Darwin Beer Festival

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by mungus, Jun 25, 2013.

1. mungus

mungus Oct 19, 2010 Australia

Probably pretty unexciting stuff for you spoilt southerners, however pretty awesome for us up here.

First of its kind in Darwin - my only concern is what the brewers are going to tell people who say "This beer is awesome, how do I get more?".

Still exciting though - https://www.darwinbeerfestival.com.au/

joecast likes this.
  2. Darwin553

Darwin553 Jan 5, 2009 Australia

Looks pretty good.

3. Lukie

Lukie Jun 16, 2007 Australia

Looks better then every single beer festival that has ever been in Perth or south of us.

sinkas likes this.
  4. mungus

the scene south of perth is pretty dead though

5. sinkas

sinkas Jul 9, 2008 Australia
    Beer Trader

Yeh Why are there no WA festivals, not even a ghey WA beer week this year
    FFS we manage to have a "Chilli festival" whay no beer festival

6. Darwin553

Darwin553 Jan 5, 2009 Australia

Could it be that Darwin is seen to be an emerging market and Perth is already established as to why there may be no plans for a WA festival (or Queensland for that matter :() ?

7. sinkas

Beer Trader

I rmember Sticklbract saying ages ago, that most WA craft brewers were very opposed to having public exposed to properly brewed beer in WA

8. Lukie

If the chilli festival is anything to go by, I hope we never have a beer festival again.

9. sinkas

Beer Trader

what wrong with it?

10. foles

foles Jan 28, 2007 Australia

Perth coffee scene is exploding in the CBD, but craft beer is on the decline. I've been saying this about beer for years now. When did the last independent brewery open in the metro area? Priced out by imports and taxed out by the government.

Been drinking more espresso than beer lately. The coffee shops (Ristretto, Maven, Lowdown etc) are unrestricted, passionate & cool in a way I want my beer venues to be!

11. Lukie

Problem is those who open up bars and the like aren't interested in craft beer the same way we are. They are more interested in cool wine cellars and pre-prohibition cocktails.

12. foles

Agree, but they aren't even interested in those things. They are just rich business people who own another 10 bars, and know yuppies like those things and have plenty of disposable income to waste. I.e. cash cow.

The passionate people who want to open simple uncomplicated taphouses (like in the US and even in Melbourne) can't because its too expensive and riddled with alcoholic red tape. Who can afford to wait 12 months for approval for a liquor license while your costs are mounting up ?

13. spicelab

spicelab Nov 6, 2009 Australia
    Beer Trader

Wow I thought Sydney was bad. That sounds woeful.

14. Lukie

Like me.

15. CarlisleWineBin

CarlisleWineBin Jul 8, 2008 Australia

Don't worry to much Perth guys, I've got some WA Beer Week plans on the go, should be pretty good if executed the way I want!!

16. foles

like you as in the yuppie (substitute Corona for cocktails), or like you the passionate wannabe bar owner ?

17. Lukie

The first one. Just make me a Corona Manhattan!

18. sinkas

Beer Trader

Lukie drives a X1 BMW has a massive breitling watch and wears a Tiffany charm band and was involved in developing gage roads el nino

19. Lukie

All true.

joecast likes this.
  20. mulder1010

mulder1010 Aug 29, 2008 Australia

Really nice list of brewers and beers. Quite impressed

21. CromDubh

CromDubh May 17, 2009 Australia

Overall a positive event. The place was heaving and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and talking about the different beers they were tasting. No beer swilling Darwinians asking where the XXXX was. The cooking shows were interesting, especially from Mercurio and the organisation was fine. Being Darwin it was expensive and not being able to relax with a full bottle you really like was a minus. The only other issue is that quite a few of the stalls (Mash, Moo etc) are manned by local bar staff - basically selling the beer but knowing nothing about it. Feral share Australian Brewers stall and only had Raging Flem with an A4 piece of paper describing it. Those that made more of an effort with their own people, displays etc were very busy - in particular Otway/Prickly Moses, Boneyard and Grand Ridge. Anyway. I'm back again today. Events like this have to be supported in Darwin and there are some fine beers I have yet to partake of.

spicelab likes this.
  22. mungus

Definitely an awesome event. Saturday was packed to the point where it was hard to move, and Sunday still had good numbers. Lots of good beers and many great brewers - as Crom said some of the local servers didn't know much about the beer they were selling (but were generally very nice to look at). Really great attitude with most of the crowd getting right into their craft.

Only a couple gripes. One was the ever changing value of the beers - several beers were shifting from one token to two tokens, then back to one, with no real explanation of why. Also on the Sunday security were confiscating tasting glasses as you left, which left a bit of a bad taste.

But in spite of that still a tremendous success and I will definitely be getting VIP tix next year!

23. CromDubh

CromDubh May 17, 2009 Australia

Yep, I found Sunday better as less crowded and you could have a chat with the brewers/servers. And I'm sure Prancing Pony sold a lot more beer than expected because of their servers... The confiscation of glasses was apparently due to a couple of dicks throwing and smashing them outside the venue on Saturday night so security were under orders. Best beers for me were Murray's Libertine French Ale and Holgate / Nogne O's Half a World Away - but I didn't have a beer that I really didn't like.

24. mungus

For me the Prickly Moses Raconteur IPA and Dr's Orders Intravenous Black IPA were up there.

Also the Mountain Goat/Brooklyn Hopfweizenbock was awesome

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe