Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColinRaff

ColinRaff Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2015 Illinois

Wife was able to get Group A tickets. Getting a hotel for the first time. Closest Marriott property I saw was Fairfield in Hammond, so we booked that. Looking forward to DLD this year!

2. prg

prg Initiate (47) Apr 13, 2016 Indiana

You win, I got through for B after buying E.

3. EddieGarcia

EddieGarcia Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2015 Illinois

Got a room at Hampton Inn! Bottle share?

4. Eric_H

Eric_H Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2015 South Dakota

So I got an A ticket does that mean marshmallow handgee guaranteed? Or still gotta hit the A line early?

What is left for B group since my buddy got that group?

5. DrippingI

DrippingI Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2012 Indiana

Might as well just get in line as soon as you enter the gates, just in case.

kreg02 likes this.
  6. YoungLad

YoungLad Initiate (133) Apr 27, 2009 Indiana

Lines are already forming. Get in one asap, or there's no hope for a handjee!

ChiCubs78, JRGVII and Jaycase like this.
  7. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

You guys will need it since I'm not going ...

8. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,384) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, if you're not in line yet, it's too late for any vanilla additives. As for your buddy, he's lucky to get a couple vintage Dark Lords. All is lost for him.

JFresh21 and JRGVII like this.
  9. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Devotee (458) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

It's always announced on their social media feeds at like 5am the morning-of when they're releasing at the kiosk.

I'm counting on that this year because I screwed up and got drunk last night and slept too long today

10. macewank

macewank Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

Just for the sake of whatever because I've seen a couple of people mention booking rooms at the Hampton in the last page or two

I'm pretty sure they sold out of DLD day rooms somewhere towards the front page of this thread. Since I don't want folks to get left with no room, you're booking the right dates, right?

11. asams10

asams10 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2014 North Carolina

Cs here. Which I feel is the perfect siz...err, group. Losing my DLD virginity this year!

JRGVII, Warren2621 and eppie82 like this.
  12. mich34

mich34 Initiate (56) Jan 5, 2015 Michigan

6 people, 4 tix and you got bumped out, time for new friends...

Warren2621 and midmichmatt like this.
  13. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,406) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

You just share whatever you decide to bring with people around you, and the gesture will be returned in kind. No need to set anything up regarding sharing unless you really want to. As for trades, that's certainly something you would be better of setting up in advance if you know what you want, but that too can happen spontaneously once you get to talking with people.

14. hafa

hafa Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2013 California

Nice going to look out for that growler then. Don't know exactly what my line is going to be but bringing in some SD heavy hitters

15. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Defender (635) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Or he just needs to ditch that wife and kids. Funny enough, some beer people actually have their priorities straight.

And those people puzzle and confuse me.

Jmorey, eppie82 and That_Bearded_Guy like this.
  16. Warren2621

Warren2621 Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I believe Dark Lord has a new label this year.

Zimmer Designer posted a teaser on instagram and I asked if it was a comic book cover or a new label. They responded that it was a new label.

[​IMG]

17. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

Post DLD ticket sale day 1: The countdown to DLD has begun. Congratulations to all that scored DLD tickets. Best of luck to those searching for some spare tickets out there and to those waiting to score kiosk tickets.

18. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (219) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

For planning purposes.............for folks that showed up later in the day last year (for like Group D and/or E), what time did you get in line outside and how long did it take you to get in? TIA.

I recall last year after I picked up my Group B bottles, I left the festival and went right to my car to drop my bottles off. When I came back, I had to wait in line again (after being told I didn't), and I vaguely remember it taking me like 1.5 hours to get back in - which was fine because I did another great bottle share again.

19. ColinRaff

ColinRaff Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2015 Illinois

From what I heard the very very first people in B last year got Hanjee. I was probably around middle of B and got Ronaldo which was probably the 3rd most sought after behind Hanjee and French Vanilla Militia.

20. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (219) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

If anybody in Group B got Hanjee it was because it was hidden or such and they found a box because I was like the 5th person in line for Group B - I was able to snag FVM but there was no Handjee when I was in there.

21. myersk27

myersk27 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Indiana

I loved Ronaldo.....was a great bottle.

22. here4thebeer11

here4thebeer11 Initiate (0) May 30, 2015 Indiana

I was second in line for group B, but when the gates opened, I ran to the station and passed some group A'ers taking their time looking around. I got the very last Handjee. My brother was there 20 seconds later and got a FVM.

23. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (306) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

It's silly to speculate right now, though I know it won't stop us (me included). Last year was weird because...

1) There were 2 vanilla variants. We may not be that lucky again.

2) A bunch of group A people got stuck in the north gate line, so they didn't make it for their pickup time.

I personally wouldn't count on Handjee making it past Group A, and who knows if there's another top-tier mystery variant. I think the only relatively safe guesses for what we get are Handjee, Bourbon barrel, de Muerte, and at least one weird one that no one wants (ie Earl and Temeculan). I'm hoping I at least snag a Bourbon in B.

JulianC likes this.
  24. here4thebeer11

I completely agree. If you take a look at variants in previous years, there is always VBDL, but one between it and the regular bourbon barrel in my opinion. 2015 was also the first year where they had a ton of variants, so hopefully that stays a trend.

25. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (306) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

My main hope is more "normal" stout variants. No cardamom and no barrels from super-sweet wines/spirits.

And before someone says it, yes, I realize FFF is "not normal."

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  26. petrochile

petrochile Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2004 Illinois

My buddy and I had Group E last year and took the shuttle from Jake's at noon at arrived to FFF at 1:00 pm. Line to get in took 90 minutes, but was great for bottle sharing as the rains started to come down maybe after 30 minutes we got in. My buddy and I were probably one of the last people to pick up our allotments, because we did not go when they started to let the Group E people in with D.

Hope this helps.

27. Warren2621

Warren2621 Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana

Got there around 10am and was in group E. Took about an hour to get in

28. Al_Fresco

Al_Fresco Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2015 Wisconsin

Do they start a separate line for Group B folks to wait in while A is still going through?

29. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,432) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Dude, your user image. Fuuuuuuuuck.

That alone makes me wish I had just gotten tickets when I could have, lmfao!

Al_Fresco likes this.
  30. here4thebeer11

The group B line started pretty much when the gates opened. It was pretty short (<20 people) until about an hour before our time slot. I think they knew that group A had some issues at the North gate, so they held us back until 15ish minutes after we were supposed to go in. During that time, there were some A people leaking in who walked through the entry that we were lined up by. They have it set up so the lines can be super long, so we didn't even see the A line, it was just empty space until group B filled it in.

Al_Fresco likes this.
  31. Jbuitron

Jbuitron Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2015 Illinois

Happy to be going to Dark Lord day! Group C. I think it's safe to say I'll get a variant but not my preferred one. Oh well, I'll have fun.

eppie82 likes this.
  32. croush

croush Crusader (789) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I think it'll all depend on how many variants they have this year, but I was group C last year and got Bourbon DL, which I was really happy with.

33. JakeT469

JakeT469 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

I was in Group C last year and they definitely were letting us in while group B was still going through the line. Also, why do people keep taking about getting a Handjee this year (save the jokes about a Handjee, I get it)? Unless I missed something, they haven't released the variants for this year yet...Could this be the year we see the long awaited return of Ragnarok since Amon Amarth will be playing? I sure as fuck hope so. That beer was killer!

34. JakeT469

Same here. With both vanilla variants and Ronaldo gone (I believe those were the only 3 gone by the time Group C started), I went with the for sure safe variant, BBA DL

35. discoverblue1

discoverblue1 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2017 Ohio

Hello all, I got a ticket yesterday in group C so going solo and this is my first time. Any good tips for me? I am bringing some good beers from cleveland to share, food, my ticket and ID of course.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  36. here4thebeer11

They always have had some version of VBDL as far back as DLD goes. They recently renamed their vanilla bean variant to Handjee, so Handjee and VBDL have become synonymous. So it is just an assumption that there will be a vanilla bean variant and that it will be one of the most prized of the variants.

37. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (901) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

If everyone here asked for the variant list do you think they'd get sick of us and put them up:

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  38. carlso_aw

carlso_aw Initiate (195) Jan 10, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

So, I know Group A starts lining up at the North Gate, but all other entrants have to come in through the South gate - correct? So if I'm group B, am I cool just to go straight to the South Gate the minute I get there and wait? Or do I have to line up at the North Gate as well?

39. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,406) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Last year people with group A were recommended to line up at the north gate because it was easiest/fastest route to get to bottles once you entered. But there were plenty of people from other groups at north entrance. They just didn't line up right away to pick up bottles.

As for lining up right away for group B, that is discouraged by 3Floyds. They recommend not lining up any earlier than 30 minutes before your designated group slot. Having said that, people do it anyway. Id just recommend not trying to line up with group A people since that group will need to get their stuff as quickly as possible in order to allow other groups to be on time. They dont need people from group B slowing things down. This applies to every group (group C shouldn't obstruct group B, and so forth).

40. JakeT469

Anyone can line up at any gate they want, even A.
    I'm very aware of the history here with the vanilla variant. However, it's probably not a good thing to assume anything especially with FFF/DLD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.