Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,967) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

The last 2 times I went to Floyds the food was way better than the beer. I've never had a bad meal there.

Kejbeer, ChiCubs78 and Sabtos like this.
  2. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,538) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Seems like they kind of piled up, 16 on Untappd? I never trust that thing.

3. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

I don't even bother with untapped anymore. I haven't for a while. Almost everyone that I know that uses it only puts beers into it to increase their numbers. Most of them put the ratings in the next day because they drank too much that night/day. There's no way those ratings are even close, especially on beers consumed towards the end of a share.

#7883 ChiCubs78, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    JoeSpartan22 and Sabtos like this.
  4. kingjohnh

kingjohnh Defender (610) Nov 3, 2009 New Mexico

I may have missed this in the 197 pages of this thread that I did not read, but will Dark matter being selling snifters online again this year as they did last year, even though last year they said they wouldn't be doing this?

5. RUinOhio

RUinOhio Initiate (105) Nov 12, 2014 Ohio

true....I rated about 15 at DLD, and took pics of the rest added them yesterday with no ratings... maybe 2 exceptions on beers that REALLY stood out. No way I can accurately rate beers trying so many.

JoeSpartan22 likes this.
  6. HawkeyeBeerLover

HawkeyeBeerLover Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015 Wisconsin

Hence why I check it in without a rating. Especially if you're only getting an ounce or two. Untappd can be fun to keep track of beers you've had, but I take ratings with a grain of salt. Hype definitely ups the value on some stuff by .5 to even a full point.

CityFarmer, JakeT469, eppie82 and 5 others like this.
  7. JoeSpartan22

JoeSpartan22 Initiate (56) Apr 23, 2017 Illinois

I use it primarily to keep track of what I'm drinking, take a couple notes, and see if I've had certain beers before. But yeah the ratings aren't the best. I guess I'm part of the problem here cuz if I give something a 3.5 it's usually just ok, 4 is good, 4.5 great and 5 is super double-secret whalez bro awesome. Should probably rethink this system... and my life.

8. -TK421-

-TK421- Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2016 Florida

i like debating about Untappd as so many people use it differently.

i still use it as a way to log what i've had, when and where and do my best to check in everything as i'm drinking it (it really doesn't take long to do it). however, i never rate anything. personally i just don't get the point of rating beers. really, wtf is the difference between a 4.25 and a 4.5?! i think that's so subjective that in the end it's pointless. the best compliment i could give a beer is actually repeating the experience. and i get not all beer is as accessible as others, but if you've tried a beer 10+ times, you have to like it because if not why drink it that much?

one friend checks everything in, but only once. and he rates everything. i've asked why only once and never gives a straight answer. i think he may just want to hide how much he drinks lol.

another checks in everything, but in huge waves. like 30 at a time. we don't live in the same city so i'll ask "hey when did you try that?" and he'll be like "oh 3 weeks ago".

and then there's the one that always reviews them. which is very helpful, more so than a silly star rating, but that must be so time consuming.

apologies for the rant, but i'm curious as to how those that still use it go about it.

9. NicholasL

NicholasL Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2015 Illinois

I'd be interested to hear the verdict on this, between you and your brothers. Keep us posted when you guys bust it open.

10. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (147) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois

They most likely will. Keep checking their social media pages and you'll know when they go on sale on their website. Cheers!

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  11. notnas

notnas Initiate (0) May 15, 2017 Indiana

I've used Untappd for years to keep track of good beers I've had, but now I'm using it more for the wishlist notification function. Especially after all of the great stuff I tried at DLD.... I wasn't sober enough, nor had enough of a pour to judge it, but it's nice to have Untappd let me know if it just happens to pop up at a bar nearby...

FrankenBeery likes this.
  12. MaddieMason

MaddieMason Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2017 Kentucky

I rate on Untappd by how the beer is compared to other similar beers. So for example I gave Yuengling a 4.5 and Dark Lord a 4, even though I obviously consider Dark Lord the better overall beer. Yuengling is one of the best for me in the style and Dark Lord is a tad less.

Otherwise the only beers that would get high ratings would be IPA's stouts and sours, and that's not fair because there are lots of great styles of beer.

HotSelma, Cannonball and ChiCubs78 like this.
  13. NNN

NNN Initiate (105) Feb 9, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Untapped is like an other game on your phone. A slot machine with shiny digital objects you get for participating. I know I'm cynical, but that's their game.

CannedWaggoneer and ChiCubs78 like this.
  14. Kejbeer

Kejbeer Initiate (0) May 21, 2016 Indiana

Are we going to get to 200 pages, or what?

ChiCubs78 and EamonTheGreat like this.
  15. EamonTheGreat

EamonTheGreat Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2014 Indiana

Well if you'd post your DLD-Aftermath video I'm sure that would get us about another page.

16. Bugsmcl

Bugsmcl Initiate (196) May 2, 2016 Ohio

We only need another 107 posts.

17. mrtomatohead49

mrtomatohead49 Disciple (343) Apr 9, 2013 Georgia
    Trader

Push to 200 time/Im too lazy to browse through recent posts.

Did anyone actually try Dia Oscuro this year that wants to give a flavor breakdown?

kiwifuz likes this.
  18. EamonTheGreat

So has ChemTrailMix surpassed FVM as the number 2 variant this year?

JFresh21 likes this.
  19. croush

croush Champion (800) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Not according to Untappd! :flushed::wink:

20. Sabtos

Society Trader

Not in my books, but one person said "Cinnamon Toast Crunch" one time and the internet blew up.

It was good, I liked it a lot personally, not more so than other variants though, except for Biggleswade and Temeculan. Funny thing, my lady who actually liked Temeculan, said it wasn't that much better than Temeculan.

So much of what's described here is why I don't even believe 10% of the people that have rated Oscuro on Untappd have even tried it.

21. EamonTheGreat

I had ChemTrailMix on tap and it was great... I don't think better than last year's FVM, but I haven't had this year's FVM, or heard what people think since putting it in the new muscat barrels.

Also, can we talk about how dissapointing it was that FVM or Handjee never went on tap. Sad.... I think I got a pour or a sip of atleast every tapped variant, and stayed until the end of the night waiting on Handjee.:slight_frown:

Sabtos and ChiCubs78 like this.
  22. Bugsmcl

I had this years FVM right before drinking Chemtrail and I will say they are about equally tasty. FVM was probably a little better but barely. As far as this year to last years the guy that opened his FVM in our group said he had last years and preferred this years. I have not been blessed enough to have had any 2016 FVM

EamonTheGreat and Sabtos like this.
  23. Sabtos

Society Trader

I do think it's sad they didn't go on tap--I met multiple people that literally hung out by the tap lines all day in hopes of getting some of the vanilla taps. SAD! I couldn't help but ask every time I walked by "anything good yet?!" BUT -- I think the large quantity of bottled vanillas makes up for it!

I've heard a couple people that already opened their '17 FVM that they liked it even better than the previous year. I'm planning to open mine within the next 1-2 months. One is in the fridge now, I don't want it to develop at all. Maybe I'll let the other cellar, who knows.

Ohiou84 and ChiCubs78 like this.
  24. MaddieMason

When do you guys plan on drinking your variants? I have FVM and Bourbon Barrel. Not sure when to pop what, but I'll probably drink/share 1 soon and 1 at the end of summer.

25. Sabtos

Society Trader

Would love to share that BADL with ya :wink:

26. ChiCubs78

I'll probably end up cellaring my FVM for a while. I'll definitely be cellaring my BBADL along with my 15 and 16 BBADL's.
    #Vertical

Sabtos likes this.
  27. Sabtos

Society Trader

By the way, are there really still that many Vanilla Ryes out in the wild?! I mean Jesus H every other trade request I see for a DL variant is for VR.

EamonTheGreat likes this.
  28. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (926) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

It's Inbev. You figure 1 bottle for every case of Budweiser out there.

Sabtos likes this.
  29. donovansill

donovansill Initiate (174) May 19, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Wow I had no idea people put so much thought into how to use Untappd, always interesting to hear others thoughts on how best to utilize a product/tool. I honestly use it to keep track of what I've had and how I feel about it, in a perfect world I'll give at least a brief review for future reference but sometimes that doesn't happen so a rating at least gives me an idea of how I felt about it in general.

This is probably a clear sign of the fact I drink too much but I can't tell you how many times I've been at a liquor store or out somewhere and checked to see if I've had a certain beer only to find I've had it and didn't really enjoy it thus saving myself.

Also has allowed me to check and see what others who's opinion I respect thought of a beer before making a purchase on multiple occasions.

So that's my rant on Untappd and one post closer to 200!

30. ChiCubs78

There were a lot of VR made in 2014. I remember constantly passing on it in favor of the Prop that year. 2014 BCBS Prop is my all time favorite beer so I'm glad I did. I've never been big on vanilla. If I had known what the VR would bring in trades I'd have grabbed a couple.

Sabtos likes this.
  31. Bugsmcl

What varient did you get? I'm looking to do a big share for them and you're not far from me from what recall.

32. Sabtos

Society Trader

FVM, and FVM :stuck_out_tongue:

reedmo and ChiCubs78 like this.
  33. Bugsmcl

Damn I was hopeing you had a bourbon. We have a FVM hanjee Ronaldo and BAA in the lineup as of now.

the_ceeeeg and Sabtos like this.
  34. MaddieMason

I'm in Cincy, a bit east...

Sabtos likes this.
  35. jmaloney613

jmaloney613 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2012 Illinois

Do the variants ever get out in the wild on tap at other festivals or beer bars? I did the opposite of what I planned and didn't have a single tap.

36. YoungLad

YoungLad Initiate (142) Apr 27, 2009 Indiana

No Untappd for this fella. I'm definitely in the camp that no one needs to know where, when, and how much I'm drinking, especially if (just saying for this conversation) I'm out at a pub, and I check in 4 or 5 beers over the course of a two to three hour window, but mix in a water every now and again. I would bet that technically I would legally not be "intoxicated" in this scenario, but if there was a wreck on the way home, and any interested party could pretty much just go to Untappd and just see what it is exactly that I've been doing? Would only complicate the situation.

Big Beer Brother is watching.

I had a great DLD, all in all, and have to say, that in my memory, only 2006 was close to it weather wise. I, too, have the mark of the Dark Lord on the back of my neck, but the better half and I walked out with a FVM and a Ronaldo, and had a great time sharing before and during, so no complaints. I enjoyed standing at the end of the guest tap chutes talking with friends, listening to PowerMad, and waiting for the lulls in the guest tap line when I could just walk in the out-chute from the guest taps. Cracked me up - everyone wanted to stop at the first one or two servers, and never made it the end. The tender down there was appreciative of the attention me and my crew paid her, because she pretty much just stood there over half the time.

Sabtos likes this.
  37. Dactrius

Dactrius Poo-Bah (1,637) Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Variants get tapped at other events on very rare occasions I believe, but I wouldn't expect it. I remember bourbon definitely, and maybe vanilla making it to GTMW a couple times a number of years ago. FFF runs their booth so poorly there (and it's obviously very popular) so I've sworn off ever waiting in their line again and haven't paid much attention in recent years. The line is stupid long and poorly run even for regular DL.

38. 1Unicorn

1Unicorn Initiate (43) Apr 29, 2016 Michigan

Darklord and Ronaldo were 5 oz pours for $7 ea.

39. 1Unicorn

1Unicorn Initiate (43) Apr 29, 2016 Michigan

Forgot to mention that theY had 2016 Darklord on tap around 2 pm at FFF

40. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (926) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Shady. 100s of people in line at DLD trying to get Ronaldo when it kicks and now its on draft at the pub?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.