Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Disciple (334) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I fully planned on getting my Group A allotment, then walking right over to the Dark Matter line. As I walked out of the brewery, the line looked like it was 250+ people deep - I just laughed and kept walking. I already did enough standing around waiting in lines

2. JeNSaYGooDByE

JeNSaYGooDByE Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2014 Illinois

What are you going to do with all that extra free time? :wink:

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  3. YoDudeguy

YoDudeguy Initiate (0) May 5, 2015 Illinois

Last year I was group A, we went straight for our allotment then to the Dark Matter tent and waited about 20 minutes total. This year blew my mind and left a terrible taste in my mouth.

4. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (913) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

He'll be live tweeting Chicago Craft Beer Week.

prg, ChiCubs78 and JeNSaYGooDByE like this.
  5. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

The line or the coffee?

YoDudeguy likes this.
  6. ChiCubs78

Increase workplace productivity I suppose.

JeNSaYGooDByE likes this.
  7. ChiCubs78

Was just thinking...I believe I met @Narthax at DLD as well.

8. Narthax

Narthax Crusader (741) Mar 23, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Sure did. It was early in the festival so I remembered it pretty well. For some reason later memories are less clear...

ChiCubs78 and donovansill like this.
  9. FrankenBeery

FrankenBeery Initiate (0) May 6, 2017 Indiana

Someone around us (maybe you if you were near the BA share people) popped open and shared the Temeculan. I thougt it was tasty, so did gf.

YoDudeguy likes this.
  10. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,481) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Anyone else get the lanyard tat?

[​IMG]

11. midmichmatt

midmichmatt Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2015 Michigan

that's crazy!
    how much was it?

PrestigeWorldwide likes this.
  12. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (147) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois

$6.

13. MasterPenguins

MasterPenguins Initiate (0) May 16, 2014 Indiana

I just couldn't run the risk of missing out on those beautiful green little bastards! :grinning:

In all seriousness though, I don't mind waiting in that line. I gives me a bit of time to breath after slamming beers for 3 hours before the fest, then the immediate trip to the FFF tap and Guest tap. That is exactly what I need at that point in the day.

Sabtos likes this.
  14. donovansill

donovansill Initiate (174) May 19, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Posting photos is beyond me but I ended up with a pretty nice wristband one.....

Sabtos likes this.
  15. Al_Fresco

Al_Fresco Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2015 Wisconsin

We checked out the DM tent around 6:30. The line was only a few people deep at that point, and they still had mugs, snifters, and coffee beans available.

rabbott2 likes this.
  16. MasterPenguins

MasterPenguins Initiate (0) May 16, 2014 Indiana

So I couldn't handle waiting any longer, and I opened my first bottle of 2017 Dark Lord to see if this is as good a year as everyone is saying....well it is easily the best it has been since 2011, IMO at least. This really is a great year! So you can take that for what it is worth, @ChiCubs78

17. prg

prg Initiate (47) Apr 13, 2016 Indiana

I wish it were easier to post pics, my wife has v shaped racing stripe tan lines on her cleavage from where the lanyard was a little inside her shirt.

ChiCubs78 and Sabtos like this.
  18. not2quick

not2quick Defender (602) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I can give you a step by step tutorial? :wink:

ChiCubs78, prg, croush and 1 other person like this.
  19. AlexHouston

AlexHouston Initiate (101) May 19, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Since you asked.

"Sometimes when you gaze into the abyss, it gazes back into you."
    [​IMG]

Also, giving fences a hug is harder than it looks.

[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG]

jkwuc89, core42, ChiCubs78 and 4 others like this.
  20. dbresson

dbresson Initiate (102) Nov 25, 2007 Illinois

Yep, I had it on tap from the Guest Taps by what used to be the grassy knoll. It's from Burn 'Em Brewing. Was an interesting brew - lots going on in that sucker. I shared it with a woman sitting next to me in the big tent - she said it tasted like medicine, but I thought it was alright.

21. JakeT469

JakeT469 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

Man, whoever is giving up the CT for the wife is losing out on that deal big time.

#7821 JakeT469, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  22. dbresson

Brutal

23. cd34

cd34 Zealot (529) May 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Haven't tried this years Dark lord but it is interesting that everyone is saying it's The best in year right after Todd Haug joined FFF.

MasterPenguins likes this.
  24. JoeSpartan22

JoeSpartan22 Initiate (50) Apr 23, 2017 Illinois

Interesting thought. Do you (or anyone) remember exactly when he joined? Was it around June 2016?

25. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (238) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

#7825 SudsSavant, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    JoeSpartan22 and donovansill like this.
  26. Jinx989

Jinx989 Zealot (547) Apr 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

I believe it was late October/early November maybe a little later

27. galos11

galos11 Devotee (453) Jan 21, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Lanyard tat is definitely there. It's the mark of Dark Lord!

eppie82 and Sabtos like this.
  28. aljordan

aljordan Initiate (0) May 2, 2006 Indiana

I was just east of you guys. I don't remember what I was pouring, but I had a Red Sox hat with red sunglasses. I an poured an 08 DL in the B line and I think I started pouring the 09 at some point. I lost track..

29. dbresson

As an aside, are the 08/09 DL still good? I have plenty of each still, but I have a buddy that keeps telling me they probably aren't good anymore (too old) and I haven't tried one from those batches in several years.

30. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (382) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

They're fine. Did a 10 year vert last year, and only 06 was starting to taste not that great. The others were surprisingly drinkable/good.

I'd drink them sooner rather than later though.

31. gibson584

gibson584 Initiate (114) Dec 11, 2010 Kentucky
    Trader

You can definitely age the big stouts for a long time as long as they're treated properly. We opened a 2010 Stone RIS at the fest this year and it was excellent.

32. JJ_17

JJ_17 Initiate (179) Apr 22, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

The confusing part was it didn't really seem like there was a group A line in the staging area. I saw the sign but when 9 AM hit, there was just a funnel of people that all tried to make their way into the fest. Wasn't really a big deal but didn't make sense to me.

I had a great fest but I spent way too much time hovering the tap lines by the brewery for Handjee. I have never actually gotten a pour of my own, but have some nice friends that would share their pours in past years. I did get a pour of Ronaldo, and man, that stuff is super sweet.

I thought for sure that I would be one to get the vintage but I lucked out. Sorry to all you folks that weren't as lucky.

What a great day for DLD! Let's do that again.

Sabtos and FFFjunkie like this.
  33. ChiCubs78

34. Jbuitron

Jbuitron Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2015 Illinois

My DLD was awesome! My buddy and I got dropped off around 8:45ish but the line was moving. Did a few shares in the line. Got in around 9ish. Took a few photos as we walked through the staging area and came up with a great plan to walk the entire grounds first before we decide what to do. Our plan was thwarted from the beginning as we decided to cut through the tent area. We could help but partake in the sharing and there we were all day until we went to line up for group C around 12:15. At that point my memory is really hazy but I got Chem and my buddy Muerte. We did A lot of sharing in the pickup line and even saw a scuffle over some guy making comments about diabetes. We immediately went back to the share tent and at some point I was smart enough to call for a pick up around 4ish. The shares were incredible but next year I will have to try some taps, check out the merchandise (dark matter was way too long) and try and listen to the bands. One of the top beer experiences of my life! I cannot saint u till next year!

Sabtos and ChiCubs78 like this.
  35. ChiCubs78

Diabeetus fights...only at DLD.

36. ChiCubs78

Yeah, I'm trying to remember where at tho.

37. donovansill

Trader

Yeah my brother and I got in almost right away at 6:20 or so and other than the people who made it into the corral there was really no semblance of a line. Would have been a nightmare if it wasn't for the change to random totes. On the plus side got some great pours from people surrounding me in the non line.

38. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

I personally am not a metal fan or bath salts for that matter. I'm still not going to shit on those who like to abuse bath salts, to each their own. However, for those who hate all Country music, wtf is wrong with you? :confused:

I will say Goat Whore's encore where the lyrics were something along the lines of RAAAA ra RAH ra Rah BWAHHH Rahhhh BWAHHH Ra RAAAAAAAH was amazing. I couldn't get the song out of my head, it's just on repeat.

Vitamin_Hop and zach60614 like this.
  39. donovansill

Trader

Glad you like country music I'm definitely not trying to "shit" on you I just personally hate it, as to wtf is wrong with me probably lots of things but my musical preference isn't one of them.

kidzord, Sabtos, JakeT469 and 2 others like this.
  40. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (221) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

If it was BA Moloka with Vanilla it kicked 5 people in front of me. The 2nd from the last guy double fisted. WTF? They replaced it with DL Muerte though and that was very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.