Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. croush

croush Crusader (790) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, I was bummed about this too. But, I kinda knew I waited too long. My inebriated self decided to purchase a regular 3 Floyds t-shirt instead, which I really like.

Add getting in the merchandise line earlier to next year's goals, along with eating food and checking out the taps. I probably could've skipped the Dark Matter line in the beginning, but there was plenty of good sharing there, so it was still great.

eppie82 and ChiCubs78 like this.
  2. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (911) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

She was stored in a cool, dark place.

3. macewank

macewank Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

My weekend went about as well as I expected it would.

1. Hampton Munster share. Someone walked off with my Saison du Ble and my buddy's Fonta Flora bottle before we had opened them. Had a great time sharing beer. Shared out some of my buddy's homebrew which was cool because people get excited for it.
    2. Went to bed early, got in line around 7AM.. Shared beer with good people.
    3. Group A. Got my bottles. 2014 and 2015 vintage. Was demoralized as hell, didn't even want to be there.. Ate some food. Posted on FB about trading them for literally anything else because I have multiples of both of those at home already. Got a bite for a 2016 De Muerte. The day was saved
    4. Went to the private share I was invited to outside of the gate and drank a bunch there
    5. Went back to the hotel and slept around 7.

My desire to go next year is going to hinge 100% on the beer/variant situation.

I understand that my situation isn't exactly the same as everyone else's in that walking inside the gate at DLD to me is actually, 100%, absolutely, without a doubt, about buying Dark Lord. I'm not huge into metal, I share outside the gates with a group of friends/extended friends.

I was real bummed about that vintage beer. It ended up working out okay, as I'm sure it would have for anyone who was willing to put in a little effort to correct it. Next year though, they gotta pick a plan and stick to it. The constant changing of rules was annoying as hell, regardless of whether or not they were allowed to do it.

4. Coel

Coel Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

I think I was there for that. It was freaking awesome. Thank you.

P.s. If that wasn't you someone else shared it and thank you

FrankenBeery likes this.
  5. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (911) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I find it interesting we went from people complaining about possibly not getting a variant to complaining about which variant they got....

6. macewank

macewank Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

That's why I'm here.. We gotta get back on track!

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  7. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (358) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

I was mainly posted up near the NW corner of the big tent, until we moved to the band area later in the day. I jumped the gun and traded my FMV too early though, as a good buddy (and his wife) in a later group ended up getting 2 Muertes. So I could have helped him out. But oh well.

YoDudeguy likes this.
  8. TastyDelicousness

TastyDelicousness Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2013 Illinois

I can say you can add (2) more FVM's to that mix as well as a bag with the vintages. Was with a smaller than normal group this year. Each of us had a an "A" ticket. Although the two vintages were traded very quickly outside for a Ronaldo....

As someone else mentioned, I was polite to the people at the bag table. I said to the guy, "Good morning sir. Thanks for being here today and helping out." That may or may not have helped get something tasty. Either way it goes back to not being a dick. I was super thankful for all the folks helping out. Not easy dealing with drunks who started hitting it at 3-4 Am....

enoves24, eppie82 and core42 like this.
  9. Coel

Coel Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

Also this is where I was posted up. Thanks to everyone I saw. Had a blast can't wait till 2018 for the dldbadabs2
    [​IMG]

10. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Ohio

Regarding earlier post about a lot of Chemtrailmix coming out in group E...I concur. My wife and I both got this and I think a lot of folks around us in line got this too.

11. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,469) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Yes, as the aptly named @YoDudeguy stated, this was the bread pudding. The ice cream on top was really rich yet really melty because it was sunny but also because the bread pudding was hot as fuck. They sea salted it fairly heavily as well, I think trying to mask the sweetness. Despite how much I like salted caramel, I'd rather have had it unsalted and much colder just for the full effect, but in any case it was still really good.

JoeSpartan22 and YoDudeguy like this.
  12. HazeBro83

HazeBro83 Initiate (94) Mar 14, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Me and my brother both had group A and we both got Chemtrail Mix, whatever that's worth.

13. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

I still can't believe I didn't run into you guys. I walked through there several times going from my tent group to my stage area group. Start at the last "T" in TENT, go south to the very edge of the tent, and we were at that table.

14. croush

Trader

I thought it was kinda curious how packed the tent was despite the good weather. I had figured people would spread out more without it raining all day. Of course, there was only one tent this year as opposed to two, and I did see a lot of people spread out in different areas. I just can't understand sitting under the tent most of the day when we had just about the best day of weather yet this year.

15. kodt

kodt Defender (619) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Tables + no sunburn.

16. ChiCubs78

I spent as much time in the tent as I did walking around outside and hanging with my stage area crew. It was nice though to have a place in the shade to sit down for a few (and not on the ground). Every time the wife and I ate we would grab our food and go to our table in the tent and were able to eat sitting at a table. It was nice.

RUinOhio likes this.
  17. croush

Trader

We just set our bags down and got comfortable in the open air...and I think we all came prepared with sunscreen. :wink: We essentially used the cement as a table.

eppie82 likes this.
  18. Raffish_Gent

Raffish_Gent Initiate (34) Dec 7, 2016 Minnesota

Our group E crew got Muerte, FVM, & Chemtrail x2. Stop making the sap who got Muerte feel bad about it.

19. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,411) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I agree that was a great call on who ever decided to set up there. We piled our bags in the middle and surrounded them while sharing awesome beers. I only started losing memory once we made our way under the tent. I blame @Justweb ! :wink: j/k.

Justweb likes this.
  20. ChiCubs78

This DLD marks the first time I didn't get to try any Dark Lord on tap. I've been hearing that it's one of the best fresh Dark Lord ever. Anyone that had it please reply as I'm really curious. Normally it's diabeetus when fresh so I typically cellar mine a while before drinking it.

FFFjunkie and eppie82 like this.
  21. donovansill

donovansill Initiate (174) May 19, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Although this same "sap" in the near future gets to drink Hanjee, FVM, and Chemtrail from his lovely wife and awesome cousin so by all means make him feel bad....also based on the above post I'm part of his "crew " never been part of a crew some I'm excited now!

Raffish_Gent and ChiCubs78 like this.
  22. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,411) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I've had 14 through 17…. and yes 17 is my favorite when having fresh. 14 was smooth and is probably my second favorite, 15 was hot and 16 was entirely too sweet… this is all having fresh. 17 was actually 'balanced' for a DL in my opinion and I really enjoyed it.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  23. TastyDelicousness

Thought I might share my DLD. I have been going with my buddy @SAEmick for about 8 years now. The day starts as normal, get up before the sun and really anyone else. Grab my buddy as well as another buddy and head to Munster. Stop at White Castle because, well because why not? Get in line, crack beers. People in front of us were from Indy. Brought a killer home brew that they shared. People behind us were local from the Chitown area. They shared some great beers too. Watched someone dome about 1/3 of a bottle of No Rules just to say he did it. Enter the festival at 6 AM. Get into the cattle gates and proceed to wait and share a few more beers.

**Complaint about DLD that applies every year. People who were nowhere to be found waiting in line with us, somehow make their way to the front of line. Odd that this STILL happens as Variants this year were random. To those that do this, you suck. Period. You make it bad for other folks. Of course this is how fights happen and people end up knocked out. I've seen that at other DLD's.

Shared some beers till gates open up to the bottle sales. Enter second set of cattle gates. More beers in this line. Enter the brewery for bottle sales. Get my allotment and meet friends outside. Share more beers. Enjoyed the good weather that we had. My buddy went and got some tap pours. Enjoyed watching someone bite the dust yet again and breaking their DL bottles because they drank too much. Shared more beers. Shared some handshakes with folks we hadn't seen in a while.

Great day, good weather, smiles all around. Most important thing, sharing beers. This is what the day is all about. Show up, open beers, makes some new friends. I'll say thanks to the folks at 3F for doing a well run event. Cheers!

24. FrankenBeery

FrankenBeery Initiate (0) May 6, 2017 Indiana

I think that was a Cigar City Absolutey OK but I could be wrong. I def shared a tap with you though.

JeNSaYGooDByE likes this.
  25. TastyDelicousness

Where do I get one? I would be down for this for sure.

26. YoDudeguy

YoDudeguy Initiate (0) May 5, 2015 Illinois

I got a pour of 17 on tap and was really glad that I did. It is a lot more coffee forward, less sweet but still sweet... it was a lot more balanced fresh than previous years I've tried. I was really excited when I took my first sip.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  27. FrankenBeery

FrankenBeery Initiate (0) May 6, 2017 Indiana

The all day sun definitely sucked some life out of me as the day progressed. Still better than bad weather though.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  28. Quilentro

Quilentro Disciple (324) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

My friends picked up together, and were immediately crestfallen. They both got the same variant! They were sad. They didn't know what a handjee was. Some guy tried to give them $200 for one on the spot, which they felt bad about and were confused by. So they just did a straight trade for Ronaldo.

29. Dactrius

Dactrius Poo-Bah (1,612) Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

In general I agree with your post with the exception of this part. I certainly put in far more than "a little effort" to try and trade 4 vintage + 2 2017 DL for any variant. My wife had to convince me to just give up after I spent far too long trying to make it happen. I certainly heard of some people lucking out and trading 2 vintage for a variant but I don't think that was the norm. If you're unlucky enough to both get variants it's safe to assume you might not be lucky enough to find that rare individual willing to trade their variant away.

30. MasterPenguins

MasterPenguins Initiate (0) May 16, 2014 Indiana

This is the same for me. Noreally I go straight to the FFF tap and get DL as soon as the gates open, but this year Ronaldo was on so I got that of course. Never made it back to the FFF tap. I was thinking of maybe opening a bottle this week because of that.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  31. SAEmick

SAEmick Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2010 Illinois

Man, this is so true! not only for DL, but should be an all-fest and life motto

Count me in for 1... I think that tops my
    "Good Game
    Good Game
    Good Game
    F*ck You
    Good Game"

shirt!

JoeSpartan22 and ChiCubs78 like this.
  32. ChiCubs78

My only gripe about DLD was the "Designated Group A Line." At about 10 minutes til the gates opened my wife and I head towards the Group A sign in the staging area. We, as well as hundreds of others, are all trying to just find this line amiss the crowd of people waiting to enter through the gate. We finally make our way into the snaking Group A line corral and 9am hits. People start flooding into the fest as we are snaking through the corral. As we get to the end of the corral where the line was supposed to keep winding we see workers removing the metal railings in front of us. The group A line became part of the regular gate line. We ended up getting in the Group A allotment line after Group A people that didn't get in the group A line in the staging area.
    #RememberTheNorth

Ohiou84 likes this.
  33. ChiCubs78

I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

34. mdomask

mdomask Initiate (0) May 27, 2012 Illinois

Isn't that pretty much every beer fest/release, though?

35. -TK421-

-TK421- Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2016 Florida

yea! that him. not sure if i met you too as i was with him most of the time except while i was going through the line during Group C. i had a pipeworks shirt on.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  36. TastyDelicousness

Yeah it is. So sad that grown folk act like small children. I guess I post this again and again hoping something changes... :rolling_eyes:

here4thebeer11 and mdomask like this.
  37. ChiCubs78

I will say that the staging area idea was a very good idea. We got there at 715am and there was no line to get into the staging area. There started to be a line entering the staging area closer to 8am but it was moving through fast. It helped that they were doing ID checks outside of the staging area in the line. As about 830am approached the line became very long and wrapped around the corner onto Valparaiso (correct street name?). Even then it was moving quite smoothly. When we got into the staging area around 845am there was still room for more people in there.

38. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (426) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

By far one of the best parts of this year's Dark Lord Day is that some of you dingleberries wore shirts that said Abortion on them and didn't care what the other 9,974 people who don't post on BeerAdvocate thought of you.

39. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (306) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

A few reasons I think, most are table related...

1) Lots of room for opened bottles

2) seats

3) If you put your bag underneath, the thieves are really easy to spot.

4) It was centrally located. 2 tap trucks, lots of food and the fecal barrels were close.

That said, it got really crowded, especially with all of the dead bottles. I tried to clear off our table a bit, but it was a lost cause. There was tons of room by the stage and the holding pen.

40. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Defender (635) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

@midmichmatt Why am I just now hearing about this iced cream?!

Jmorey and Dactrius like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.