DC/MD/NoVA Beer Updates (2020)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Slack, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (289) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Tripping Animals is the real deal.

2. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,355) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I don't mind looking up one or two beers on my phone when I'm at the store. When I have to look up several to sift through, then that becomes problematic. I guess the advantage of the current situation (online ordering) is that there isn't necessarily the pressure to make a spur of the moment decision. You can study inventories and decide that way.

If I were running the stores, I would explore putting together some mixed four packs of the new releases. There are plenty of people obsessed with trying the new new. I'm sure a "restocking" adder could be included in the price too. IDK what places are allowing singles but it could be a good way of letting people try things, increasing margin, and possibly move more product.

VABA and Slack like this.
  3. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (262) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

Last summer’s porch beer for me was Bitburger in 16oz 4-packs for $6.99. This summer I’ve switched to the Schloss Eggenberg $6.99 4-packs that have shown up. A great alternative to $13 craft lager 4-packs (though I will say that the Bruery Helles is very good).

hoppytobehere, bubseymour and Slack like this.
  4. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (0) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Aslin no longer uses lactose in their sours? I haven't had one in a while (apizza was the last) and I thought it had lactose, actually thought all their sours had lactose. I really enjoyed their Gose's but they have seemed to stopped brewing those.

5. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

If you look at the Instagram announcements for the last few, you'll notice the beer descriptions are identical to those used for prior batches, except they now omit lactose in the listed ingredients. Someone in their Facebook fan page indicated Aslin switched to maltodextrin for their lactose intolerant customers.

6. Slack

Slack Savant (942) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Arrowine and Dominion typically had singles available for purchase. That didn't convey to the online system. A mixed four pack is a great idea but I think the stores make more money off singles than 4 packs.

VABA and Sheppard like this.
  7. Slack

Trader

Speaking of Arrowine, is it just me or has there offerings gone down?

8. Sheppard

Trader

In terms of anything in particular? I have been out of the DC area for a couple of weeks, so haven't really been keeping up. I know Brew Shop was turning over product, but not kegs. Noticed some of the same at Arrowine.

9. Slack

Trader

The other spots - Dominion, Norms, Brew Shop, etc

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  10. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Bitburger is a staple in my fridge even with the price increase from $5.49 to $6.99 recently. I've also seen 4 packs of Gaffel Kolsch for $8.99 and that is a perfect summer beer.

BikeChef likes this.
  11. Sheppard

Trader

I've never been because I am too close to Brew Shop not to go there. I have followed Arrowine on social for a while and don't think too much has changed besides the focus being on weather appropriate beers. Also, I think it took them a while to get their web store reflecting their full inventory. Not sure though. I feel like their inventory has seemed cleaned out from time to time.

VABA and Slack like this.
  12. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Seeing no responses, I felt it was my duty--nay, my privilege--to deliver answers. I snagged Coastal Sunshine: Dragon Fruit, Passion Fruit, Mango and Coastal Sunshine: Tangerine, Passion Fruit, Mango, Soursop. Both shared characteristics differentiating Humble Forager's sweet 'n sour offerings from others available here. For instance, both had a sweetness more closely resembling real fruit than the more dessert-like brews from Drekker. The Humble Forager beers both reminded me of Tang--very similar to actual fruit juice but without quite hitting the mark. The Humble Forager sours were full bodied, but they didn't have that milkshake-like goopiness that so many from Drekker deliver. Overall, I'm glad I tried them, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy others.

13. Slack

Trader

Thanks for the write up.

14. Slack

Trader

Having bought the latest two Coastal Sunshine variants, I am very much in agreement. This is pretty much a lower sugar version of fruit juice with a distinct but mild sourness. They are enjoyable but would prefer a bit more on the sourness end. Here is my shameless plug to trading can for can to the previous versions :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. brennser

brennser Initiate (110) Feb 22, 2010 District of Columbia

Can you get Rothaus Pils in DC proper? If so does anyone know who distributes it?

16. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,636) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

I got a six-pack at the total wine in McLean a few weeks ago. I wouldn’t know about dc proper.

17. ItchyMitch

ItchyMitch Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2014 District of Columbia

I generally have Rothaus in stock at Odd Provisions in Columbia Heights and do at this time. Legends distributes it in DC and MD.

Slack and Sheppard like this.
  18. cbbjr

cbbjr Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 District of Columbia

This may be old news to some, but apparently Melvin is now regularly distributing to DC. CBC has the IPA, 2x4, Pilsgnar, and a couple of others. I am pretty happy to hopefully have new, continuous access to world class west coast IPAs (and Neighborhood Provisions had Alpine Duet recently).

errantnight and dirtylou like this.
  19. BikeChef

Have tried the Melvin IPA and Hubert pale ale so far— they’re good. Was really impressed with the Alpine stuff, though— way better than when Green Flash was contract brewing and distributing it here a few years ago.

errantnight likes this.
  20. errantnight

errantnight Savant (929) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

Craft Beer Cellar on H Street usually carries (and I usually buy)

hoppytobehere likes this.
  21. Topease

Topease Initiate (72) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

OH ivy city announcement on Instagram.

22. errantnight

errantnight Savant (929) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

An announcement about upcoming announcements no less! Love a good announcement matryoshka.

BikeChef, Topease and beerman2017 like this.
  23. Slack

Trader

A bit off topic but curious if anyone has went to Dominion WnB outdoor patio during the day? Inlaws suggested going there or Bull Run winery. Having been to the winery, they are pretty regimented about table spacing, social distancing, and cleaning. I feel comfortable having my senior inlaws in that kind of environment. Can anyone comment to their experience at Dominion?

24. Sheppard

Trader

Any can't miss Festbiers and Märzens in NOVA (brewed or distributed to)? Trying to devote all my fall beer purchases to them.

25. BikeChef

I’m hoping I can find some Sly Fox Octoberfest here in DC again. Got some last year and thought it lived up to the hype as one of the best domestics. Picked up Bitburger Oktoberfest other day, which is new to the US this year, I think. Haven’t opened one yet, though.

Sheppard likes this.
  26. Sheppard

Trader

Oh, does Sly Fox distribute to DC? I had their Oktoberfest on draft and thought it was awesome. Would love to snag some. Grabbed some Bingo Oktoberfest, which is pretty good, but definitely on the bigger, richer side - which I would rather pair with cooler weather and college football. Let us know how the Bitburger is.

27. ArlVABeerGuy

ArlVABeerGuy Disciple (365) Feb 23, 2012 Virginia
    Society Trader

Port City is one of the best. New Realm’s is good; Great Lakes and Von Trapp are excellent. If you go into DC or MD Bell’s is one of the best.

Sheppard likes this.
  28. LanguedocRocks

LanguedocRocks Initiate (170) Aug 21, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

von Trapp - Oktoberfest

ArlVABeerGuy and Sheppard like this.
  29. Sheppard

Trader

As a New Englander, I definitely have VT on my list. Wanted to try some new things so that's why I grabbed the Bingo and, more recently, the Brothers Craft (which tasted like they used Czech/Bohemian yeast). Definitely will go to Port City, VT, or something German next. If I venture to DC, I'll definitely try and grab some Bell's.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  30. Sheppard

Trader

Drinking a Port City Oktoberfest right now and this was a good call. Think I had this sparingly last year. Glad to grab a full sixer this year. Might have to grab more. Might also make an exception in Oktoberfest/Märzen only policy to get the German Pils.

Beers-es likes this.
  31. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (895) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

If you're looking for a good pilsner, I'd give Hardywood Pils a try. I think it's excellent.

32. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (895) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

PS: If it came in 16 oz cans I'd buy it all the time. They stopped bottle recycling in my town, so I almost always buy cans now.

33. Sheppard

Trader

Hardywood Pils is good. I prefer cans, although I'm not restricted like you. My go to Pils is Ardent. Port City's German Pils release is like their monthly lager series release, which is why I would be tempted to get it. I haven't had it before and it's supposed to be very good (and in cans).

Beers-es and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  34. Griffin2

Griffin2 Champion (814) Aug 22, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Lou's City Bar is hosting a virtual tasting event of Toppling Goliath beers on September 4th.
    Their guides for the tasting will be Toppling Goliath's Hannah Bernatz and DC beer consultant Jace Gonnerman, who will walk you through a mixed 4-pack of Pseudo Sue, King Sue, and Pompeii plus your choice of either Dolphin Sparkles or Dragon Fandango.
    They are also offering a limited quantity of Double Dry-Hopped King Sue bottles, available as an add-on for this tasting. All orders must be picked up at Lou's, and are served with our House-made Chips in flavors Salt & Pepper, Old Bay, and BBQ. Plus, all purchasers are entered into our raffle for a bottle of TG's extremely limited release, Morning Delight Imperial Coffee Maple Stout. Visit their Eventbrite for tickets and full details on the tasting and each beer: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/toppling-goliath-virtual-beer-tasting-tickets-117800577699

I'm not familiar with Lou's City Bar, but this seemed like a fun thing to do on a Friday evening.

errantnight and Sheppard like this.
  35. RKP1967

Indoor bars and indoor dining shouldn't even be open at this point.

Sebowski likes this.
  36. Griffin2

Trader

I don't really disagree with you, but this is a virtual event. You pickup up your beer, and drink it at home.

Sebowski, Sheppard and Beers-es like this.
  37. Slack

Trader

What was the price of this event (given that it's currently sold out)?

38. Griffin2

Trader

It was $ 45 for the 4 pack and the online tasting. For $ 20.00 you could add a DDH King Sue bottle.

Slack likes this.
  39. RKP1967

Ah, didn't realize that. Good on them for making it virtual and congrats to them for it selling out.

Sebowski likes this.
  40. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (11) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

Good recommendation, I'd buy a case if a case discount were available but my local stores only do 6 pack pricing.

ArlVABeerGuy and Sheppard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.