Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Aspirant (292) May 13, 2014 California

Better than bumping uglies.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  2. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

Unless that's what they're into.
    #NotJudging

3. Eric_H

Eric_H Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2015 South Dakota

I noticed the Hampton Inn Merrillville where we found a room still has a couple room options but the price has gone up to $170ish. Now glad I didnt pass on the $125 a night we booked a month ago I guess. Its a little drive but close enough I guess. Not sure about any bottle shares in Merriville though.

4. JRGVII

JRGVII Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2015 Texas

3 more pages to go!

TheKlevin likes this.
  5. zach60614

zach60614 Initiate (0) May 1, 2012 Illinois

Hell it was supposed to have been pouring rain for the last 3 hours in Chicago based on the forecast I read this morning at like 7:30. It is sunny out and not a drop of rain.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  6. Coel

Coel Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

I am ready
    [​IMG]

DA shirt, Group A ticket, and 2 32oz growlers to smuggle DL out if I can

DrippingI, drac86, aep and 5 others like this.
  7. choder669

choder669 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2015 Ohio

This is a smart choice!! I Just drank one last night and will be bringing a good amount and its definitely still drinking great. Better than any other IPA I can get in distro now fresh or not

enoves24 and ChiCubs78 like this.
  8. ChiCubs78

Damn, you got that shirt fast. Looks like you about ready to go.

9. Coel

I went with a local t shirt place and living in a college town they churn shirts out. Also was only 20$ so cheap too

Born_A_Jee and ChiCubs78 like this.
  10. ChiCubs78

So, on a slightly more somewhat serious note, why does everybody go to Dark Lord Day? I go for the Dark Lord, the share, the people, and the experience. To say I didn't go for the Dark Lord, including the variant, would be a lie. I was super excited to get group A for once and to have my shot at getting a top variant (saying this as I have no idea what variants will be there). I'm one of those people that actually really like Dark Lord (I prefer it cellared for a bit). The share is insane to say the least. Getting to try .rar whalez I've only ever heard of is epic in and of itself. Getting to share my beers with people that have never tried them before is even better. The people...if it weren't for the people being so cool and generous I'd never have had the opportunity to sample the whales. That being said, the people can be hilarious (Garbage Can Guy, Where's My Allotment Guy, etc.) and in far fewer instances they can be a**holes (belligerent, thieving, fighting, etc.). The experience of Dark Lord Day has always been great for me. Even during the monsoons of the previous two years I've had a blast. This year I'll be looking to kick it back a notch and take it in a bit more. Maybe I'll try a few more beers from the taps and eat a few foods I've always wanted to try. I'm really hoping to meet and share beers with some of you jerks this year.

Born_A_Jee, jkwuc89, Ohiou84 and 2 others like this.
  11. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (365) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

My list of people I will NOT be offering pours of my beers has doubled this year:

1. Too-drunk trash can people
    2. Dragon Abortion t-shirt wearers

:rolling_eyes:

DrippingI, jrstar96, Egotist and 7 others like this.
  12. EamonTheGreat

EamonTheGreat Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2014 Indiana

The share, the people, and the beer (I too enjoy Dark Lord and it's variants). The generosity and beer shared is phenomenal and makes even the shittiest weather worth it.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  13. Coel

Why the hate?

I go to dark lord day because I genuinely enjoy beer. RIS have always been a favorite. Having heard about the festival awhile back I just didn't see the point of going to a fest about 1 beer at 1 brewery, little did I know. Last year I planned a trip with one of my brothers and a coworker was also going by chance, we didn't know until a few days before. I had a blast sharing beers and having conversations with people I had never met before ( hope to see you all again).

This year it's the guys in my family going. We are using it as a happy birthday dad trip. This year I look forward to being better paced. Making it through most of the day. Maybe I'll buy merchant this year, the glasses look cool.

I plan enjoy dark lord, try to get some draft variants. I go to DLD because it's fun.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  14. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (582) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana

I go to Dark Lord Day for the beer, glassware, dark matter booth, cool encounters with people, guest taps. Mainly Dark Lord and guest drafts.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  15. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Defender (634) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Damnit! The FFF totes are no longer available in the merch store.

Anyone have an extra DLD ticket?

16. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (125) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Anybody know if Chicago shuttles allow drinking on the way there?

17. ChiCubs78

I'm sure we can work out a trade. I may even have a FOBAB tote to go along with it.

18. JJH1018

JJH1018 Initiate (173) Sep 13, 2013 Illinois

This will be my third year on the open bottle shuttle. It does indeed allow drinking. Can't speak for the other services.

19. mbockstruck30

Trader

Are they different from last year's totes (if a pic has been posted, I missed it)? If not, I've got one you can have.

20. ChiCubs78

I have no idea what happened to mine from last year...or any year prior. Stuff tends to go missing when you have a 3 year old.

jrstar96 likes this.
  21. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (344) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

The chicks...Definitely the chicks.

22. mbockstruck30

Trader

I've gotten so many brewery/bottle shop totes over the years, that I tend to leave them at places just so I don't have to carry them home. I'll bring some extra to DLD so you have some to take home to your kid! :grinning:

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  23. kodt

kodt Defender (631) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah Jak's Tap, Beer Temple, Reggies, Open Bottle, etc... all allow drinking.

Jaycase, JRGVII and BeerPrince22 like this.
  24. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (315) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

You can have mine from last year if you can find it. Last seen under the south tent with some shelf turds in it.

Billy_Bars, ChiCubs78 and YoDudeguy like this.
  25. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Ohio

Can someone repost the link where we can order the DLD DA shirt?

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  26. prg

prg Initiate (47) Apr 13, 2016 Indiana

Both of them.

27. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (382) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

They all do.

I never partake myself. Just not worth it. The body has a finite amount of alcohol in take before I become trash can guy, and I always wait until the line.

28. EamonTheGreat

EamonTheGreat Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2014 Indiana

Hopefully this is on tap at DLD.... Mother of Dreadnaught (Dreadnaught Aged in Muscat Barrels.[​IMG]

29. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (125) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I'm on the 11am shuttle so thought I would catch up a little to the shit show I will enter once i get there.

Billy_Bars and JRGVII like this.
  30. jkwuc89

2nd time to DLD. 1st was last year and was very fortunate to get group A. Had to leave soon after getting my allotment due to commitments at home in Columbus. Bottle share night before at Hampton Inn down the road from brewery was AWESOME! People in north entrance line prior to festival opening were very generous with their bottles which was also awesome.

Why am I going back?
    • First and foremost: To get Dark Lord 2017 plus whatever variants/vintages are available.
    • Share this experience with my wife. There was a time not too long ago when she was definitely not a beer drinker. That has changed. She loves sours and stouts.
    • Bottle sharing the night before.
    • Bottle sharing while in line.
    • Socializing with fellow craft beer aficionados.
    • And of course, to see DRAGON ABORTION!!!!!!

31. Gumball-head

Gumball-head Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2016 Indiana

I'm just waiting for all of this Dragon Abortion talk to spill over into other threads. Before you know it this will become the official Dragon Abortion fan site.

Zoomslowik, Bugsmcl and ChiCubs78 like this.
  32. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Aspirant (207) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I honestly hate the whole experience. I'm just there on the slight possibility there are some attractive women to mack on.

33. Ohiou84

Ohiou84 Initiate (132) May 6, 2014 Ohio

You may be better off going to the grocery store.

34. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (582) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana

Or in bottles..

35. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,547) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Grocery shopping is where its at :stuck_out_tongue:

Ohiou84 likes this.
  36. RexKramer

RexKramer Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 Illinois

Let's think of places with worse odds of this happening. I'll start:

1. Rush concert

37. jkwuc89

I'll second this. Went to many Rush concerts over the years. Definitely a male dominated audience.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  38. Satch44

Satch44 Initiate (57) Sep 1, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Given this is going to be my first DLD, I need to ask a dumb question. I got group C and was looking at possibly taking the 2:00 PM shuttle back to Open Bottle. Is it even somewhat realistic to think I can get through the line in an hour to get my allotment?

39. ChiCubs78

40. Bugsmcl

Bugsmcl Initiate (196) May 2, 2016 Ohio

If I were you I'd schedule it an hour later in case its a cluster (it always is)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.