De Dolle Brouwers

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by atomeyes, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Euroglot

Euroglot Disciple (324) Dec 16, 2015 Belgium
    Trader

I read in the local newspaper that in the beginning of April, a themed 'Dolle Brouwers Pub' will open in Tokyo. It is a private initiative but supported by the Dolle Brouwers (the headbrewer will attend the opening of the new pub on April the 8th). There will be Oerbier en Arabier on tap and maybe the seasonals also...

2. Albin

Albin Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2013 Sweden

Guess it's the same guy that owns St Bernardus Café and the Delirium franchise?

3. Euroglot

Trader

I think the Delirium franchise is (partly) owned by Huyghe, the brewery. I have no idea about the St Bernardus café though

4. donald_w7

donald_w7 Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2016 Germany

I got the impression from the article (admittedly translated from Dutch by google) that it was an enthusiastic Japanese De Dolle fan who was behind it.

5. Albin

Anybody know the open hours of De Dolle? Is there a bar?

6. RudiDV

RudiDV Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2015 Belgium

The Brewery Is Open On Saturday And Sunday From 14 Till 19h
    open 1 may and closed 15 may
    Closed In The Week
    Tour In English On Sundays At 14h. every sunday ,no reservation .

And yes, they have a nice bar.

also
    see: http://www.dedollebrouwers.be/en/welcome

7. Albin

8. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Poo-Bah (1,778) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia
    Society

Wasn't able to visit the brewery, but was very happy to pick up Arabier, Dulle Teve, Oerbier, and Still Nacht at
    Drankencenter Vandamme. My first De Dolle beers, so I'm excited. So many beer stores were closed Monday, I almost left empty handed.

9. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,413) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

did they stop making the Oerbier?

10. HopBelT

HopBelT Poo-Bah (1,738) Mar 18, 2014 Belgium
    Society Trader

Hell no !!
    Why ?

11. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,413) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Their website makes it look like they are no longer producing it.

12. chazmcbro

chazmcbro Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2010 Wisconsin

A batch of Oerbier kegs became available through their importer recently for what that's worth.

13. donald_w7

[​IMG]
    It's got the oerbier logo in big writing at the top. I see that it is not listed under their beers but surely that's more likely an error with the website. It's their signature beer.

atomeyes and keithmurray like this.
  14. atomeyes

atomeyes Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2011 Canada (ON)

i don't think De Dolle's known for their website :slight_smile:

Oerbier will be around as long as De Dolle's around. now, i'd argue that their signature beer is Arabier, but that's for another discussion

CaptainPiret likes this.
  15. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (419) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Let's have that discussion! I think it's Oerbier, for the name if nothing else (but the jackets if you need another).

16. donald_w7

And their logo is the Oerbier man.

17. atomeyes

well, the yeast cell is their icon. so yeah, Oerbier's what they're known for.
    i bet that if you ask Kris and Els, they'd probably suggest Arabier. and for its simplicity, i'd have to argue that their signature beer is indeed Arabier. shows off Kris's skills the best.
    is it my favourite? nope. all of their sours win that award.
    but i appreciate what Arabier is.

donald_w7 likes this.
  18. DiUr

DiUr Initiate (197) Aug 14, 2014 Spain

Really loved Arabier on tap back in the days. And pretty excited about the Oerbier bottle i bought yesterday because of this thread.

donald_w7 likes this.
  19. ManforallSaisons

Very interesting. I did get the chance to ask Kris this weekend, a few different ways (what your signature, flagship, most distinctive, most representative -- but I avoided saying 'best'), and the answer remains: Oerbier. But he does a lot of different stuff playing off the Arabier, so it depends how you look at it.

donald_w7 and atomeyes like this.
  20. atomeyes

let's drink to that on November 13!

21. ManforallSaisons

Whoa, what's on Nov. 13? Do they do an anniversary thing? I'm putting this date on my calendar and looking forward to it; please tell us why.

22. atomeyes

it's a very, very special day.
    it's when i'll be at De Dolle. :slight_smile:
    i'm staying in West Flanders Nov 12-13.
    12 will be at de struise and maybe a quick visit to Verzet and/or Westvleteren, 13 will be a quick drive to In de Verzekering tegen de Grote Dorst and then lots of leisure time at De Dolle with Kris and Els.
    and maybe you and some other locals?

23. donald_w7

FYI The 12th is the open brew day at Cantillon.

24. atomeyes

all the more reason to be in West Flanders :slight_smile:

donald_w7 likes this.
  25. atomeyes

i should probably expand on that thought, since i do love cantillon and like jean a lot.
    no desire to be there with crowds. can probably get most of the beer to drink 2 days later.
    can watch a brewday under quieter circumstances and actually get a chance to spend time talking to jean instead of dealing with a circus.
    plus i wouldn't miss a saturday at Dolle or Struise. too valuable.

HopBelT and donald_w7 like this.
  26. HopBelT

HopBelT Poo-Bah (1,738) Mar 18, 2014 Belgium
    Society Trader

You got that right, mate ! :grinning::grinning::grinning::sunglasses:

atomeyes likes this.
  27. atomeyes

dude, we are gunno do some serious damage. i mean, De Struise is prepared. those fuckers are going to need an extra toilet brush when i'm done with them :slight_smile:
    De Dolle: all the Oerbier pate is mine. MINE.

adkieffer and HopBelT like this.
  28. BimmerRules

BimmerRules Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2016 New Jersey

Howdy folks,

New to this group and a HUGE Belgian beer fan.

I just booked my first trip to Belgium and plan to be in the region between Sept 2 and 4. :slight_smile:

Booked De Dolle's English tour for Sunday (Sep 4).

Never had their beer before and would be grateful for any pointers. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

(FYI my trip overview: first three days in the West Flanders region, two/three days down at Rochefort/Luxembourg, three/four days at BRU.)

29. donald_w7

Sounds awesome. Be sure to check out Dranken Geers near Ghent for a great selection of beers.

There is a nice B&B within walking distance of De Dolle called De Groote Waere. Although it might be better to get a taxi. I stayed there after an afternoon spent at De Dolle. You'll need somewhere close if you want to try all their beers as they are 8%+!!

30. Euroglot

Trader

If you are coming to Brugge, let me know and maybe I can show you around...

31. BimmerRules

Big Thanks!

I am afraid I have miss Ghent for now because I land in BRU on Friday morning and have an appointment at St. Bernardus for Fri 2 pm. Staying overnight @ their B&B for two nights. Then @ De Vrede on Sat afternoon, following by De Dolle on Sun afternoon. (During the day on Sat and Sun, I intend visiting Westvleteren. No chance of ordering online any 12s as I plan to rent the car only on Friday, but I hope I can get a few at De Vrede.)

Now, back to De Dolle: So good of you to warn me about the after-effects of the beers @ De Dolle's. :grinning: Why? I convinced my girlfriend that once I am done @ De Dolle, I can drive down around 6 pm to Luxembourg (she wanted to see that place for a day). I figured it is a three hour drive and so I thought of heading down to Luxembourg on Sunday night itself.

Now I gotta to replan because she does not drive. Hmm....But great to know that there is a B&B within walking distance. Thanks again!

#71 BimmerRules, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  32. BimmerRules

Thanks a lot! So nice of you!

I really really wish I could take you up on your offer because I now realize that I did see Ghent and Brugge during a day trip when I came to Amsterdam a few years back. (So, technically,, this is not my first trip to Belgium.) However, that was the usual touristy stuff and I heard about how nice the place is at night when all the tourists disappear. Would be wonderful to have a local show us around.

However, I have already booked my B&B at other place and don't plan to be @ Brugge on this trip. :slight_frown:

Thanks again for the generous offer.

33. Euroglot

Trader

It's a shame :-). Have fun in Belgium and maybe some other time.

34. ManforallSaisons

Oof, not the easiest schedule if you're getting in that Friday morning from NJ and have to battle the jet lag to get all the way out to Watou. There's certainly time to get there by 2pm but let's hope you get some sleep on the plane over. Anyway, plan on that being a short night, certainly not prolonged by St Bernardus.

The classic pointers for visiting De Dolle are 1. to enjoy the atmosphere of the place, taking in the tour in a leisurely way, with time to chat afterward, and 2. to seek out the Reserva offerings that are nearly impossible to find outside the brewery (and I don't think can be bought to go). However, if you're not familiar with the beers already, you'll probably be fascinated with the standbys, so less pressure on that front.

And perhaps a good thing, because that Sunday schedule sounds ambitious. You don't have to leave the brewery in un-drive-able shape -- it's not like they do a lot of free pouring you're missing out on -- but I can't see passing up the chance to have one or two in their bar before moving on. But even if you eschew all that and just buy some bottles to go, you'd have to leave straightaway, and really haul it, to get down to Lux City by 6. But what I really can't imagine is what's there on a Sunday night to rush down for anyway? It's a picturesque place and I wouldn't try to talk your girlfriend out of going, but I would keep expectations very, very low. You can probably find somewhere great along the way in the Belgian Ardennes for dinner, and tour Lux the next day. ... But if you stick to the plan of going straight down there, for what it's worth, dinner can be 8pm or whatever, no stress. (This is not to say that the whole place is jumpin' at that time, I just mean, for any place that happens to be open on Sunday night, 8-9 wouldn't be an unreasonable time.)

Have a great trip in any case!

BimmerRules likes this.
  35. atomeyes

this is key. it's a really fucking cute brewery. and i find Kris and Els to be adorable (although not everyone may get Kris. and shame on them) and, once you know them, they are very kind, generous people.
    just go and drink. the locals that come and drink are all really nice and are happy to chat you up.

i spend the full time at De Dolle. i get an order of pate and/or cheese and i drink. and then drink some more. and only once have i left in relatively good enough shape to drive (drinking and driving happens at a really awful rate in West Flanders and there isn't the north american stigma by patrons or bars, so be careful). All of De Dolle's beer are high in alcohol and they go down with ease. you can be pretty drunk within 2 hours. so i suggest that any plan involve you staying Diksmuide or having a lift/cab to take you to your B&B. driving to Lux should NOT be an option for a # of reasons.

only plan on it if you want 1 drink and want to leave the brewery after. if you want to stay for more than 1 drink? stay until close

BimmerRules and ManforallSaisons like this.
  36. BimmerRules

These are excellent practical points on De Dolle, thank you!

I have never had their beer and now looking forward. Can't wait for Sept to start! :slight_smile:

Based on atomeyes and donald's feedback, I decided to stay put at De Groote Waere on Sunday night so that I can walk back from De Dolle. Already reserved a room.

No hurry to reach Lux and the only reason we are doing that trip is for her to check something out and get to see that small province within a day. So, thanks and I will keep our expectations low. :slight_smile:

In fact, after reading Webb's 2014 Belgium beer guide book, I now think it is better to stay two nights @ the Ardennes region close by Lux instead of staying @ Lux City. Check-in Mon, see Lux City on Tue, check-out on Wed and visit Rochefort, Tin-tin museum (another of my lady's requests :slight_smile:) before reaching BRU that night.

Any suggestions on regions/B&B/hotels close to Lux City?

Thanks in advance!

37. BimmerRules

Yup!! Thanks to you, I decided to spend more time there and hence changed my booking so that I reach there on Sunday mid-morning and explore/drink/unwind at that place the whole afternoon and then crash at the B&B that night.

Separate query: Piraat was my first Belgian beer ten years ago that made me such a big fan of the Belgian beers. Since that brewery (Van Steenberge) also makes another beer that i like a lot (Golden Draak), I am toying of visiting them too. They are open for tours only on Monday, Tue, and Wed.

Since i am not in a hurry to reach Lux on Monday, I wonder if I can drive up to their place on Monday morning (after checking out from De Groote), see the place/10 am tour, and later in the early evening, drive to Lux region. Van Steenberge is about 30 minutes north of Ghent and so it is probably a 1.15 hour drive from De Groote.

What I am uneasy about: the 2.5 hour drive from Van Steenberge to Lux City, which seems to take me thru the ring roads of Antwerp and BRU - both which I read can be a bit intimidating (even though I grew up learning to drive in bad driving cities in India :slight_smile:).

Do you think the above side trip to Van Steenberge on Monday is doable?

Thanks!

38. donald_w7

It's doable. But a full day with lots of driving. It always depends on the traffic. I bet New Jersey traffic worse though.

adkieffer likes this.
  39. adkieffer

adkieffer Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Washington

Driving the ring roads is no worse than driving in traffic around the US. Now if you are driving in Brussels center during rush hour that can get a bit overwhelming and frustrating. Other than those brief traffic spots it is actually a very simple drive. I will be making it this weekend with my son and staying near Turnhout. Lux City can definitely be done in a day if you want to. Some great countryside and castles if you have extra time. Consider booking lunch on the patio at Beim Sigi for the day you are in town. They have a great view and the food is good too. If you are looking for any other Lux recommendations let me know.

Cheers

BimmerRules likes this.
  40. atomeyes

my suggestion?
    most brewery tours are a waste. i'd assume that van steenberge would fall under that category. not sure what you would get out of that tour other than seeing a large plant. and once you have De Struise and De Dolle, you probably will change your mind on Piraat. :slight_smile:

what i would suggest? go to Bruges. go grab a beer at de Garre. pretty sure can steenberge makes their tripel, which i really do enjoy. and you get to visit a really neat bar. i'd rather take the train from Ghent to Bruges and visit the city and de Garre than visit a brewery that will really do nothing.

as someone who lives a 3 min drive from a large brewery and who's been invited to see their new system and canning line and hasn't bothered to take them up on the offer, i'd kind of suggest you do the same. there's nothing overly great about most brewery tours. you're often just looking at stainless steel. yay.

BimmerRules and donald_w7 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.