DC/MD/NoVA Beer Updates (2020)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Slack, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,355) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

It's so good. If I weren't so determined to get through as many different Oktoberfests as possible, I'd be going back for more. I might sneak in their German pils this week though.

2. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (262) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

Does Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest make it into DC proper? I know it gets to VA, but I'm without a car and don't really want to ride the Metro right now. Any sightings yet this year?

Sheppard likes this.
  3. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (119) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

I saw some PS in Vauxhall. From Dupont, though, no such luck - but I swear the beer scene here in this part of town is absolutely dead.

Sheppard likes this.
  4. mrmsmith

mrmsmith Initiate (113) Apr 22, 2007 District of Columbia

Anywhere with a decent number of singles for sale besides Craft Beer Cellar in DC proper? I'm rarely in that part of town during pandemic times, so wondering about alternatives.

VABA likes this.
  5. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,636) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

You’re in DC, Calvert Woodley, Connecticut Ave. Wine & Liquor, Chevy Chase Wine & Spirits, Rodman’s, Magruder’s and Schneider’s of Capitol Hill. Those are the one I have been to. But I am sure there are many others, look in the Washington DC stores in this database under places.

Prince_Casual and mrmsmith like this.
  6. BikeChef

I don’t think Rodman’s, Schneider’s or Chevy Chase do singles, so they? Harris-Teeter and Calvert Woodley have a semi-decent singles selection. Wardman Wines is the only place I know of besides CBC that lets you buy a single of anything. Wardman doesn’t mark things up as a single, which is nice.

VABA and mrmsmith like this.
  7. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,636) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

They do, it’s a limited selection, plus they have bombers, which are big singles! :grinning:

8. mrmsmith

mrmsmith Initiate (113) Apr 22, 2007 District of Columbia

Anyone seen any Wet Hop IPAs or know which DMV breweries usually make one? Bluejacket is only one I can remember from local brewers, but I know there must be others.

Ryanwithacomb and EmperorBatman like this.
  9. Sheppard

Trader

Corn Crib is back tomorrow at Wheatland Spring. Can't wait to grab some on Saturday.

dkol1875 likes this.
  10. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (93) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

Downtown Crown had Other Half collab Ghost in the Machine for about a minute. Too bad I can't refresh their page every minute while at work. :rofl:
    Same went for the All Citra Everything Experimental.
    Good times.

11. Sheppard

Trader

On the plus side, it looks like Other Half DC is brewing test batches and should be open soon.

12. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Shelter AKA Churchkey SE is open now. Plenty of outdoor seating. Plenty of taps. Lots of stuff to-go including Tired Hands and Other Half cans.

Had some delicious side pulled lagers and an Alien Church. Place rules.

13. hoppytobehere

Ordered a Tired Hands shipment and it arrived today. Cans arrived cold. Alien Church canned on Tuesday. Shit yeah.

$15 shipping for four 4 packs, but no taxes. So really not a bad deal at all.

Beers-es, Sheppard, Topease and 2 others like this.
  14. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (93) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

That's a great deal - most breweries are charging $30+.
    Side note - Other Half DC is now open.

Beers-es, Slack and hoppytobehere like this.
  15. Sheppard

Trader

Hit up Solace Outpost for lunch today on the way back from picking up pumpkins. Only grabbed one beer, but good indoor/outdoor setup. Super chill for a Sunday. Easy parking. One negative is they have 4 sauces for their chicken and none of them are good. The chicken itself is great.

16. almostjay

almostjay Initiate (0) May 24, 2008 Virginia

Has anyone seen Born Yesterday in stores yet?

DavidHume, colty42 and hoppytobehere like this.
  17. almostjay

18. Slack

Slack Savant (942) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Norm's

almostjay likes this.
  19. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (895) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

I picked up a 4-pack today and it is fantastic. Reminds me of the best Born Yesterday with a kind of hop candy thing going on, but a bit more substantial feel than Born Yesterday, which can be a little thin. Thanks for the rec!

Slack likes this.
  20. Sheppard

Trader

Bingo Black Lager made it to distro and if you like Schwarzbiers, it's worth checking out.

bubseymour likes this.
  21. almostjay

Found it! [​IMG]

Not quite Born Yesterday, more like two weeks ago, but this will work. TW in McLean.

22. Auburn_tigers

Auburn_tigers Initiate (34) Feb 28, 2015 Virginia

Most TW should have it at this point. Just saw sucks at Wegmans Fairfax as well

23. DavidHume

DavidHume Zealot (570) Mar 25, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

It's at the Alexandria Total Wine, too.

24. hoppytobehere

BY is fantastic this year

Auburn_tigers and DavidHume like this.
  25. Sheppard

Trader

Is there any Port City Rauch Marzen still kicking around somewhere?

26. sportstsar

sportstsar Initiate (162) Jan 23, 2012 District of Columbia

Apologies if this information is floating around elsewhere, but has anyone created a list of breweries now shipping to DC? Seems like there are a lot more options over the past few months. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are The Veil, Triple Crossing, Benchtop, Tired Hands, Jackie O's, Equilibrium, Threes, Hudson Valley Brewing, Modern Times (granted a very limited selection)

27. Sheppard

Trader

I don't think so. Not like they have for Virginia (in the South-Atlantic forum).

28. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,147) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Westbrook distro seems to have hit the Maryland market. Noticed the Gose and Two Claw and maybe 1-2 other canned options in the stores around Frederick last week. Fingers crossed some Mexi Cake makes it up this way.

colty42 likes this.
  29. Jayjaybman

Jayjaybman Initiate (173) Apr 18, 2014 District of Columbia
    Trader

I’m ISO Westbrook Gose, which store did you see it in? Or any recommendations for an app to find it? BeerMenus used to be good for this, but isn’t updated much anymore

30. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,147) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I was at District East Beer Store in Frederick about an hour ago. They had the 12oz sixers of Gose, TwoClaw, White Thai, Westbrook IPA and a 16oz can of Helles lager I think as well.

Jayjaybman likes this.
  31. Beers-es

Will Other Half DC distribute to Virginia? Curious.

32. Sheppard

Trader

Would you prefer distro or a better version of their current shipping model?

33. Beers-es

I'd prefer they distribute to Dominion, which is a few blocks from me. :grin:

Sheppard likes this.
  34. Griffin2

Griffin2 Champion (814) Aug 22, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

They must have heard your request. These are currently available at Dominion:

-'DDH Patchwork V1' Imperial IPA (8.2% ABV) "Patchwork was devised as a series to highlight our hand selected Mosaic hops mixed up with a few of our other favorites in the hop cannon. We worked with artist @eiziv to make these cool labels. V1 contains Motueka and Nelson Sauvin from our friends @freeestylehops in addition to all that Mosaic goodness."⁣

-'Double Space Gems' Imperial IPA (8.0% ABV) "Our Gems series of beers always have Citra lead the way but this version has Galaxy and Cashmere hops along for the ride."⁣

-'Diamond Reflection' Imperial IPA (8.4% ABV) "This Galaxy forward DIPA is brewed with 2-Row, oats and wheat and also hopped with Mosaic, Idaho 7 and Cashmere."⁣

-'Green Dots' IPA (6.8% ABV) "Unfairly packed with some of the greatest hops: our hand selected Citra, Strata and Riwaka. Can't go wrong."⁣

-'CananDANKua' Imperial IPA (8.0% ABV) "Dope and dank. Hopped with Citra, Idaho 7, Columbus and Cascade."⁣

35. Beers-es

NICE, thanks for the heads up!

36. colty42

colty42 Initiate (84) Nov 14, 2011 District of Columbia

Hey, so Port City has been killing it recently with these German-style beers. Enjoying their Colossal IX Weizenbock at the moment and damn if it doesn't beat out some of the German iterations of the style I've had. I also enjoyed their Rauch Marzen. Both styles are sorely lacking on the shelves in the current environment and I love that Port City is doing them and doing them very well.

37. Sheppard

Trader

Haven't had the Colossal and missed out on the RM, but couldn't agree more about Port City and the German styles.

MGarret, ArlVABeerGuy and colty42 like this.
  38. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Any word on how bottle shops are handling the BCBS release this year? It sounds like TW is trying a "business as usual" approach, which seems less than safe given the circumstances. I don't think I've heard any plans from any other shops.

39. Colbyamoss

Colbyamoss Initiate (23) Oct 21, 2014 District of Columbia

Wheatland Spring is something special. I've been preferring the lower ABV stuff since the pandemic, and they are just hitting the spot for me. Complimentary delivery to NOVA hasn't hurt either. Both Corn Crib and their Pilsner have been fantastic.

40. BikeChef

The RM must have been somewhat limited— tried a few shops in DC, but couldn’t find it. The tmavé they followed it with was very good, though.

ArlVABeerGuy and Sheppard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.