DC/MD/NoVA Beer Updates (2018)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Slack, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (100) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

Going in the old Villa Mozart spot in city of Ffx.

2. grover37

grover37 Meyvn (1,289) Nov 14, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

List looks good, but a lot of them are $1/oz and up in 8 or 12oz pours that shouldn't be that pricey. 8oz of GLBC Blackout for $7? No, thank you..

3. beerman2017

Trader

Anyone heard any details on Ocelot can release? Supposed to release Talking Backwards on Thursday, but I haven't seen if that's at open.

4. LanguedocRocks

LanguedocRocks Initiate (178) Aug 21, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

According to their Instagram post, the release is at 1 pm.

VABA likes this.
  5. beerman2017

Trader

Awesome-thanks!

6. eastie

eastie Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2018 District of Columbia

A little birdy told me that cans of Heady Topper can be found at Boundary Stone in DC if you ask the bartender nicely. Not sure how long the supply will last.

7. harbinger

harbinger Initiate (67) Jan 30, 2015 District of Columbia

Prairie Pirate Bomb, Pirate Noir, Bourbon Paradise, Vanilla Noir all at Calvert Woodley, 1 per, I think $11,99

Gumbo_gravy and b-mc-g like this.
  8. Auburn_tigers

Auburn_tigers Initiate (39) Feb 28, 2015 Virginia

Only 100 cases avail if you’re not in line by 11am. Don’t bother. I love Ocelot but they should’ve made double that amount

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  9. b-mc-g

b-mc-g Initiate (181) Mar 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

They did the same thing last year in completely underestimating. A bit frustrating. I understand they like to do one-offs etc, but if you make a beer people love and have the ability to sell a bunch of it then why don't you.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  10. beerman2017

Trader

Good to know. Won't waste my time then. Thanks.

11. Gumbo_gravy

Gumbo_gravy Aspirant (202) Jan 31, 2015 District of Columbia
    Trader

Is it really gonna go that fast?

12. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (274) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I'm going to guess that since this is your first post, you are likely affiliated with the establishment. How much are you overcharging?

13. NCbeer

NCbeer Initiate (107) Sep 6, 2012 North Carolina

We are heading to DC tomorrow for a long weekend. We normally go to Churchkey at least once. Any other good bars we should try this time around? We are staying close to Logan Circle. Also, any good IPA's worth picking up. We are taking the train this time, but are fine with taking Lyft.

14. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia

I think it sold pretty fast last year but it was also one case per person, 500 bottles total (~20 cases). I'd be surprised if they go through 100 cases tomorrow but definitely possible.

VABA likes this.
  15. Gumbo_gravy

Gumbo_gravy Aspirant (202) Jan 31, 2015 District of Columbia
    Trader

@i_run_far My thoughts were the same I mean I can see it selling out. Just not in less than 2 hours.

16. eastie

eastie Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2018 District of Columbia

Long time lurker, first time poster. No affiliation with the place other than it's my local, but thanks for the supposition.

VTnerf and jmasher85 like this.
  17. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Zealot (596) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Society Industry

You are not at all far from Adams Morgan, tons of good spots there. Start at Smoke & Barrel, hit Black Squirrel, then Jack Rose. They are all on the same side of the street. Also across the way is Roofers Union.

b-mc-g, NCbeer and Gumbo_gravy like this.
  18. Snicht

Snicht Initiate (45) May 8, 2017 Maryland
    Trader

Bourbon paradise gone at cw but still some at magruders

b-mc-g likes this.
  19. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (3,730) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

Just curious, are they six-packs or four-packs?

20. b-mc-g

b-mc-g Initiate (181) Mar 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Lost & Found is a short walk and usually has a really solid selection too. But generally speaking, if you're looking for multiple good places in a small radius then I would go with the aforementioned in Adams Morgan.

21. i_run_far

4 packs, $17 each, 12 cans per person

VABA likes this.
  22. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (3,730) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

Sounds reasonable.

Thanks!

23. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (859) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

Sorry you didn't get a better welcome. Thanks for the info!

VTnerf, shelflife, Dirtyhands and 4 others like this.
  24. i_run_far

They packaged 5x more than they did last year and there will not be 200+ people in line at 11am when they open at 1. If there is, it will be a shit show as they only have 1 POS (that I'm aware of anyway), so getting through 200 transactions will take a couple hours.

Gumbo_gravy likes this.
  25. rwhyland

rwhyland Initiate (16) Feb 5, 2017 Virginia

I live nearby and this is my second year in line. Got there right at opening both years. This year was much more organized with one line that moved fairly quickly. I was out of there with my 12 cans in 30mins. Looks like they had no line around 3pm, sold out at 4:30 according to their instagram. Overall a similar buying experience to Aslin, just less cases of only one canned beer.

26. Slack

Slack Savant (903) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Stopped in at Arrowine tonight and missed out on Bourbon Paradise but they did have Noir, vanilla noir, and pirate noir along with some Dino Smores, Commonwealth Marvoloso, and American Solera bottles.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  27. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (859) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

Dominion's been getting a lot of Prairie these days, both bottles and on tap.

ArlVABeerGuy, Gumbo_gravy and Slack like this.
  28. starrdogg

starrdogg Crusader (786) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Does anyone know if there's any Singlecut Punk with the Stutter still around town? I missed it at my usual spot (CBC) and don't know how widespread this drop was. Thanks!

29. coquet

coquet Initiate (103) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I stopped by CBC shortly before closing tonight, and they definitely still had it. You could probably call them around opening tomorrow and get them to hold a 4-pack for you.

starrdogg likes this.
  30. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,156) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

It is at Connecticut Ave. along with other goodies.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  31. starrdogg

starrdogg Crusader (786) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Thanks, turned out they got more in! I stopped by last night as well and grabbed some.

32. Slack

Slack Savant (903) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Town Center Market in Riverdale has Abraxas on tap and is slated to have BCBS 15 & 17 on tap tonight.

33. coquet

Trader

Perennial Sump on the shelf at WF Duke St. as of this morning. Also saw it at CBC yesterday.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  34. Myst

Myst Aspirant (278) Dec 13, 2011 Maryland

Anyone know if they still have westy12 at black squirrel in dc?

35. grover37

Society Trader

I shudder to think what that costs. I'll put the line at $28 and take the over.

36. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,254) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

Staying in Silver Spring for a few weeks in late March/early April. Won't have a car so I'm looking for relatively easy places to get to via the metro +/- Uber. More specifically, I am looking for good beer + dining options to go out to most nights while I'm there.

I already have these beer-centric destinations on my list to visit:
    Church Key
    Sovereign
    DC Brau

But are there any personal recommendations for places to get a good beer, selection wise? And bottle shops for when I want to find something cool to take back to the AirBnB to drink on a more quiet night? I've heard many things about 1 West Dupont and its excessive secondary-esque prices and may go visit just to take a gander, but I'm more looking for a place with a great and fresh single bottle selection so I can try and tick off a bunch of local beers.

I'm not so sure about Silver Spring itself. Looking at the BA places section, Quarry House Tavern is the only place with a fair amount of decent ratings. Any insights regarding Silver Spring?

37. grover37

Society Trader

Avoid Denizens. I wouldn't bother with Quarry House. Scion is probably the best option up there, but that doesn't say much.

Brau isn't Metro accessible, and isn't really a destination taproom - arguably worth checking out though if you have the time.

Meridian Pint is only four stops in Columbia Heights, but you have to transfer to green/yellow at Ft Totten. You can make an afternoon of that though, stopping at Dvines and Odd Provisions for bottles and there are a bunch of other bars and restaurants close. Smoke & Barrel in Adams Morgan isn't far either - Jack Rose, Roofers Union, and Black Squirrel are a couple other options over there.

Two stops further on green/yellow (Shaw/Howard) gets you to Right Proper, the best brewery in DC. ANXO is a few more blocks towards Ledroit Park. This also gets you close to U St, Logan (CK), and reasonably close to Dupont (Paradiso, Big Hunt, etc.).

DCBeer has a useful map that you can layer onto Google Maps: http://www.dcbeer.com/beermap.

#117 grover37, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  38. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (802) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

I would recommend skipping DC Brau. It isn't close to anything else, it's not easy to get to, and their beer *sighs*

For bottles/cans, go to CBC on H St. Take the red line to union station and it's just a few blocks. If the weather is nice (it could be 80 degrees in late March or snowing), you could then walk to Union Market which is about 5 blocks north of there and hit up The Bruery store and Red Apron.

#118 hoppytobehere, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    b-mc-g and Stevedore like this.
  39. coquet

Trader

You'd have to be really good at arguing to convince me to venture to the middle of nowhere in NE to pay near-top dollar for beers that range from mediocre to drain pour.

This man speaks the gospel.

Stevedore likes this.
  40. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,254) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

Damn. I hadn't realized things had changed so much in the last few years. I really liked the cans of OTWOA that I'd gotten in trades in the past.

Thank you all for the advice, @grover37, @hoppytobehere and @coquet, I like the idea of heading to Adams Morgan for a couple different evenings after looking up Meridian Pint, Smoke & Barrel, Jack Rose, Black Squirrel, etc. I had heard Bruery was opening a store, but didn't realize it was already open. Lots of cool options, going to have to plan things out based on the DCBeer.com map. Awesome, thanks again for the help!

VABA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.