Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (382) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

Power bottom was early. Maybe around 11 or so? It was right after I picked up my bottles.

Muerte was a little later, cause I was drunk with a capital D. Maybe around 4 or so.

I got both at the station Behind the music tent to the south.

-TK421- likes this.
  2. Narthax

Narthax Crusader (741) Mar 23, 2014 Texas
    Trader

We got a ton of Muerte last year in my group. Like 4-6 pours worth. I think that was mid day.

3. chewymangos

chewymangos Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2014 Indiana

I want to say my group had De Muerte and Power Bottom both before my group C session because we left maybe an hour or two after getting our Dark Lord bottles and kept checking the guest taps after having the first two because that's where we got them.

4. prior2two

That could very well be true. The whole day after getting inside the gates is kind of a blur.

Except for the food line. That memory is crystal clear, and the misery spent in it will haunt me the rest of my days.

5. EamonTheGreat

EamonTheGreat Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2014 Indiana

Completely Random. A lot of variants went on tap near the music tent last year.

6. Dactrius

Dactrius Poo-Bah (1,612) Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

To be clear, all of this talk about variants blowing quickly is in reference to early/mid-day. Later it's not uncommon to walk by a tap station that has a variant on tap with no line and still be able to go back and get more when you've finished your glass.

7. DMorgan24

DMorgan24 Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2016 Canada (MB)

Ha! I'm from Winnipeg; an hour north of ND. I think way back when I signed up on BA, I couldn't choose Canada so I picked the closest thing. I've def got a couple of whalez... but I've attended a few Darkness Days and the biggest share hits are always the rare Canadian stuff. Looking forward to sharing again with a whole new group!

8. prior2two

Yeah after 4pm or so. It really thins out.

EamonTheGreat likes this.
  9. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

Dang, lol. I was buzzed for sure when the gates opened up but I kept drinking water and grabbed some tacos right when I got in.
    The food line did suck but it ended up keeping me away from the tent share for a bit, which was a good thing. That and the food got me ready for the rest of the tent share.

10. prior2two

The food was fine. The line just took forever, and it was like ice crystals we're falling from the sky.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  11. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,479) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

One might say, the skye was cracked.

JRGVII, Cannonball, KBlodorn and 4 others like this.
  12. ChiCubs78

I was super prepared and completely rainproof last year (after learning from my mistake the previous year). That really helped a lot.
    But I see your point now. That would be pretty damn miserable.

13. ChiCubs78

I see what you did there :rolling_eyes:

Sabtos likes this.
  14. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (314) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I feel like I have to wait in the food line no matter what this year as a way to avoid being the 2017 version of Garbage Can Guy.

reefer_bob, Jmorey and ChiCubs78 like this.
  15. ChiCubs78

I'm wondering if anyone here seen (or was) the guy last year that was trying to enter the group C line right when it was time to line up. This dude was mega drunk walking side to side, stumbling, nearly falling and occasionally using the railings to keep himself standing upwards while maintaining a decent pace. People were cheering him on as I don't think he ever actually fell. It was quite the accomplishment. We ended up passing him on the way in so I'm not sure what happened to him after that.

#2735 ChiCubs78, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Remobsu and Zoomslowik like this.
  16. EamonTheGreat

EamonTheGreat Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2014 Indiana

He evolved into "Have You Seen My Allotment Guy"

Pooles26, JRGVII, Zoomslowik and 3 others like this.
  17. JLA1221

JLA1221 Initiate (187) Oct 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Yes. I think there were multiple versions of him out there. I saw another guy to the south in the parking area impersonating a pinball between two pickup trucks as well. Tried to help him but it was odd as he was almost like a human gyroscope that refused to give way to the ground. Never fell in about a 10min. span. Hope he made it home.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  18. ChiCubs78

I'm pretty sure these are three separate characters. If I recall correctly "Have You Seen My Allotment Guy" was done for earlier than group C. "Garbage Can Guy" was, well..."Garbage Can Guy." "The Stumbling Drunk Guy" didn't look like the other two guys.

JLA1221 likes this.
  19. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Ohio

What was Garbage Can Guy's story?

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  20. ChiCubs78

He was hanging onto one of those big garbage cans and for most of the time his head and/or the top part of him was inside the garbage can. He was like that for a long time. There's pics of him around here somewhere...I'll see if I can find one.

21. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Initiate (0) May 13, 2014 California

He was asleep / passed out on it for at least 30 minutes before falling over taking the garbage can with him. obvious puke stains on his arm.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  22. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Initiate (0) May 13, 2014 California

Me last year... Garbage Can in question was right behind me
    [​IMG]
    And for the record, rubber boots, PVC pants, goretex jacket, and poncho (to keep the back pack dry) is a winning combination.

23. ChiCubs78

Found "Garbage Can Guy."
    [​IMG]

#2743 ChiCubs78, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    YoDudeguy, Remobsu, FFFjunkie and 6 others like this.
  24. ChiCubs78

I had a similar setup. Stayed dry head to toe the entire event.

25. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Ohio

-TK421- and ChiCubs78 like this.
  26. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (913) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Nice photos. I'm sure those FFF shirts the workers are wearing are great for morale since they say "Minion" on them. Lol.

Warehouse pics make it look like DLD could be completely destroyed by one disgruntled employee using the forklift...

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  27. ChiCubs78

YoDudeguy and jkwuc89 like this.
  28. ChiCubs78

You'll find photos such as the "Where's my allotment guy" there.
    [​IMG]

YoDudeguy and EamonTheGreat like this.
  29. stevejames91

stevejames91 Initiate (72) Nov 21, 2012 Illinois

I honestly couldn't tell you the exact time but I think it was early afternoon, probably around 1:00 or so. It was by the stand nearest to the music tent...I believe that specific tent had Muerte and Ronaldo as well last year

30. Vitamin_Hop

Vitamin_Hop Initiate (138) Mar 26, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Does anyone else remember that guy with a beard wearing the black jacket?

jlpyp and TheKlevin like this.
  31. Narthax

Trader

Was he the guy drinking that one beer?

32. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

For those cardamom fans out there, I'll just leave this here for y'all!

[​IMG][/URL]

33. chewymangos

chewymangos Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2014 Indiana

lmao there is nothing in those inside photos that looks even slightly familiar to me and I was group C and considered myself to be okay at the time.

34. Narthax

Trader

Since we are posting what we are planning on bringing, I thought I'd enter the fray

Prairie Pirate Paradise
    Prairie Fred's Blend
    Prairie Okie Paradise
    Prairie BA Xmas Bomb
    Prairie Vanilla Noir
    Prairie Apple Brandy Noir

Side Project Pulling Nails 6
    Cantillon Iris 750
    CCB Huna 17
    Chocolate Rain
    Abraxas 17

Maybe some others. Will likely update as the event gets closer.

YoDudeguy, JRGVII, Zoomslowik and 2 others like this.
  35. Beerdudenumberone

Beerdudenumberone Disciple (317) Dec 9, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

Tickets should be shipping out now. We're in the 30 day window....

36. DoomBlasterBerry

DoomBlasterBerry Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2011 Wisconsin

General plan for sat:

7am: wake up, panicked and confused. Order Uber asap as we rise and hurry to get out of bed.

720: hopefully in line now. Our uber driver will have no idea that there’s a brewery in town or what’s going on despite living in town.

730: we’ve opened our first beers and maybe shared one with the people around us. They seem cool but are a bit wary of us as it’s still too early for anyone to be social.

740: the other people in line open some wildly rare beer in a bomber format and there’s too much so they share the rest with us. First “holy shit this is good” moment of the day.

37. DoomBlasterBerry

8am: about 8 beers tasted now, struggling to keep up with untappd and consider just using notepad or voice recorder. Breakfast tacos in hand.

820: invited to wedding by the other people in line. Lines of empty bottles are starting to line the streets.

9am: oh fuck, it isn’t just standing in line all day. the gates open and we all start pounding whatever rare beers we’re holding because for some reason you can’t go into the grounds with an open beer, but you can open all the beer you want on either side of the gate.

croush and Zoomslowik like this.
  38. DoomBlasterBerry

910 realize they let you in with a machete in your backpack while trying to get in line for beer or glassware.

more lines and beer and glassware until 1120 when we see someone drop their allotment of Dark Lord and decide to uber the shit back to the hotel before getting too crazy

39. Jzin75

Jzin75 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2017 Ohio

Hello all,been reading for quite some time,learning some and laughing a lot. I was thinking since it's cash only this year and I plan on drinking all day,are chain wallets allowed by security? Rather not lose my wallet.

40. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (913) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Yes. Unless you have a ball with spikes attached to the other end of the chain. I'd worry more about people stealing your beer then your wallet, unless you are just worried about misplacing it from a case of the stumbles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.