Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,416) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Seems like a perfect sting opportunity for the DLD thieves. Use a Tree House growler accordingly. Let one of the DLD thieves grab it and see how much of a hazy, juice bomb it really is. :wink:

2. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (345) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

When I clicked on that growler harness link all I could think of is "Bring out the gimp."

HouseofWortship and Jaycase like this.
  3. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

Half Acre.

4. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (315) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I wouldn't bring a growler unless it's a mega-whale. I saw plenty of people around me carrying around half empty bombers for 20 minutes, I can't imagine doing that with nearly 3 times the volume.

For that reason, I'm going to try to limit my stash to 2 or 3 bombers and several small format beers since I'm not bringing Assassin and BVDL.

kreg02 likes this.
  5. kreg02

kreg02 Disciple (364) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

too early for the what I am bringing discussion, lol I love that you brought it up though

Zoomslowik likes this.
  6. Zoomslowik

Trader

I thought about this. The problem is the thieves are just going to resell it, and then it will probably get traded at least once. The punishment will come 2 or 3 people downstream.

kreg02, croush and SeanBond like this.
  7. Zoomslowik

Trader

I didn't say I had the list done. :stuck_out_tongue:

Plus there's that little detail of getting tickets first.

kreg02 likes this.
  8. croush

croush Champion (800) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I see what you did there.

9. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (953) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Something just occurred to me, with DLD moving I think I can finally make a Short's Anniversary Party...

chewymangos likes this.
  10. chewymangos

chewymangos Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2014 Indiana

Crossed my mind as well

11. toolbrew

toolbrew Defender (638) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Trader

However unlikely it could have been, Mastodon, Eagles of Death Metal and Russian Circles, won't be playing DLD this year....they're playing a show at the Aragon that night...choices always were a problem for...me...

12. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (789) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

Dovetail is my vote. Top three brewery in the city.

vikingpillager likes this.
  13. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,093) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

That choice surprised me, since I've barely heard of them, but I looked at their beers on BA, and now I see why. I don't tend to drink more traditional German stuff that often (although I'm trying to change that). How's their vienna lager?

14. RexKramer

RexKramer Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 Illinois

What you need is someone strong to guide you.

ChiCubs78, joltinmatt and toolbrew like this.
  15. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (789) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

Amazing. May be their best beer (that or the Grodziskie...or the standard lager, which is a zwickel). They hope to eventually have "lambic" available in bottles at all times. Even if you're not a fan, you should head over. They deserve patronage for not opening up another IPA factory, and honestly German and other Old World-style beers are best experienced out of a tap as close to the source as possible.

Jaycase likes this.
  16. SeanBond

Trader

Cool, I'll check them out then. I'm very sloooowly getting into lagers and the like, but vienna malt is my shit, so that's usually where I start. I've been meaning to give them a look ever since I first heard where they were opening up.

17. ayoungtech

ayoungtech Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2015 Wisconsin

Here's your first weather forecast of the year for DLD '17.

[​IMG]

18. xxbassplayerxx

xxbassplayerxx Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2016 Kentucky

19. HouseofWortship

Trader

I'm hoping for the snow over the rain. The vouchers won't disintegrate as quick.

20. toolbrew

toolbrew Defender (638) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Trader

Got the Mastodon tickets...we'll see about DLD in the coming months.

21. SeanBond

Trader

To be frank, snow for DLD would be awesome. That's almost ideal weather for getting trashed on super high gravity beer in the most metal way possible (outside of drinking in, like, a volcano or something).

jeevo, eppie82 and RexKramer like this.
  22. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,755) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Makes the blood standout better.

HouseofWortship and SeanBond like this.
  23. vikingpillager

vikingpillager Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2017 Illinois

Dare I risk a little optimism and boldly predict that our relatively mild January so far could be indicative of nice weather in mid-May??

SeanBond likes this.
  24. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,755) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

This kind of respite actually has me scared for what comes next, at least for February and March. However, no reason not to enjoy it now. I'd like to assume May will be wonderful...lol.

25. HouseofWortship

Trader

No, the Dark Lord is owed cold and snow...he always collects.

26. SeanBond

Trader

Dude(or dudette)'s name is vikingpillager...I think they'll be okay either way. :wink:

vikingpillager likes this.
  27. Zoomslowik

Trader

Assume the worst. I'm guessing it will be like Monday when it rained all day and our yard turned into a swamp.

kreg02 and croush like this.
  28. HouseofWortship

Trader

For the sake of novelty, I'd love to see complaint of how the lines were a pain because of the huge snowdrifts.

29. beerhan

beerhan Zealot (584) Apr 28, 2010 Ohio

I will take a blizzard any day over a swamp. I want to say I went to Dark Lord Day this year and I actually brought home my shoes.

mbockstruck30 likes this.
  30. HouseofWortship

Trader

Were you the dude in shorts and flip flops?

ebe2023 and HawkeyeBeerLover like this.
  31. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (470) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Trying to think of positives to the rain...

Watching drunk people slip and fall in the mud on the tiny 3 foot slope near the shitters.
    Actually getting to hear some metal due to the cover the tent provided until my wife decided the sound was worse than the rain.
    When it was nuts to butts at the other tent, we got to know some people better than any of us would normally be comfortable with.

32. beerhan

beerhan Zealot (584) Apr 28, 2010 Ohio

Haha no way. I was wearing your average pair of dr schols slip ons (comfy for standing all day, I was gellin) and a coat with a poncho over it. I've got pictures to prove it

33. TboneRN

TboneRN Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2014 Minnesota

71 and rain? Ill take it!

HawkeyeBeerLover likes this.
  34. Alby

Alby Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2016 Florida

DLD last year was a damn blast for me even with the weather. I was traveling alone and met tons of good people that day on top of getting rickety wrecked that day. I really want to go this year but since signing up for Huna day this year, I doubt I'll be able to swing another DLD trip without raising questionable eyebrows from my SO.

That being said I got 4 extra Hunas available in exchange for some of your 2017 DLs !! And who the hell knows, maybe I'll just say f' the police and just go too !

aep and GuyFawkes like this.
  35. chicagopubcrawler21

chicagopubcrawler21 Aspirant (222) Jan 28, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Did anyone see me eat ass in a mud puddle last year? Had a hikerspack full to the brim with beer, got too drunk, fell backwards, couldnt get up. Always wanted to thank the kind samaritans who helped me to my feet. Less is more this year!

36. aep

aep Initiate (28) Nov 26, 2013 Wisconsin

The important questions though is did the beers survive?

ChiCubs78 and HawkeyeBeerLover like this.
  37. HouseofWortship

Trader

Trying to get the taste of Tiberian Inquisitor out of your mouth?

38. vikingpillager

vikingpillager Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2017 Illinois

Quick update on this--Half Acre does not fill Growlerwerks products due to prior leaking issues. They also refused to fill my Stone half growler because it's not 32oz exactly (33.8) and they did not know how to charge me (read: bad at math).

Good news is that DryHop filled both and took a few jabs at Half Acre while doing it!

39. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

I suppose jabs is all DryHop can take at Half Acre considering their product is far inferior.

Yes you are right though about growler sizes. Sometimes they dont care ie. I have filled 750's and 2L from HF without issue and sometimes they wont. I just take 64'sand 32's from other places their now.

HouseofWortship likes this.
  40. HouseofWortship

Trader

Do you take a plate to McDonalds and ask the employees to fill it up and charge you proportionally to what fits on it? I could see them throwing in the extra 1.8 ozs, they give away more than that as samples, but where do you draw the line? 35ozs containers? , 39ozs containers? 41oz containers?

Should have brought a bigger container, I'm sure DryHop would be willing to load it up with their beer as it saves on disposal costs for getting rid of it.

kreg02 and jlsims04 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.