De Dolle Brouwers

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by atomeyes, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (423) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Guess I'd better report back from my vertical of most/all of the OSR recently. It was fascinating but different than I expected in many ways.

The lineup: 2015 in two different versions (one ~18 months in barrel, one ~24) and two formats (33cl and 75cl, of which the two biggies themselves had substantial difference, one corked and the other only capped plus given an extra sugar dose to help carbonate), 2013, 2010, 2009, 2008 (both formats), 2007, 2006, 2004 (both formats, 2002 (the oer-ORS, I believe!). Pro forma question: Did we miss any? However, bigger picture, I didn't realize there were SO many. We are fortunate drinkers.

Other overall impressions: I expected more of a straight-line evolution. No way. They looked totally consistent -- Kris does know what he's doing -- and have mostly been in similarly sourced barrels, but the results varied widely, vintage by vintage. One of the group did a scoring graph in the classic DDB fashion, and the line veered up and down like the temperature in Belgium. Some older years felt fresher than later arrivals. Some absorbed more or less barrel character, acidity faded or persisted to varying degrees, carbonation even dropped off in a few (hey some of ). Some marked out by big fruit or wood notes. At times it reminded more of tasting expensive balsamic vinegar in Modena, Italy, than it did of other vertical tastings. The middle years really hummed along more like straight-up Flemish red-browns more than showing off their ancestral Oerbier links. Some of the older ones were more barleywine-ish.

I didn't get enough to review or collect more than scant impressions of the individuals. Nor will I reveal favorites! (Like keeping a good restaurant secret to avoid overcrowding.) I would say they were all interesting, I would happily have a whole bottle to myself of any of them, so it's a matter of preference, and in our group, preferences varied a lot.

Albin and alexmeyran like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.