Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. croush

croush Champion (800) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Yep, the fresh hops aspect of it definitely will alter what happens. I have a feeling we'll see a lot of Noon Whistle, Mikerphone and whoever else releases an NE IPA the couple weeks before DLD.

2. Coel

Coel Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

That was my mistake late year...

3. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

Of course. I have a few definites and a few yet to be determined. Definitely bringing a 2016 BCBS Coffee, Double Barrel Huna, and a Wicked Weed Pear sour.

4. ChiCubs78

Damn bro. That's tough. I'll pour one for him this year at the fest.

Sabtos likes this.
  5. asams10

asams10 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2014 North Carolina

I'll probably end up with some Heist crowlers, and possible some SE stouts (Cycle, Cigar City, Westbrook)

ChiCubs78 and JRGVII like this.
  6. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (926) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I've decided I can't wait for DLD so I'm just taking a couple of beers in a backpack to the DMV while wearing wet clothes right out of the washer. Waiting in multiple lines and drinking from plastic cups should adequately replicate the experience as long as the announcements on the overhead speakers is as indecipherable as what comes out of those metal bands.

7. myersk27

myersk27 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Indiana

I typically employ the same strategy. I use the mini salt and pepper shaker and clip it to the lanyard. Usually take half the glass as the sample...so maybe 2-3oz max. Then I fill the whole glass with water and drink that before the next sample.

8. Runofthedill

Runofthedill Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Ohio

9. -TK421-

-TK421- Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2016 Florida

i have a small igloo cooler back pack i took last year but this one look more comfortable, and can store more bottles - which is great because i don't want to rely on the totes.

10. ChiCubs78

That might make the DMV experience more pleasurable, actually.

11. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,427) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Current weather projection by Accuweather for 5/13:

High of 77 degrees, partly sunny.

YoDudeguy and ChiCubs78 like this.
  12. HouseofWortship

Trader

The Dark Lord Fortune #301,187

Fear thine spices not, for they may be thy enemy of Dark Lord, but a more delicious friend you shall never have when allying with the curry fries.

13. zach60614

zach60614 Initiate (0) May 1, 2012 Illinois

It will probably be 65 degrees and sunny in Munster on April 29th and 38 degrees with torrential rain and 40 mph winds on May 13th.

14. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (428) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I am absolutely waiting for this to be the case.

TheKlevin likes this.
  15. ChiCubs78

Wasn't the forecast for last year looking good for a long time and then as the last two weeks approached it just kept getting worse?

YoDudeguy, TheKlevin and DeadWax like this.
  16. zach60614

zach60614 Initiate (0) May 1, 2012 Illinois

Any forecast this far out is completely pointless.

17. eppie82

Trader

It's interesting just for the point of seeing how far off it will actually be.

croush, ChiCubs78 and Jplachy like this.
  18. ChiCubs78

Exactly. In my post I was referring to the forecast looking good just a couple weeks out and getting progressively worse as the day got closer.

19. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,530) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

DonerMen!!!

YoDudeguy and ChiCubs78 like this.
  20. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (382) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

It was looking good last year up until like Monday. Then it was steady "95% chance of rain all day"

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  21. ChiCubs78

That's right. I remember hitting up Amazon prime for the quick rain gear ensemble delivery.

YoDudeguy and TheKlevin like this.
  22. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (382) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

Yeah. I was holding out hope until the last min. I end of going on Friday to buy the rain gear.

And then my poncho ripped about 4 hours in, so I drunkingly spiked it on the ground out and let out a scream.

To be fair no one heard me because I was in the music tent.

YoDudeguy, JRGVII, ChiCubs78 and 2 others like this.
  23. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (315) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

If I remember right, the forecast didn't go to complete shit until like 3 days before.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  24. Sabtos

Society Trader

And the foreskin?

VABA and Billy_Bars like this.
  25. ChiCubs78

Maybe. I know it was close because I Amazon Primed my gear and was praying it would arrive in time.

TheKlevin and croush like this.
  26. Sabtos

Society Trader

Facebook going apeshit trolling each other (or being serious) about disappointing leaked variant list. Pretty hilarious actually.

VABA likes this.
  27. prg

prg Initiate (47) Apr 13, 2016 Indiana

For many many reasons, I don't have a FB account.... post the list!

28. HouseofWortship

Trader

Post what they are alleged to be

29. Sabtos

Society Trader

I don't either lol, had a friend show me on his phone.

There isn't really a list, just things people say won't be bottled, and weird barrels used. No Nilla for one. Barrels used said to be Tequila, Mezcal, Aquavit, Earl, Bourbon, Malort, and Fernet, or only cardamom, tumeric, Hickory smoked, for variants this year.

Partly sounds like trolling...but I've heard it a few times now.

30. eppie82

Trader

I'll wait for official list. If the list is crap, I'll start freaking out then. But sounds like a lot of trolling.

croush likes this.
  31. kodt

kodt Defender (631) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

On reddit there are these poor souls who are falling for all the rumors like: vanilla is infected, only group A is getting variants, no vanilla this year, tickets were sold at the brewpub, etc...

32. Runofthedill

Runofthedill Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Ohio

R/Beer is a weird hodge podge of people.

YoDudeguy, kodt and HawkeyeBeerLover like this.
  33. Sabtos

Society Trader

So, like the rest of Reddit then? :wink:

Billy_Bars and YoDudeguy like this.
  34. ChWRoCk

ChWRoCk Initiate (44) Dec 9, 2013 Illinois

It is quite funny to watch everyone yell at each other....

He didn't provide a list per se, just barrels used:

Tequila, Mezcal, Hickory Smoked, Aquavit, Earl, Bourbon

Also saying no vanilla variants, no muerte, then others are adding to his "supposed" barrel aged list and he is agreeing with them. He at some point mentioned only groups A & B will get a variant...

More or less mentioning everything one doesn't want to hear to rile everyone up, impossible to say if any of this is true or not.

I for one am just happy to likely have the opportunity to select any variant in Group A, regardless of what it is I won't know how good it is until I consume it anyhow.

Sabtos likes this.
  35. core42

core42 Zealot (531) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

The best part is that if you put this rumor out about any other brewery (except maybe AtG) most people would call BS right away but everyone could see FFF using hickory smoked barrels & it scares them :grinning:

36. Egotist

Egotist Initiate (189) Feb 19, 2011 Illinois

From what I've heard from local friends and family here is that there is a major problem with vanilla. They salvaged some of it and there should be about 12-15 cases of it for the early group A. The issue is that they had to "adjust" it (think cover up off flavors) and they're likely to go bad like the rest.

The 3-500 missing vanilla bottles are why they needed to pull out vintages. I have group B tickets and there's no way in hell I'm risking a vanilla if there's any left. I'll take the BBDL all day and enjoy it with friends this fall/winter stress free.

Vitamin_Hop likes this.
  37. eppie82

Trader

I'm just chalking this kind of talk up to people in later groups spreading rumors about vanilla so they can have a chance at them lasting longer, unless I hear otherwise.

JakeT469, YoDudeguy, SoxFan and 6 others like this.
  38. croush

Trader

Nothing like rumors of infection to get this thread going to 100 pages! I really can't believe much of anything regarding possible infection at this point. I'm not completely saying it can't end up being true, but without any credible sources I'm familiar with, there's no sense in buying stock in it.

39. HouseofWortship

Trader

I heard they had to move Dark Lord Day back because they found out the warehouse was full of asbestos and lead and it was put there by ghosts so the place is definitely haunted by souls that died on site when they mistakenly used anthrax instead of brett, but yeah, if any of you want to risk going in to get your beer...:wink:

beerhan, red94tt, YoDudeguy and 9 others like this.
  40. croush

Trader

I was just thinking more about this. Handjee/Vanilla is aged in bourbon barrels, correct? So, if that were infected, wouldn't the regular Bourbon DL be infected as well most likely? Or, if they somehow had separated out the infected ones and still had Bourbon DL, couldn't they add the vanilla beans to that now? I thought adjuncts were added after aging...not sure how long they usually leave the adjuncts in for, but it seems like they could still recover from something like that if they needed to at this point.

That's just me thinking aloud, and I really don't know that much about how they age & for how long.

Zoomslowik and ChiCubs78 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.