DC/MD/NoVA Beer Updates (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Slack, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (579) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Anyone know how long Aslin bottles last? They're releasing Philadelphia imperial stout Saturday while I'm in DC but I likely wouldnt stop in there until early Sunday afternoon.

Wasnt sure how the demand is at $30 per bottle

2. Topease

Topease Initiate (79) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

The last bottle, El Rio, (barrel aged Bale- probably one of the most hyped bottles to date) was the same allotment/price and lasted until Sunday afternoon. I'd imagine Philly would be the same...possibly longer since it's not a straight BA stout.

3. Topease

Topease Initiate (79) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

Looks like there might be 2 bottles being released Saturday...

4. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (274) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

It would probably sell out faster if they raised the price to $50.

Prince_Casual and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  5. LanguedocRocks

LanguedocRocks Initiate (178) Aug 21, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Their stouts are decent at best, so they're fucking high charging these type of prices for BA stouts IMO. They trade better than they drink.

errantnight, joerooster and dirtylou like this.
  6. Trythevealchild

Trythevealchild Initiate (106) Jun 2, 2014 Virginia

Went on Sunday. It was pretty cool. 6 beers on tap, nothing amazing. Several tables/umbrellas, cornhole, and a dj. Dog-friendly too. DCity Smokehouse was also there with food. Worth checking out for sure.

Sheppard likes this.
  7. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (802) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

does NOVA still get Von Trapp? Haven't seen it around lately and that would suck if they already pulled out of the market

8. ArlVABeerGuy

ArlVABeerGuy Disciple (372) Feb 23, 2012 Virginia
    Society Trader

I’ve seen it recently at Brew Shop and Arrowine in Arlington and Dominion in Falls Church.

Beers-es likes this.
  9. Slack

Slack Savant (903) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Total Wines should still carry it. Also Crystal City Wines.

10. hoppytobehere

Thanks. Looks like TW Ballston and Alexandria only have their vienna style lager, but limited quantities. Probably old stock. Maybe they're waiting on a new shipment? Also haven't seen any Von Trapp at WF (pentagon city) in a few months.

11. rightcoastn

rightcoastn Initiate (23) Nov 6, 2010 Maryland

Two Things -

Is Voodoo selling cans out of their new spot? I was pretty impressed with them when the Bruery store had a Voodoo popup last year, both with the beer and the pricing (I think it was $14 for a 4-pack of the IIPA).

Shout out to Glen's in Dupont for semi-regularly having some great beers on draft @ $18 for a growler fill (less than $20 after tax). Got a growler of Burley Oak Scooby Snacks last night, a growler of Singlecut Grunge DDH IIPA last week, and a growler of Burley Oak Canned Heat the weak before. Have also managed to get growlers of RAR Out of Order.

bl00 likes this.
  12. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,116) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I've seen Helles cans, Pilsner, and the bock at Brew Shop. I was tempted to buy the bock the other night. They always seem to have something from VT, which as a New Englander, I appreciate greatly.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  13. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (579) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Aslin silent release today of Caledonia: imperial stout aged in single malt whiskey barrels with cocoa nibs, marshmallow, and graham crackers

Boungiorno also released..

Great day for me to be visiting DC from Indiana

srw and bl00 like this.
  14. b-mc-g

b-mc-g Initiate (181) Mar 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

I’m assuming people on here have heard, but Meridian Pint closing up shop this weekend. Big bummer as thats my favorite beer bar in DC. Always liked their tap list and enjoyed the dynamic they had-outdoors, two levels with one adult only for sports etc and the other more dining centric. Sad to see it go and curious what this will do to the dc beer bar market.

ArlVABeerGuy and bl00 like this.
  15. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (51) May 15, 2018 Virginia

They are moving to Arlington so not really shutting down.

VABA, bl00, Beers-es and 1 other person like this.
  16. coquet

coquet Initiate (103) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

True, but leaving DC means leaving the gray laws, so I assume we've seen the last of those awesome out-of-distro SAVOR week events (e.g., Fremont, Lawsons, Central Waters) at the Pint. Of the 10ish best beers I've ever had in my life, I knocked three back at MP. Bummer that things will probably have to be different in Arlington.

Speaking of SAVOR week, I've got my fingers crossed for the appearance of some barrel-aged Fremont goodness. Paging @jacewg for any info he might be able to share.

pmarlowe and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  17. LanguedocRocks

Trader

As an Arlington resident, I welcome this change. Besides Rustico, the beer scene pretty much sucks here.

18. hoppytobehere

Damn, Meridian Pint and Eat Bar both shut down this month.

19. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Zealot (596) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Society Industry

Craft Beer Cellars had some Fremont barrel aged bottles for sale last time Fremont was in town for SAVOR I believe.

20. b-mc-g

b-mc-g Initiate (181) Mar 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

I’m not one for geographic hyperbole as many are in this area. But moving over thirty mins away (via car much more via public transit) is essentially shutting down when you’re in a city.

I like the current location quite a bit and enjoyed the ambiance and dynamic they created. Hopefully they can keep some of that in Arlington. Brookland and Smoke are two similar great spots so here’s to hoping that MPs departure just boosts them further.

21. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,116) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Bought cans of the helles today. I will be buying more if they have it in stock. Bock was also available at The Brew Shop.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  22. RKP1967

Still have two of them in my basement. Kegs of their barrel aged stuff have made multiple DC SAVOR related appearances.

23. machpost

machpost Disciple (396) Jun 11, 2005 District of Columbia
    Society

I agree that they've improved a lot. I'm a big fan of their hoppy, higher alcohol IPAs. In that category, they might be the best in the city proper. Their carry out cans have always been excellent as well, but the bottle shop becomes a complete zoo on busy weekend evenings. You'll end up waiting to pay for your beer but nobody ever shows up at the register, then you have to wait in line at the bar to buy it.

24. jacewg

jacewg Zealot (592) Jan 7, 2012 District of Columbia

Yes :slight_smile:

25. danbar

danbar Aspirant (216) Dec 31, 2005 Maryland

Sorry if this is old news but I’ve been out of the loop - where did Al from Conn Ave go? Stopped in this weekend and was shocked to hear he had left. Guy at counter said he had no idea where he went.

26. ArlVABeerGuy

Society Trader

I think he left about a year or so ago — not sure where he went either.

polopaul20 likes this.
  27. jacewg

jacewg Zealot (592) Jan 7, 2012 District of Columbia

More useful information. Getting a large shipment from Fremont. Some of the kegs will be poured during Savor week (at Smoke & Barrel) and a couple might be stashed.

BA Dark Star, BA Dark Star w/Coffee, BA Dark Star Spice Wars, BBomb, Coffee Cinnamon BBomb, Rusty Nail

Plus some Lush IPA, Sky Kraken Hazy Pale, Summer Ale, and regular Dark Star Stout.

dkol1875, Slack, Texwild and 5 others like this.
  28. Slack

Trader

Dominion posted yesterday they received Von Trapped Vienna Lager cans

29. hoppytobehere

Thanks. Mainly looking for their Pilsner but I'm glad they're still in VA.

In other news, Union's new Divine IPA is fucking killer.

BikeChef likes this.
  30. LanguedocRocks

Trader

They have their Kolsch as well, which is drinking awesome right now.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  31. Slack

Trader

Really impressed by Commonwealth’s Pavlova. Anyone else try it? Thoughts?

32. Cpmitchno1

Cpmitchno1 Savant (977) Jan 7, 2015 Virginia
    Society

Anyone seen Parabola around?

33. ArlVABeerGuy

Society Trader

I think the Brew Shop in Arlington just got some.

Cpmitchno1 likes this.
  34. coquet

coquet Initiate (103) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

TW Alexandria has a few left. Probably Springfield too.

Edit: I had to ask an employee for it at the Alexandria store. Not sure if it's on the shelf or not; didn't follow him to see where it was.

Cpmitchno1 likes this.
  35. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (263) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

A friend of mine and I get together to drive out to an area brewery or two every couple of months. Besides the obvious (Ocelot and Aslin), my “great” list is: Manor Hill, Sapwood, Pen Druid, and Astro Lab (Solace, Vanish, and Crooked Run are the ones I’d put in the next tier down). Anywhere great we’ve missed and should head to next?

36. ArlVABeerGuy

Society Trader

Depending on how far you want to drive, Union in Baltimore is a great spot, and of course RVA has a ton of awesome breweries as well.

37. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (3,721) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

I agree with ArlVABeerGuy, RVA is a must. Also, personally I would put Solace ahead of the ones you listed, but they are also worthwhile. And while you’re at it Diamondback in Baltimore (just off I-95) is also worthwhile. Cheers!

bl00 likes this.
  38. RKP1967

For me, the only ones I make a point of visiting with any regularity are Aslin, the Veil, the Answer, and Pen Druid. Sleeper pick is Red Dragon in Fredericksburg. If I lived closer to the Eastern Shore maybe Burley Oak and RAR. Then there's everyone else.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  39. lazyjc22

lazyjc22 Initiate (90) Feb 12, 2010 Virginia

Don't pass up Triple Crossing while in Richmond.

hoppytobehere, montman, Slack and 3 others like this.
  40. RKP1967

They're very good, but one has to drive home.

Redondo_Terp likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.