10-50, and the lions share of my prop '14.

This was the smoothest run event I've ever been to. All of the lines were quick(except for dark matter swag), taps were abundant as were good and water! I honestly don't know what anyone could complain about...

Cheers All and see you there next year!

Beer_Economicus, jrstar96 and beerhan like this.
  39. donovansill

donovansill Initiate (174) May 19, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Went through in group A and then went back in group E for my drunken friend, definitely saw more vintage in group A than in group E but obviously in and out pretty fast both times.

40. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (314) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Thought you guys would get a laugh out of this...

When I got home, I realized I had a weird irritation along my neck. At first I thought it was from some knotted fabric on my shirt. But right after I logged off last night, it hit me: pretzel necklace. It must have been caught under my backpack a few times and the string pulled against my neck. So it helped keep me coherent, but I paid a price.

beerhan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.