DC/MD/NoVA Beer Updates (2017)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by ArlVABeerGuy, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (575) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

Couldn't tell you - I only work at this one. Probably all DC ones, but you'd have to call.

2. harbinger

harbinger Initiate (67) Jan 30, 2015 District of Columbia

BA Ten Fidy ar Hop, Cask, and Barrel, and presumably elsewhere.

3. grover37

grover37 Meyvn (1,298) Nov 14, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

No GBS at TJ14 yet, lame.

4. Snicht

Snicht Initiate (49) May 8, 2017 Maryland
    Trader

Do only certain TJs get bourbon GBS? Fairfax only has regular as of right now.

5. hoosurnurse05

hoosurnurse05 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2015 Virginia

Norm's in Vienna is a go-to for some of the more obscure things--they email out Thursday with what they will have available on the rare front....they have the Sierra Nevada Fresh Hop Pack - $18.99 for the 12 pack - couple of good things on tap for growler fills (Brothers/Aslin Goodwin IPA)

6. swampwanderer

swampwanderer Initiate (40) Apr 8, 2017 Virginia

Is it still available there?

7. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (575) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

My knowledge and influence don't go that far up the chain, LOL.

8. CSpoons

CSpoons Initiate (158) Nov 13, 2012 Maryland

Maple Bourbon Biscotti Cake Break available at Downtown Crown in Gaithersburg. They want $52 for it though lol.

9. Snicht

Trader

We have it up in baltimore for about 40. My friends split a bottle and while it's heads and shoulders above regular cake break it definitely doesnt deserve that price point

10. hoosurnurse05

If anyone is looking still (I know, way old) Wegmans in Fairfax has Born Yesterday still. Also they have GBS--limit 2 per person but tons available

11. hoosurnurse05

Norms in Vienna isn't too awful price wise--great staff and will try to order just about anything they can get their hands on for you (both beer and wine wise--there was no limit when I had them get a wine I was looking for)

Norms

12. rae24

rae24 Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2015 District of Columbia

Is CBC the only shop that received Evil Twin Wabi Sabi IPA?

13. hoosurnurse05

MOMs in Mosaic in Merrifield has it

14. spontaneously_fermented

spontaneously_fermented Initiate (69) Nov 1, 2017 Virginia

Little late but MOMs in Arlington has Bell's Black Note as of this week

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  15. grover37

Society Trader

WFH had four packs of Black Note for $27, best price I've seen. Couple of cases left of both GBS and Bourbon at TJ Eastern Mkt ($10 and $14).

16. PComninaki

PComninaki Initiate (84) Jul 31, 2010 Virginia

you can get a black note four pack? my how things have changed. props to the OG BA stouts that used to have people lined up and chasing trucks.

props to the new breweries that were inspired and ran away with it.

BrownBottle likes this.
  17. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (345) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

I'd buy a 4pk of BN for $28, but I don't think it's worth $10 a bottle, or worth hunting at all. Since there are still big areas where there's no Bell's, I assume it still trades well, but barring that, not sure of the hype. I hung onto 2 of the 2012 one for 2yrs and it really melted into nothing special, meanwhile my Expeditions and 30ths get more and more amazing, and were so much cheaper.

::checks again for when I can pick up my $30 BT bottles::

18. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (807) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

WFH still has Black Note 4 packs, also Right Proper Raised by Wolves sixer cans (11/8) for $9.99, and saw BA Ten Fidy cans (24 oz?)

19. polopaul20

polopaul20 Devotee (419) May 9, 2011 Maryland
    Trader

Rodmans still had some BA Ten Fidy cans left late afternoon yesterday. Around 16$ each

20. starrdogg

starrdogg Crusader (786) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

It was $40 at CBC too. I'm guessing that was just retail price. I bought one and it was quite good, but definitely wouldn't need another one at that price.

Drankenstein likes this.
  21. swampwanderer

Hey thanks for that post! Does anyone know when BA Ten Fidy will hit northern VA?

22. swampwanderer

Hey All,

Is this available in northern VA?

23. dennisdrinks

dennisdrinks Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2017 Maryland

We just got a case of BA Ten Fidy at Yes! Eastern Market, yesterday.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  24. Slack

Slack Savant (923) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Arrowine on Friday for $40

25. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Meyvn (1,349) Nov 27, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

Any sightings of BA Ten Fidy around Arlington?

26. Rorshak16

Rorshak16 Initiate (40) Oct 18, 2016 Maryland

Or Bmore?

27. Topease

Topease Initiate (80) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

Wine Source had them last week. For the county, Total Wine Towson had a bunch yesterday

28. Snicht

Trader

Still a ton all over the place. Know wine source got like 10 cases. Just ask the guy at the growler bar.

29. Snicht

Trader

Anybody know what bcbs variants are hitting Md/ nova. Know dc is getting northwoods and coffee but I'm not sure if anything other than regular and bw are making it to anywhere in md or va

30. Slack

Slack Savant (923) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Coffee made it to NoVA the last 2 years, wouldnt expect anything different this year.

No idea on the others, maybe one of the larger batches?

31. damasta414

damasta414 Initiate (49) Mar 7, 2017 Wisconsin

Just went there an grabbed a few. Thanks. Only $13. Had some other hidden gems there too.

32. Rorshak16

Rorshak16 Initiate (40) Oct 18, 2016 Maryland

Honeygo near White Marsh is getting regular only. 2 per person. I wouldn't expect much different around Baltimore at least.

33. grover37

Society Trader

WFP might be picking it back up. They had Black Note, BA Ten Fidy ($13.5), and Velvet Merkin behind the bar. DCB's ADM 5, Two Roads Two Juicy, and GBS on tap. GBS ($11) and Bourbon GBS ($15) bottles aplenty - not much else of note in the regular beer section though..

34. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (277) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

35. grover37

Society Trader

^ I though t that was strange too - maybe because it's a collaboration with Burial? Got the half pour on HH for $5, and nothing about it explained why it was that expensive. Gross, grassy flavor FTR.

Also, on a potentially related note, since the POS breach, they have switched to the system where they just ring you up after each sale and don't give you the chance to tip (as opposed to the previous and more traditional method of keeping a tab). I also noticed the prices went up around the same time, potentially to make up for the lack of tips (?). Eg, BCBS went from $10 to $12 I believe.

36. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (345) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Couple notes on WF (worked there though it was some time ago, but these -were- the policies)

Draft prices were literally a formula: $84 sixtel- get the dollar per ounce- plug in Target margin- multiply out for pour sizes and growlers- round up to nearest $xx.99. There was literally a spreadsheet to do it. It was either Bois or the one before, $500 sixtel- ah yes that will be a $22 8oz pour. Same with Uncle Jacobs. If you price things that way, it doesn't make sense to bring certain beers in, like high price kolsch.

Tipping- where I was this not on CC bills at all, there was a lot of disagreement about it. Whoever worked at the bar got the same pay they would have if they had been slicing cheese, stocking grocery etc. They definitely didn't raise prices when they took off tips (more likely got a new target margin or formula sheet).

That's great WFP is trying again. It only takes one person with a minor interest to bring in good stuff and sift through the junk the wholesalers are pushing. IFF the corporate strategy is permitting new items to be added to system, and they are not strict on the purchase/sales ratio. As much as WFP used to amaze when Randy was there they had an insane amount of dollar inventory. He was likely doing favors that he expected returned, but $50 barrel aged ciders are not typically flying off the shelf.

Sip404 and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  37. spontaneously_fermented

spontaneously_fermented Initiate (69) Nov 1, 2017 Virginia

Looks like New Belgium La Folie - Geisha landed at Total Wine - Ballston. $60.

38. grover37

Society Trader

Ha! I would be shocked if it's worth half that. Do people actually care about this? (Sounds gross.)

39. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (807) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

L-O-L

40. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,327) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

If you ask for it, barrel aged Three Philosophers and Unibroue's Blonde De L'Enfer are behind storage at Whole Foods Foggy Bottom.

Barrel aged Ten Fidy, GBS, Regular GBS, are still on the shelf also.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.