Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bugsmcl

Bugsmcl Initiate (196) May 2, 2016 Ohio

Did anyone actually ever decide if we are pro or against the dragon abortions??

2. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (5,025) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Dragons scare me. I would prefer they abort.

prg likes this.
  3. Bugsmcl

We made it!!!! 200!!!!

Narthax, ChiCubs78, SourTweek and 2 others like this.
  4. not2quick

not2quick Defender (610) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

All this talk of abortion is making me thirsty.

ChiCubs78 and notnas like this.
  5. JJ_17

JJ_17 Initiate (188) Apr 22, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

I did learn my lesson to never ever walk away and trust anyone with your DL. I put my beer on the picnic table we were sharing at. I said please watch my beer, I want to check the guest taps. Guard it with your life. I come back to the picnic table like 5 mins later and everyone is walking away from the table. I asked my friend where my DL bag was and she said, I don't know. I freaked out for about 5 mins until one person says, oh I think Anthony snagged it. I called him and he in fact split off from the group and grabbed my DL. I think they were messing with me but they were drunk, so I don't know. I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!

Vitamin_Hop likes this.
  6. prg

prg Initiate (47) Apr 13, 2016 Indiana

I recommend 2017 darklord, it quenched my thirst nicely today.... although I now have the hiccups. I blame my buddies hb.

FrankenBeery and Sabtos like this.
  7. bmr29

bmr29 Initiate (56) Apr 30, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

That Pizza Port collab was one of the highlights of the day. Totally flew under the radar.

I regret not standing in line for BA Vanilla Moloko. Oh well. Line was pretty long at that point.

myersk27 and axf4129 like this.
  8. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Ohio

I'll be hosting a bottle share In Columbus, OH this summer to help raise funds for my Pelotonia.org bike ride (all proceeds go to cancer research). During the night, if I reach certain fundraising goals, I'll open a different variant to share.

JJR62, eppie82 and Bugsmcl like this.
  9. DMorgan24

DMorgan24 Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2016 Canada (MB)

Yes! @prg Dragon Abortion homebrew was awesome! The bourbon was so nice and mellow against the thinner malt backbone! I was the Canadian guy pouring CDN beers and talking homebrew with you both mid-afternoon just outside the tent. Cheers!

FrankenBeery likes this.
  10. Coel

Coel Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

I use it primarily s a check list, i try to rate but only when I am sober enough and usually stick just half star increments because then its more like an out 10 scale. I am trying to get better about leaving notes mostly for myself if I encounter a beer again. Sometimes its as simple as "stay away" or "just order it"

11. FrankenBeery

FrankenBeery Initiate (0) May 6, 2017 Indiana

It was nice to meet you. Hope you travels home went well! Cheers!

12. notnas

notnas Initiate (0) May 15, 2017 Indiana

Had a friend text me from 3F that they had Muerte on tonight. He ordered a DL2017 first (why???) and the Muerte kicked before he got to try it. I was halfway out the door to go have one with him.... Might just swing by tomorrow after work and see if Chemtrail or one of the vanillas shows up.

13. FrankenBeery

FrankenBeery Initiate (0) May 6, 2017 Indiana

Yeah I try to always put the location I bought/drank the beer at when I check in, figuring it'll help out anyone else looking for any specific thing.

scola21 likes this.
  14. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (382) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

My experience has been that a variant share is difficult.

It's like doing a bruery share. The beers are so sweet, you're better off drinking one, or maybe 2, and then setting it up to do the same again.

donovansill likes this.
  15. donovansill

donovansill Initiate (174) May 19, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

You sir have a good point!

That being said I'd love to set up a series of shares in the Twin Cities one maybe two variants per share.........

16. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

As the wife and I were walking out of the allotment pick-up I noticed the guy in front of me strolling along and holding on to the tote with one hand as it was swinging a bit. I promptly told him to be careful and to carry the tote with at least one hand underneath it. He kinda looked at me like it's no big deal. I held my tote up in front of him, tugged on the strap just a bit, and sure as sh*t it made a slight tearing sound. He promptly proceeded to cradle his tote like a newborn.

Born_A_Jee, reedmo and JoeSpartan22 like this.
  17. Bugsmcl

Welcome to page 200 I figured of all people you would have been waiting for this.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  18. the_ceeeeg

the_ceeeeg Initiate (24) May 10, 2016 Illinois

What were the best beers everyone got on tap? I was lucky to find 2014 Dark Lord and BA Behemoth.

YoDudeguy likes this.
  19. ChiCubs78

It was never a goal of mine to hit 200, but it is pretty darn cool that we did. I was just hoping to see the thread do a little better than last year's. It's obviously gone far past that.
    I must say...DLD MMXVII...thank you. FFF (3F) may have went about changing things the wrong way but in the end the decisions they made worked out for the best. Any complaint I may have had was miniscule in comparison to how massive and well run DLD was this year. The weather was great, the food was great, the lines were small and moved fast (except for Dark Matter...but that's on them), and the people as a whole were very cool to one another.
    And for this thread...
    This thread started back in October, nearly eight months ago. Eight months of speculation, senseless arguments, unfounded rumors, epic trolling, small bits of useful information, everchanging weather forecasts, and a massive amount of jibberish and tomfoolery. This thread has been a blast and has become an epic sh*tshow in and of itself.

dman127, reedmo, JoeSpartan22 and 7 others like this.
  20. JeNSaYGooDByE

JeNSaYGooDByE Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2014 Illinois

We can bring our ChemTrailMix and another Muerte.

Catizone and JJR62 like this.
  21. PolloVagabundo

PolloVagabundo Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2013 Indiana

Great Event, Nice job 3Floyds - Can't wait for next year! (page 200, whooo hooo!!!!! )

Sabtos likes this.
  22. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,540) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Holy shit, October?! It's been that long?!

Hopefully no surprise announcements for next year so we'll be able to get a little rest before the next thread pops up, lmfao!

Anyway, agree with the rest of your sentiment, cheers all, it's been a blast!

23. Cannonball

Cannonball Initiate (68) Jul 16, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

BA Moloko, Rue D Floyd, Zombie vs Unicorn

Narthax and the_ceeeeg like this.
  24. MaddieMason

MaddieMason Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2017 Kentucky

Just booked Hampton Inn Schererville for the last weekend in April and the first 2 weekends in May 2018. I would assume the festival will be one of those.

25. MasterPenguins

MasterPenguins Initiate (0) May 16, 2014 Indiana

I snagged Ronaldo 2017 and Zombie vs Unicorn at the beginning of the day.

the_ceeeeg likes this.
  26. EamonTheGreat

EamonTheGreat Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2014 Indiana

200 wow..... Incredible.

27. donovansill

donovansill Initiate (174) May 19, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Muerte, Biggesworth, Power Bottom, '17 Dark Lord, Zombie vs Unicorn, Rue D' Floyd, Mocha Wednesday.....

It was fun to try some variants on tap but if I remember I enjoyed Rue the best might just have been the fact it was earlier in the day though.

the_ceeeeg and eppie82 like this.
  28. RUinOhio

RUinOhio Initiate (105) Nov 12, 2014 Ohio

wear your Dragon Abortion shirt...bring some Monkish at the share too while you're at it LOL. Look for the guy with the R on his shirt, I owe you a pour of something for your Monkish pour, I was empty handed when I met you.

29. EamonTheGreat

I tend to go all-out on taps.... So I'm pretty sure I either got a pour or a sample of most variants tapped.

Full Pour Taps:
    ChemTrailMix
    Muerte
    Dwarven Power Bottom
    2015 Earl of Biggleswade
    2017 Regular Dark Lord
    Willet BA Behemoth

Sample Pours From Friends:
    Ronaldo
    15 Bourbon Dark Lord
    2011 Regular Dark Lord

30. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (331) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Impressive.

the_ceeeeg likes this.
  31. Runofthedill

Runofthedill Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Ohio

Shocked you are alive.

EamonTheGreat likes this.
  32. Quilentro

Quilentro Disciple (327) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Speaking of taps - how do you do them? I got the DL17 and Oil of Gladness. But then I didn't see anything exciting. Is there a particular tent to stand by?

...i never had fewer than two full cups, so it seemed challenging to say no to people pouring me beer for long enough to figure out what the hell was going on.

33. Runofthedill

Runofthedill Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Ohio

we just stood by the stage one and kind of watched for lines at the other station across. Ran across if we saw a line. We got Muerte and Earl just standing there. No real rush.

Quilentro and EamonTheGreat like this.
  34. EamonTheGreat

Me too.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  35. ChiCubs78

He was alive when I met him...for the most part :wink:

36. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,428) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I agree with your Rue assessment. Really surprised me how much I liked it. Glad I grabbed a bottle of it too a week earlier which I'll open at some point.

As for other taps, I only had BA Behemoth (Old Forester), Huna 17 and DL 17. All were good though and was happy to have them all.

donovansill likes this.
  37. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (927) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, there is really something bizzare with the fact Rue has been available to go, limit 4, for over two months. Maybe it's the $30 price point... Wonder if they made so much it squeezed out space for enough DL variants..

38. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,428) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

For me, the $30 was the reason I didn't pick up 4 when I was there. I also picked one up primarily based on positive reviews I've read on Beer Advocate, otherwise I'm not even sure I would have picked up even one. I grabbed it back a few years ago when it was infected and it left a sour taste in my mouth (pun intended).

39. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (382) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

Derivation was the best beer I had all day. I grabbed 3 cups worth when I ordered.

The guest draft near the share tent were a joke.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  40. EamonTheGreat

I take it this was at the guest taps near the stage?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.