DC/MD/NoVA Beer Updates (2018)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Slack, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (859) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

Dominion still has it on draft as of now.

VABA likes this.
  2. MRN

MRN Initiate (152) Jul 20, 2007 Virginia

From this week's Norm's Beer & Wine newsletter for 20th anniversary events on Saturday, 7 April:

Founders tasting 1:00-4:00 - Katie's pouring Solid Gold, PC Pils, Breakfast Stout, and Centennial IPA...AND KBS WILL BE TAPPED ON THE GROWLER STATION @ 1pm!

3. Myst

Myst Aspirant (278) Dec 13, 2011 Maryland

They still have CBS, KBS, and westy 12 at black squirrel

4. dukieox

dukieox Initiate (76) Apr 27, 2011 Virginia

KBS 4-packs at Westover. $30

5. Slack

Slack Savant (903) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Has 2018 Daylight Cravings bottles shown up in NoVA yet?

6. Sage954

Sage954 Initiate (40) Jul 8, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

Picked some up at TW McLean this weekend. Pretty good beer for 9.99$ a four pack.

7. b-mc-g

b-mc-g Initiate (181) Mar 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

16 oz cans?

8. Sage954

Sage954 Initiate (40) Jul 8, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

Yes. 16oz cans

9. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (3,735) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

The were a few 4-pks of KBS at TW in Alexandria...

10. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (3,735) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

Has anyone seen Waldos in the area?

11. SlothB77

SlothB77 Devotee (495) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia

I am going to check it out on Saturday. Apparently they are selling cans for $11 or so out of their Aslin van in an empty parking lot with a food truck. Cans only, no draft. Closer to the stadium than Bluejacket. Great for out-of-towners who want to try to Aslin.

12. kingholmes

kingholmes Initiate (74) Jun 10, 2015 Virginia

I think $11 is a lot of cash for a beer. But it is right at the stadium and they are charging as much or more for domestic beers inside. It seems like quite a deal for people that do not get out to Aslin in the burbs. If I was traveling to a ballpark in the northeast and they had the same setup outside a stadium with Treehouse or Trillium or Alchemist, I would not hesitate. And there is no way around it, Aslin makes awesome beer.

13. rightcoastn

rightcoastn Initiate (23) Nov 6, 2010 Maryland

$11 for a pint of Aslin in a beer garden setting doesn't sound too excessive. It's on par with the $8-9 12oz pours at bars around town. I realize it's more than $18/4, but they also have to lease the site, lease the furniture, pay for insurance, etc.

On a different note, Calvert Woodley got in some Singlecut Cold Fire that was canned two weeks ago.

Edit - I'm pretty sure they posted a menu pic on ig the other day and cans at the garden go for $8-12 depending on beer.

14. dkol1875

dkol1875 Initiate (20) Feb 12, 2018 District of Columbia
    Trader

Has anyone here gone to the beer garden yet? Lines insufferable?

15. eastie

eastie Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2018 District of Columbia

We stopped by before the game on Sunday and there were maybe a couple dozen people there. But it was also freezing out for an 8:00 game that wasn't heavily attended. We walked by after last pitch on Opening Day as well and it was much more crowded, but not at capacity. I think when this catches on there is going to be a line to get in most afternoons.

Cans were $8-11 ($11 for Starfish, the other 3 or 4 available were $8 or $9). Yeah, it's not cheap, but you're paying at least that much for swill the next block over at the Bullpen. Not a hard choice if you aren't going hit Bluejacket or Justin's before going in.

16. MattXT

MattXT Defender (632) Nov 23, 2010 Virginia

I’ve been twice, Sat and Sun, which were cold days. No line, plenty of capacity, quick service, and I think the prices were fair. You’re mere steps from the stadium and the pints are cheaper than the garbage inside. If that doesn’t float your boat, the good alternatives are BlueJacket, Salt Line, and the new All Purpose Pizza (good taps).

b-mc-g, Sheppard and Beers-es like this.
  17. starrdogg

starrdogg Crusader (786) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Hit up the Aslin beer garden before last night's game and there was hardly anyone there! I was shocked given how wonderful the weather was. There was literally no line! I'd definitely recommend the Magnify guest beers they have right now. The Peak of Righteousness was especially excellent if you're into nelson hops.

b-mc-g and Beers-es like this.
  18. Cpmitchno1

Cpmitchno1 Savant (977) Jan 7, 2015 Virginia
    Society

Anyone ever see Waldo's bottles in NOVA or DC? I've seen it on tap, but never saw bottles. Also, any ideas as to when Parabola will be in the area?

VABA likes this.
  19. MetroWineAndSpirits

MetroWineAndSpirits Initiate (34) Mar 3, 2018 District of Columbia

Plenty of Waldo's in stock here in NW DC.

ArlVABeerGuy, Cpmitchno1 and VABA like this.
  20. Slack

Slack Savant (903) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Dominion posted having Waldo’s

VABA likes this.
  21. grover37

grover37 Meyvn (1,289) Nov 14, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

Does Aslin post their beer garden can list anywhere?

22. Evb721

Evb721 Initiate (57) Mar 13, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

23. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Zealot (596) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Society Industry

We have set our grand opening for Rocket Frog Brewing, in Sterling for May 19. We should have 5-8 taps and hope to see you all there.

[​IMG]

Sheppard, zp6167a, coquet and 3 others like this.
  24. b-mc-g

b-mc-g Initiate (181) Mar 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Anyone hearing anything re. Savor week? I see the Brewers Brunch at CK and remember Jace saying the Pint was doing Fremont on the 31st. I'm hoping for some good events, especially since there hasn't been much in terms of tap takeovers recently.

Topease likes this.
  25. Sip404

Sip404 Initiate (84) Feb 27, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

I did very little looking so I'm sure there are more events, but here are some listed on Savor's "Savor Week" page. https://www.savorcraftbeer.com/key-info/week-events/

Edit: DC Beer currently doesn't have very much for Savor week either. I bet we'll hear about the events in the next 2 weeks or so.

b-mc-g likes this.
  26. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,244) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

Does anyone know if Modern Times (San Diego) is available in this area?

27. Sip404

Trader

We see bottles of it in Northern VA more and more regularly.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  28. starrdogg

starrdogg Crusader (786) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

We get occasional drops in DC, maybe 2-3 times per year. I'm not entirely sure what the deal is honestly. They certainly don't distribute here regularly, but it's also been several drops over the course of more than a year, so ???

29. ItchyMitch

ItchyMitch Initiate (44) Apr 1, 2014 District of Columbia

Modern Times is sold here by a small distributor and appears roughly twice a year. About a month ago a drop of 4 cans came into town. I'd guess most places are out of them though it appears that you can still order all of them as well as a couple bottles from a previous drop. At this point, the IPA's would be fine but not super fresh so I don't know who'll pick them up.

Odd Provisions still has some Modern Times Ice and Lomaland left in stock. While I'm shilling, fresh Commonwealth drop today of Big Papi and Papi Chulo, should see some Singlecut DDH Full Stack on Friday, Parabola should be Thursday (I'll get full confirmation tomorrow), and whatever other goodies come my way.

b-mc-g, Cpmitchno1 and Sip404 like this.
  30. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (274) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I thought the standard stuff was in cans.

31. Sip404

Trader

I’ve seen some of those as well but I almost always see bottles that’re bigger than 12 ozs. NoVA probably has the cans as well if they’re getting seasonals.

32. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (100) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

I've seen Orderville and Universal Friend (bottles). There was one other bottle I've seen. Orderville was decent, but not worth the extra $$, IMO. I haven't tried the others. I did also get to try City of the Dead stout at a couple of bars in the area.

33. MetroWineAndSpirits

MetroWineAndSpirits Initiate (34) Mar 3, 2018 District of Columbia

Sam Adams NE IPA will be in town Friday for those wondering.

34. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (274) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

It's already in town...on draft at We the Pizza. Decent, but not noteworthy,

35. Cpmitchno1

Society

Has anyone seen Parabola in DC or NOVA? If so, where? Or have you heard any ideas of when it is expected to hit?

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  36. harbinger

harbinger Initiate (67) Jan 30, 2015 District of Columbia

It’s on the shelf at d’vines in columbia heights, 1per, about 6 left 45 minutes ago. I magine it will land elsewhere in town in the next few days.
    They also had 2 bottles of Madagascar in their fridge.

37. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,159) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Parabola 2018 is on the shelf at Whole Foods P St. Waldos also.

ArlVABeerGuy and Cpmitchno1 like this.
  38. grover37

grover37 Meyvn (1,289) Nov 14, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

But Friday is when it will be at Metro, so we should all know about it.

Will this be the next world-class BBA stout to turn into a shelf-turd in 2018?

39. Cpmitchno1

Society

We can only hope... It's a good time to be a beer drinker.

harbinger and jmasher85 like this.
  40. gunpwdr

gunpwdr Initiate (150) Feb 7, 2013 Virginia

FWIW, cases of it on the floor of WF Fair Lakes. $21.99 a 4-pack.

VABA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.