De Dolle Brouwers

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by atomeyes, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BimmerRules

BimmerRules Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2016 New Jersey

Thanks!

It is not the traffic that bothered me and I am used to driving thru heavy traffic for more than few hours.

It is the road rules there that I am uneasy about - especially the one that allows incoming traffic to join the right-most lane without yielding or stopping.

I assume that would not be a big issue in the smaller roads where one cannot drive @ high speeds; how about the highways?

2. BimmerRules

Great! Thank you! I will time to reach BRU around 4/5 pm when I arrive.

I plan to spend two nights in the Lux region; let me PM you if I have any queries.

Thanks again,

3. BimmerRules

Aah my friend, I have a splendid illogical reason behind the tours/visits: sentiment. :slight_smile:

I know, sounds silly, but it is heartening to visit the places or meet persons who produce products that one cherishes.

Piraat might go down in my ranks after I try other beers, but I will always be thankful to it for being the one to introduce me to the amazing Belgian brews. So, it is not for knowledge that I seek to visit, just the connection and experience.

Reading about De Dolle, the reputation of the beers, and its owners were enough to make me want to go there and see the place (irrespective of whether I like the beer or not).

Few other breweries that I am trying to visit purely based on recommendations:

1. Westvleteren (i know, you are not a big fan but the very fact that the abbey gives a damn about about the huge demand for their beers - and consequently not bothered about making money - makes me very eager to see the place and hopefully get to taste them at that cafe)

2. Following three are based on Webb's book that give them the rare 5 stars:
    (a) De Ranke, (b) Drie Fonteinen and (c) Rulles. Eager to see if I can visit or try their beers and see if they deserve the ranking.

Thanks to this forum and guidance from members like you, i am having an exciting time researching and planning this trip! :slight_smile:

4. donald_w7

donald_w7 Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2016 Germany

I'm not sure about the rule you refer to. If someone is joining the highway then move left if possible to be considerate. But they can't just move into your lane if you're there. You don't want anyone stopping on the highway.

I live in Germany and have always found driving in Belgium and France very pleasant compared to here mainly due to the lower speeds which means everyone is driving more or less the same speed.

And just so I don't get accused of being off-topic: who else prefers their Dulle Teve with some age?

5. BimmerRules

Read something about the 'priority of the right'. Gotta admit that i haven't yet looked at it in depth and whether it applies to both highways and regular roads, but from what I remember, vehicles joining the traffic can freely turn into the right lane without slowing or stopping even if there is traffic on that right lane. Will research and update.

Let us get back to something related to the topic: beer. :slight_smile: Sorry for taking it off side.

6. donald_w7

I just looked it up. It doesn't apply on highways where people merge. Only at intersections. In Germany it mainly applies in residential areas where speeds are very low anyway. Basically, if you are at an intersection that doesn't have any stop or give way signs then you have to give way to any car coming from your right.

May you get to and from your beer related destination safely. (there, beer related post)

BimmerRules likes this.
  7. atomeyes

atomeyes Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2011 Canada (ON)

during my last visit, i talked to Kris about this. the answer: lots of people.
    hops fade a bit and it oxidizes nicely.

he gave me a relatively old one to try. liked it a lot

8. atomeyes

your trip, your rules.
    just not sure if Piraat has a brewer or team that you'd meet. look into it.

my simple answer:
    if it were 2005, then yes, westvleteren's highly recommended. if you're at Struise, then yes, drop by westy. it's 5 min away. but the beer really isn't worth it and neither is the experience. the best Westy 12 is aged, not (too) fresh. and if you think the monks aren't about money, you haven't been to Westy. they aren't Chimay, but they certainly have no qualms about meeting demand and having a hall that seats 150-200 people

3F will have a tap room come september. before that, i'd suggest visiting them wouldn't really be worth it. Rulles, i have little opinion. De Ranke is good but not 5 stars worthy in my books.

De Dolle? limited # of beer, but they're all excellent.
    De Struise? crazy portfolio and doing the best (arguably) barrel-aged beer program in belgium

9. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (419) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Hear, hear. Off-topic alert: A bit of driving in Belgium. 1. Priority on the right is not in play for divided highways (motorways, if you prefer), which work just like everywhere else. The difference is in town. And the priority only applies in the absence of any other signal. So, as you drive along, you have to keep an eye out for inlets, even small ones (not driveways, mind you). However, there are signals at many (most?) intersections. Traffic lights and stop signs are the same. But there are other signs (roadside and painted on the road itself) to indicate when you have to yield, and when you have right away. Google it rather than have me trying to describe. 2. Navigating. The ring-roads can have lots of traffic but not much different than a beltway anywhere in the states. A crucial difference, though, is directions are given by city and country, not points of the compass. For example, if you are coming up to a highway, it won't tell you N S E W, it'll say the big destinations it heads to. For example, say you're somewhere in the Ardennes and getting on the E411 highway -- which you might well take, @BimmerRules. It won't mark the on ramps as north or south, it'll say Brussels for north, and Luxembourg for south (and probably other cities).

BEER-wise, if it helps, you won't have trouble finding Piraat and Gulden Drak in decent shops, probably most sizable groceries, as well. If you haven't done a lot of big-brewery tours or if you read somewhere that it's a particularly evocative experience, and it's not out of the way, I couldn't talk you out of it. I can't quibble with the beers. Similar with Westvleteren -- not the most evocative visit, still fun to go see how Belgian families use a cafe lie that, and the beer is still excellent, of course in a sea of excellence.

BACK ON TOPIC for the thread, this is time when someone probably should explain buying bottles to go at DDB. I'm not entirely clear, myself, on the likelihood of having the full lineup available. Certainly not the seasonals and Reservas, right? But what of the rest? Someone please weigh in.

BimmerRules likes this.
  10. donald_w7

Normally Oerbier and Arabier are available year round, Dulle Teve year round except when Stille Nacht is available (according to the website). Boskeun and Stille Nacht are obviously seasonal and need to be reserved. Having said that the times I have been there, the full line up wasn't always available. Once there was no DT another no Ara. There's also six packs available (mixes of Oer, Ara and DT). I'm not sure about the reservas. I didn't ask as I still have half a box of Oerbier reserva from a previous visit.

11. atomeyes

Oerbier reserva is a summer release, i think. i mean, it depends when it's ready, but last year, it was June.
    I haven't heard anything about it being released this year, which leads me to believe that this is a Stille Nacht Reserva year. i tasted it last November and it was ready to be released then. it was that great.

12. donald_w7

Stille Nacht Reserva.. hmm, might be a good reason for a Belgium trip.

PDawson likes this.
  13. BimmerRules

A quick note to those who responded to my posts; I have sent a personal note of thanks. Didn't want to keep writing about issues in this thread that are not about De Dolle.

Greatly appreciate your feedback! Thanks!

14. atomeyes

15. TomFoley

TomFoley Aspirant (210) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

I had the same thoughts about touring Van Steenberge, but it was a lot of fun, mostly because of our tour guide Andre', he was a hoot. La Rulles is also a good place to visit, and I would also recommend Thiriez

BimmerRules likes this.
  16. Albin

Albin Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2013 Sweden

So the reserva is another '13? Made from the same beer as the SNR'13 that was on the Kerstbier festival the past two years?

17. andrejes

andrejes Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2011 Netherlands

Not for sale to take home!!!! Only drinking in the oerbar!!

18. Anatole

Anatole Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2013 Belgium

No please NO !

19. atomeyes

you sure?
    i thought they meant that it was for sale at the bar i.e. not for distribution

20. andrejes

andrejes Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2011 Netherlands

21. atomeyes

22. donald_w7

Looks like another trip to Belgium to be planned..

23. BimmerRules

Howdy folks,

I returned back tot he US after a FANTASTIC beer trip in Belgium!!

Thanks a ton for all those who guided and provided feedback. My trip was a great success thanks to you! :slight_smile:

De Dolle is my # 1 brewery, period! :grinning: Had a great time there and the tasting the fresh beer there was heavenly!

Loved Oerbier so much that I brought back six bottles from there (+ 12 other beers) and since I couldn't taste Stille Nacht there, kept searching for it when I returned to the US. Got lucky and found that a store in my neighbouring state carried 8 bottles and so ended up driving 70+ miles each way to just to purchase them. Fiinished four of them and wow - they ARE splendid!! :slight_smile:

Side notes:
    - De Groot B&B is excellent. Highly recommend it for those planning to stay overnight there.

- Driving in Belgium was a breeze. I was very careful in sticking to the speed limit and my car (a diesel1 series Bimmer but unfortunately automatic) was a hoot! Thoroughly enjoyed zipping in it around the country.

THANKS AGAIN!

24. Albin

Anything new on the Stille Nacht Reserva? Saw that the regular Stille Nacht 2016 was just released.

25. donald_w7

Maybe Atomeyes knows. He was there today I think.

26. HopBelT

HopBelT Poo-Bah (1,738) Mar 18, 2014 Belgium
    Society Trader

No SN reserva yet...

27. atomeyes

Kris said it's the regular being bottled next week. denied the reserva was being done.
    AND fucking awesome to (briefly) drink with BenBreeg . such a good dude. not your typical beer guy :slight_smile:
    Salutjes

HopBelT likes this.
  28. HopBelT

HopBelT Poo-Bah (1,738) Mar 18, 2014 Belgium
    Society Trader

:slight_smile::wink: Salutjes !

29. ManforallSaisons

Overdue for an update here... anyone?

30. Albin

Saw in another forum that a new reserva has been released. 2013 beer aged for years in barrels. So i guess this is the same beer that was at the kerstbierfestival but aged for two more years.

31. Albin

*aged four years

mltobin and ManforallSaisons like this.
  32. ManforallSaisons

Excellent news. Maybe what I tasted out of a barrel a year or so ago. I left thinking I'd need more than a glass to sort out everything come at me from it.

33. atomeyes

i was at Dolle in July. Came home with two Stille Nacht Reservas. pretty sure it's stamped 2017.

i think it's being sold in the manner that most Dolle special stuff is sold...whenever the hell they feel like it :slight_smile:

that day, I also came away with a much-coveted Oerbier Reserva 75 cL. that kind of shocked me.

Jwale73 likes this.
  34. Tomoki

Tomoki Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2017 Belgium

Hey, does anybody know where I can buy beers from De Dolle Brouwers near Antwerp or Brussels?

35. KjellH

KjellH Initiate (27) Jan 22, 2017 Norway

Belgium in a Box in Antwerp has some De Dolle-products and is not only mailorder but is open for customers as well.

36. CaptainPiret

CaptainPiret Initiate (156) Oct 5, 2009 North Carolina
    Trader

Lots of stores should have their regulars. I used to shop at de Bierschuur and they always had them in stock at good prices. Closer to Leuven is ABS drinks. There are drankenhandels all over Flanders that should have them (de Caigny near Antwerp is quite good, as is Willems & Zoon).

ManforallSaisons likes this.
  37. CaptainPiret

CaptainPiret Initiate (156) Oct 5, 2009 North Carolina
    Trader

Just looked it up, and Bierschuur's price for Oerbier is about €1 lower than online shops.

ManforallSaisons likes this.
  38. ManforallSaisons

Good shops and ABS may even be less than Bierschuur--at least it has seemed that way to me before when I took notice of prices rather than just going kid-in-a-candy-store, how-big-is-my-trunk gaga.

CaptainPiret likes this.
  39. ManforallSaisons

Oerbier Special Reserva... anyone have good notes on a vertical or at least some range of vintages?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.