Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,499) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

While I may not have been one of your many numbered friends, I too had to escape the shackles of a food line, on three separate occasions. I finally bit the bullet on a fourth attempt, it took almost a full hour to get up there and I was still hungry after I finished the food I "bought."

Left the fest with 6 unused tickets which we gave to some dudes in a cab who were stopping at their hotel and going back.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  2. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

I was just about to say that. I don't see vouchers over cash being able to speed up massive food lines. They can only cook the food so fast.

JRGVII likes this.
  3. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (426) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I know this is going to sound like crazy talk but one of the keys to surviving Dark Lord Day is to bring a tiny ass tasting glass and never fill it all the way. I know it sounds hard but you have to do it. I average around 35 pours per Dark Lord Day and by pour 11 my palate is fucked anyways. Better to have tasted and lived than to have had 8oz and not be able to function that evening and the whole entire next day.

Coel, JRGVII, Jmorey and 1 other person like this.
  4. JJH1018

JJH1018 Initiate (173) Sep 13, 2013 Illinois

Especially with Mother's Day being the next day.

JRGVII, YoDudeguy and Jplachy like this.
  5. Scalawags

Scalawags Initiate (188) Jun 18, 2013 Michigan

Towards the end of the day, I just had people randomly handing them to me, I just drank taps like mad all day. I even gave one guy $50 in vouchers plus my FVM for his BVDL. I will miss the vouchers.

6. Sabtos

Society Trader

Since there was a Trump and Pump beer last year, can we have a CHEETOS food line this year? Food prep is much quicker for a bowl of freshly poured CHEETOS.

JRGVII and ChiCubs78 like this.
  7. ChiCubs78

It's already BYOC (bring your own cheetos). I don't see them changing that policy.

8. Sabtos

Society Trader

But my CHEETOS always get crushed or liquified...:flushed:

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  9. ChiCubs78

Liquified Cheetos does NOT sound appetizing.

Sabtos likes this.
  10. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (580) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana

I cant imagine cash being easier even if there is a long voucher line. I was happy with how quickly tap lines moved last year. I'm sure the people working them were more than happy to not have to give change back to every person using a $20 bill.

I will convert all of my cash to $5 bills just in case. I hope to god there are vouchers. I would rather devote a little time buying a ton of vouchers when I get there than waiting in lines of people trying to get change back for every pour.

croush likes this.
  11. zach60614

zach60614 Initiate (0) May 1, 2012 Illinois

I load up on cheese and bananas for breakfast so I don't have to take a shit at DLD.

aep, SourTweek, JRGVII and 9 others like this.
  12. Sabtos

Society Trader

Upon entering the festival, this will be what every single attendee will do that isn't in Group A. Imagine a line that has every single attendee in it. Even if split up into a few sections, it will literally bog the entire fest to a screeching halt.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  13. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (580) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana

What about making it like the 18th Street 3rd anny party? When you get in the door you can immediately buy drink tickets.

Maybe when checking in at DLD they can sell you the vouchers at the table before you get in

JRGVII and croush like this.
  14. croush

croush Crusader (798) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

You forget that everyone will be running to get a spot underneath the tent for the bottle share...especially considering the acid rain that will be coming down (I'm sure the tent will protect us).

I think the voucher system will make sense...I agree there could be a rush at the beginning, but throughout the day, the lines will be more spread out, as people can get in line for vouchers at their own leisure, as opposed to getting in line at the taps only at the times when good beer appears.

Zoomslowik and ChiCubs78 like this.
  15. ChiCubs78

Has anyone that doesn't like the cash idea been to Dark Lord Day prior to last year? I'm just asking because I thought the lines for food and beer moved about the same as the years prior.
    The only line that seemed faster to me last year was the allotment pick-up since it was pre-paid.

16. ChiCubs78

Silliness. I disagree with you. Since I'm behind my computer I will in turn call you a poopy head as well. Good day sir. I say good day!

17. croush

croush Crusader (798) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Well, then, if the lines moved about the same in either the cash or voucher system, then we shouldn't really care, right? And centralizing it all to vouchers allows them to have less people handling cash that could create problems. But, my head is made of poop...so what do I know. :wink:

choder669 and ChiCubs78 like this.
  18. ChiCubs78

Except you'd now have another line to stand in since vouchers aren't included. All fun and serious discussions aside I'd say that them eliminating vouchers from the ticket package meant they've eliminated vouchers all together. It's logistically much easier for everyone to pretty much have vouchers in hand from the start if you're going that route.

Sabtos likes this.
  19. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Aspirant (207) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Just sell your vanilla variant and you will have vouchers for dayz.

JRGVII, Jmorey, TheKlevin and 2 others like this.
  20. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (382) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

The food line was ridiculous last year, but the beer lines moved MUCH faster with the vouchers as opposed to cash and servers needing to make change.

Granted, the guest taps were never really crowded because of the rain, but everyonce in a while a BA Dark Lord would pop up at the FFF station and the line would get bananas. The line moved very quickly and orderly with the vouchers. If those guys were having to break 20s it would have been a nightmare.

I'm all for the vouchers.

The food section needs to be thought out better though. That was rough.

croush, YoDudeguy and ChiCubs78 like this.
  21. ChiCubs78

Whether we like the vouchers or not the real question should be will there be vouchers or will it be cash only?
    (I know the FAQ section on the DLD site says the event is cash only but that could just refer to how everything has to be purchased, even vouchers if they were available...right?)

croush likes this.
  22. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (470) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Be wary of the guy walking the line between 7-9am selling "vouchers."

DMorgan24, JRGVII, prg and 2 others like this.
  23. Sabtos

Society Trader

There was never a line to actually buy vouchers before. This is a whole new aspect to DLD that people seem to be floating.

I have been to beer festivals where you had to buy tickets to use to buy other things. It sucked and was irritating and wasted a lot of valuable time where you could actually be doing things and/or waiting in line for the actual things you wanted. And those were much smaller festivals. Can't imagine it with the exponentially larger clusterfuckery of DLD.

I thought cash worked fine the year before. Weather was (slightly) better that year as well, and so were the taplists, but somehow all of the lines were more manageable, except for Donermen and the actual bottle pickup line. With Donermen, that's a given. With the bottle pickup...I was okay with that because the bottle share there was pretty fun.

24. Sabtos

Society Trader

The beer lines weren't crowded because they sucked.

This is probably the best place to leave it actually, who knows wtf the system will be like yet...

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  25. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (914) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Okay, I've got the compromise:

Vouchers optional. Those that want to buy them and not have to deal with cash all day can. Those who don't want to deal with vouchers can just pay cash.

26. ChiCubs78

I'd have to assume FFF would rather deal with one or the other. Keeping track of/counting both separately in the end would probably be a pain in the arse.

27. zach60614

zach60614 Initiate (0) May 1, 2012 Illinois

I thought there was a line to buy vouchers for use on food and taps in 2015. Granted, there is a good chance I am wrong since I've never actually purchased food or taps at DLD in the last 5 years that I have attended and I could be thinking of a completely different beer event.

28. prior2two

It was kind of a self-perpetuating cycle. The kegs never blew because there were no people, and there were no new beers because the kegs never blew.

In previous years, there was always a host of "shitty" (I use that term loosely) beers, but in nice weather they still would be consumed because people were happy to stand in line, bottle share, and just order something when they got to the front, and all it takes is for a keg of Jai alai or Founders Ruhbaeus to blow, and lo and behold, CBS up next.

Last year, no one was willing to walk out into the rain and wait for an ok beer. Many of the beers that were on draft when I got in at open were still available 7 hours later. They just never sold out. I think Toppling Goliath Golden nugget was on draft all day. Sure it's not special, but during a normal DLD, that keg will kick in an hour with people that have never tried a TG beer before.

Even 2 years ago, there were points when there wasn't rain for 60 min at a time and you could mingle with people in the guest tap line.

That being said, I did see BA Abraxas on draft last year but missed it by a few people.

kodt likes this.
  29. Sabtos

Society Trader

I remember fumbling for some cash, and sloshing beer all over it, but it only took me a few seconds. Thing about cash is its it doesn't dissolve as soon as it sees rainclouds unlike those scaredypant vouchers.

I see that line of thinking, I do, but, they don't have to keep a keg on until it kicks. They can change them anytime they want. I really don't think they had very much left to offer--I didn't hear of any amazing guest taps at the brewpub the following weeks after, which would normally be the case if there were a lot of untapped kegs from a festival.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  30. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (426) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Can you even imagine how much room there's going to be on that property if it doesn't rain this year. Like the last 2 years people have just been huddled under tents to try and stay out of the rain. You'll actually be able to spread out and enjoy yourself.

31. Bugsmcl

Bugsmcl Initiate (196) May 2, 2016 Ohio

I demand cheetos infused dark lord!!!

ChiCubs78 and Sabtos like this.
  32. Bugsmcl

Bugsmcl Initiate (196) May 2, 2016 Ohio

Agreed bad idea buying glassware. I spent $50 on glasses for my friend and myself just to lose them at the fest. I still get shit for it.

33. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (343) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

This is, without fail, always my favorite yearly post of the DLD thread. The dreaded "What if I have to poop at Dark Lord Day?" comment. Just FYI, I enjoy potty humor.

SourTweek, JRGVII and ChiCubs78 like this.
  34. Lazhal

Trader

At least you didn't break them like everyone else.

Bugsmcl likes this.
  35. Lazhal

Trader

Potty humor is worthy of another fortune IMO. Calling @HouseofWortship !

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  36. prior2two

I didn't last year because of the included vouchers (and then regretted it), but in the past, I've always made basic sandwiches and brought them in with the bottles. Sure, they're kinda soggy and shitty, but they totally hit the spot at about hour 3 when you're not ready for a burrito just yet, but pretzels just isn't getting it done.

Also, I highly recommend a couple bags of chips/pretzels/snacks if you're in a group.

37. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (914) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

The Dark Lord Fortune #85,775

Men may pee from their genitalia while standing and women from their genitalia while sitting, but under the spell of The Dark Lord everyone pees out of their ass.

Billy_Bars, JRGVII, BSiegs and 8 others like this.
  38. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (328) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

No vouchers! Then I have to guess the amount of pours/food that I will want. Impossible to predict!

Billy_Bars likes this.
  39. Sabtos

Society Trader

2013 Muerte--thoughts?

VABA and Warren2621 like this.
  40. prior2two

Spicy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.