Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (125) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

What's a reasonable time to go if I have group E tix? is noon a recipe for disaster?

2. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (582) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana

I had E last year and got there around 10 or 11. Waited 45 to get through the gates. Had no issues at all throughout the day. Minus numb feet

3. NikkoE82

NikkoE82 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2012 Indiana

Ronaldo. Easy. But that was my favorite even considering the vanillas.

Sabtos likes this.
  4. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (125) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Was group E time at 5-7 last year? I feel like 11-5 is quite a lot of drinking considering the beers that will be drank that day.

5. prg

prg Initiate (47) Apr 13, 2016 Indiana

Also group E and was planning on around noon. See you in line.

6. croush

croush Champion (800) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Hey, it's Dark Lord Day, isn't that the point? :wink: Pretty sure I drank just about straight through from around 9 until 4 last year before throwing in the towel.

BeerPrince22 likes this.
  7. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (582) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana

Can't remember the actual time slot but I think I lined up around 3 or 4 because lines were moving quick.

And yes. That's a lot of drinking. From what I remember I had 16 pours that day and around 8 of them were different Dark Lords. I stayed til pretty much the end of the night though

8. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (928) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

The Dark Lord Fortune #5,999
    Caucasians who select variants aged in dessert beverage barrels will white whine.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Initiate (68) Jul 16, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

From a sweetness standpoint, how does Handjee/BVDL compare to Ronaldo?

I drank my Ronaldo on Thanksgiving, which was delicious and intense, but mighty sweet. Trying to gauge where handjee falls on the overall Dark Lord sugar spectrum.

10. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (382) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

It's very sweet. If I were to attempt to drink one myself, it would take multiple hours.

However, for a 6-8oz, it's delectable.

Cannonball likes this.
  11. hophead7117

hophead7117 Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2015 Massachusetts

How easy is it to sell a spare ticket at DLD?

12. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,428) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

At DLD, when you get there? Not sure. But if you plan ahead, even little, it won't be very difficult.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/forums/beer-tickets.62/

The list of people looking for tickets should grow over the next month and a half. And I'm sure with a day ahead, you still should be able to sell it. Just depends on how much and if you have any conditions.

#1692 eppie82, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  13. HouseofWortship

Trader

Like most DL, when cold they are sugar bombs. Vanilla is no different. Very sweet, but once it warms up you get the balance from other flavors. It is still a sweet drink, but not tooth achingly so like when it is cold.

Cannonball likes this.
  14. bigthirst

bigthirst Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013 Wisconsin

Sh!t, i'm still sitting on a Temeculan....i've heard this a couple times

15. bigthirst

Ha, I had the opposite happen...super pissed cop (off duty) was bombed and freakin out that he lost his badge (he was blaming his wife). He handed me his backpack with his full allotment, and said "please don't take my variant" while he disappeared to look for his badge.

FYI: He left with all his bottles but never did find his badge (at least not in the hour or so he was around my group)

16. bigthirst

Same for me

17. HouseofWortship

Trader

I would hold off judgement until you try it. It's like saying who your least favorite child is. You love them all and the "worst" is is all relative. Muerte used to be the worst. Then muscatel. Then Biggleswade. Now Temeculon. They continue to make Muerte and muscatel has been used in two plus other DLs since it was introduced. They made Biggleswade twice and I thought it was delicious.

18. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2013 Iowa

I had akvavit on draft in 2015 and thought it was phenomenal. Ended up with a bottle in 2016 and it was still great.

Sabtos and texasalec like this.
  19. texasalec

texasalec Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2013 Texas

Yes, Yes, and Yes. It was one of the most balanced BA Dark Lord variants I have had in a long time.

SaulTBauls likes this.
  20. zach60614

zach60614 Initiate (0) May 1, 2012 Illinois

Or it could mean nothing but Temeculan and Biggleswade type variants. We are talking about Three Floyd's here.

21. ayoungtech

ayoungtech Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2015 Wisconsin

I have my Legio Gemina from last year still. I think it's the same as Temeculan without the spices.
    Has anyone tried LG here?

22. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Defender (634) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I would like to see a maple/bourbon barrel aged dark lord. Regular DL is a little too roasty and bitter, could use some more sweetness.

23. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,548) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

You, sir, have just broken the internet.

24. Sabtos

Society Trader

Considering no one has bothered to type a review of LG, I too would love to hear some opinions on it.

SGerrard likes this.
  25. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

Added Dark Lord Day 2017 to the BA Events/calendar.

26. Bugsmcl

Bugsmcl Initiate (196) May 2, 2016 Ohio

I have a bottle from last year as well. curious to see what it tastes like.

27. Sabtos

Society Trader

I'd be happy to fill you in, if you'd oblige.

croush and HouseofWortship like this.
  28. sbh50

sbh50 Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2015 Ohio

I tried it about a month after dark lord day last year. I loved it. Pretty sweet, but I like the sweet beers. Almost like a candied cherry flavor sweetness to it on top of the base dark lord. At least that's what I remember.

29. weese

weese Initiate (79) Jun 16, 2014 California
    Trader

I liked Quit Hitting Yourself quite a bit. Nowhere near as good as the big ones at the share we had (FVM, HJ) but better than some of the other variants.

30. rhouliha

rhouliha Initiate (75) Nov 8, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Is there a DLD trade google doc setup for this year (similar to last year's)?

#1710 rhouliha, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    bigthirst likes this.
  31. EmpireStrikesBock

EmpireStrikesBock Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 Illinois

I have a group A ticket, so the window is 9 AM-11AM. The closest shuttle to my apartment in Chicago leaves at 8AM, meaning the earliest I would get to the festival line would be 845-9.
    I also have a Group C ticket in my name for my friend. Will the lines be so bad at this time that I'd end up going in with Group B?

What Variants were left for late group A or early group B last year?
    I was a middle Group C and got Muerte in 2016

32. MashedTators

MashedTators Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2016 Illinois

I took that bus last year and made it in at the end of group A. I was able to get a Handjee.

33. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (331) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I was group B last year. I got Ronaldo and BA Derklerd. Lines were pretty slow the past couple years. If you show up at 9, I bet you will get into the festival around 10:30.

34. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Aspirant (207) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah my goal is to target south gate at 7am to get in by 9am. I have A tickets.

kreg02 likes this.
  35. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (147) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois

I contacted BusBank who organizes Jak's Tap shuttle bus to DLD. Asked if there would be an earlier option than an 8am shuttle as the event is an hour earlier this year. They're firm with 8am being the earliest time. I have not been able to find another shuttle that's leaving any earlier. This only concerns me because a few people going with our group are in A. Anyone have any other insights on what shuttles might be leaving earlier?

36. core42

core42 Zealot (532) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

I was towards the front of Group B & got FVM

37. croush

croush Champion (800) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

You could take an Uber out there. More expensive, but I believe some others said that if you get 3-4 people, the cost is not that much more.

38. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (382) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

My friend and will be taking an Uber and plan to leave the city around 7.30 am. We're looking for 2 more (and more people to share with), so if you're interested in splitting a ride, shoot me a pm.

It's about $50 one way.

39. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (147) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois

Appreciate the offer. I totally would, but I have 5 others going with. Might try Uber XL if I can't find an earlier shuttle.

40. texasalec

texasalec Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2013 Texas

For those who are in Group A and taking the 8:00 AM shuttle from Jaks Tap. I did that last year and lined up at the North Gate (in line for an hour, so I got in at 10:00 am) and they had plenty of MJ variants. All 4 people in my group got a bottle, so I would not be concerned about that. An hour in line also provided plenty of time to curse the beer gods for the shitty weather and bottle share.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.