Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schroeder1200

schroeder1200 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2013 New Jersey

2. Harpy20

Harpy20 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2016 Illinois

This will be my first dld and will be trekking in/out from Chicago the day before. I have group c so I will avoid rolling in with group A so I can guarantee making it to my bottle pick up. I am aiming to get in line around 10am.

And if it is anything like MD/Assassin day shares. It seems to start off in small groups and just merge together. I went by myself and basically walked around meeting new people and sharing local/"whalez." I love these national events as they always bring great beers from across the country that are not mainstream. And that alot of people are just there to enjoy a common interest.

If anyone from Chicago is going solo I would be glad to meet up before DLD just so there is a familiar face in what I assume is chaos. Lol

ohiobeer29 likes this.
  3. Billy_Bars

Billy_Bars Aspirant (249) Jan 18, 2014 Illinois

As far as the people discussing the shares, I think the common themes here that I've seen all apply:
    • Don't be a douche
    • Offer a pour of your beer first
    • Don't have expectations
    Seriously, someone shared Chickow! with me, I'd never heard of it before, and it blew my damn mind. I've had a lot of great luck by myself making friends just by breaking out a bottle. I'm pretty sure most people are like me, in that they don't bring things they're afraid to share. If they brought it, they don't mind sharing it. Follow that same philosophy. Bring things that you're not stingy about. It doesn't need to be special. Especially if you're from out of town, break out those locals! Those of us from around Chicago would loooooove to try your beers! If you bring unique bottles that you're not protective over, your attitude will reflect the attitude that people want to share with.

Cheers guys, and here's to another great year!

4. JakeT469

JakeT469 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

There's someone that always takes on that task every year and it doesn't matter who it is. The spread sheet always includes an ISO:FT category for trades, what beers people are bringing for bottle shares, what group you're in, what hotel you're staying at, and a couple of other random categories. Unfortunately I'm too stupid and lazy to do it but I'm sure one of the fine folks on this board will get it started.

kreg02 likes this.
  5. RolandStJude

RolandStJude Initiate (77) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana

How would you break down the $180 ticket price? Say that I have a guest who really wants to go for the bottle share and to get some DL, but probably doesn't want that much DL or want to pay that much for the experience.

It seems like what you get is: 1) Admission; 2) 4 bottles 2017 DL; 3) 1 rare DL variant OR 2 vintage bottles

So would you think the breakdown is something like:
    Admission - $20
    4 bottles 2017 DL - $80
    1 rare DL variant OR 2 vintage bottles - $80

Or

Admission - $0
    4 bottles 2017 DL - $60
    1 rare DL variant OR 2 vintage bottles - $120

Or something else entirely?

6. croush

croush Champion (800) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Shouldn't admission be more along the lines of $40 based on prior years? 4 bottles of DL should be at least $80...if not $100 IMO, based on their other beers such as Behemoth.

kreg02 likes this.
  7. kreg02

kreg02 Disciple (364) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Yea this sounds right
    40 admission
    25/dl
    40 for variant/vintage

8. Billy_Bars

The last year they didn't include it, the bottles were somewhere along the lines of $20/DL and $40-50/variant. I can't, for the the life of me, remember the ticket price, but there should be a 2015 DLD thread with the specifics.

9. Billy_Bars

Why do they hold the variants hostage on us? I'm so ready to know that list, especially to see if there's anything that's gonna last to group C worth getting this year.

10. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,428) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Bourbon BADL makes it to C. That would be my choice. Unless there is Cognac BA Coffee DL again, which I picked in group C in '15. That was really good!

11. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

2015 tickets were 40$

Here is the new website instead of the dark lord day history thread that @kodt created.
    http://darklordday.info/index.php/Home

12. choder669

choder669 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2015 Ohio

My Wife and I roll in every year from Cleveland not knowing anyone and generally end up finding some people to talk to throughout the day and share. Same plan this year, we'll be there with some local Gems and a few more popular whalez from the cellar

TheKlevin likes this.
  13. Burntfoot

Burntfoot Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey

my brother in -law had an extra ticket to this year... after the weather of my first DLD last year I never thought i would go back. I am hoping for better weather -- don't mind the cold but that rain was too much for me. I am working on some VT/ NJ/ Plan Bee (upstate NY) stuff to bring for everyone to taste. I will be the guy with the Plan Bee Magnum lol

Group B by the way. .excited to see what will be left after A get done

Also what time should I plan to get there in order to get into the event before B bottle pick up starts ?

14. choder669

choder669 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2015 Ohio

Any local opinions on Byway Brewing in Hammond??? I just noticed there is a brewery rigth across the street from our hotel, wondering if anyone has tried it. Seems like a logical place to get dinner

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Initiate (68) Jul 16, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I was group B last year and am in group B again this year. Last year, I got there around 10:30 for the 12:30 allotment. After a 45 minute to an hour line to get in, I was able to get some DLD swag, grab a beer or two from the tents and scope things out, then get in the cattle line.

So a two hour lead time should be good, but earlier won't hurt as the line is tons of fun.

And bear in mind, group B is 90 minutes earlier this year.

In short, I'm shooting for no later than 9 for B.

Burntfoot and hiddendecoy like this.
  16. Billy_Bars

Awesome! I've been in A both my other times, and I've never actually had Bourbon, so that'll be perfect!

17. bigthirst

bigthirst Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013 Wisconsin

DL variants were always $50 each, before they were included with the ticket price.

tickets to the event have climbed up from $5, $15 (remember that shit show when there were counterfeits everywhere) to $30.....I believe the year they did GA it was $30 as well.

Darklord was $15 the first year I went

this years cost break down
    $25 reg DL
    $30 Ticket (include bag /lanyard)
    $50 BA DL (or $25 for each vintage)

18. myersk27

myersk27 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Indiana

Last year I believe they valued admission to the festival at $40 and regular DL bottles at $20. If I remember correctly. I remember them indicated we were getting $210 worth of stuff for the $200 ticket price. $40 in food vouchers, $80 in regular Dark Lord, $50 variant, and $40 admission.

JakeT469 and Jaycase like this.
  19. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (927) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Never heard of it, but if you are staying in Hammond, why not go to 18th street brewing in hammond?

Billy_Bars and kreg02 like this.
  20. bigthirst

bigthirst Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013 Wisconsin

it's possible I'm going off of memory

myersk27 likes this.
  21. kodt

kodt Defender (631) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

From what I have heard good food, meh beer.

18th St Brewing is about 10-15 minutes from there and would be a better choice for beer.

They don't really tell us how they value it, we are just guessing based on past pricing really. If you use a $40 entry price and $50 variant then DL bottles are $22.50 each. Or if we use $20 DL bottles then the entry fee is $50. Hard to say exactly what they have in mind.

eppie82 likes this.
  22. SoxFan

SoxFan Aspirant (226) Jun 16, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Food at Byway is good, but for beers I would head back to hotel for bottle shares.

As far as 18th Street, that's usually the Barrel Massacre night. Ticketed event that a lot of people felt was overpriced last year.

23. HouseofWortship

Trader

Are they going to piggy back off of DLD again or will they keep the last Friday in April? FFF did move their date so it will look like a pathetic attempt at being a hangers-on if 18th moves their date to coincide with DLD.

24. SoxFan

SoxFan Aspirant (226) Jun 16, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

It will be interesting to see. I can't blame them as a business decision to make it coincide but it wasn't well received last year.

whitenads likes this.
  25. Ohiou84

Ohiou84 Initiate (132) May 6, 2014 Ohio

I asked one of the brewery folks this exact question at Huna Day and they did not provide a substantive response. Last year they announced their date the first week of April for the end of April Massacre. I guess we should know in about a week.

26. eppie82

Trader

I thought the reg DL, variant and admission is free, but the tote bag is the $180 charge.

JRGVII, Jmorey, Billy_Bars and 7 others like this.
  27. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (428) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

This tote bag joke will never get old. I laugh hysterically every time. I'm seriously wiping tears of laughter out of my eyes.

28. eppie82

Trader

Glad to bring brightness to your day.

TheKlevin likes this.
  29. HouseofWortship

Trader

The Dark Lord Fortune 1648

Souls that entrust the tote soon give ants diabetes.

30. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (221) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

What about us poor Schleps in Group D? Soy Souce DL?

31. HouseofWortship

Trader

2 Vintage DL

32. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (582) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana

So I'm guessing the first 5 variants gone last year were

Handjee
    Militia
    Ronaldo
    Bourbon
    Muerte

Did any of those survive til D? I just want any barrel that isn't wine

33. NikkoE82

NikkoE82 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2012 Indiana

I tried each variant last year. The wine ones are alright. It's the Temeculan or similar variant you want to steer clear of.

34. xxbassplayerxx

xxbassplayerxx Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2016 Kentucky

Last year is not a very good representation of things lasting until D. I was group D and went over a bit before my designated time and they were already letting in group E. I ended up with Dwarven Power Bottom but someone grabbed the last Muerte just before me.

35. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,538) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Outside of the vanillas, favorites?

36. RP13

RP13 Initiate (102) Oct 28, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I was Group D and got Muerte '16 ('15 was available as well). Rest on your list were not options for me.

37. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Aspirant (207) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I was B and everything except for Handjee, Militia and Ronaldo was available so I got the bourbon barrel aged dark lord. I actually cracked it open last weekend and it was pretty awesome.

38. Sabtos

Society Trader

I'm an idiot for getting Temeculan in B last year. Although, the old lady did love it--she got completely fucking hammered drinking my share of it!

We picked up a Ronaldo, and then saw that FMV was gone. Being half drunk and pumped full of adrenaline trying to see what all was available and not taking my time, I saw the Temeculan and grabbed it out of novelty and hopes it wasn't Biggleswade 2.0...dumb move. Should have gotten the regular BA or Muerte.

39. croush

croush Champion (800) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

It still puzzles me why Ronaldo went so quickly. Had they done a variant like that before, or was last year the first time? I looked at ratings across different sites, and Bourbon DL seems to be rated higher than it across all of them. Was it due to bottle count possibly (i.e. more Bourbon DL, less Ronaldo)?

40. Sabtos

Society Trader

I can't say why others went for it, but I can speak for myself.

Sometimes I get a chocolate covered cherry flavor from regular Dark Lord, so to add actual tart cherries to it sounded really delicious to me. Also, Madeira is an amazingly complex wine. I've had maybe only one other beer aged in Madeira barrels (I assume they aren't cheap or easy to come by), and it is one of my favorite barleywines of all time.

That being said, Ronaldo wasn't drastically punchy with new flavors like I'd expected it to be and it was almost too similar to Dwarven Power Bottom, which I liked even less. I mean I loved them both but...I actually like regular DL more, comparatively.

croush and ChiCubs78 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.