Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

Great. Now I'm embarrassed.

FrankenBeery, croush and -TK421- like this.
  2. dwduncan2

dwduncan2 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2012 Illinois

Chemtrail was actually my top choice after handjee for variants. Ended up getting Ronaldo. As I left the brewpub with my bottle some dude was buying bottles and asked if I wanted to sell my Ronaldo. After I said no he asked if I would trade for a chemtrail mix. Did the swap immediately, and I'm super glad I did. Here's to temeculan 3000 making flippers wary of cinnamon variants this year!

Also, cracked my temeculan with several others during DLD. Everyone agreed it was very tasty. Not sure what all the hate was. I didn't think it was overly heavy on the cardamom personally.

3. croush

croush Crusader (790) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, I figured the tables were key...I just really wanted to bask in the good weather. But, I did wonder if in the future they could put some more picnic tables in other areas, especially since there was so much room at the north and south parts of the fest (although I admittedly never went further north than the cattle gates for the bottle pickup). I'm guessing this isn't a "problem" they're used to having with the good weather!

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  4. Dactrius

Dactrius Poo-Bah (1,612) Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

I was impressed with the quantity of DL available on tap this year, by far the most I've seen it available. I always make sure to have a pour of the new one; it is the reason for the season after all.

donovansill likes this.
  5. donovansill

donovansill Initiate (174) May 19, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Don't be! anyone who attends a release for a beer named Dark Lord that doubles as a death metal concert should probably leave their more delicate sensibilities at home especially when they get in line praying to get a Hanjee......certainly no place to cry about a shirt suggesting mythical creatures lives being terminated prematurely. Just my meaningless opinion.

6. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (359) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

I popped mine as well. It was definitely one of my least favorite variants, but no where near as bad as had made it out to be. I did think the cardamom was a bit much. Had there been a stronger cinnamon presence to balance it out, I think it would have been closer to Chemtrail.

7. ChiCubs78

I sincerely appreciate your response and opinion. I was however being a smartass. I'm by no means embarrassed.

8. kodt

kodt Defender (619) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

It was him, another guy, and a girl.

I had a Local Option shirt on. Not sure what I shared with you guys, but we had a table with a bunch of stuff open.

9. donovansill

Trader

For what it's worth I did get that as I saw your initial response before it got deleted or replaced but still felt like chiming in.

Cheers

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  10. ChiCubs78

Much appreciated. Cheers good sir.

donovansill likes this.
  11. EamonTheGreat

EamonTheGreat Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2014 Indiana

Given how good this year's regular Dark Lord is... Can we all just take a moment to appreciate how good the variants will be next year? mmmmmmmm:rolling_eyes:

12. croush

croush Crusader (790) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I normally wouldn't have any plans to open up one of my bottles of Dark Lord yet, but since I didn't get to taste it Saturday (I don't think) and everyone is raving about it, I may have to crack one open in the next month or so.

13. lloydboss

lloydboss Initiate (0) May 9, 2014 Illinois

Does anyone know if any of the Dark Matter merch or coffee's were left at the end of DLD? Been keeping an eye out on their website in case any pop up as available, but I don't know if I'm getting my hopes up for no reason....

14. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (912) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I thought they said they would distribute any leftovers to their physical locations.

15. Dactrius

Dactrius Poo-Bah (1,612) Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

I was told they were sold out of coffee bombers at DLD so I wouldn't anticipate any of those to make it. No idea on the rest of the merch.

16. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (147) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois

Give it a week or so. I would sign up for their newsletter. You'll know as soon as the left over merch goes on sale on their website.

lloydboss likes this.
  17. mdomask

mdomask Initiate (0) May 27, 2012 Illinois

Well, random means that the people who shoved their way to the front got 0 benefit, aside from maybe first crack at the coffee line. Considering I walked up around 7pm and got stuff with no line, not sure that's really a benefit.

TastyDelicousness and eppie82 like this.
  18. Satch44

Satch44 Initiate (57) Sep 1, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I think that may have been my GF and me. I think someone from your group opened us up a Rye Hipster.

kodt likes this.
  19. donovansill

Trader

With how long the Dark Matter line was all day I was shocked to still get a couple bottles and a mug around 2 or 3ish? When you start drinking at 7am, couldn't say no to things like Assassin, FF, Mexican Coffee (exceptionally generous people around me in line!) time becomes a bit tough to nail down.

20. lloydboss

lloydboss Initiate (0) May 9, 2014 Illinois

thanks, been signed up for a while & wasn't sure if it was a soft release of leftovers or if they would broadcast it widely. appreciate it!

21. RUinOhio

RUinOhio Initiate (105) Nov 12, 2014 Ohio

I forgot to say the highlight of my weekend was meeting Chad who brews his own (lil beaver), at 350. Gave me a bottle for no reason and got a pour on Saturday. Fantastic stuff. I know he's on here, thanks once again!

Also thanks to whomever recommended Hailstorm. Great place. And I know @ChiCubs78 helped too so Much appreciated , made Friday a great time.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  22. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (426) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

LOL, "METAL MUSIC SUCKS AND EVERYONE HATES IT! Lets make fun of it by making up an offensive metal band name and then wearing it on t-shirts!!"

"Kind of a bummer you guys went with Abortion for a t-shirt"

"HEY LAY OFF THIS IS A METAL CONCERT!!"

jenna_4 and PhilBallins like this.
  23. EamonTheGreat

EamonTheGreat Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2014 Indiana

I was able to try Lil Beaver stuff too Friday night at the Hampton. Soooo good. I would put his beers up there as some of the best I had all weekend.

24. macewank

macewank Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

Thanks for the Hoof! (I was the guy with Chad at 350)

RUinOhio likes this.
  25. RUinOhio

RUinOhio Initiate (105) Nov 12, 2014 Ohio

Of course! Glad I threw a few in the car. Good to meet you guys. I was actually a bit surprised at how many people didn't know Hoof and a couple dudes turned me down for pours (not whale enough I guess from their reaction lol).

26. donovansill

Trader

I never said anything negative about metal music it isn't something I personally seek out but I'll take it over country every moment of my life! More power to you if your a fan I truly hope you enjoyed that aspect of the day. My point was just overall between the beer and the music not the crowd to get offended by a T-shirt, I'm guessing the guys from Goatwhore wouldn't care.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  27. CurtisLoew

CurtisLoew Initiate (190) Jun 18, 2010 Wisconsin

I had never tasted dark lord before the fest. Shortly after entering I was able to get both 2016 and 2017 and try them side by side. My wife and I both found 2016 to taste like my homebrew wort pre-fermentation. Just a sweet sickly mess. 2017 by comparison was delicious. Much more balanced and easy to drink. It also had a lot more carbonation which I think helped a lot. I thought 2017 was a great beer, I hope it's as good from the bottle as it was on tap.

FFFjunkie likes this.
  28. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (912) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I was sad to see FFF go all paper labels for the variants. I liked the painted on designs better....

29. macewank

macewank Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

You'll find that Dark Lord is a beer that varies wildly, not only from year to year, but also bottle to bottle.

30. Bugsmcl

Bugsmcl Initiate (196) May 2, 2016 Ohio

I would like to let everyone know that I had not 1 not 2 but 3 different people a tually believe me when I told them dragon abortion was a real band. One woman even asked for a pic so she could listen to them later.

reedmo, donovansill and ChiCubs78 like this.
  31. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (306) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

At least they didn't do that last year. All of them would have disintegrated in the rain and no one would know what the hell they got.

Sabtos and HouseofWortship like this.
  32. kodt

kodt Defender (619) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah that was us.

33. Bugsmcl

Bugsmcl Initiate (196) May 2, 2016 Ohio

My paper label on legio gemina got fucked last year.

Sabtos likes this.
  34. Raffish_Gent

Raffish_Gent Initiate (34) Dec 7, 2016 Minnesota

I can think of nothing less metal than getting offended by a T-shirt or complaining about variants.

Ah crap...

donovansill and ChiCubs78 like this.
  35. YoDudeguy

YoDudeguy Initiate (0) May 5, 2015 Illinois

Let's all go ahead and clear the air - that Dark Matter line was completely ridiculous, moved insanely slow and their coffee is overpriced as hell. My wife wanted stuff, so we got a mug and a couple Black Holes and the galaxy one, but good lord that line.

36. ChiCubs78

That line is ridiculous every year. I was forced into it as my wife wanted some stuff from them. I thought it moved faster than it did last year, although that isn't saying much. What save it for me was running into a friend and his wife in line and sharing good beers the time we were there.

37. JeNSaYGooDByE

JeNSaYGooDByE Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2014 Illinois

I have the "Wish Dark Lord Wasn't Over" blues today. Having to wait a full year for its amazingness seems daunting.

Born_A_Jee, JoeSpartan22, prg and 5 others like this.
  38. MasterPenguins

MasterPenguins Initiate (0) May 16, 2014 Indiana

I had to score me some over priced snifters!

YoDudeguy, croush and ChiCubs78 like this.
  39. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,469) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Exactly, these^^^ I was really looking forward to them going back to all glass/silkscreen or whatever that is called, after the debacle of soggy labels last year. They always have cool new designs and last year's paperless labels were awesome. Oh well, they killed us with vanilla this year and I'm loving it!

I never understood the DM line, but hey I kind of like it, keeps that horde away from the rest of the fest for a good 3 hours! It is crazy how they basically need a whole entire alley to themselves. I walked up twice maybe after noon and got nitro Blood Lord a few times with no wait. Oh and also they still had the snifters @MasterPenguins :wink:

So much this!

MasterPenguins and ChiCubs78 like this.
  40. ChiCubs78

Soon it will also be the "Wish Darklord Day 2017 Thread Wasn't Over" blues.

prg, Narthax, RUinOhio and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.