Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (314) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I literally had one Untappd checkin last year just to get one at the venue. I couldn't keep up with everything offered, and the rain didn't help. I also didn't want to spend the whole day on my phone. I remember a decent number somehow, but some are lost to history.

One in particular annoys me. Someone in the north line gave me a pour right when my guest called me from the south line. I made a hasty exit to go find him without drinking my sample. I finally drank it when I got there and whatever it was tasted fantastic. I had never heard of it before, have no idea where it was from, and don't have any tasting notes. It was way too late to go find the guy again, but whoever you are, thanks!

2. atkins666

atkins666 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2015 Indiana

Oddly enough, i remembered all 26 beers i tasted last year. 23 the year before that.

When you stretch out that amount of drinking over that long of a day, for some reason I can remember everything. The one thing I couldn't remember back in '15 though was where I put my housekeys after I scratched off my golden ticket. I searched all over the grounds for them.

Lo and behold, they were still in the brewery. Where I scratched my ticket and got pissed after I got a loser for the third year in a row.

JRGVII and Zoomslowik like this.
  3. Krucifictorius

Krucifictorius Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2016 Ohio

70 pages down...30 more to go. #RoadTo100

JRGVII, ChiCubs78 and Chackman151 like this.
  4. JakeT469

JakeT469 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

Yes you can bring a chain wallet, they don't give a shit. They're just making sure people aren't bringing in open alcohol, over size bags and machetes like the one @DoomBlasterBerry plans on bringing.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  5. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Ohio

I just went through my Untappd check-ins from last year. Some pretty amazing stuff in there. Notables:

Surly Todd The Axe Man: Someone brought a mini keg of this to the bottle share

Bruery Bois - Barrel Aged Strong Ale

3 Floyds Quaanto - Triple IPA

Central Waters Black Gold 2015

Goose Island Bourbon County Barleywine

18th Street Bitches Bank

Anchorage A Deal with the Devil

Bruery Mocha Wednesday

JW Lees Harvest Ale matured in Lagavulin Whisky Casks

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  6. DoomBlasterBerry

DoomBlasterBerry Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2011 Wisconsin

Not planning on bringing one, just a comment on how poorly they check bags. There was one year they stopped letting us bring in beers after a certain time, so i put a bag of pretzels over my bottles and they glanced and let me in.

7. NicholasL

NicholasL Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2015 Illinois

As I'm coming to the realization that I most likely will not get a decent variant being in C this year, what are the opinions of best vintage years?

8. MasterPenguins

MasterPenguins Initiate (0) May 16, 2014 Indiana

I am also in C, and I am willing to try any variant over picking vintages. With that being said 2011 seems to be a favorite of a lot of people. I had a 2011 a year ago, and it was great. I would avoid 2012, but that is just me.

9. EamonTheGreat

EamonTheGreat Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2014 Indiana

2012 is the worst Dark Lord ever. Any other year you're fine. 2011 and 2013 are my favorites.

10. jkwuc89

What makes 2012 something to avoid?

11. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,479) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Nate, JakeT469, eppie82 and 4 others like this.
  12. NicholasL

Yeah, it's been far too long since I've had DL.... maybe ten years. Just wanted to get a heads up from those that aren't ignorant about the vintages and avoid the possibility of getting a crap one at that (if it comes down to it).

13. core42

core42 Zealot (531) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

I may be optimistic but I'm in C also & I don't think vintages will be the best option until maybe D & into E

14. MasterPenguins

These are my thoughts as well. If I was in D or E I would be thinking about vintages I would want, but in C I feel like there will definitely be something I want.

core42 likes this.
  15. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

I'm really thinking there will be variants into group D. I'm also thinking the variants will be fewer and more solid this year. If I was in a later group last year I'd rather have had the ability to choose two vintage Dark Lord.

EamonTheGreat and MasterPenguins like this.
  16. NicholasL

Guess it will be a crap shoot at this point? See what variants make it into C and beyond and go from there.

17. MasterPenguins

Really hoping this is the case! It would be great if they just made a lot of 3 or 4 solid variants! I agree last year would've stunk to be in D or E. Luckly I was in the very front of B and still had good choices.

18. Coel

Coel Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

Last year my brother and I were group E. We ended up with Temeculan 3000 and Quit Hitting Yourself. Haven't opened either yet, debating on bringing one of them with us for a line share.

JFresh21 likes this.
  19. Zoomslowik

Trader

Unless it's a pretty terrible variant list, I would think you still have a decent chance of getting plain old bourbon in at least the first half of Group C. That's a safe and solid pick. You'll have a better idea once the list comes out.

ChiCubs78 and croush like this.
  20. Coel

I think it really depends on how many vanilla variants there are. if we have two it will definitely skew group A completely. With Group B looking for any bourbon barrel or or double barrel (not wine) variants. Group C getting cherry or the like etc

21. Zoomslowik

Trader

I don't think it's just vanilla or DB that is high-priority. Any interesting one-offs will push bourbon back a bit as well. I'm pretty sure Ronaldo ran out before bourbon, although part of that was a low bottle count. That was in a weird barrel too. Something like coconut or coffee or cherry is probably at least a push with bourbon for demand, meaning one or more of them lasts a bit longer.

22. Coel

Exactly what I was getting at, I am a group A this year but going to stand in the everybody line real early to spend the day with both of my brothers and dad. we got two group A and two group B, but the point is for us to go together. Im just going to go from the entrance line right into the bottle line knowing I can still get something fun.

23. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (382) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

The last 2 years, this strategy got you in much faster and earlier than going to the north gate, which was reccomended for group A. The north gate has been a giant cluster fuck for whatever reason. I'm not doing it again, even if I am able to snag a group A pub ticket.

ChiCubs78, here4thebeer11 and jkwuc89 like this.
  24. Coel

Good to know!! Thanks

25. here4thebeer11

here4thebeer11 Initiate (0) May 30, 2015 Indiana

Have they said anything about fixing this? This is the first yea we managed to get A tickets, and don't know what line to do. We have always done South and had pretty good luck.

26. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Initiate (151) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Yeah, I've never been to DLD and got group A, but it sounds like the south enterance is the better one so I don't know what to do.

27. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,411) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

My guess is that many people that lined up at the north gate last year and encountered that clusterfuck will now migrate to the south gate in order to avoid it, and north gate will move smoother as a result. But that's just a guess. I still plan on lining up at the north gate. Last year I showed up just before 6:30 A.M. and was ~150th or so in line. Got in pretty quickly, went right into group A line and was out of the brewery with my allotment, eating tacos before there was anyone in any of the food lines. I plan on doing same this year, except will be lining up an hour earlier to account for the earlier start time. The bottle share is awesome last year just motivated me even more to show up earlier. Was a great time.

reefer_bob likes this.
  28. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (382) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

I'm going to South Gate for the simple reason that the north gate is the line that's visable from the industrial park entrance.

Every shuttle, bus, Uber, etc will drop people off by the north gate and people be just see a Line and get in it.

I'm going south all the way.

29. YoungLad

YoungLad Initiate (133) Apr 27, 2009 Indiana

I'm tunneling in from the eastern border, to a secret door beneath the band stage.

Shhhh....

JRGVII, prg, Zoomslowik and 1 other person like this.
  30. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,486) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Are you planning your entry when James Taylor is playing his dld set?

YoungLad, prg and ChiCubs78 like this.
  31. ChiCubs78

Happy Easter Dark Lord friends.
    I'm hoping to see tickets getting mailed out this week. If that's the case shouldn't we also see the band schedule and food/festival details posted?

Beerdudenumberone and jkwuc89 like this.
  32. kodt

kodt Defender (625) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

It's by far the most cloyingly sweet one.

EamonTheGreat and ChiCubs78 like this.
  33. jkwuc89

Happy Easter
    Seconding the Happy Easter to everyone. Hope you all have the opportunity to spend the day with family and friends with a good beer or two.

Beerdudenumberone and ChiCubs78 like this.
  34. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,479) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

There is no place for such things as this in the Dark Lord Day thread for shit's sake. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now, to right the ship:

666!

JRGVII, TheKlevin, Cannonball and 4 others like this.
  35. macewank

macewank Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

Well the good news is we're about 2 weeks out from the original date so the weather reports should be getting a bit more accurate.

April 29: 69, cloudy, strong thunderstorms possible.
    May 13: 68 mostly cloudy

JRGVII and ChiCubs78 like this.
  36. JakeT469

Agreed. Fuck Easter!

prg, ChiCubs78, Bugsmcl and 2 others like this.
  37. ChiCubs78

All of the years I've been going to DLD and the tickets were always in a friend's name so I never got the welcome package. If I remember what I was told correctly the tickets come with the festival map and the sheet that has the schedule, band schedule, food and other info on it.

38. JakeT469

Negative. It doesn't come with shit.

39. Dactrius

Dactrius Poo-Bah (1,612) Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Ronaldo definitely ran out before bourbon last year since Ronaldo was out when I got my Bourbon. I'm pretty sure some people will also base their pick on what has the lowest bottle count. If they're all similar counts it won't matter, but if one is really low that seems to make it a top pick for some people.

40. Zoomslowik

Trader

Yeah, last year I just got my tickets and lanyards in a padded mailer.

FFFjunkie, ChiCubs78 and eppie82 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.