DC/MD/NoVA Beer Updates (2017)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by ArlVABeerGuy, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myst

Myst Aspirant (278) Dec 13, 2011 Maryland

Few bottles of BCBS at Yes organic market eastern market. $11.99 per. No limit.

2. PComninaki

PComninaki Initiate (84) Jul 31, 2010 Virginia

6 years later I got my CBS bottle....meh

3. Shane87

Shane87 Initiate (38) Apr 7, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

CBS was still available at Georgetown Wine and Spirits last night.

Said he mat do a tasting today a noon if any are left.

Long shot, but anyone see Regal lately? Closest I can get to another bottle of Northwoods, and that shit was fantastic!

4. coquet

coquet Initiate (104) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

For anyone still looking, Harry's said they would start selling CBS at 2:00 today.

5. Kirkles

Kirkles Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2008 District of Columbia

Nothing ever lives up to the hype

6. cp45

cp45 Meyvn (1,257) Nov 20, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Any Bourbon GBS still available in Northern Virginia?

7. Slack

Slack Savant (924) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Any bourbon county barleywine still floating around NoVA?

8. Slack

Trader

Wegmanns Woodbridge as of yesterday

swampwanderer and cp45 like this.
  9. gunpwdr

gunpwdr Initiate (150) Feb 7, 2013 Virginia

Harris Teeter in Stone Ridge/Aldie (Village Center Plaza) had three cases on the floor earlier this morning. $12.99/btl with VIC card.

10. erik_c

erik_c Initiate (18) Dec 31, 2012 District of Columbia

My take on CBS -- waste of $30. It was thin, all coffee, no bourbon or maple syrup. Doesn't live up to even a small percentage of expectations. Sigh.

Prince_Casual and Sip404 like this.
  11. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (807) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

No beer is worth $30

cysiam and BikeChef like this.
  12. gpd5

gpd5 Initiate (19) Jun 4, 2016 Virginia
    Trader

Was there a little earlier today and didn't see GBS of any sort, even regular.
    They do have quite a bit of reg BCBS left, and also had two BA Ten Fidys.

cp45 likes this.
  13. swampwanderer

swampwanderer Initiate (40) Apr 8, 2017 Virginia

So TRUE. finally a,voice of reason. I dont like to hate but I feel I pissed off all my beer friends who thought it was da shit when it was just barely above shit. easily most overrated beer in quite some time. I think it was a product of nostalgia. doesnt taste like anything. founders did an awful job this year with their kbs and now,cbs. I think they mass produced way too much and in tje process lost their touch. kbs and cbs were bettr. I feel so terrible because I love Founders but this was really bad. its a boring beer with a slight sweetness at the end. didnt taste like much or had mucj complexity

14. Slack

Trader

Apologies for the lack of clarity - I asked for it and recieved a bottle. I asked if they had more but was told 1 pp. Recommend calling them and possibly the one in Fairfax.

15. Auburn_tigers

Auburn_tigers Initiate (45) Feb 28, 2015 Virginia

Founders rocks. You’re crazy. Got at Wegmans fairfax today by the way. 1 less bottle is avail as some douche dropped a bottle on his way out. I almost pushed him out of the way. The aroma was so good. Didn’t have 2017 yet but had at the brewery about 2 years ago and it was amazing.

Franch likes this.
  16. grover37

grover37 Meyvn (1,301) Nov 14, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

I thought KBS was great this year, as always, but CBS wasn't significantly better/different.

b-mc-g likes this.
  17. coquet

Trader

I loved KBS this year. Incredibly balanced right out of the gate, and probably my favorite vintage in recent memory. I had another bottle a few nights ago, and the coffee had definitely started to fade. I'll probably try to polish off the rest of my stash before the new year.

I'm drinking CBS right now, and I would say it's very different. Sure, it's got abundant coffee, chocolate, and vanilla in the mix, just like KBS, but the maple syrup sweetness is dominant at all temperatures I've experienced. It's damn tasty, but, as a coffee junkie, I think KBS is more my cup o' tea.

thomas2357 likes this.
  18. starrdogg

starrdogg Crusader (786) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Interesting, I thought they were incredibly different and liked KBS a lot more. CBS was just so sweet this time around, something I really don’t remember about this beer from past experiences. I’ve got another bottle, so if someon who didn’t get get one is interested, hit me up and maybe we can work something out.

19. spontaneously_fermented

spontaneously_fermented Initiate (69) Nov 1, 2017 Virginia

Coffee BCBS on tap at WFH, got a keg on late

20. b-mc-g

b-mc-g Initiate (188) Mar 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Just as Vinnie Cilurzo coined “lupulin threshold shift” there should be something similar in the vein of barrel aged stouts. People seem so attuned to the adjunct stouts that they’re not enjoying CBS. While this is technically an adjunct stout it’s one with barrel character first and foremost and I think they did an awesome job.
    Looking forward to having it on tap this week.

For anyone looking to really geek out this podcast on Founders barrel program is pretty cool and impressive when you hear what they’re doing.
    http://www.stealthisbeer.com/episodes/2017/9/25/episode-128-jason-heystek-founders-brewing

gpd5 and harbinger like this.
  21. Sip404

Sip404 Initiate (84) Feb 27, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

Last night, I tried one of the two bottles I kept around from this year’s vintage and was sorely disappointed. No coffee, some raw barrell, and no real bourbon notes. I’m going to try to nab some CBS but this experience has burned me pretty bad. I really like KBS but had never kept it for months to see what happens. Pretty disappointing considering how long some people cellar it.

22. spontaneously_fermented

spontaneously_fermented Initiate (69) Nov 1, 2017 Virginia

I could be wrong, but doesn't cellaring a beer with coffee notes generally kill the coffee flavor?

SFP04, b-mc-g and BrownBottle like this.
  23. Sip404

Trader

I wasn’t aware. Either way, pretty disappointed with my experiment.

24. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (265) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

Yes! in Petworth has all the latest Burial drops (Surf Wax, Ceremonial, Scythe and one other that I forget). They generally have a great selection there, btw— for both bottles/cans and growlers.

25. Myst

Myst Aspirant (278) Dec 13, 2011 Maryland

As of 4pm today Rodman’s still has bcbs and barlywine. Also no more hardywood gbs on shelf

Slack likes this.
  26. Topease

Topease Initiate (80) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

CBS reached Total Wine Towson. $29.99 1pp. Behind the front desk.

Sip404 and mig100 like this.
  27. Sip404

Trader

WF Springfield still unsure if they will receive CBS but they’ll know once their shipment gets in around 1 pm. Line it up folks

28. coquet

Trader

Abraxas at TW Alexandria and Springfield ($25).

29. Shane87

Shane87 Initiate (38) Apr 7, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

Beers and Cheers in Germantown got CBS in today.

They want $50 a bottle.

I liked that bottleshop, but I’m never stepping foot in that place again after this.

30. Gumbo_gravy

Gumbo_gravy Aspirant (202) Jan 31, 2015 District of Columbia
    Trader

That's outrageous. I'll keep that in mind when I'm out in Mo Co. I'll be sure to steer clear.

31. grover37

grover37 Meyvn (1,301) Nov 14, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

Bluejacket just announced a reserve society.

Gumbo_gravy likes this.
  32. scottDC

scottDC Aspirant (261) Jul 3, 2013 District of Columbia

And cans! Their beers are all over the place, but cans of Lost Weekend and Forbidden Planet would be great.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  33. ThePetrus

ThePetrus Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2017 Virginia

Confirmed. McLean as well.

34. Gumbo_gravy

Gumbo_gravy Aspirant (202) Jan 31, 2015 District of Columbia
    Trader

Interesting... Can't decide if this is a good move or not. I would say their beers have been getting better over the years.

BrownBottle likes this.
  35. polopaul20

polopaul20 Devotee (419) May 9, 2011 Maryland
    Trader

Yeah, I guess it just doesn't seem like they sell out of anything very quickly. Their barrel aged stuff has been good though, and price isn't terrible for 12 bottles. Interested to see what they do in the next year

Gumbo_gravy likes this.
  36. Sip404

Trader

Went to the anni and got burned pretty badly by how bad the BA stuff was. I’d rather spend the money on Aslin, Veil, Tired Hands, New England trips, etc

Jhurley1 and Gumbo_gravy like this.
  37. polopaul20

polopaul20 Devotee (419) May 9, 2011 Maryland
    Trader

Both Transistor and BA Double Mexican Radio were very good, but have had mixed feelings on much of their other beer. Hadn't heard much positive or negaitve about the anniversary event

Gumbo_gravy likes this.
  38. Sip404

Trader

I should say that I certainly like a number of their beers but too many of the “limited” anni specifici beers were overly sweet and boozy messes. I really prefer their sours.

Gumbo_gravy likes this.
  39. ArlVABeerGuy

ArlVABeerGuy Disciple (381) Feb 23, 2012 Virginia
    Society Trader

Ballston as well.

40. starrdogg

starrdogg Crusader (786) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Every time I think this is the case, they turn around and disappoint me. For example, over the summer I had a glass of Turning Road that was, by far, the best IPA I've had from them to-date, just outstanding. I recommended it to several friends who also agreed. Two months later, I went back and they had a new batch of Turning Road on tap, so of course I ordered it, and it didn't taste like it was even the same beer! It was fine, but definitely more run-of-the-mill mediocre Bluejacket IPA than the beer I'd had two months earlier. This is pretty much a microcosm of my experience with Bluejacket since they've opened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.