Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy_Bars

Billy_Bars Aspirant (294) Jan 18, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

To all the people talking about bottle sharing at Hampton Inn...

2 years ago, my first DLD, we had some friends of a friend staying there. We went and hung out in their room for a bit, because, well, DLD weather is horrid. After we came out we were just walking out the front door and stopped to talk to some guys in the lobby. Next thing I know it's the most badass, impromptu bottle share ever. Huna, Assassin, BVDL all got popped, but more than the whales, it was just a great time. Met some beer friends there that I still trade with here and there.

TL;DR- I highly recommend running into the Hampton Inn for anyone just in case you can spark something fun. You almost can't screw that up.

2. croush

croush Zealot (530) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I bought these at Target last year, along with a caribiner to attach them to my lanyard. Not the best glass, but it is great to not have to worry about dropping it or anything. I also had some plastic cups with me as backup and/or to give pours out to other people that might not have a glass available.

-TK421- and eifster82 like this.
  3. here4thebeer11

here4thebeer11 Initiate (126) May 30, 2015 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Sounds good, thanks! So what's with the queue looking think on the north side by the entrance?

4. here4thebeer11

here4thebeer11 Initiate (126) May 30, 2015 Indiana
    Beer Trader

What time? Might go even though I'm not staying there lol. More whales to share the better!

5. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (350) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

There's no difference to the quality of the share. Really a statement that can be applied to the whole day.

here4thebeer11 likes this.
  6. Billy_Bars

Billy_Bars Aspirant (294) Jan 18, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I honestly don't think it matters. I'm not positive of the time we were there, but I am 100% sure DLD wasn't over. We were group A and B, so we were spent pretty early; that's why we went to rest a bit. After that, instead of going back to DLD, we ran into this bottle share. I'm pretty sure this happens throughout the day in that lobby.

here4thebeer11 likes this.
  7. Scalawags

Scalawags Aspirant (246) Jun 18, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

If you think the Saturday share at the Hampton is badass, don't come on Friday night. You won't make it to DLD.

ChiCubs78 and NNN like this.
  8. carlso_aw

carlso_aw Aspirant (237) Jan 10, 2016 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I'll be there, and likely bringing some tasty beverages for drinking.

9. EddieGarcia

EddieGarcia Initiate (131) Sep 28, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'll be at the Hampton Inn, reporting everyone to the front desk for being loud while I'm trying to get some sleep.

prg, DrippingI, ayoungtech and 5 others like this.
  10. That_Bearded_Guy

That_Bearded_Guy Disciple (301) Jan 25, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Who's staying at the Hampton inn Hammond? I'll be bringing tasty shit to pour out for all you crazy bastards

Jmorey, midmichmatt and carlso_aw like this.
  11. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Champion (830) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I bought these, I always bring them to shares where I don't want to bring glassware

https://www.amazon.com/Govino-Glass-Flexible-Shatterproof-Recyclable/dp/B002WXSAT6

I think the thumb notch is like a 5oz pour too

TheKlevin likes this.
  12. TheKlevin

TheKlevin Devotee (429) Aug 6, 2014 Michigan
    Subscriber Beer Trader

eifster82 and Iamjeff6 like this.
  13. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Aspirant (270) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Drinking out of wine glasses...on Dark Lord Day!!!??? No wonder it rains all the time. There is only one drinking vessel approved by the DL and that is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Das-Horn-Drinking-Vessel-24oz/dp/B00EGIBDUS

or maybe the DL/DM Chalice if you can figure out how to make it a necklace.

kreg02 likes this.
  14. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Champion (830) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

God that chalice is heavy, especially when filled with a 22oz beer.

TheKlevin and HouseofWortship like this.
  15. kodt

kodt Zealot (505) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

16. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aspirant (222) Mar 22, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

The most clutch purchase I made was two or three years ago when I picked up a smaller Camelbak prior to the fest. I've used it at several other fests and it's been a life saver.

JRGVII likes this.
  17. HouseofWortship

Beer Trader

That's convenient, by the same token, FFF doesn't gouge on water. I think the local animal shelter usually sells bottles of water for $1 each in the grounds with the proceeds going to the shelter.

NNN likes this.
  18. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (263) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Nothing beats having that life saving water hose next to your face. You'll forget about the water in your bag but having the hose to drink from right there....like right by your face is great.

SaulTBauls likes this.
  19. That_Bearded_Guy

That_Bearded_Guy Disciple (301) Jan 25, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

This will be epic as fuck at DLD

kodt likes this.
  20. toolbrew

toolbrew Defender (692) Feb 26, 2008 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I brought the small solo cups from the Dollar Store last year and gave them to a few people in the south line who didn't bring cups...made their morning and shared great beer!

YoungLad and SaulTBauls like this.
  21. eifster82

eifster82 Defender (651) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Not only did we bring same salt & pepper shakers ( @kdawgmoney and I ) for shares drinking, we also brought clear cups for people that broke or didn't bring their own glasses as well.

The only negative I found about those salt & pepper glasses was that it's a relatively small opening for the pour, and the further we got into the day (drinking) it became tougher to pour into them and others were hesitant to do so also, leaving me with the pressure of not spilling. Im thinking of some kind of lanyard for a 5 oz mini-snifter with wider opening this year.

kdawgmoney likes this.
  22. zach60614

zach60614 Aspirant (202) May 1, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I feel like the people in line around us have no interest in beer whatsoever. At least 5 different people declined pours of St. Lamvinus when they were offered in the South line last year.

CKees, Zoomslowik and Dactrius like this.
  23. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (2,858) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

There's a lot fewer BA-minded folk at DLD than it would sound from this thread.

A lot of people with BCBS and bourbon familiarity show up due to the reputation of the big beer and living within relative proximity to the fest. And yay, they bring all their GI, but anything outside of the immediate big name Chicago bourbon barrel aged stout and they'll look at it like you're trying to put one over on them.

24. kreg02

kreg02 Aspirant (272) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

You come find me I will have some of that, :rolling_eyes:

Sabtos likes this.
  25. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (2,858) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

What was your icon before--gd it! It keeps escaping my memory and now the itch has gotten too strong! lol

#1545 Sabtos, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  26. kreg02

kreg02 Aspirant (272) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

lol, Ron Swanson... sorry on shaking things up on you

Sabtos likes this.
  27. HouseofWortship

Beer Trader

The Dark Lord Fortune #326
    Anyone who accepts pours of every good thing they are offered isn't going to last long at DLD.

prg, DrippingI, phreak1983 and 6 others like this.
  28. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Disciple (330) May 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

29. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Disciple (300) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

30. HouseofWortship

Beer Trader

31. prior2two

Beer Trader

I like the caribeaner idea. I have a fobab taster from a few years ago that has a handle. With a caribeaner, that can attach to lanyar no problem.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  32. asams10

asams10 Disciple (344) Mar 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Can I get all of their pours then?

33. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aspirant (222) Mar 22, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

This is true. I've used them more than once to fill back up. I was more speaking to sharing outside of the grounds or the night before. I would absolutely advocate supporting the animal shelter.

34. zach60614

zach60614 Aspirant (202) May 1, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Good point. Like the guys in 2015 that brought a case and half of Dogfish Head 120 Minute, they were shit housed. Most of the declines for pours I have received over the years were from people that brought nothing and weren't drinking. Guess I'm usually in line around the metal heads.

Sabtos likes this.
  35. Dactrius

Dactrius Meyvn (1,081) Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I've found it harder and harder to find people sharing in line (with people they didn't come with) as the years have gone by. Similarly, the big share under the tent is usually pretty dead by the time I'm hitting my stride (unless it's raining and people are hiding under there) since we don't show up to the fest until after lunch.

Everyone loves to talk about how awesome the bottle shares are but it's heavily luck driven, or based on having a big group of people you already know, and it seems like that's getting more and more true each year.

36. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Disciple (330) May 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

I just walk around with a bottle of Pliny and people swoon.

37. prior2two

Beer Trader

This has not been my experience at all.

38. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (319) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

That's a good but expensive way to get shit housed.

39. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (263) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Strangers offered me beer all day long last year.

Ohiou84, kreg02 and ChiCubs78 like this.
  40. ChWRoCk

ChWRoCk Initiate (38) Dec 9, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I've only been once, but nobody around me seemed willing to share in line before entering the festival; I probably got there at like 10, probably not the prime sharing time as I assume all the die hard bottle sharers arrive much earlier. I did have a decent bottle out in plain sight I was drinking to try and get people to notice to share, no dice.

Most of the shares I got throughout the day were people offering pours to cut the line in front of me. Also, I just happened to overhear a conversation of some folks who literally live 5 minutes from me and I jumped in and they started sharing bottles.

I never did enter the bottle sharing tent because I wanted to use up my vouchers...at the same time, is it frowned upon to enter the tent if I don't have much to share?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.