Darkness Day 2018

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by JakeJohnson, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JakeJohnson

JakeJohnson Initiate (170) Jan 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Darkness Day has been set for September 29th and will not be at their Brooklyn Center facility. They tweeted this:

2. Phyrekat

Phyrekat Initiate (73) Jan 3, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Fargodome has an event that day, they kind of admitted in the twitter thread that the Treasure City was a joke, so that leaves somewhere in Wisconsin (possibly in a collaborative release???) or on a cruise, which might be the dumbest idea ever

3. 4lokogod

4lokogod Initiate (58) Dec 8, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I'm putting my money on them having a satellite event somewhere with the main fest still being in Brooklyn Center.

With that said, Carnival Cruises has a ship with a brand new on board brewery so I could see some type of beer themed cruise collaboration.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  4. nograz

nograz Disciple (390) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

I was wondering if the international waters was a reference to the Vikings bang boat on Lake Minnetonka. I think it was Fred Smoot that made the comment about international waters in some interview, which Lake Minnetonka is no where near an international boarder or even a state line.

Either way, according to the post, we will know by Friday.

5. JakeJohnson

Trader

I have heard Somerset mentioned multiple times and Surly has sponsored events there in the past. Hopefully a love boat is still involved (or a Dante Culpepper appearance at the very least).

6. nograz

Trader

Somerset or something like that could make sense, especially the shanty town that gets errected. Though, not sure if I would bother with that drive just to go out there for the evening and without camping.

Also, not sure if it has changed as it has been some time, but Somerset police were not to be reckoned with back in the late 90s and 00s when it came to partying in and around the area.

7. macgroveguy

macgroveguy Initiate (51) Jan 22, 2015 Minnesota

Kind of cool that DD is going to travel to a different distro area every year.

KarlHungus likes this.
  8. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (244) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Wouldn't count on that. I'm guessing it's Wisconsin since (I'm assuming here) the state law will allow them to sell bottles directly to the public. Either that or find some convenient one day work around to give the appearance of it. If the law allowed them to do this at the destination brewery they'd be going that route in a heartbeat...

...then again maybe they're moving it to drum up excitement for a new audience. I know I just bought a bottle of BA Darkness just yesterday that was sitting on the shelf.

Not sure how I feel about Darkness Day being a whole month before Halloween. The whole point of the name and release date was to build it up around Halloween. Now no one will have to brave the harsh elements overnight to prove their worth.

9. nograz

Trader

Hearing rumors that it may turn into a beer festival with entry fee, which could explain it moving to Wisconsin if that is in fact the landing spot.

Should be interesting as they release details.

10. JakeJohnson

Trader

It will be interesting to see what Wisconsin laws Surly takes advantage of. If anyone brings their kids to legally bottle share with them, it will be an eventful evening.

11. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (450) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

By evening, you mean a ticketed day event?

12. Xanthophhyll

Xanthophhyll Initiate (28) Sep 25, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Too bad, Darkness Day in Royalton would be the biggest event since they installed that stoplight-from-hell in that town.

13. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,199) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Since that's when I am usually on my fall Lake of the Woods fishing trip, I strongly support an international waters event in Baudette.

Ok, I know it will never happen, It's a dream as a result of pounding down a bottle of BA Darkness at the Baudette Motel.

KarlHungus and maximum12 like this.
  14. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,199) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Royalton, the home of Jim Langer and the St.Cloud Superman.

barrybeerdog and Xanthophhyll like this.
  15. JakeJohnson

Trader

I actually have no idea how bottle sharing will work if it turns into an invitational or even a ticketed event. I’m normally too hungover on Darkness Day to drink much, but it’s fine because I only need to survive the music long enough to get bottles.

maximum12 likes this.
  16. JMN44

JMN44 Initiate (171) Sep 19, 2013 Minnesota

It will be interesting to see what kind of an event Surly is planning. If it is a beer festival, I could see it being similar to the Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Fest where Surly invites breweries from across the country that may not normally be found in MN/WI. However, a big outdoor fall beer festival only 2 weeks after ABR may not make the MN Brewers Guild too happy.

Therefore, I predict a heavy metal concert/event in WI for 2018 Darkness Day. That would be an easy event to skip for me due to the music, distance, and the fact that you can buy as many bottles of regular or BA Darkness as you want to now at your neighborhood liquor store without waiting in lines or rushing to buy.

BigIslandfarmer and Boldbrew like this.
  17. dbhammel

dbhammel Initiate (85) Oct 24, 2016 Minnesota

It will be interesting if Surly learns any lessons from Darkness bottles turning into shelf turds and rethinks their platform for this beer. IMHO Darkness should be a 12 or 16 oz packaged in 4 packs with regular availability and BA Darkness should be the large format special release. I've noticed all of their large format stuff just sitting on shelves all around town, I hope they learn from this and adjust their approach. They still make good beer, most of which is available at the brewery, but are otherwise being outpaced my several newer places around town.

18. eggsurplus

eggsurplus Initiate (92) Nov 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

No cans. Small bottles = ok. Rarely like a canned stout.

pmccallum86, gudbrande and Boldbrew like this.
  19. dbhammel

dbhammel Initiate (85) Oct 24, 2016 Minnesota

Sure, bottles are generally better for long term aging than cans, but we have seen more and more stouts in cans lately. But the point of my comment was packaging size, not material.

eggsurplus and Boldbrew like this.
  20. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,642) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

This might be the dumbest Twitter "tease" I've ever seen. But on the other hand, we're all talking about Surly, so it seems to have succeeded.

Take away the epic bottle shares & sub it in with an expensive festival...it would at least be interesting to see what kind of reaction that would garner. Personally, unless Surly brings in some true heavy-hitters from our of state, or does something interesting with Darkness variants, I can't see myself traveling to another state for D-Day.

Boldbrew and biniek13 like this.
  21. npachl

npachl Disciple (388) Apr 10, 2015 Wisconsin

22. cl3

cl3 Disciple (340) Aug 16, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Word on the street s that Pitchfork (Hudson) is moving into that spot.

23. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,083) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

Bombers/750's are a dying form of packaging. The vast majority of beer drinkers haven't been purchasing them with any frequency for years. Enough stores have picked up on this, and I think the feed back they're giving breweries through the act of being very selective in carrying this form of packaging is finally being taken to heart. I was talking to the regional Odell rep last week. He said they recently sold their large format bottling line, because they no longer see a market beers in that format. I'm not saying Surly's going to follow suit, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they did.

Also, I would gladly welcome year round Darkness in 12oz cans. I'm not a Surly fanboy, nor am I a hater, but that beer is one of the best viscousy, non-adjunct Russian Imperial Stouts out there.

24. brewnic

brewnic Aspirant (251) Oct 7, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

Agree, but they are going to take a cut on the profit on the beer. A 4 pack of 12oz is about 2 750s. Now cans are much cheaper than the bottles they use. What could they price that would make you pick some up? $20 a 4 pack is a big cut from what they sold it at even with changing to a cheaper container. $25, $30 a pack not sure if that helps sell the beer. EOM, the price point on it for a Non-BA beer is way too high now days.

25. BigIslandfarmer

BigIslandfarmer Aspirant (265) Sep 30, 2016 Minnesota

It should be around the same price as Expedition, FIS, Old Rasputin, etc. Twenty bucks would be the most I would pay, $16-$17 would be ideal. Fargo Brewing's RIS was sold for $10.99 a four pack & flew off the shelves...Will they continue to make as much profit if they continue what they are doing now? I'm seeing Darkness, both BA & regular, still sitting on the shelves of every liquor store I go to around here.

Cheers!

JMN44 and Chaz like this.
  26. eggsurplus

Trader

Sick brag. BA is nearly impossible to find north of the cities.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  27. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (7,694) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Lambeau Field FTW! :grin:

28. BigIslandfarmer

BigIslandfarmer Aspirant (265) Sep 30, 2016 Minnesota

Cashwise liquors in Moorhead had a ton a week ago, Lakes Liquor, in Detroit Lakes, had a shelf full a couple days ago. It's been a couple weeks since I've been to my normal stops in Fargo, but last time I was there they all had BA.

Victory_Sabre1973 and eggsurplus like this.
  29. eggsurplus

Trader

Nice. I wouldn't say this is indicative of less demand for BA. It still doesn't last long in the TC metro area and for good reason. One of the few beer benefits of being out-state.

maximum12 and BigIslandfarmer like this.
  30. SudsSavant

Trader

Seeing as how Surly increases the amount of Darkness every year and it's likely the 2018 Darkness Day is going to be in Wisconsin, dare I say all that extra Darkness is going in to the Apple River for some epic river tubing?

...Sorry, I've been spending too much time reading up on the Dark Lord thread.

31. Nivek43

Nivek43 Initiate (101) Mar 22, 2012 Minnesota

Which group is best for variants?

32. JakeJohnson

Trader

Surly might finally have a venue large enough to book Dragon Abortion.

33. fargofallout

fargofallout Initiate (56) Nov 30, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

Huh. They're actually doing variants with this new festival. I'm intrigued. I wonder if the variants will be available outside of the festival.

34. Boldbrew

Boldbrew Initiate (137) Jun 26, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

I wonder if the variants will be barrel aged....

35. user8991037426712693

user8991037426712693 Initiate (87) May 19, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Very well said. But it's very nice to see they are finally doing variants. That gets my attention and I otherwise would have passed on the event altogether.

Also, it wold be nice if they brought in some of those out of state heavy hitters to make the festival more interesting.

Victory_Sabre1973 and Boldbrew like this.
  36. SudsSavant

Trader

Any takers for my bottle of Fernet aged Darkness that I'm sure I'll end up with as my variant?

37. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,083) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

What are people's experiences with the non-Darkness Day events that Surly has thrown in the past (e.g. concerts in the field, other fests)? I've only been to a couple of their Day After Surly Fest industry parties, and they have been run really well. The crowds were on the smaller side though so more easy to manage.

I'm actually contemplating going to Darkness Day this year if the crowd is managed in an organized fashion. I really dislike big, unorganized crowds. However, with an actual camp ground and real concert venue I might gather a group and join in if Surly has a track record of putting on events well.

Boldbrew and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  38. Benj68

Benj68 Initiate (49) Apr 9, 2015 Minnesota

I went to the Father John Misty/Tennis Festival Field show last summer and it was very well run. Lines for everything were minimal and getting beer was quick and easy. Considering some of the big headliners they're bringing in this summer for that concert series, they seem to know what they're doing.

39. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,642) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Absolutely. I loved that stuff on cask!

GeneralBurden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.