DC/MD/NoVA Beer Updates (2023)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by hoppytobehere, Jan 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colty42

colty42 Devotee (349) Nov 14, 2011 District of Columbia

I could not tell you but I do know most of their releases get some kind of distribution, even if it ends up being limited. Your best bet might be the Total Wines in Virginia. Or you could call the brewery, I'm sure they would be able to tell you if and where you could buy it.

bubseymour likes this.
  2. Griffin2

Griffin2 Pooh-Bah (2,003) Aug 22, 2014 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Per Facebook, Port City will be releasing Colossal Two in 6 packs and draft. It appears to have been released last weekend starting on 2/03/2023.

It's showing up on their beer to go page at $ 15.00 a 6-pack.

bubseymour likes this.
  3. milkshakebeersucks

milkshakebeersucks Pooh-Bah (1,998) Feb 10, 2020 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

#63 milkshakebeersucks, Feb 7, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    bubseymour likes this.
  4. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

One quick update on Landmade. So I bought a 4 pack to-go last weekend of their Ziggy Pale Ale ($19 a 4 pack). It’s a hazy, and It’s quite delicious as well. One of the better <6% ABV pale ales I’ve had in quite a long time. Just thought to update since I wasn’t aware their one hoppy ale on menu was a NE Pale Ale.

Slack likes this.
  5. bubseymour

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

No love loss by me, places like Gordon Biersch always felt too chain-like and generic. No soul or character to them. Speaking of Annapolis, what are thoughts on Forward Brewing? I was passing thru last weekend but only got to sample their Black IPA (which was pretty solid). Just wondering.

milkshakebeersucks likes this.
  6. Beers-es

Beers-es Pooh-Bah (1,751) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Dominion Wine and Beer's upstairs is open again, fyi.

MRN, cjgiant, Slack and 3 others like this.
  7. milkshakebeersucks

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Basically agree about GB. Not a destination more for convenience. Frequented the one in Baltimore more than the one in Annapolis. That one had a great view of the harbor and their Schwarzbier was a favorite, but they have been gone for a few years now.

Liked Forward the one time we visited. Cool neighborhood. Remember having the Ofest and the IPA and enjoyed both.

bubseymour likes this.
  8. ashellen

ashellen Devotee (365) Mar 26, 2009 Virginia

Was there once, last fall. I had a couple of beers and the lady had a couple. We both enjoyed what we had. May have been around the same time as @milkshakebeersucks as I think we had the fest and IPA as well.

We were in town for Baygrass festival which was canceled due to the hurricane. They ended up having a few bands play at Pherm brewing. We ended up spending most of the weekend there. We really liked all of the offerings at Pherm and would recommend it to anyone passing through.

9. bubseymour

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There is a wider discussion on The larger “Beer Talk” forum about breweries that sell to-go single cans or a mixed 4 pack etc. as opposed to customers only able to buy in a same beer/4 pack which seems to be more of the industry norm. I have intel that Sapwood sells individual cans/mixed 4 packs, but are there any other breweries in the DMV that does this?

Slack likes this.
  10. milkshakebeersucks

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

#70 milkshakebeersucks, Feb 15, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  11. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I was in Fairfax VA area for work for a couple nights - and just want to say that I was pretty impressed by the quality of the beer list at B-Side, which was within walking distance of my hotel.
    [​IMG]
    Of the couple local breweries I checked out, I enjoyed the Schwarbier and Doppelbock at Caboose Commons. The three beers I drank at Settle Down Easy were meh, fine but not memorable.

cjgiant, Slack, Sheppard and 4 others like this.
  12. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Pooh-Bah (1,982) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia
    Pooh-Bah Society

oh god I miss Eatbar.

mrmsmith likes this.
  13. bubseymour

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Wow, that’s probably the best list of top-shelf beer options from breweries around the country combined with great locals I may have ever seen.

14. Slack

Slack Pooh-Bah (1,974) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I went there a couple years back for a rare barrel tap takeover and it was fantastic. I just wish I lived closer.

15. BikeChef

BikeChef Pundit (912) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society

Elder Pine sometimes has pre-mixed (as in they pick) 4-packs for sale, and the Brookland location of Right Proper sells pre-mixed 6-packs. Wish more breweries allowed you to mix your own 4-pack.

16. RKP1967

RKP1967 Savant (1,126) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

With five Fidens DIPA's on draft and two more in cans, High Side beats BSide this weekend .

Topease, VABA and Beers-es like this.
  17. Beers-es

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Wish I could have made it. But I was happy enough with multiple Monkish beers at Dominion.

Topease and VABA like this.
  18. machpost

machpost Aspirant (286) Jun 11, 2005 District of Columbia

I always came away from that location disappointed. The Mclean Total's beer selection is vast in comparison.

VABA likes this.
  19. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Pooh-Bah (1,982) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia
    Pooh-Bah Society

Other Half DC has really gotten their shit together. I gave them chance after chance the first year and eventually stopped because it was that bad.

But ever since visiting their brewery last Fall and being pleasantly surprised with the tap offerings, I have been cautiously giving them more chances. And you know what? It's fucking delicious. I just had the latest batch of All Citra Everything and it is outstanding. I recall having the same beer a couple years ago and it was close to a drain pour. Not this one.

Credit where credit is due. I am glad to be purchasing their beer again. Aslin: take notes, for the love of god.

20. Beers-es

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, I preferred the OH Anniversary #4 (DC) over #3 (Brooklyn), though they were both really good. And glad to hear about All Citra Everything. I too had stopped buying their stuff, but will revisit.

VABA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.